9 Reasons Not to Believe the Gospels - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
Potemkin wrote:But the principle of determinism is wrong, as we now know. The Young two-slit experiment gives different results every time you pass an electron through it, despite the experimental set-up being identical every time.

So if God doesn't exist, who roles the dice? ;) In the old days, the debate was less about, whether God existed, but whether he had gone into well earned retirement.
Rich wrote:So if God doesn't exist, who roles the dice? In the old days, the debate was less about, whether God existed, but whether he had gone into well earned retirement.

Is this your own quote? If so, it is excellent, it has all the elements of a Mark Twain and G.K. Chesterton piece of witty and somewhat cynical wisdom.

Very good. Just thought I should give you kudos. I like to give credit where credit is due.
Rich wrote:So if God doesn't exist, who roles the dice? ;) In the old days, the debate was less about, whether God existed, but whether he had gone into well earned retirement.

Good question. It seems to me that this question is also connected with another good question: why does the universe go to all the trouble of existing? The fact that there is something rather than nothing is deeply mysterious.
Also, why is everything based upon death and rebirth? Why is it not just simply here? It seems logical humans would expect some type of rebirth in such a universe.
One Degree wrote:Also, why is everything based upon death and rebirth? Why is it not just simply here? It seems logical humans would expect some type of rebirth in such a universe.

Marcus Aurelius wrote that the world is forever young because it is constantly renewing itself. The material universe seems to contain within itself a creative principle. Bergson called this the 'elan vital', and Marxists call it 'dialectical materialism'.
Potemkin wrote:Marcus Aurelius wrote that the world is forever young because it is constantly renewing itself. The material universe seems to contain within itself a creative principle. Bergson called this the 'elan vital', and Marxists call it 'dialectical materialism'.

Doesn’t this come back to Marx’s own problems with God. “A god in a soulless universe”? The acceptance and rejection at the same time?
Potemkin wrote:Good question. It seems to me that this question is also connected with another good question: why does the universe go to all the trouble of existing? The fact that there is something rather than nothing is deeply mysterious.

Yes I wrestled with that when I was child. So many people seemed to ask, why is there suffering, no one asked the question: "Why is there Bruce Forsyth?"

Or to translate into a modern idiom: Is Rick Ashley the Tathagata?
The universe is just a dream of a giant amoeba. Our existence, the firing of a neuron.
Sivad wrote:How does probability solve the problem?

Only $1 Mr. Try it and see ! Just one measly dollar !

Zam :angel:
Suntzu wrote:The Bible should start out "Once upon a time in a land far, far away . . .".

"God was moving over the face of the water. The Earth was desolate and void, and God said :Let there be light ... (: Cue special FX) the starship re-enters the physical universe (where there is light) and the terraforming begins ... (now you know) : cue Looney Tunes theme, can-can line exits stage right. "Cut."
Sivad wrote:Ok, so you don't actually know anything about this, you're just being obnoxious.

See the above trailer for the show. Sorry no free tickets (only $1 !)

Zam 8)
One Degree wrote:The universe is expanding at 67 km/s.
We are headed for a collision with Andromeda at 402,000 km/h.
The sun is moving at 220 km/s.
The earth moves around the sun at 30 km/s.
Throw in all the unknowns, and believing the sun will rise tomorrow is wishful thinking.

The sun doesn't rise.
Besoeker wrote:The sun doesn't rise.

That depends upon whether the Universe has an up/down. It is moving, and there is no reason to believe it is not rising. :)
Rancid wrote:I feel like Jesus on the cross.

Self righteous and pitying the fools?
Potemkin wrote:But how do we 'know' what we know about stellar dynamics? By observation and by constructing abstract theories which we believe are consistent with those observations. But this is still just inductive reasoning from a long series of observations. No matter how long that series of observations happens to be, we can never achieve certainty.

Science doesn't preach certainty. Religion does.

Yes I was using the word fun, loosely , ironicall[…]

Trans people are just people. They have no less an[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

You should impose your own standards on yourself.[…]

No, I want you to be happy. I will be happy when[…]