Israeli troops kill dozens of Palestinians in protests as US embassy opens in Jerusalem – live updat - Page 19 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

skinster wrote:https://www.alternet.org/story/120197/g%20...%20ation_camp "The 2005 "pull-out" left Gaza still controlled by Israel from air and sea, its entries and exits prisonlike mazes electronically controlled and under constant surveillance."

"From air and sea" skinster, NOT on the ground, "entries and exits" NOT interior control, that's a Palestinian responsibility. Such blatant propaganda tends to discredit those sponsoring it amongst educated individuals. Fanatics like it though.

Looks like SOMEONE has a reading problem.

Yes … you do.

Zam
Trooper wrote:Footage from filmmaker Pierre Rehov exposing the Palestinian leaders and rioters in Gaza: https://www.facebook.com/StandWithUs/videos/10155693186232689/

This is certainly damning evidence of how, by their own words and deeds, Palestinians provoke Israeli responses. People should see this, it may demonstrate for them how "restrained" Israel has been.

Zam :eek:
Zamuel wrote:This is certainly damning evidence of how, by their own words and deeds, Palestinians provoke Israeli responses. People should see this, it may demonstrate for them how "restrained" Israel has been.

Zam :eek:

Why has Israel been retrained is my question?
Stupid leftist and Musslemen will still overreact, so why not make it really like those loons think it is.
Oxymoron wrote:Why has Israel been retrained is my question?

A question many have been asking, a couple of cannisters of Napalm would be quicker, cheaper, and even smokier …

Zam
West Bank’s apathy amid Gaza chaos shows Palestinians becoming a divided people

Today, there is almost no direct contact between the Palestinians in the West Bank and those living in the Gaza Strip. The vast majority of the Palestinians in the West Bank have never been to the Gaza Strip. For them, the Gaza Strip is not much different than Syria, Lebanon, or Iraq.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/west-bank ... ed-people/
Last edited by Trooper on 24 May 2018 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Decky wrote:No! Jesus was the first Roman Catholic and that's that.

OH Jeeeezuz! Christ was an alien hybrid, conceived by artificial insemination. His life was preserved and restored by nanotech (why his blood has such value) and he "ascended" via flying saucer.

Catholics are deluded, they have been ever since the bible was translated out of Latin. I guess Decky is Pofo's pope and Albert is it's Calvin.

Now give it a rest.

Zam
The Truth About Gaza
The assertion that “the first casualty of war is truth” applies not only to violent conflict but also to violent attacks by state authorities on unarmed protesters, as recently occurred in Gaza. Israeli and US officials continue to produce untruths and half-truths about what Palestinians call the Great Return March and Israel's bloody attempts to silence protesters with snipers. Serious media attempts at debunking their warped descriptions are rare.

Hasbara, a form of Israeli propaganda aimed at international audiences, religiously repeated three particular claims, or myths, and US officials, as well as major Western media, have for the large part further spread them: The protests in Gaza were violent; the protests were instigated by the “terrorist” Hamas; and Israel merely acted in self-defense, protecting itself as any sovereign nation would.

Perry Cammack, a fellow with the Middle East Program at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, told Al-Monitor that the March 30 protests are a move away from violent militancy among Palestinians, including Hamas. “This is clearly a new trend in Palestinian society that attempts to expand the notions of resistance and nonviolent protests.”

Great effort was made to ensure that no weapons were used, and a lot of work went into highlighting various symbols of the Palestinian struggle for independence and the right of return. Among the latter were tents (representing refugee camps) and old keys (symbolizing the keys to the homes Palestinians fled in 1948). Also featured were images of Handallah, a cartoon figure symbolizing Palestinian refugees yearning to return to their land.

The political scientist Norman Gary Finkelstein, whose recently published “Gaza: An Inquest into Its Martyrdom,” told Al-Monitor that the Palestinians are in a no-win situation.

“Palestinians, including Hamas, were lectured that their protests should be nonviolent,” he said. “‘Where is the Palestinian Gandhi’ was a question often repeated to Palestinians, but when Hamas is engaged in nonviolent protests, we are told that because Hamas members are participating in the demonstrations, they are a legitimate target.”

Finkelstein believes that when you shoot and kill unarmed protesters, “You are telling them, ‘Arm yourself.’” He noted that the Israeli claims of violence are easily debunked by looking at the injuries and deaths that occurred to Israelis during the so-called violent protests. He remarked, “Since March 30, not a single Israeli soldier or civilian was injured or killed. On May 14, one Israeli soldier was scratched.”

Finkelstein, an American Jew whose family survived the Holocaust, said the Israelis should have been “celebrating” the change from launching rockets and digging tunnels to unarmed protests. He noted that during the first weeks of the protests, Israel was complaining that the demonstrators were using mirrors to blind the snipers and sending burning kites across the border to torch Israeli farms.

“The reality is that Hamas operatives were checking demonstrators to ensure that they were unarmed and didn’t carry any weapons or arms in the nonviolent protests,” he said. No Hamas flags or posters were visible at the protests.

Israeli claims that the protests were violent made little sense. The high death toll among Palestinians engaging in unarmed protest thus forced Israelis and their apologists to create a new claim, namely, that Israel had acted in self-defense.

James Brownsell, managing editor of the New Arab, wrote on May 14, “[The] ‘threat’ posed by these unarmed protests is not personal but political-existential, maybe. And that is why they were killed. It is not possible to overestimate the lengths to which the Israeli military and political establishment will go to keep hold of what they have built over the past 70 years of embracing the dispossession and displacement of Palestinians.”

On May 14, Israeli forces deliberately targeted medical personnel, who were easily identifiable. Tarek Loubani, a Canadian physician who was shot by Israeli snipers, explained what happened in an interview on Canadian TV.

"I was away from the protest scene in a relative lull. There was no smoke or tear gas. There had been lots of that earlier in the day. I was with my medical team of first responders. They were mostly paramedics. We had just resupplied for tourniquets, which we used to stop bleeding and people who are shot in the arms or legs. All of a sudden, I heard an incredibly loud bang. I ended up on the ground. I was shot in both legs," he said, adding, "The bullet came from the left [side] of my left leg, went through the left leg and then through the right leg."

Unexpected attacks against journalists also point to Israel's actions being premeditated rather than conducted in self-defense. In one incident, on March 6, Israeli snipers shot Yaser Murtaja, a Palestinian journalist covering the protests in Gaza. He later died, on April 9, from his wounds. The International Press Institute has called for an independent investigation into the killing and injury of Palestinian journalists. Another Palestinian journalist, Ahmed Abu Hussein, died April 25 after being shot while covering the protests on April 13, according to the Ministry of Health.

Ramzy Baroud, editor of Palestine Chronicle, wrote in the Saudi daily Arab News that the US administration had issued a statement claiming “Israel has the right to defend itself,” while White House officials "[paid] no heed to the ludicrousness of the statement when understood within the current context of an unequal struggle."

"Peaceful protesters were not threatening the existence of Israel; rock-throwing kids were not about to overwhelm hundreds of Israeli snipers, who shot, killed and wounded Gazan youngsters with no legal or moral boundary whatsoever," he continued.

Finkelstein used colorful language to rebut the self-defense argument, and stated, “Even critics of Israel, it seems to me, are misrepresenting the law and the situation.”

Another excuse for the brutal violence by Israeli troops is that the demonstrators were from the Islamist Hamas movement. To support this theory, the Israeli army published a clip showing a Hamas official who on May 16 claimed that of the 110 Palestinians killed, 50 were Hamas members. The New York Times ran columns by a march leader and a participant who do not belong to Hamas and who provided context: Fadi Abu Shammalah, executive director of the General Union of Cultural Centers in Gaza, wrote “Why I March in Gaza” (April 27), and Ahmed Abu Artema wrote “I Helped Start the Gaza Protests. I Don’t Regret It” (May 14).

In an interview with Nabeel Diab, a member of a grassroots Gaza organization, Mondoweiss reported, “The idea was born after the massive Nakba Day demonstration in 2011 when thousands of Palestinian refugees in Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Egypt and the Palestinian territory marched to the borders with Israel to demand their collective right of return to their homelands.” Diab bluntly said, “The Israeli government’s allegations that Hamas organized these protests are lies.”

According to Israeli journalist Amira Hass, Hamas inflated the numbers of its members participating in the march in part for internal reasons. Hass’ May 15 column is titled “It's Not a 'Hamas March' in Gaza. It's Tens of Thousands Willing to Die.”

The Israeli and US spin machines have had initial success in shifting blame onto the victims, but as the world comes to understand what is really happening in Gaza, and the truth prevails, their claims will quickly evaporate.
http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/origina ... z5GSfZyx2G

Zamuel wrote:"From air and sea" skinster, NOT on the ground, "entries and exits" NOT interior control, that's a Palestinian responsibility. Such blatant propaganda tends to discredit those sponsoring it amongst educated individuals. Fanatics like it though.

I showed the quote you quoted that said "Gaza controlled by Israel". Don't have a go at me just because you changed your mind all of a sudden. :D

@skinster from your article - The Truth About Gaza -
"Since March 30, not a single Israeli soldier or civilian was injured or killed. On May 14, one Israeli soldier was scratched.” - Gary Finkelstein

I guess the snipers are working.

Zam :eh:
Ter wrote:- he was not "Christ", just Joshua, the fruit of an adulterous woman with an unknown father
- the Romans crucified him, not the Jews
- even his existence is in doubt

Sometimes I wonder if you and that Zionist user are one and the same person.....

You both seem to have exactly the same views and ideas....

Just sayin'
Hamas is another Iranian proxy

Nikki Haley: "Madam President, Today’s session was called to discuss the issue of violence in the Middle East. We are all concerned about violence in the Middle East. The United States deplores the loss of human life. But there is a lot of violence throughout the region. And I will note that the double standard is all too common in this chamber, and working overtime today.

Last week, Iranian forces attacked Israeli positions on the Golan Heights by launching rockets from Syria. This was a reckless provocation and escalation that must be stopped. It is an example of regional violence that should occupy our attention here in the Security Council. Also last week, Iranian proxy forces in Yemen launched missiles into Saudi Arabia. It was not the first time they have done it. This too is regional violence that should occupy our attention here in the Security Council. In recent days, Hamas terrorists, backed by Iran, have incited attacks against Israeli security forces and infrastructure. That is violence that should occupy our attention, too.

The common thread in all of this is the destabilizing conduct of the Iranian regime – a regime that insists on promoting violence throughout the Middle East, while depriving its own people of basic human rights.

The United States welcomes a discussion of this violence in the Middle East. We welcome discussing the ways we can cooperate with each other to put an end to this violence. There is far too little discussion in the Security Council on Iran’s destabilizing presence in Syria, its promotion of violence in Yemen, its support for terrorism in Gaza, and its dangerous and illegal weapons buildup in Lebanon.

However, in the minds of some, today’s meeting was not called to discuss any of those examples of violence in the Middle East. Today’s meeting was called to discuss the violence that some suggest was connected with yesterday’s opening of the United States’ embassy in Jerusalem. For some people, the embassy opening is said to be a reason to engage in violence. How is that justified?

As our President said when he announced the decision in December, the location of our embassy has no bearing on the specific boundaries of Israeli sovereignty in Jerusalem or the resolution of contested borders. It has no bearing on Jerusalem’s holy sites. It does not prejudge whatever the parties might negotiate in a peace agreement. It does not undermine the prospects for peace in any way. And yet, for some, this is supposedly a cause for violence.

But let’s remember that the Hamas terrorist organization has been inciting violence for years, long before the United States decided to move our embassy.

In recent days, multiple news organizations have documented the Hamas incitement in Gaza. They have reported that Hamas maps and social media show the fastest routes to reach Israeli communities in case demonstrators make it through the security fence. They have reported on Hamas messages over loudspeakers that urge demonstrators to burst through the fence, falsely claiming Israeli soldiers were fleeing, when in fact, they were not. The same loudspeakers are used by Hamas to urge the crowds to “Get closer! Get closer!” to the security fence.

Hamas has attacked the Kerem Shalom crossing, the biggest entry point in Gaza for fuel, food, and medical supplies. This is how determined they are to make the lives of the Palestinian people miserable. They light Molotov cocktails attached to kites on fire and attempt to fly them into Israel to cause as much destruction as possible. When asked yesterday why he put a swastika on his burning kite, the terrorist responded, “The Jews go crazy when you mention Hitler.”

This is what is endangering the people of Gaza. Make no mistake: Hamas is pleased with the results from yesterday.

I ask my colleagues here in the Security Council, who among us would accept this type of activity on your border? No one would. No country in this chamber would act with more restraint than Israel has. In fact, the records of several countries here today suggest they would be much less restrained.

Those who suggest that the Gaza violence has anything to do with the location of the American embassy are sorely mistaken. Rather, the violence comes from those who reject the existence of the state of Israel in any location. Such a motivation – the destruction of a United Nations Member State – is so illegitimate as to not be worth our time in the Security Council, other than the time it takes to denounce it.

Yesterday’s opening of our embassy in Jerusalem is a cause for celebration for the American people. Moving the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem was the right thing to do. It reflects the will of the American people. It reflects our sovereign right to decide the location of our embassy – a right that everyone in this room claims for their own country. Importantly, moving our embassy to Jerusalem also reflects the reality that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel. It has served as Israel’s capital since the founding of the state. It is the ancient capital of the Jewish people. There is no plausible peace agreement under which Jerusalem would no longer remain the capital of Israel. Recognizing this reality makes peace more achievable, not less.

The United States is prepared to support peace negotiations and a peace agreement in every way. We want nothing more than peace. A peace in which people of all faiths are free to worship in Jerusalem. A peace in which the rights of all people are respected, and the future prospects of all people is bright. That peace will only be achieved if it is rooted in the realities that too many choose to deny. The United States’ action yesterday promoted the reality and the desire for peace. It is our sincere wish that the nations of the world will join us in this pursuit of credible, realistic, and enduring peace.

As I conclude, I want to take a moment to mark the 70th anniversary of Israel’s independence. In this United Nations Security Council, on behalf of the American people, I congratulate our friends in Israel on the remarkable achievement of 70 years of independence. From humble and desperate beginnings, a proud people have realized the Prophet Isaiah’s vision of a light unto the nations. May the next 70 years be ones of strength, of hope, and of peace.

Thank you."

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]