I don't care about money...do I need professional help because I don't? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The 'no government' movement.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Hello,

This subforum says that anarchism is "no government " . I wouldn't exactly say that anarchism is no government, maybe some forms like anarcho-capitalism are for no government interference, but in general true anarchism is actually pro-government in many respects. Anyway that's another topic.

My real question is the fact how society makes me feel, and others I suppose though I have yet to find them ( perhaps you are here among these forums *shrugs*), like an outsider because I really don't care about money. In fact if I didn't have to work to feed myself, clothing and have shelter I wouldn't work for other people at all. I'm self-motivated, so I don't need monetary intentive to get things done that I want done. Technically one, like myself, could work for themselves today, but it's highly unlikely your business would survive against today's massive corporations that are taking over small business. Not to mention the thought of running a business is just not my thing. I don't like the term entrepreneurship either, if I invent or create something that improves humanity then that is absolutely wonderful, but I don't need monetary incentive to have that desire to invent or create something new to improve society. If you're not self-motivated to do something then it's not something you really, really want to do deep inside. I also wouldn't take the money if something I create or invent improves society, the reward is in itself (There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?- Salk ) If I did take the money from something I invent/create that helps improve society I would give it all, and I mean all, back to another worthy cause which also helps improve humanity as a whole. I love to read, I love searching for the truth of the really big questions in life, so money is the last thing on my mind. I love living by myself, I would love to have a companion, but most women seem pro-capitalism, material girls, I doubt I would ever find a woman that is into self-sufficient, anarchistic, simple living. I believe in mans ability to create a utopian society, he just has to want to do it.

Anyway I feel like I have some kind of mental illness because I don't care about money in the least, seriously not in the least. Milton Friedman has said everyone is greedy, well I must be an alien from another planet because I'm not at all greedy. I truely want to fit in, to be greedy, to own big yaghts with half-nude models in binkini's everywhere, to live in a castle or mansion, wear expensive clothing and jewelry, but in the end I really, really don't care about any of that, believe me I have tried but it's just not me. If women can't except me for being me, the true utopian-optimist I am, then I guess I live the rest of my life a virgin, I have a lot to offer otherwise so forget them if they can't except my Walden lifestyle. I love to read, meditate, think about life and the big questions, and I don't need much money for that really, especially with all my local libraries. So would you say there is something wrong with me since I don't care about money or would you rather say that is just how my pro-capitalist society makes me feel about myself? And that there is actually nothing wrong with me for not caring about money, rather it's just I am said to have a "mental illness" because that is just their way of excluding and cutting me off from their capitalist tribe?

Thanks
Last edited by hyootzy on 14 Oct 2017 17:40, edited 3 times in total.
I think it's interesting how modern psychology is really focused upon disorders, and the idea that if you don't behave or feel as expected of you there is something wrong with you. In contrast we might look at "traditional psychology" as presented in religions, where you are certainly part of the problem sometimes but the world is also viewed as fundamentally corrupt, so if you don't fit into it in some ways that's acceptable and, they would argue, even normal.

IMHO modern psychology is an extension of the Moloch-like demonic nature of the ecnomy, in that it is subservient to economic motivations. You never see or hear of pscyhology monks making due off of donations as they try to help people, the way you sometimes see and hear of religious people who are performing a similar "service".
Well, I'll cite somebody I dont remember, I think it was one of the Beatles: In order to not care about money, you need to have it first. So everyone has to have a little amount of greed, so their own needs are met.

The theory that the only thing that motivates people is greed is at the core of capitalism. Greed is seen as a desireable virtue, the elite of capitalism are people who are extraordinarily greedy, and those who arent greedy wont stay in the elite.

But I think most people arent actually that greedy beyond that point. I think Milton Friedman specifically and capitalism as a whole is very wrong in that point.

I agree that anarchism refers to a very broad palette of political concepts all centering on the idea to emancipate the individual. Its not necessarily anti-government.
@hyootzy
You are definitely not alone. My wife always said I could not be trusted with money because it had no meaning to me. I proved her right repeatedly.
I do agree this view is only possible if we actually have enough of it for it not to matter. This amount varies tremendously among individuals, but basically very few of us are all that greedy. At least I hope so.
Your mental disorder is ‘idealist’. I suffer severely from the same disorder.
I am skeptical about anyone posits that they don't care about money at all. Money is media of exchange so actually money is really equivalent to food, shelter, education, books, travel, tools and really whatever there is you can buy with money. To say "I don't care about money" is to say "I don't care about food, or I don't care about having a roof over my head". I don't say that is impossible but I can only see some rare persons being in a situation where they "don't care about money at all".

- The extreme holy hermit, so focused on spiritual enlightenment that he spends his every waking moment in meditation. Barely eating and otherwise having a very spartan existence means he has very little use either for money nor the things money buys.

- The trust fund baby, is the opposite of the holy hermit, the trust fund baby had the good fortune to be born with a great excess of funds at his disposal, so much so that he has no real concept of the value of money, he spends it like water and values it no more. Even a fat man doesn't care about food if he is a stuffed with a great feast.

The other person that might say they "don't care about money" is one who is attempting to posture himself as a holy hermit or a trust fund baby, but they would be liars.
My lad, you're not the only one with this "disorder".
We have been raised into this system from babies, in which we see that money keeps the world running. But that's just a very idiotic illusion we have created on ourselves just like safety and nationalism.
Money doesn't make the world running, money is just a tool to help us trade with each other easier, but that's as far as it gets.
People often tend to overestimate the worth of money,they forget its just a tool.
Only spiritually poor people give money actual worth.
The moment you realise the worthless and vanity of money, (at least for me) also realise the many vanities, illusions and unorthodoxies that exist in our society and all these things we have chained ourselves with.
And that moment is the moment I call the "wake up ". And unfortunately although many people agree with it when you discuss it with them, they never truly believe it, they stay in their imaginary bubble.
And that's also why my favourite movies are fight club and the first matrix heh.
Life isn't only money and material, on the contrary lifes beauties mostly consist of non material joies and pleasures.
And that's the problem with modern day mega cities, people in there get mechanised, robotised. They lose track of reality .
On the good side, some of us naturally are people of freedom and we eventually "wake up". Usually people like us, are the ones who actually help improving society toward better, thus don't worry about your "disorder".

"I think, thus I exist "
Do not worry about not being the same as the masses.
You see how dump masses can be.
Right now in America, Americans literally are demolishing their own selves to scraps . In Greece they vote the same party who bankrupted the state. That's just some of the millions of examples history can give us.

If it werent for people like you, humanity would still live in caves. You don't have a disorder, you have an actual mind and soul
Aside from the fact that this commentary belongs in either Economics & Capitalism or Sociology, I find valid points on all sides. Some observations:

If you are a non-materialistic but reasonable attractive young man, you might find more success dating an older woman. Younger women are hardwired to look for a man who can earn enough to support children.

I try to avoid owning a lot of things as they create obstacles to mobility if I decide to relocate. More stuff on the shelves means more stuff to dust off or clean. Who needs the extra housework?
Negotiator wrote:Well, I'll cite somebody I dont remember, I think it was one of the Beatles: In order to not care about money, you need to have it first. So everyone has to have a little amount of greed, so their own needs are met.
I agree that anarchism refers to a very broad palette of political concepts all centering on the idea to emancipate the individual. Its not necessarily anti-government.

I'd agree with this, except the way it's phrased. Everyone wants to live their own life or has their own things they are concerned with - even if they put other people before themselves, such as parents often do. But that's not greed - greed's more wanting more than you in any way need.

I think if anarchism isn't against the state, it's not really distinctive as a political outlook. Lots of ways to define the state, but it is at least a centralised organisation which has the majority of the force in a state. Anarchists oppose the centralisation of power - much more so than federalists.

The Donbas fortifications have been incredibly su[…]

@litwin is clearly an Alex Jones type conspir[…]

It is true that the Hindu's gave us nothing. But […]

I dont buy it, Why would anyone go for a vacation […]