Now reading - Page 165 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Tainari88
skinster wrote:That was me who read that, not Tainari.

I suppose I can see how you're confused, since we're both brown and probably all look the same to you. :D

I actually read that book a long time ago. She posed as a waitress and was a reporter and did minimum wage jobs to 'report' on how people live on those wages. I remember her name.....Barbara Ehrenreich. I remember her. I would recommend a cool book by Penguin Books with the title I love that you would enjoy.....Skinster de mi corazon, it is by Nancy Isenberg, White Trash: The 400 year Untold History of Class in America...where La Nancy delves deep into why the White Trash of America had gotten into their roots and their psyche and decided to reveal what class warfare is about in the USA. Its historical roots and where it gets its 'power'.

I liked that book Skinster worth reading for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/White-Trash-400- ... B016JPTQ9U
By Tainari88
Potemkin wrote:The problem with a unipolar world with only one hegemonic power is that that power happens to be the USA, a nation peculiarly unsuited by its history and its culture to be a hegemonic power. The only way that anarchy could have been prevented in the aftermath of the Cold War was if an explicitly and unashamedly imperialist nation were in charge. In the late 19th century, there was a unipolar world order with a single hegemonic power - the British Empire. That empire successfully created and maintained a globalised world order for almost a century - the 'Pax Britannica'. It was, in fact, the first wave of globalisation in history. But, under American leadership there will not be and there cannot be any 'Pax Americana'. The USA, after all, was founded on anti-imperialist ideas, and has always been intensely insular and inward-looking. That culture is ingrained in its people and in its ruling elites. America therefore cannot provide any coherent sort of moral or political leadership in the world. On the contrary, they obsessively stir up trouble by launching senseless invasions of regimes around the world which even try to maintain (a rather brutal) sort of order, from Saddam Hussein's Iraq to Muammar Gadaffi's Libya to Assad's Syria. And they are now itching to invade Iran, of all places. Given this dedication to smashing any attempt to impose local order on the part of the world's only hegemonic power, what else can we expect except increasing global anarchy?

There you go again @Potemkin talking about how the Pax Britannica, successfully....etc. Nothing successful about imperialism. I hate that shit with a force from Zeus and if we get Greek and Mythological I wish I could take lightning bolts from the sky and KILL every Imperialistic shit scheme that humanity has come up with...Pax Britannica. My foot! Peaceful my ass Potemkin! A bunch of East India Company power hungry, money grubbing, capitalistic and cold and calculating cowardly as usual British white men selling opium in China, need tea and silk, cotton and goods from India? Go in there, create mayhem til the Indians kick your ass out in 1948, and keep getting kicked out of the supposedly limitless imperialistic Union Jack 'conquered' nations. The English are horrible imperialists. They can't cook well. At least the French left a bunch of bakeries and coffee and some good cooking techniques in Vietnam....the English? They got to steal the tea from the Far East because what do these British people produce that the nations of China and India needed desperately in order to survive? Peat moss? Bad beer and fish and chips? The horror....Imperialismo Britanico, no pacifico. Mierda.... ;) :D

As for "Pax Americana" and you accusing them of 'stirring up trouble'? Don't you realize Potemkin? They are the society that went from barbarism to decadence without passing through 'civilization'. What do you expect from them? They are Clint Eastwood and Cowboys and rugged individualism and hatred of intellectualism and they are about Nancy Isenberg's "White Trash"......with fragile histories. What can you expect?
By Potemkin
There you go again @Potemkin talking about how the Pax Britannica, successfully....etc. Nothing successful about imperialism. I hate that shit with a force from Zeus and if we get Greek and Mythological I wish I could take lightning bolts from the sky and KILL every Imperialistic shit scheme that humanity has come up with...Pax Britannica. My foot! Peaceful my ass Potemkin! A bunch of East India Company power hungry, money grubbing, capitalistic and cold and calculating cowardly as usual British white men selling opium in China, need tea and silk, cotton and goods from India? Go in there, create mayhem til the Indians kick your ass out in 1948, and keep getting kicked out of the supposedly limitless imperialistic Union Jack 'conquered' nations. The English are horrible imperialists. They can't cook well. At least the French left a bunch of bakeries and coffee and some good cooking techniques in Vietnam....the English? They got to steal the tea from the Far East because what do these British people produce that the nations of China and India needed desperately in order to survive? Peat moss? Bad beer and fish and chips? The horror....Imperialismo Britanico, no pacifico. Mierda.... ;) :D

Mea culpa, Tainari, mea maxima culpa. You have to bear in mind that I'm a Brit, Tainari. I've been brainwashed from a very early age. Even when I rebelled against the brainwashing and rejected the narrative of the British Empire being "a force for good" (which is what we are taught it was in school), my rejection of it was still inflected by imperialism. A Catholic who becomes an atheist is still a Catholic atheist, and a Protestant who becomes an atheist is still a Protestant atheist. You still have a lot of work to do on me, Tainari.... ;)

As for "Pax Americana" and you accusing them of 'stirring up trouble'? Don't you realize Potemkin? They are the society that went from barbarism to decadence without passing through 'civilization'. What do you expect from them? They are Clint Eastwood and Cowboys and rugged individualism and hatred of intellectualism and they are about Nancy Isenberg's "White Trash"......with fragile histories. What can you expect?

Point taken. Culture is the one thing which we can never fully escape from; it is inside us, forming our identities and shaping our thoughts, even when we rebel against it....
By foxdemon
@Tainari88 The English produced wool before they got into piracy....ahem, I mean privateering.

Anyway, I’m reading One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. Conceptually the work is very challenging and it is best to take one page at a sitting.
By Potemkin
Anyway, I’m reading One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. Conceptually the work is very challenging and it is best to take one page at a sitting.

I take my hat off to you, sir. I think that no-one can demur, to read such strange and subtle rhymes is almost worse than eating limes. :)
Last edited by Potemkin on 10 Jan 2018 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
By Drlee
If you like that book Decky, try "Red Land Black Land" by Barbara Mertz. Easy reading and utterly fascinating.
By Decky
Drlee wrote:If you like that book Decky, try "Red Land Black Land" by Barbara Mertz. Easy reading and utterly fascinating.

Might be a while yet before that, I've only just borrowed the one I posted from my brother recently.
By fuser
I don't know why Taniari88 is so angry at the end of the day British Empire gave us Cricket, it was worth it... :p

The only regret and the only sin of British Empire is that they failed to teach the awesomeness of Cricket to those treacherous bastards in thirteen colonies.
By Drlee
It is a good thing that Cricket takes so long to play. The consequences of the India-Pakistan game must be nothing short of dire.
By Tainari88
fuser wrote:I don't know why Taniari88 is so angry at the end of the day British Empire gave us Cricket, it was worth it... :p

The only regret and the only sin of British Empire is that they failed to teach the awesomeness of Cricket to those treacherous bastards in thirteen colonies.

Fuser, Cricket is a cell phone company and a little insect. The sport of cricket? I know as much about it as Jennifer Lopez does in this Norton Graham interview on the BBC.

fuser wrote:I don't know why Taniari88 is so angry at the end of the day British Empire gave us Cricket, it was worth it... :p

Actually, the British tried to teach the Native Americans how to play, watch, and enjoy cricket matches. Most of them ended up dropping dead of boredom. And that is why the North American continent became so depopulated of its native population, which many people mistakenly attribute to European-borne diseases. It was, in fact, cricket and the resulting loss of faith in humanity, deep depression, and desire to die that did them in.
By foxdemon

So true. Where would we be without cricket?

Actually, the subject brings up a bug bear I have with multiculturalism in Australia. There are those who say the food is superficial multiculturalism. I can not disagree with them more emphatically. In five centuries time when all the current politics is only of marginal interest to a few bored pol-sci students, there will still be the myriad recipes. I only need to cite the example of Thai cuisine to illustrate the point of what everyday multicultural can bring. A delightful blend of sub continent and East Asian styles. It is things like the food and sport that lasts forever.

People ruin multiculturalism when it is just about who gets to be dominant. Anyway, I digress. I might move on from One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish and begin to study Green Eggs and Ham.
By Unperson-K
Non-fiction

Tim Judah: In Wartime: Stories from Ukraine

Richard Sakwa: Russia against the West: The Post Cold War Crisis of World Order

Stephen Batalden: Russian Bible Wars: Modern Scriptural Translation and Cultural Authority (for work)

Fiction

Aleksei Remizov: Sisters of the Cross

Hamid Ismailov: The Railway

Ivan Bunin: The Village
By Decky
Up to page 70 and it has been pots, pots, pots, and things that were found in or near to pots. Also lots of drawings of pots. I have not got to the photos in the middle yet but I have a good idea what the subjects will be.
By Potemkin
Up to page 70 and it has been pots, pots, pots, and things that were found in or near to pots. Also lots of drawings of pots. I have not got to the photos in the middle yet but I have a good idea what the subjects will be.

Before they made pyramids, the Egyptians mainly made pots, Decky. Lots and lots of pots. :)
By Drlee
I would like to have an ancient Egyptian pot as long as it doesn't have guts in it.
By Tainari88
Drlee wrote:I would like to have an ancient Egyptian pot as long as it doesn't have guts in it.

I own an Ancient pot. But not from Egypt Dr. Lee--but from ancient New Mexicans who occupied Chaco Canyon in New Mexico. 3000 BC. It is lovely. Black and white geometric designs. You can see the holes they made on the edges to be able to carry things with leather thongs across distances. Let me see if I can find a picture similar to it....you learn a lot from pots @Drlee .

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 2C_NPS.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=Chaco+C ... C0WVGJMPoM:

Now, that I think about it? I might have to sell it or donate it. It probably won't be able to be taken out of the USA. It was originally a gift to my mother from a Native American tribe for her contributions. I hate to part with it. But it is considered a historical artifact belonging to an ancient Native American tribe. Can't take it with me outside the USA without some kind of big hassle or breaking a law.
By Decky
Potemkin wrote:Before they made pyramids, the Egyptians mainly made pots, Decky. Lots and lots of pots. :)

Indeed. They made linen, brewed beer, grew food and made pots to put the beer and food into. That seems to be all they have done up till about 3000 BC or so. Oh and fishing too.
By Decky
Edit: double post.

But since I have to say something, Hillary Clinton is Satan and Mike is her familiar.

You are a supporter of the genocide against the P[…]

@skinster well, you've been accusing Israel of t[…]

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]

Candace Owens

... Too bad it's not as powerful as it once was. […]