Is time timeless? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By Hindsite
B0ycey wrote:Do you believe the earth spins around on its axis 24hr precisely?

It is close enough that we have accepted it as a standard measurement of time. Even though the earth's spin is probably slowing down, what ever time it takes to make a complete rotation on it's axis is still considered a day, just as it was a thousand years ago.
By Citizen J
You don't have to age much to find how fast time accelerates. First, spend two minutes kissing a beautiful woman and note how long it feels. Next, sit on a stove and turn the burner on and note how long two minutes feels. I'll bet a cup of coffee they don't feel like the same duration. ;)

And I'm sure you realize how arbitrary it is to use the Earths rotation as a measure of time. It's not even self consistent. By that standard, a day now is not the same length of time as a day a half billion years ago, nor will it be the same as a day a half billion years from now.
And some day, the sun will engulf the Earth and burn it to a crisp, perhaps even destroy it entirely. How long will a day be then? How will an hour be the time it takes for 1/24th of a rotation of something that no longer exists? How about before the Earth was formed? Was a day the time it took for some cloud of gas to swirl? :D
By Hindsite
Citizen J wrote:You don't have to age much to find how fast time accelerates. First, spend two minutes kissing a beautiful woman and note how long it feels. Next, sit on a stove and turn the burner on and note how long two minutes feels. I'll bet a cup of coffee they don't feel like the same duration. ;)

I bet your example is also like comparing an eternity in heaven with an eternity in hell.
I would bet a minute by today's standards would seem like an eternity in the Lake of Fire and Brimstone.
By B0ycey
Hindsite wrote:It is close enough that we have accepted it as a standard measurement of time. Even though the earth's spin is probably slowing down, what ever time it takes to make a complete rotation on it's axis is still considered a day, just as it was a thousand years ago.

As your avatar weeps again...

Time is calculated by the speed of light. The Earth spin (or complete rotation) determines what a day is. A complete rotation of the Earth will always be a day but the length of time of that day will forever change - even if it is by a small amount of time. That is why the Earths rotation cannot determine time. Instead time determines the length of a day instead. And the days are getting longer.
By Hindsite
B0ycey wrote:As your avatar weeps again...

Time is calculated by the speed of light. The Earth spin (or complete rotation) determines what a day is. A complete rotation of the Earth will always be a day but the length of time of that day will forever change - even if it is by a small amount of time. That is why the Earths rotation cannot determine time. Instead time determines the length of a day instead. And the days are getting longer.

Wrong again. The speed of light depends on such things as the medium (vacuum or free space).

A team of Scottish scientists has made light travel slower than the speed of light.

They sent photons - individual particles of light - through a special mask. It changed the photons' shape - and slowed them to less than light speed.

The photons remained travelling at the lower speed even when they returned to free space.

The experiment is likely to alter how science looks at light.

The speed of light is regarded as an absolute. It is 186,282 miles per second in free space.

Light propagates more slowly when passing through materials like water or glass but goes back to its higher velocity as soon as it returns to free space again.

Or at least it did until now.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-gla ... t-30944584
By B0ycey
Hindsite wrote:Wrong again. The speed of light depends on such things as the medium (vacuum or free space).

A team of Scottish scientists has made light travel slower than the speed of light.

They sent photons - individual particles of light - through a special mask. It changed the photons' shape - and slowed them to less than light speed.

The photons remained travelling at the lower speed even when they returned to free space.

The experiment is likely to alter how science looks at light.

The speed of light is regarded as an absolute. It is 186,282 miles per second in free space.

Light propagates more slowly when passing through materials like water or glass but goes back to its higher velocity as soon as it returns to free space again.

Or at least it did until now.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-gla ... t-30944584

Is it worth me discussing science with someone who believes the Earth is 6000 years old? Time is calculated by the speed of light "in a vacuum" that has not been tampered with using electromagnatism - or more specifically electromagnatic waves. Not the length of a day on Earth.

Nonetheless you are discussing the fact that light speed can be manipulated by someone who doesn't believe the speed of light is absolute. Big woop. I believe light "has no speed". I believe it expands with spacetime and that spacetime expands at different rates in our universe. The edge of the universe is expanding much slower than its centre. So we can observe the past of galaxies that are near the edge of the universr but not of new galaxies near the centre of it due to the speeds light travels within its space time. But that was the point of the OP. Because we experience time at different rates depending on the speed we travel at, perhaps it is possible that time is nothing more than a perception and that all time - past and future, exists at the same time. So time is essentially timeless.
By Hindsite
B0ycey wrote:Is it worth me discussing science with someone who believes the Earth is 6000 years old?

Apparently not.
Then believe as you wish.
By Citizen J
The universe is expanding, space is stretching in all directions. This makes the very concept of speed arbitrary because it is always changing. We can put marks on a stick and call it a ruler. We can claim those marks mean something. But then we find the ruler itself is constantly stretching, constantly getting longer. And as space is stretching, so too is speed altered. Space and time are also altered by gravity wells. We live inside a gravity well. We've never managed to measure time and space outside our gravity well. We know that an atomic clock inside a gravity well operates slower than one outside the gravity well. But nobody knows which one is "correct". It's useless to try figuring out the flow speed of time in the absolute absence of gravity because even that will constantly change as the universe expands.

So it's all arbitrary. The best we can do is accept reality and try to go on the best we can. "This is a ruler, this is a clock. Time and distance is whatever these devices say they are".

And btw, there are multiple time standards, the earths rotation being only one. Most of us are also familiar with International Atomic Time, and Coordinated Universal Time - two time standards used to synchronize most computers and satellites.
By Hindsite
SolarCross wrote:Only the present moment exists. Time is not timeless.

Time changes. But what we do know is a day of 24 hours on earth is determined by a complete rotation of the earth on its axis. That has not changed from the beginning.
HalleluYah.

By SolarCross
Hindsite wrote:Time changes. But what we do know is a day of 24 hours on earth is determined by a complete rotation of the earth on its axis. That has not changed from the beginning.
HalleluYah.

A day is indeed a complete rotation but gravitational interactions are slowing the earth's spin minutely over time. The days were shorter in the past. Eventually the Earth will become tidally locked with the moon, barring any major collisions to shake things up, and then days will become very long indeed, about as long as a month, I think..

That isn't what I was talking about though. Neither the past nor the future exists, only the present. As the present becomes the past it ceases to exist. Only an ever changing present can exist, the universe has no space to store the past. The future does not exist until it is the present.
By Hindsite
SolarCross wrote:A day is indeed a complete rotation but gravitational interactions are slowing the earth's spin minutely over time. The days were shorter in the past. Eventually the Earth will become tidally locked with the moon, barring any major collisions to shake things up, and then days will become very long indeed, about as long as a month, I think..

But you do not know the future. That is for God to determine.

SolarCross wrote:That isn't what I was talking about though. Neither the past nor the future exists, only the present. As the present becomes the past it ceases to exist. Only an ever changing present can exist, the universe has no space to store the past. The future does not exist until it is the present.

But the past did exist in time. That is why we have calendars and people write history books and teach history in school. The past is stored in those history books, photos, videos, and our minds and I assume in the mind of God, who knows past, present, and future. However, we can only guess at the future.
By SolarCross
Hindsite wrote:But you do not know the future. That is for God to determine.

Based on what we currently know of physics and the what we know of the particularities of the orbital dynamics of Earth and Moon, it is a safe bet. Though as I said that is assuming no significant collisions occur. No one can predict the future with perfect certainty, but with enough data and a reasonably good understanding of the rules of behaviour safe predictions are possible. It is possible to predict lunar eclipses this way.

Hindsite wrote:But the past did exist in time. That is why we have calendars and people write history books and teach history in school. The past is stored in those history books, photos, videos, and our minds and I assume in the mind of God, who knows past, present, and future. However, we can only guess at the future.

"Did" as in NOT ANYMORE. All that you think of as the "past" is only knowable to you because it still exists in some form in the present. Go to egypt and have a look at the sphinx. Do you think you are looking at the past? No you are looking at the present. The Sphinx was made a long time ago but when it was made it had a nose! What you see now of the Sphinx is the present Sphinx not the Sphinxes of the past, those Sphinxes no longer exist.
By Hindsite
SolarCross wrote:Based on what we currently know of physics and the what we know of the particularities of the orbital dynamics of Earth and Moon, it is a safe bet.

But I would not bet on it.

SolarCross wrote:Go to egypt and have a look at the sphinx. Do you think you are looking at the past? No you are looking at the present. The Sphinx was made a long time ago but when it was made it had a nose! What you see now of the Sphinx is the present Sphinx not the Sphinxes of the past, those Sphinxes no longer exist.

Yes, we see things in the present, but logic tells us that we are looking at something made in the past. So as I said before, time changes and everything we can see changes with it, because the earth is not standing still, it is moving. It is like watching a moving picture show.
By B0ycey
Solarcross. If you travel at the speed of light what happens to time? That being the case, what time period is light? Light in principle has to exist in the past, present and future. Your mind only allows you to experience the present so to you only the present can exist. Or so that is the concept of this thread anyways.
By Hindsite
B0ycey wrote:Solarcross. If you travel at the speed of light what happens to time?

I have another question.
What would happen to a human body?
By B0ycey
Hindsite wrote:I have another question.
What would happen to a human body?

If, like you, I use a piece of fiction as an absolute factual guide as evidence, Star Wars says not a great deal. :lol:
By Hindsite
B0ycey wrote:If, like you, I use a piece of fiction as an absolute factual guide as evidence, Star Wars says not a great deal. :lol:

I believe Star Wars is wrong in practice. I believe the body would be torn apart and die.
Star Trek's idea of beaming a body to a different point is not practical either.
It would be only possible with a miracle from God. Praise the Lord.
By SolarCross
B0ycey wrote:Solarcross. If you travel at the speed of light what happens to time? That being the case, what time period is light? Light in principle has to exist in the past, present and future. Your mind only allows you to experience the present so to you only the present can exist. Or so that is the concept of this thread anyways.

If time slows down to a stop for light because of how fast it travels then that light if it were conscious is not experiencing any change it is not however existing simultaneously in the past, present and future. Flick a light switch on and then flick it off. A bunch of photons came into existence raced away at the speed of light before impacting on a wall a few metres away. To you each photon only existed for a fraction of a second, to the photon if it were conscious it would seem like a very long time. However its past with its birth on the surface of the filament to its death on the wall do not co-exist. One becomes the other.

Time is a subjective experience but there is no past world still lingering somewhere in another dimension nor is there a future world waiting to come on, Just an everchanging present moment is all that exists all that can exist.

The universe is not like a movie reel.
By B0ycey
SolarCross wrote:If time slows down to a stop for light because of how fast it travels then that light if it were conscious is not experiencing any change it is not however existing simultaneously in the past, present and future.

To you, the experiencer, light is in your present. But to another it is in a different present. Same light, different time. This isn't trying to convince you that you are wrong, just highlighting a concept.

Flick a light switch on and then flick it off. A bunch of photons came into existence raced away at the speed of light before impacting on a wall a few metres away. To you each photon only existed for a fraction of a second, to the photon if it were conscious it would seem like a very long time. However its past with its birth on the surface of the filament to its death on the wall do not co-exist. One becomes the other.

Time is a subjective experience but there is no past world still lingering somewhere in another dimension nor is there a future world waiting to come on, Just an everchanging present moment is all that exists all that can exist.

The universe is not like a movie reel.

See now this is interesting. I had five thread ideas for Agora, this being the next one (your point). But being no one seems interested in concept thought on here, I gave up the idea publishing the remaining three a while back. They all link to one another you see. Perhaps Solarcross I might. Lookout for "Is light energy time?"

Thank goodness saner heads and science is prevaili[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

This war is going to drag on for probably another[…]

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving b[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]