Analogy: women feel the same way as men would if gay men could hit on them? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Sorry for the poorly phrased subject title. It can only be so long.

I would have written --- Analogy: do women who are harassed, stared at, and hit on feel about the same way men would feel in a society where gay men felt they could harass, stare at, hit on, and touch other men whenever they were attracted to another man?

I hope that 'gay' is not seen as a put down here. I support LGBT people and their rights.

I intend to be attacking straight men who don't understand how women often feel in US society. I want them to look at their feelings this way and think maybe women feel the same way.
What do we mean by hitting on? There's guys who will say nasty shit to woman like "Hey baby, come over here.." etc. etc. and then there's a more innocent hitting where a dude asks a woman if he can buy her a drink (for example). What are we talking about here?

I'm going to guess only a small number of men would feel threatened/harassed/unsafe if a gay man hit on them. That's excluding homophobic types.
Rancid wrote:What do we mean by hitting on? There's guys who will say nasty shit to woman like "Hey baby, come over here.." etc. etc. and then there's a more innocent hitting where a dude asks a woman if he can buy her a drink (for example). What are we talking about here?

I'm going to guess only a small number of men would feel threatened/harassed/unsafe if a gay man hit on them. That's excluding homophobic types.

Agreed. Harassment and hitting on are not the same. Even so, your example has brightened the day of many women as well as destroying their day.
One Degree wrote:The way women feel depends upon the woman and the man hitting on them. Analyzing individual interactions based upon groups is always misleading.

Yes, you cannot say anything on the individual person. But if you want just to look at the large numbers the "self perception" and they way people would feel or react do not only depend on social factors but also on elements like physical stature and level of testosterone. So, generally speaking, men would feel and react differently from women.
Steve_American wrote:Sorry for the poorly phrased subject title. It can only be so long.

I would have written --- Analogy: do women who are harassed, stared at, and hit on feel about the same way men would feel in a society where gay men felt they could harass, stare at, hit on, and touch other men whenever they were attracted to another man?

I hope that 'gay' is not seen as a put down here. I support LGBT people and their rights.

I intend to be attacking straight men who don't understand how women often feel in US society. I want them to look at their feelings this way and think maybe women feel the same way.
I think this is a bad analogy, a more proper analogy would be, how would men feel if women would harass, stare at, hit on, and touch men them.

Because straight guys do not have attraction to gay men, like straight women would have to men.

I do not think straight women feel the same to a man as a straight guy would feel towards a gay dude.
Whether it is a man or a woman, all you need to do is tell them to stop. Instead we create a situation where perhaps I work with 10 women. 9 of them understand harmless flirting is good for the ego and workplace comraderie. The tenth does not like it so everyone must refrain from it. Instead of insisting upon puritanical guidelines, we could let each group decide what they are comfortable with and make it clear to new potential employees. ‘No’ should always mean no, but it should not mean you are forbidden to ask.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]