Trumps separating Central American children from their parents. Is this acceptable? - Page 16 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Here is the an audio recording that captures the heartbreaking voices of small children crying out for their parents at a US immigration facility is fuelling fury over the Trump administration’s policy of separating immigrant children from their parents.
"Papa! Papa!" one child is heard wailing in the audio file that was first reported by the nonprofit ProPublica and later provided to The Associated Press.
In the seven-minute tape, children who were reportedly aged four to 10, could be heard crying out for the parents. A guard could be heard joking: "We have an orchestra here."

From this Pro Publica audio recording segments have been broadcast on the mainstream media.

Pro Publica was a recipient of the 2017 Pulitzer Prize for public service, the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for explanatory reporting, the 2011 Pulitzer Prize for national reporting and a 2010 Pulitzer.

Last edited by anarchist23 on 19 Jun 2018 17:47, edited 5 times in total.
SpecialOlympian wrote:Wow, getting emotional 1°. Thank God your superior logic is letting you make the intelligent choice of *checks notes* supporting concentration camps?

At least I don’t think of Latin Americans as non white. I always thought they came in a variety of shades, but you are supposedly the ‘nonracist’ so I am sure your stereotypical racial designations are superior. :)
@Hong Wu

What is that to do with the price of eggs. lol

The claim: US President Donald Trump says the Democrats created a law that separates children from parents who cross the US-Mexico border illegally.

Verdict:There is no law on separating children from parents at the border, but rather a policy introduced recently by the Trump administration.
The policy has led to 1,995 children being separated from families at the border between 19 April and 31 May, in addition to a further 700 children since October 2017.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44303556
Sivad wrote:just separating them from their parents

lol, "just kidnapping"

So, what is your solution to dealing with minors from illegal immigrant families? Apparently you want... to detain the kids... to... what... make them citizens? Keep them in custody? Deport them somewhere else?

"Liberals" don't want any of this shit. We want comprehensive reform of the rules altogether. In the meantime, we also don't want to take children from their families, so we follow the current law and deport them together.
There is no law on separating children from parents at the border, but rather a policy introduced recently by the Trump administration.

I have had one thought about why this is happening that keeps recurring: This Trump policy, and the administrations ardent backing of it serves to "desensitize" the public. If we are forced to accept this level of inhumanity, it prepares the way for even worse offenses. It establishes "precedent" for even worse evils. The Nazi's did much the same in Germany, and look where that wound up.

We must not accept this evil.

Zam :eh:
We seem to be back to conflating ‘illegal immigrants’ with ‘asylum seekers’ to make irrational arguments. You can not deport asylum seekers. Obama’s policy was to give them a bus ticket and hoped they showed up for a hearing in a few years. We seem to agree this needs changed, but Democrats are preventing that change.
Holding them instead of giving them bus tickets make sense. Do you want the children held with adults or separate?
I'm not sure how it's possible for them to never find their parents again, I'm sure all they have to do is ask. Like, people are deluding themselves into thinking that this is done purely out of spite, then they want to level it up and say that they aren't helping the parents and children find each other later which I'm sure is untrue no matter what a tweet from one guy claims another guy said.
Last edited by Hong Wu on 19 Jun 2018 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Zagadka wrote:lol, "just kidnapping"

So, what is your solution to dealing with minors from illegal immigrant families? Apparently you want... to detain the kids... to... what... make them citizens? Keep them in custody? Deport them somewhere else?

"Liberals" don't want any of this shit. We want comprehensive reform of the rules altogether. In the meantime, we also don't want to take children from their families, so we follow the current law and deport them together.

I think liberals love the issue more than the fix. Are you saying you want this amnesty loophole fixed?
One Degree wrote:We seem to be back to conflating ‘illegal immigrants’ with ‘asylum seekers’ to make irrational arguments. You can not deport asylum seekers. Obama’s policy was to give them a bus ticket and hoped they showed up for a hearing in a few years. We seem to agree this needs changed, but Democrats are preventing that change.
Holding them instead of giving them bus tickets make sense. Do you want the children held with adults or separate?

So, what is your policy for asylum seekers? House the entire families until their hearing? Take the kids and hold them separately? What about the parents?

I think liberals love the issue more than the fix. Are you saying you want this amnesty loophole fixed?

I'd love to, depending on the "fix".
Zagadka wrote:So, what is your policy for asylum seekers? House the entire families until their hearing? Take the kids and hold them separately? What about the parents?

First, I would propose changing what is a legitimate cause for seeking asylum. This would reduce the numbers that would allow keeping families together. We don’t have the facilities to do this with current numbers and should not be expected tp provide such facilities.
Simply make asylum laws stricter and make sure everyone is aware of it. The problem is created by their knowing our policy is so lax. That needs to be corrected and the numbers will reduce on their own.
Zagadka wrote:lol, "just kidnapping"

If it was up to me the kids and their parents would be granted full citizenship. I want to put an end to mass immigration but that has to be accomplished ethically. Fucking up someone's country and then denying them refuge is what shitbird conservatives do.

Fuck liberals, fucking liberals are the reason there's mass immigration to begin with. Liberals aren't the good guys, mass immigration isn't a solution to the crisis in the global south, it's just a way for liberals to launder their consciences while carrying on the neoliberal rape of third world.
Zagadka wrote:So, what is your policy for asylum seekers? House the entire families until their hearing? Take the kids and hold them separately? What about the parents?

Follow the law and yes if its possible to not separate. I just don't see anywhere in the law that states asylum seekers should first break our laws before seeking it.

So really this boils down to are you an open border person and are against existing laws or do you believe in the laws (weather you like them all or not) and living in a country which has borders.

What are your ideas?
Finfinder wrote:Follow the law and yes if its possible to not separate. I just don't see anywhere in the law that states asylum seekers should first break our laws before seeking it.

Don't try change narrative. Border patrol agents specifically prevent asylum seekers from being able to request asylum and begin the process. Per The Intercept

U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents are systematically violating U.S. and international law by blocking immigrants at international ports of entry on the southern border from entering the country so they can claim asylum. Immigration civil rights advocates have been documenting this illegal behavior since late 2016, from Texas to California. It was sporadic then, and appears to have been based at least in part on CBP’s difficulties with handling large numbers of people.

Even so, the practice of turning immigrants away has suddenly become routine, creating chilling scenes of immigrants and children camped out near the bridges, exposed to sun, wind, and rain, amid make-do bedding, scattered clothing, and trash. A few times a day, the immigrants walk to the middle of the bridges and ask to be admitted to the port of entry building on the U.S. side so that they can request asylum. They are almost always turned back.

However, we all know the "I just really care about the law" argument is bullshit pushed by conservatives. What it's really about is satisfying the mental illness of the conservative mindset: being told they are better than some group in exchange for allowing the rich to slowly grind them to death through capitalism.

Fake, it's reinvestment in communities attacked on[…]

It is not an erosion of democracy to point out hi[…]

@FiveofSwords , when do you plan to call for a r[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

There are intelligent and stupid ways to retain p[…]