Ethics Poll - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

What do you think should happen:

We should give the visitors what they need and wish them well
39%
We should imprison the visitors and study/interrogate them to find out what we can for all of humanity
17%
We should imprison the visitors and study/interrogate them to find out what we can and turn it to our advantage
17%
Other(please explain)
26%
By 4cal
Hello. I was wondering what do you think we should do in the following situation. It takes a few jumps in logic but hear me out:

Lets say that one day--tomorrow--a space craft from a distant planet that no scientist had ever seen, theorized to be there, much less discovered... crash lands into a piece of government owned land--the US Government that is. Nobody is hurt; there is no damage except to leave a nasty gash on the ground.

The craft and the occupants are threatening in no way, shape or form. They have no offensive or defensive weaponry at all.

All they need are brown leaves that have fallen to the ground to power their spacecraft to leave immediately and there are tons of leaves all around.

How would you play it?
I would tell them we need to discuss the details, and then hold them for interrogation/dissection, reverse-engineer their spaceship, proclaim the Terran Empire, and conquer their world for the defense of Holy Terra against the xeno hordes.
By Victoribus Spolia
I agree with @Bulaba Jones,

The Holy Terran Empire shall conquer all. Deus Vult!
By ness31
I gave them their leaves and wished them well :hippy:
By Victoribus Spolia
ness31 wrote:I gave them their leaves and wished them well

TREASON!! :knife:
By ness31
That’s how I roll 8)
By Politiks
:excited: Of course in a forum full of Brits and North Americans the most voted answer is

We should imprison the visitors and study/interrogate them to find out what we can and turn it to our advantage 3

Obviously, give them the leaves and wish them well is the logical alternative. Maybe ask them a few questions, invite for a barbecue and a couple beers to learn about "out there". Imprison the poor guys for certain ain't right
By Godstud

We will be horribly at a disadvantage and any aggressive action on our part could be disastrous. Assuming that they need anything from us is hilarious. If they've com across the galaxy to us, they sure aren't going to need anything from us that they can't get elsewhere in greater quantities.

That'd be like assuming if we found a caveman tomorrow, that we'd be there to get something from him. :lol: It's quite laughable!
By Pants-of-dog
Other.

It would depend on several other factors such as their behaviour, their proximity to us in terms of technological advances (if they are vastly beyond us, it would be impossible to reverse engineer their stuff), whether or not their land8ng was public, etc.
By Victoribus Spolia
Politiks wrote:Of course in a forum full of Brits and North Americans the most voted answer is

We should imprison the visitors and study/interrogate them to find out what we can and turn it to our advantage 3

I don't know whether to feel proud by this, or offended by your odd generalization of anglos as barbarians.....hmmmm...

:peace:

I think proud. Yes. I am very proud of this. Thank you
By SolarCross
I voted to let them go. I would invite them to meet our best minds for a friendly chat about where they are from and so on but wouldn't prevent them leaving if they declined the offer. Apart from being the decent thing to do, it is probably the wise thing to do also, call it enlightened self-interest.
By Thunderhawk

It would be in our best interests not to cause grief and a negative image to those who have far superior technological might.
By Ter
Thunderhawk wrote: We should give the visitors what they need and wish them well

It would be in our best interests not to cause grief and a negative image to those who have far superior technological might.

I agree with that.
I would go one further and offer them some nubile young females to demonstrate our good will. I would offer them nubile young males as well but I don't think they have come all the way to indulge in those forbidden delights on our planet.
I think we should interrogate them to discern whether they are a peaceful people and if they have any decent defensive technology. If they are pacifists we should offer them some perks to betray their people and if they don't comply we should torture them, duplicate their tech, and launch an invasion.

On the off-chance they are humanoid that have sexually compatible women that are remotely attractive, we should take their women for breeding purposes and supplant the weak alien males by subjugating them to a life of servitude and import them back earth for that purpose.

After utterly conquering these aliens, we would start a process of conquest and conversion throughout the universe.

I personally would invest in a leaf-collecting business right from the fucking start. BTW. :D
By Drlee
After I determine that I can't have sex with them I would let them go.

And stop by every fall for fuel.
By Oxymandias
My answer is a mix of both option 1 and 3. I would first start by attempting to gain good relations with the aliens, maybe start a little trading and ask some questions about their race and civilization in good faith. As economic exchange occurs and access to alien engineers and resources becomes possible, I would order the analysis and development of a newer, cheaper, and more advanced spaceship made completely using the Earth's resources and the comparative advantage of Earth's atmosphere.

Then I would form one singular union of all other militaries in Earth that would defend the Earth. Through trade with the aliens we have been able to basically "modernize" ourselves to their level and thus become a Great Power within the Milky Way.
By B0ycey
The alien race knows where we live and has the technology to get here. The odds are their weapons are better than ours too.

An agressive move is insane. We cannot win and have everything to lose. So opinion one.
By Bulaba Khan Jones
Rugoz is correct. The timeline from reverse-engineering their technology and then launching an invasion of their homeworld to protect Holy Terra is short and must be done with haste. While I myself might consider my opinions on the matter aggressive, I'm quite surprised at how extremely aggressive and warmongering Rugoz actually is. In any case, I agree with Rugoz's opinions about conquering them as soon as possible.

There seems to be no counter argument to the claim[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

If Hamas were to have built that tunnel, there wou[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/1773436787622[…]

PoFo would be a strange place for them to focus o[…]