Harvard Sued for Admissions Bias Against East Asians - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
https://nypost.com/2018/06/19/harvards- ... ny-asians/

The Harvard University admissions process appears to be an ongoing micro-aggression against Asian-Americans.

A group called Students for Fair Admissions is suing the school for alleged racial discrimination and has filed documents in federal court making a persuasive case, based on data provided by the school.

Harvard denies it, but one of the imperatives of the affirmative action regime in college admissions is that schools never admit what they are doing.

The great and good at Harvard will insist that Asian-Americans all be called by their preferred pronouns, but they won’t afford them equal treatment in the admissions process. They will upbraid anyone daring to ask an Asian-American where he is from, but will, in effect, hold his ethnic background against him.

And they will do it by relying on the stereotype of Asian-Americans as dull, unrelatable “model students.”

According to the analysis of Duke University economist Peter Arcidiacono, an expert for the plaintiffs, an Asian-American applicant who is a male, not economically disadvantaged, and has, based on his other characteristics, a 25 percent chance of getting in, would see his odds markedly increase if he belonged to another group. His chances of admission would be 36 percent if he were white; 77 percent if he were Hispanic; and 95 percent if he were black.

The universities don't want reality to intrude upon their narrative but something tells me that east Asian people aren't going to accept being penalized in something like college admissions because white people enslaved black people in America 150 years ago.

For a bit of history, white people forced the Chinese to legalize drugs (likely contributing heavily to their ultra-conservative culture today), nuked Japan and the Korean war is only officially ending maybe some time this year but they somehow need to be penalized in school admissions. Meanwhile, some other groups need handicaps to compensate for increasingly obscure wrongs that happened in the distant past. If the belief that east Asians are "boring model students" who subtly lack potential is true, the way you actualize these differences in potential can only be by allowing people to build social infrastructure and families (that tradition thing), not by trying to force east Asians down to the same level in some machine as very different kinds of people. Just my humble opinion!
This would be something the DoJ should get interested in. I think public universities probably do this too, and since they take tax payer funding, the argument you just made is pretty cogent. Asians score the highest, dealt with some oppression as well, and should not be taking a back seat to any other race; and, it is not good for the country.

Politically, Trump could begin to split the Asian vote, which for some bizarre reason--like blacks--votes for the party that oppressed them.
Decky wrote:I would be shocked if the US manages to abolish the weird caste system that they have decided to set up but who knows maybe they will manage.

It's doubtful, Decky. Racial hierarchy has been built into American society from the moment the first European settlers set foot in the place. The only reason they were able to avoid the worst absurdities of a class hierarchy was by enslaving everyone who didn't have lily-white skin. Even the Irish and Italians weren't white enough for them. Lol.
Decky wrote:To be fair are the Italians really white? What contribution have they made to humanity since the fall of Rome?

The Renaissance, Decky. And pizza. And fancy sports cars. Umm.... that's it.
Decky wrote:To be fair are the Italians really white? What contribution have they made to humanity since the fall of Rome?

They control the world’s eyeglass market. :)
Wait, maybe that is not a good thing.
Hong Wu wrote:The universities don't want reality to intrude upon their narrative but something tells me that east Asian people aren't going to accept being penalized in something like college admissions because white people enslaved black people in America 150 years ago.

For a bit of history, white people forced the Chinese to legalize drugs (likely contributing heavily to their ultra-conservative culture today), nuked Japan and the Korean war is only officially ending maybe some time this year but they somehow need to be penalized in school admissions. Meanwhile, some other groups need handicaps to compensate for increasingly obscure wrongs that happened in the distant past. If the belief that east Asians are "boring model students" who subtly lack potential is true, the way you actualize these differences in potential can only be by allowing people to build social infrastructure and families (that tradition thing), not by trying to force east Asians down to the same level in some machine as very different kinds of people. Just my humble opinion!

I'll be honest, the anti-east Asian bias that is developing at universities more-or-less runs counter to the Alt. Right narrative that universities are solely anti-white (sort of like the U.S. supporting the white russians against the bolsheviks runs counter to their conspiracy of a capitalist-communist aligned Jewish world-order).

Indeed, if the post-colonial Neo-Marxist thing were as big of a deal as the far-right has made out were true, there are plenty of reasons why professors holding such "alleged" views would consider East-Asians an oppressed class (indeed several of the reasons you already mentioned in the OP).

Rather, it seems, that the inherent traditionalism, comformist impulse, and high-performance of east-asians puts them into a category with conservative upper middle-class whites in the eyes of professors, for like whites, they refuse to view themselves as victims needing a powerful state.

This falls far closer to the notion that the issue has never really been this paranoid anti-white conspiracy as some Far-righters advocate, rather the issue has always been statism v. self-reliance. This is because East-Asians in the U.S. are not likely to rely on welfare in the same way as other non-white demographics. This is partly because of intelligence and performance, but also because of conservative family values and household stability and a enviable work-ethic. Though East-Asians have tended towards weird varieties of statism in their own nations, in the U.S. they tend to be very self-reliant and this is simply unacceptable for those who believe that collectivism is the way of the future.

If you are a committed Marxist professor at Harvard, you not only want less white people, but less east-Asians for similar reasons. It has less to do about race as it does with the potential for self-reliance. The more inclined towards state-reliance a demographic is, the more the Marxists want them in a nation like the United States. This is also why I have far less of a problem with my children intermarrying east-Asians (provided they convert to our religious beliefs of course) than with any other racial demographic (besides my own of course). Their blood and culture has not yet been corrupted with a victim mentality and they do have a one-up on whites in addition to this, which is a pride in their own heritage, which has become marginalized in white societies.
Victoribus Spolia wrote:Rather, it seems, that the inherent traditionalism, comformist impulse, and high-performance of east-asians puts them into a category with conservative upper middle-class whites in the eyes of professors, for like whites, they refuse to view themselves as victims needing a powerful state.

Right. They are also not going to become LSD heads like SpecialOlypian. So they can't be as easily inculcated with left wing propaganda. Breaking down the anti-Asian discrimination of the political left might lead to a much-needed infusion of social conservatism on college campuses.
blackjack21 wrote: Breaking down the anti-Asian discrimination of the political left might lead to a much-needed infusion of social conservatism on college campuses.

That is an interesting theory, turning cultural marxism against actual marxism, the mistake though is in the thinking that they are in fact distinct. cultural marxism is a ruse, in reality, there is no real divide between the two. Ho Chi Mihn was a post-colonialist race-baitor if there ever was one, but he was marxist through-and-through. At the academic level, old marxism and neo-marxism are the same thing and always have been. One only has to read Engels on the family and private property to know this, the gender-blender SJW movement is just an expression of this older worldview now being able to manifest itself. They would've tried this crazy shit earlier if they could have gotten away with it. Now they can because the state has sufficiently eroded traditional values and self-reliance to the point that more radical notions, social and economic, can now be proposed without violent response. (Also keep in mind that the social approach of the American left was necessary because the working class in the U.S. never viewed itself as oppressed by the rich, much unlike Europe, so the strategy had to be different here).

Pointing out that Asians are being discriminated against by mainly white faculty at Harvard may seem like an effective strategy to get the left to start devouring themselves and thus spurning a conservative renaissance on campus, but that is a misplaced hope.

In reality, once the SJWs are told by their older white marxist overlords that Asians ought to be discriminated against because they threaten the American welfare state and are basically just slanty eyed white people, the SJWs will join in on the anti-Asian discrimination and it could become an actual thing (mark my words). The whole issue is not really about race, its about the state and deep down inside this is already pre-programmed in SJWs.

Do you think they haven't noticed the Alt. Right's obsession with anime and Japanese cultural homogeneity (including its immigration policies)? Trust me, once the left gets the courage and direction, it will demonize the very racist (and successful) Koreans and Japanese. Its only a matter of time.

Enjoy your black pill, it goes down easier with Whiskey.
California banned race-conscious affirmative action in 1996. Last year, UCLA admitted California freshmen: just under 40 percent are Asian-American; 25 percent are white; 24 percent are Chicano/Latino; more than 6 percent are African-American. Harvard is probably trying to maintain a white majority in the student body. Otherwise, the proportion of Asian-American students would be close to 40% of the student body, which reminds me of “the Hebrew question” at Harvard in the 1920s.

The racial/ethnic breakdown of Harvard's student body is as follows:

White- 50%
Asian- 22%
African American- 15%
Latino- 12%

In 1922, Lowell and other administrators had become “increasingly alarmed” over the rising number of Jewish students earning admission to the College based on their high test scores, SFFA’s document reads. Jewish applicants scored a significant amount of spots due to their top marks on the exam. At this time, 21.5 percent of the student population identified as Jewish.

Lowell referred to “the Hebrew question” as a “knotty one” and a “source of much anxiety.” He concluded that Harvard could do “the most good” by limiting the number of men admitted from the religious group, even warning fellow administrators and the governing bodies that unless the University took action, the “danger would be imminent.”

In the same year, Lowell attempted to institute quotas on the amount of Jewish students admitted to the College, framing it as a method to curb “increasing” anti-Semitism among the student body, Lowell wrote in a letter to Alfred A. Benesch, Class of 1900.

“If [the] number [of Jews] should become 40 percent of the student body, the race feeling would become intense. If every college in the country would take a limited proportion of Jews, I suspect we should go a long way toward eliminating race feeling among students,” Lowell wrote.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2018 ... ns-origin/
I don't agree with the statements on Engels, as I never took the on the family stuff seriously, and I don't really think it is taken that seriously. I also think Engels was a skilled narrator and pretty decent commentator, but not a genius and his writings don't fully represent Marxism. The Condition of the Working Class in London was a well-written treatise but not providing of extraordinary insight. In short, Engels was great and all but Engels ain't Marx.

One thing some Asians are good for is the ability for fruitful discussion on Marxism. Some like it, some don't, some have tuned it out. But Marxism is a serious subject in Asia. Even in Japan, though less so. In China, it's second fiddle to Chinese, English and math, but still a key subject.
Crantag wrote:I don't agree with the statements on Engels, as I never took the on the family stuff seriously, and I don't really think it is taken that seriously. I also think Engels was a skilled narrator and pretty decent commentator, but not a genius and his writings don't fully represent Marxism. The Condition of the Working Class in London was a well-written treatise but not providing of extraordinary insight. In short, Engels was great and all but Engels ain't Marx.

I think you mean the condition of the working class in England, not London. The book was mostly researched in Manchester (over 260 miles away from London) while Engels was visiting mills in the area.

Anti-Asian bias exists in many more places than just Harvard and UCLA still runs an affirmative action program under the table, it's just not official. They only went one year without any affirmative action at all and only about 8 black students got in, everyone freaked out.

I agree that splitting the Asian vote is crucial for any/all right leaning movements in America because they might become America's largest minority group (after Hispanics, who are sometimes treated as white). I also sometimes point out how Chinese communism is basically to the right of American Republicans but that's a somewhat different subject. Point being, there should be more lawsuits like this.
Why would the university be biased against students who pay full price out-of-state admission tuition? They basically fund the rest of the students because China is still a loser country with no decent universities and no rich Chinee man wants to have his children go to a Chinese university because they are shit and nobody takes any of their degrees seriously.
SpecialOlympian wrote:Why would the university be biased against students who pay full price out-of-state admission tuition? They basically fund the rest of the students because China is still a loser country with no decent universities and no rich Chinee man wants to have his children go to a Chinese university because they are shit and nobody takes any of their degrees seriously.

Mostly state schools that charge out of state tuition.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]