Trumps separating Central American children from their parents. Is this acceptable? - Page 15 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Are people just really stupid or dishonest?
These children are not the issue. Our immigration and asylum policies are.
Using the children to decide the other is dishonest and incredibly stupid.
danholo wrote:Why should America accept refugees with open arms while Palestinians are kept in abject poverty in refugee camps after 70 years? It's ok because they haven't been separated from their children, or?

Interesting post. I was just thinking how the leftists lies and spin on this matter reminded me the Palestinian propaganda. Look no further than this thread the dramatics words and intellectual dishonesty.
Funny thing is they think it works but it only exposes them more. They desperately do not want this issue to be settled because they literally have nothing else to campaign on.
SpecialOlympian wrote:Concentration camps for children are absolutely the issue. The pathetic deflection attempts made by Trump and his supporters demonstrate how incredibly uncomfortable they are with people pointing out that they have created child concentration camps.

Totally illogical as expected. They only exist due to our policies, therefore they are not the issue. They are a prodict of an issue not settled. You don’t have an argument against our current insane policies, so you use an emotional issue to distract from the real issue. Same transparent crap Democrats always use and can only be successful if people are really stupid or dishonest.

The claim: US President Donald Trump says the Democrats created a law that separates children from parents who cross the US-Mexico border illegally.

Verdict:There is no law on separating children from parents at the border, but rather a policy introduced recently by the Trump administration.
The policy has led to 1,995 children being separated from families at the border between 19 April and 31 May, in addition to a further 700 children since October 2017.

Changes under Mr Trump's Zero-Tolerance Policy include expediting the process to determine eligibility to remain, promptly removing those who are denied, and criminally prosecuting migrants for first-time border offences, which were previously treated as civil violations.
Because the children of prosecuted migrants are not charged with any crime, they are not permitted to be jailed with their parents. But in addition to removing children from apprehended illegal migrants, children have been separated from asylum-seekers.
Seeking asylum is not illegal.
The president blamed Democrats for the policy. In May, he urged putting "pressure on the Democrats to end the horrible law that separates children (from) their parents once they cross the Border in the US".
On 16 June, he tweeted "Democrats can fix their forced family break-up at the border by working with Republicans on new legislation, for a change!" and two days later accused the Democrats of being "weak and ineffective" with border security.
There is no law that mandates separating children from parents who cross the border illegally.
In 1997, Democratic President Bill Clinton signed the Flores Settlement law that required unaccompanied minors who arrive in the US to be released to their parents, a legal guardian or an adult relative, If no relatives are available then the relevant government agency can appoint an appropriate adult to look after the child.
And in 2008, Republican President George W. Bush signed an anti-trafficking statue that requires unaccompanied minors to be transferred out of immigration centres within 72 hours. Neither of these recommends separating families.
The policy is meant to deter illegal immigration.
"If you don't want your child separated, then don't bring them across the border illegally," said Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
He followed this up in several interviews, saying, "We're doing the right thing. We're taking care of these children.
"Our policies are discouraging people from making children endure that treacherous journey."
In February, the American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit on behalf of a mother from Congo to have her seven-year-old daughter returned to her, after the little girl was held separately for more than four months during their application for asylum. The same organisation is seeking a nationwide injunction against separating families.
On 16 June, First Lady Melania Trump made the same assertion as her husband, blaming politicians for her husband's own policy.
Her spokesperson said: "Mrs Trump hates to see children separated from their families and hopes both sides of the aisle can finally come together to achieve successful immigration reform. She believes we need to be a country that follows all laws, but also a country that governs with heart."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44303556

Last edited by anarchist23 on 19 Jun 2018 15:20, edited 3 times in total.
anarchist23 wrote:

What a childish appeal to emotion. A kid cried. Yes, they do that. It has nothing to do with the validity of the situation.
The immaturity of the liberal argument is the best evidence of a failed society. We have adults with the maturity level of a 12 year old making decisions on emotion rather than reason.
The point he's trying to make is that these kids should not be put in this situation in the first place. In the past, they weren't. The only thing that has changed is Trump's Zero Tolerance policy, that even some Republicans can't defend.

These Republicans have criticized Trump's 'zero tolerance' immigration policy
Laura Bush
Former first lady Laura Bush, wife of former GOP President George W. Bush, wrote a Washington Post op-ed published Sunday night comparing the family separations to World War II Japanese-American internment camps, calling the practice "immoral."

"Our government should not be in the business of warehousing children in converted box stores or making plans to place them in tent cities in the desert outside of El Paso," Bush wrote.

Melania Trump
The first lady, through her spokeswoman, said she "hates to see" the separations, though she did not acknowledge the separations are a result of Trump administration policy and called for "both sides of the aisle" to pass immigration reform.

Congress
Sen. John McCain of Arizona, the 2008 Republican presidential nominee, tweeted, "The administration's current family separation policy is an affront to the decency of the American people, and contrary to principles and values upon which our nation was founded. The administration has the power to rescind this policy. It should do so now."

Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse, while defending the administration's efforts to tighten immigration enforcement in a Facebook post Monday, nonetheless called the separation of families "wrong" and wrote "the choice before the American people does not have to be 'wicked versus foolish.'"

"This is wrong. Americans do not take children hostage, period," he wrote.
Maine Sen. Susan Collins called the separations "inconsistent with our American values."
"What the administration has decided to do is to separate children from their parents to try to send a message that if you cross the border with your children, your children are going to be ripped away from you," Collins said on CBS Sunday. "That's traumatizing to the children, who are innocent victims, and it is contrary to our values in this country."

Collins and Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake sent a letter to Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar expressing concern and asking several questions about the asylum process and separations.

Oklahoma Sen. James Lankford has started distancing himself from the Trump administration's use of the Bible as justification for the family separation policy, saying he wants to see the policy addressed and would be speaking with DHS about the issue.

"I have some phone calls -- in fact, I have some calls today even -- with DHS that will be coming up talking about this, how do we make sure we keep as many families together as possible," Lankford said during an interview with local TV station KOCO 5 last week.

In a statement on Twitter, Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch said, "A policy that leads to separating children from their families is wrong."

Texas Rep. Will Hurd spoke out against the administration's policy and noted to CNN's Ana Cabrera on "Newsroom" that it "is clearly something that the administration can change."
"They don't need legislation to change it," Hurd said.

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham told CNN's Kate Bolduan on "At This Hour" Friday that "there is plenty of blame to go around," but acknowledged that Trump could "stop this policy with a phone call."
"If you don't like families being separated, you can go tell DHS stop doing it," Graham said.

Florida Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart issued a statement calling the separations "unconscionable."
"It is totally unacceptable, for any reason, to purposely separate minor children from their parents," he said. "Any and every other option should be implemented in order to not separate minors from their parents, which I believe is unconscionable. We cannot allow for this to continue happening, and it must stop."

Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts renounced the practice in a statement on Twitter:
"While I firmly support enforcing our immigration laws, I am against using parental separation as a deterrent to illegal immigration. My concern, first and foremost, is the protection of the children."
Ohio Rep. Steve Stivers, the chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, came out Monday against the separation of families.

"As a father, I know firsthand that there is nothing more important than family, and I understand why kids need to be with their parents," he wrote in a Facebook post. "That's why I have publicly come out against separating children from their parents at the border."

Stivers also wrote that he will be communicating with the Trump administration to request a change to the practice.
"I am writing a letter to understand the current policies and to ask the Administration to stop needlessly separating children from their parents. If the policy is not changed, I will support other means to stop unnecessary separation of children from their parents," he said.

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz said kids "should not be the victim of a broken illegal immigration system."
"All of us who are seeing images of these children being pulled away from moms and dads in tears are horrified. This has to stop," he said. "We should keep children with their parents. Kids need their moms. They need their dads."
Cruz said he's introducing legislation that will mandate that kids stay with parents, will expedite immigration proceedings and will mandate that asylum cases be heard within 72 hours, and case decided within two weeks.

Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski said the policy is "not consistent with our values."
"The time is now for the White House to end the cruel, tragic separations of families," Murkowski said. "They are not consistent with our values. The thousands of children taken from their parents and families must be reunited as quickly as possible and be treated humanely while immigration proceedings are pending. I am troubled that those seeking asylum are being turned away before they even have the opportunity to file their papers."

Former Republican officials
Former White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci told CNN's "New Day" on Monday that the separations amount to an "atrocious policy."

"It's inhumane. It's offensive to the average American," said Scaramucci, who urged Trump to take action to avoid separations.

Over the weekend, CNN national security analyst Michael Hayden, who was nominated by Bush to lead the CIA, tweeted out a photo of the Birkenau death camp at Auschwitz, writing, "Other governments have separated mothers and children."

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/18/poli ... index.html
Well, I think the responsibility for these children lie squarely on the parents.

Now, that is not to say that these parents acted against their interests, since the best future they could imagine for their offspring would be the US. But why should the US take sole responsibility for this? The policy and whatever is going on sucks ass for sure.

Does Mexico not police is border? What is this?
Zagadka wrote:Yea, taking children from their parents against their will and keeping them in a mass detention facility is totally the same.

It is their will. They know they are breaking the law.
I'm sure people seeking asylum because they are fleeing gang violence spend a lot of time watching CNN and looking up asylum laws on Wikipedia before walking across half a continent. Ideally they should, since we force 4-5 year olds to represent themselves in immigration court.

But yes, as is typical, the right wing response is to blame the people with the least power in this situation rather than Strong Orange Daddy and his administration. An administration that made a conscious decision to separate children from their families and then, in the most cowardly bitch way possible, is trying to blame everyone else for their own actions.

One Degree wrote:Totally illogical as expected. They only exist due to our policies, therefore they are not the issue. They are a prodict of an issue not settled. You don’t have an argument against our current insane policies, so you use an emotional issue to distract from the real issue. Same transparent crap Democrats always use and can only be successful if people are really stupid or dishonest.

They exist due to a conscious decision from Sessions and the rest of the Executive Branch to implement the law in a way that had not been done previously before. That is, purposely charging the parents of asylum seekers as criminals so that their children are separated from them.

Seeing children being rounded up into camps should provoke an emotional response. Especially from 1° whose response, as expected, is anger that anyone should dare ever question Trump for his own actions. Trump could end this right now if he chose to.

Your hero separates children from their families and puts them in camps. Have fun defending that.
Last edited by SpecialOlympian on 19 Jun 2018 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
“This is wrong.”
“This is wrong.”
“This is wrong.”
“What, me support a rational immigration policy? I can’t do that. It might look like Trump is right.”
One Degree wrote:“This is wrong.”
“This is wrong.”
“This is wrong.”
“What, me support a rational immigration policy? I can’t do that. It might look like Trump is right.”

Edit: @SpecialOlympian
I don’t want him to end it. It is a weapon he has to push for legislation people want.
SpecialOlympian wrote:Glad to see you on record supporting child concentration camps. Your slavish loyalty to Trump truly knows know bounds.

No one is mistreating those kids. If I was one of their parents and legitimately in need of asylum, I would be thrilled they were safe.
It is nice seeing conservatives being honest for once in just wanting to explicitly hurt non-white people and belittle them as they're put in cages, all the while claiming that the left is insane despite lacking the social awareness to see that bragging about their psychopathy isn't a very good look.
Right, because it is about them being non white despite the fact no one has mentioned that. Lol. If you don’t have an argument, yell racism. As far as I can tell, it is only about our stupid asylum policy.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Tainari88 , if someone enters your house withou[…]

Considering you have the intelligence of an oyste[…]

Liberals and centrists even feel comfortable just[…]

UK study finds young adults taking longer to find […]