CDC gets list of forbidden words: fetus, transgender, diversity - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
CDC gets list of forbidden words: fetus, transgender, diversity
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... 38fc937677

The Trump administration is prohibiting officials at the nation’s top public health agency from using a list of seven words or phrases — including “fetus” and “transgender” — in any official documents being prepared for next year’s budget.

Policy analysts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta were told of the list of forbidden words at a meeting Thursday with senior CDC officials who oversee the budget, according to an analyst who took part in the 90-minute briefing. The forbidden words are “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

In some instances, the analysts were given alternative phrases. Instead of “science-based” or ­“evidence-based,” the suggested phrase is “CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes,” the person said. In other cases, no replacement words were immediately offered.

The question of how to address such issues as sexual orientation, gender identity and abortion rights — all of which received significant visibility under the Obama administration — has surfaced repeatedly in federal agencies since President Trump took office. Several key departments — including Health and Human Services, which oversees the CDC, as well as Justice, Education, and Housing and Urban Development — have changed some federal policies and how they collect government information about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans.

In March, for example, HHS dropped questions about sexual orientation and gender identity in two surveys of elderly people.

HHS has also removed information about LGBT Americans from its website. The department’s Administration for Children and Families, for example, archived a page that outlined federal services that are available for LGBT people and their families, including how they can adopt and receive help if they are the victims of sex trafficking.

At the CDC, the meeting about the banned words was led by Alison Kelly, a senior leader in the agency’s Office of Financial Services, according to the CDC analyst, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to speak publicly. Kelly did not say why the words are being banned, according to the analyst, and told the group that she was merely relaying the information.

Other CDC officials confirmed the existence of a list of forbidden words.It’s likely that other parts of HHS are operating under the same guidelines regarding the use of these words, the analyst said.

At the CDC, several offices have responsibility for work that uses some of these words. The National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention is working on ways to prevent HIV among transgender people and reduce health disparities. The CDC’s work on birth defects caused by the Zika virus includes research on the developing fetus.

The ban is related to the budget and supporting materials that are to be given to the CDC’s partners and to Congress, the analyst said. The president’s budget for 2019 is expected to be released in early February. The budget blueprint is generally shaped to reflect an administration’s priorities.

Federal agencies are sending in their budget proposals to the Office of Management and Budget, which has authority about what is included.

Neither an OMB spokesman nor a CDC spokeswoman responded to requests for comment Friday.

[This is how the Trump administration has shifted course on civil rights]

The longtime CDC analyst, whose job includes writing descriptions of the CDC’s work for the administration’s annual spending blueprint, could not recall a previous time when words were banned from budget documents because they were considered controversial.

The reaction of people in the meeting was “incredulous,” the analyst said. “It was very much, ‘Are you serious? Are you kidding?’ ”

“In my experience, we’ve never had any pushback from an ideological standpoint,” the analyst said.

News of the ban on certain words hasn’t yet spread to the broader group of scientists at the CDC, but it’s likely to provoke a backlash, the analyst said. “Our subject matter experts will not lay down quietly — this hasn’t trickled down to them yet.”

The CDC has a budget of about $7 billion and more than 12,000 employees working across the nation and around the globe on everything from food and water safety, to heart disease and cancer, to infectious disease outbreak prevention. Much of the CDC’s work has strong bipartisan support.

Kelly told the analysts that “certain words” in the CDC’s budget drafts were being sent back to the agency for correction. Three words that had been flagged in these drafts were “vulnerable,” “entitlement” and “diversity.” Kelly told the group the ban on the other words had been conveyed verbally.

Gonna be fun to watch "diversity" not be mentioned in a CDC report.

Conservatives often whine about "PC culture" telling them what they can't say. Sorry bros, it goes both ways. You're just as dumb.
The OP wrote:Instead of “science-based” or ­“evidence-based,” the suggested phrase is “CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes,” the person said.

Oh good. Precious conservative special feelings are to be considered when we do science now. Somehow I don't think even this will stop the whining.

Well, I’m tired of the word “diversity”, so good. “Entitlement” has also been shitting me for quite some time. “Science based” is a little lazy but it wasn’t yet at peak over use..

I don’t really understand how one is supposed to replace the word “fetus”, maybe with foetus :?:
ness31 wrote:Well, I’m tired of the word “diversity”, so good. “Entitlement” has also been shitting me for quite some time.

Almost like "FAKE NEWS"

I don't like words so they should be banned!
Fake News actually seems to resonate with people. It does for me :D

And it’s not “I don't like words so they should be banned!” It’s more, “I don’t like the over use of certain words and phrases because they lose their potency”.
Zagadka wrote:Yes, but the article is literally banning words people don't like.

It’s referring to the Trump admin banning people in a certain sphere from using them professionally. It might not necessarily be due to PC. It may well be. But it’s probably a way to force people to reword important concepts.

I curious how they will replace fetus and in what context considering it’s for budget papers. Are they aiming for humanization?
The entire list of 7 words is necessarily PC. Each of them can be used in a politically-charged context, but it's also a result of American social conservatives wanting to reverse language they don't approve of because they think it's too progressive or inclusive, like transgender and even, laughably, diversity.

Fetus is a clear example of the political decision to try and change their use of language. The list is an example of GOP-led political correctness.
Here, let me help with some genuine quotes from UK PoFo:

Keep it up Trumpster, make those pinkos eat their words.

Transgender is a pathetic word, that merely panders to weirdos...

He's doing this because it pushes back against the real PC. He's not banning words, he's steering how reports are to use alternative words that do not carry a pro-PC message. The term "evidence-based" is a Leftist term, so instead an alternative is used. He isn't banning anything. Nice try Leftists.
Now you really are pissing in my cornflakes Hugo. The term -evidence-based' has been in use for more than a quarter of a Century.
Perhaps I have not explained clearly. Regardless of when it was used, it is a part of Leftist scientific consensus and that is why Trump is not allowing it to be used on official documentation. Wouldn't want to give a false impression so Trump is naturally avoiding those terms. It has nothing to do with PC or even censorship. That's what the Left does!
Ironic is the fact that Trump isn't controlling language but, the Left have been doing it for hundreds of years with political correctness. Replacing words in a document to avoid cliched terms or terms that the Left use is not controlling language. It is avoiding certain terms that's all. One of the terms he wants to avoid using is having anything to do with gender. It's isn't controlling. It's avoiding (and avoiding and then replacing). Completely different.

The Left don't seem to understand terminology. This is very common for the Left. The Left are also devoid of any traditional philosophy so Artistotle to the Left is just some Greek guy who was Socrates' friend or something, and and Socrates was just another Greek guy. The Left's capacity for knowledge and wisdom is about as vast as a small boy's bedroom.

Allowing for this being the Washington Post, and the words of an " anonymous Analyst" ... it all may be fake spin anyway. However ...

PC-speak usage ... i.e. what words mean now.

vulnerable > is used to refer to poor ethnics and LGBTxyz
entitlement > is used to refer to whites
diversity >is used to refer to all ethnics plus religion, but not white or christian
foetus > still used to refer to pre-birth fully formed babies
"evidence-based" > whose evidence, their evidence
"science-based" > whose science, their science

I actually don't believe this report, but for sure I would love to see all PC-speak disempowered and ditched one by one, and plain simple English used which is not pre-loaded to fit an agenda.

Transgender .. there no such thing, no-one ever changes their gender.
While it's true that the overwhelmingly left-leaning academic establishment itself employs speech codes in order to enforce ideological belief systems on non-political educational frameworks, these 'banned words' (could be media distortion) aren't exactly the most cost-effective remedy. It's not only Orwellian, but also a non-effective 'slap a band-aid on' solution.

This transgender mania needs to be dealt with through other means and the first step is targetting the educational system, which appears to be encouraging this behavioural meme.
Forbidden words in the 21st century? Oh hell no! This ain't the 19th century where people are not even allowed to "come out of the closet"!

Government is no place for people who get easily offended by words like fetus and transgender. Words are only words until someone gives them meaning. All the fraidy cats of the world should go hide behind their mama's skirts and crawl in their widdle man caves and bitch and moan.

Real men don't need to offer substitutes for words. That is pathetic and cowardly.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

You're not ordinary, Qatz. Stop pretending to d[…]

Another resource of degenerates who want to watch […]

There are many ways to approach a construction si[…]

The actual argument (that the definition is being[…]