DHS Report: 2000 Children Separated From Parents In Past Six Weeks - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
2,000 Children Separated From Parents in Six weeks Under Trump Policy

Almost 2,000 children have been separated from their families at the US southern border over a six-week period during a crackdown on illegal entries, according to Department of Homeland Security figures obtained on Friday by the Associated Press.

The figures show that 1,995 minors were separated from 1,940 adults between 19 April and 31 May 2018. The separations were not broken down by age, and included separations for illegal entry, immigration violations or possible criminal conduct by the adult.

Under a “zero tolerance” policy announced by the attorney general, Jeff Sessions, Department of Homeland Security officials are now referring all cases of illegal entry for criminal prosecution. US protocol prohibits detaining children with their parents because the children are not charged with a crime, while the parents are.

Sessions announced the effort on 6 April, and homeland security began stepping up referrals in early May, effectively putting the policy into action.

Since then, stories of weeping children torn from the arms of their frightened parents have emerged and the policy has been widely criticised by church groups, politicians on both sides of the aisle and children’s advocates. A fresh battle in Congress is brewing, in part over this issue.

Some immigrant advocates have said women were being separated from their infants – a charge homeland security and justice department officials flatly denied. They also said the children were being well cared for and disputed reports of disorder and mistreatment at the border.

The new figures are for people who tried to enter the US between official border crossings. Asylum seekers who go directly to official crossings are not typically separated from their families.

A small number of reporters were given strictly controlled access earlier this week to one immigration detention centre where some children forcibly separated from their parents, or crossing the border alone, are being held. A quotation from former president Barack Obama is written on a wall in the Casa Padre centre in Brownsville, Texas. In English and Spanish, it states: “We are and always will be a nation of immigrants.”

Many of the 1,500 children in the facility, a former Walmart, might more readily agree with a part of Obama’s 2014 speech that is not on the wall: “Our immigration system is broken – and everybody knows it.”

A series of protest rallies organised by a group called Families Belong Together took place across the US on Thursday. Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, president of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, issued a statement on Wednesday criticizing the government’s immigration policies. “Separating babies from their mothers is not the answer and is immoral,” he said.

First of all, this is really all the Democrats have left in order to paint the president as Hitler and to motivate their base to vote. Second, it's not "Trump policy." Apparently, it was a government policy agreed upon by both Republicans and Democrats in 1985.

The Original Flores Settlement

In 1985, two organizations filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of immigrant children who had been detained by the former Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) challenging procedures regarding the detention, treatment, and release of children. After many years of litigation, including an appeal to the United States Supreme Court, the parties reached a settlement in 1997.

The Flores Settlement Agreement (Flores) imposed several obligations on the immigration authorities, which fall into three broad categories:

1. The government is required to release children from immigration detention without unnecessary delay to, in order of preference, parents, other adult relatives, or licensed programs willing to accept custody.

2. If a suitable placement is not immediately available, the government is obligated to place children in the “least restrictive” setting appropriate to their age and any special needs.

3.The government must implement standards relating to the care and treatment of children in immigration detention.

According to advocates, as well as the Department of Justice Office of the Inspector General, the INS did not immediately comply with the terms of the Agreement. It was only after the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) assumed responsibility for the care and custody of unaccompanied children in 2003—a product of years of advocacy on the part of human rights organizations, religious groups, and political leaders—that noticeable changes were implemented.

ORR, like the former INS and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), has failed to issue regulations implementing the terms of the settlement, as required by the parties’ 2001 stipulation extending the agreement.

Original Source
Donald "Pass The Buck" Trump does it again. Kids ripped from their mothers and held in cages. Extreme censorship of the event on Donald's orders. No photos permitted. A U.S. Senator refused entry. One facility in Brownsville which was obviously a setup was open for inspection. This is Donald's "zero tolerance" program. DHS officers are government employees and Trump is their boss. He could end it with a phone call but wait ………….. the Democrats did it :lol: and if they give Donald $40,000,000,000 to build a wall on the Mexican border (which, if memory serves me, the Mexicans were going to pay for) he'll let his hostage children go.

Just when we think President Dick Head has hit bottom ………. he goes even lower. America's time of being great have ended. Certainly we are now looked upon with disdain by the rest of the world. Putin is laughing.
Trump is a proven serial liar and a very accomplished con artist. We can assume that when he crows Make America Great Again ….. the opposite will happen.

This thread should be renamed: "Trump Steps In Shit!" :lol:
Why is it that Republicans can never defend their own parties policies on the basis of them being good ideas? They always just point out "the Democrats did it too." Who cares? The Democrats are obviously going to be doing most of the stuff the republicans do, they parties are identical centre right shit shows. If you think the policy is good then explain why. Don't just point out the obvious fact that the other centre right capitalist party of the US also acts in the same way.
Decky wrote:Why is it that Republicans can never defend their own parties policies on the basis of them being good ideas? They always just point out "the Democrats did it too."

It is illustrative of how this entire thing is manufactured to push a totally transparent partisan narrative.

All of the sudden the issue of detaining families at the border is like the holocaust.

The only reason this is being pushed so hard is to put Republicans on the defense, which is a weak position to be in.

Decky wrote:If you think the policy is good then explain why.

It's a good policy because what is the alternative? It is certainly a better policy than gunning down entire families. It is a better policy than just letting these people run wild inside of the US.

I watched that press conference of that DHS official and after she broke down the entire situation and defended the policy, and every single journalists within the gaggle whined like a bunch of emotional children. And they have suggested no better policy.

Here's the clip:

My only criticism is that she should have just come out and admitted that DHS and the White House are using the issue of separating children and families as pawns, to force a political solution. That part is pretty obvious.
Decky wrote:Why is it that Republicans can never defend their own parties policies on the basis of them being good ideas? They always just point out "the Democrats did it too." Who cares? The Democrats are obviously going to be doing most of the stuff the republicans do, they parties are identical centre right shit shows. If you think the policy is good then explain why. Don't just point out the obvious fact that the other centre right capitalist party of the US also acts in the same way.

I agree, but the emotionalism inherent in institutionalized political correctness makes telling the truth political suicide. Trump has managed it somewhat, but few seem to have the guts to follow him. Even Trump compromises too much. Many Republicans are still afraid it will cost them votes, and ofcourse that is all that matters to them.
Decky wrote:Why is it that Republicans can never defend their own parties policies on the basis of them being good ideas? They always just point out "the Democrats did it too." Who cares? The Democrats are obviously going to be doing most of the stuff the republicans do, they parties are identical centre right shit shows. If you think the policy is good then explain why. Don't just point out the obvious fact that the other centre right capitalist party of the US also acts in the same way.

Because the leftist propaganda machine is too large and comprehensive.
maz wrote:It's a good policy because what is the alternative? It is certainly a better policy than gunning down entire families. It is a better policy than just letting these people run wild inside of the US.
You've managed to identify 2 scenarios you consider worse than separating children from parents but haven't considered Obama's policy of prosecuting and deporting families together. From a PR perspective this is better than seperation and is also better than the 2 alternatives you identified earlier. So Trump's policy is second best and Obama's is the best, by your standards.
Hong Wu wrote:This is one of the most thoroughly debunked misquotes of the past few months. Also we don't need two threads on this.

Unfortunately, I didn't see the other thread. I figured this topic would be either here in North America or in the main forum. I did not even look in Political Circus first before I started the topic here.

AFAIK wrote:You've managed to identify 2 scenarios you consider worse than separating children from parents but haven't considered Obama's policy of prosecuting and deporting families together. From a PR perspective this is better than seperation and is also better than the 2 alternatives you identified earlier. So Trump's policy is second best and Obama's is the best, by your standards.

Are you referring to Homeland Security under Obama deporting immigrant families who entered the US illegally? Because that did indeed happen.

See here and here

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think what you are referring to is Obama's catch and release policy, where families seeking asylum or given refugee status, are kept together and just left to run wild inside the US.

Which is equivalent to the 2nd alternative I mentioned. Potentially a de facto open borders scenario, especially when the immigrant activist lawyers and liberal courts working for well funded NGOs get involved.
Last edited by maz on 20 Jun 2018 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah the larger thread is in the wrong forum section.

I'm struck by how many different narratives there are going on here. There's accompanied minors and split up families, unaccompanied minors, people claiming asylum and people not claiming asylum. It seems that within the hysteria the left hasn't settled upon what it is exactly that they're complaining about other than the fact that there's children in custody.
Donald Trump is deporting fewer people than Barack Obama did
By The Economist

Yet figures released by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) on December 5th show that the total number of deportations has declined over the past fiscal year—from October 1st 2016 to September 30th 2017—to the lowest level seen since 2006. The data also show that deportation has become less selective in the Trump era, increasing the risk of removal for people like Mr Barrios Mendoza, who have led long and quiet lives in America.

The decrease in total deportations is largely explained by a 17% drop in the number of immigrants arrested and removed at the border over the past fiscal year. Recent border crossers are the easiest to deport; those found within 100 miles (161km) of the frontier who have been in America 14 days or fewer are not entitled to make their case before an immigration judge, a process that can take months, if not years, in the backlogged courts. DHS officials credit tighter border security and more stringent interior enforcement with dissuading migrants from making the risky trek across America’s southern frontier. Mr Trump’s harsh rhetoric probably served as a deterrent, but border apprehensions, which are often used as a proxy for illegal immigration, began declining before he moved into the Oval Office.

Trump appears to be better at deterrence than deporting.
AFAIK wrote:Donald Trump is deporting fewer people than Barack Obama did
By The Economist

The Trump administration’s guidelines are far more sweeping. ICE officers are to focus not just on immigrants with criminal convictions, but even on those with unsettled criminal charges. The instructions do not distinguish between violent crimes and more minor infractions, such as traffic offences or immigration crimes, which include crossing into America without permission.

Targeting illegals for mere traffic violations is very good, because I have a feeling that a good number of illegals are committing a disproportionate amount of them.

Aside from the drunk driving incidents, which you can read about every day in the news from any city with a high number of immigrants, a lot of them are also driving without insurance or other without licenses.

I have only been in two traffic accidents as a driver, one where I was rear ended (not at fault) and the other one was in an incident illegal day laborer who was driving one of those huge work trucks who ran into my car.

It was pretty clear that the illegal driver was at fault and when the police came on the scene, the driver of course spoke no English. So a company representative had to come to the scene to speak on behalf of the driver and his company.

After about 20 minutes of discussion, the police officer refused to assign blame or issue a traffic violation to either of us so I was stuck with repairing my car which sustained almost $700 worth of damage.

For the police, it is too much trouble for them to get involved with illegals so they basically just let them do whatever unless they seriously injure or kill someone in a traffic accident.
The scuttlebutt going around is that, now that Trump has put America squarely against motherhood in the eyes of the world (fuck them), he will come out with a PRESIDENTIAL PROCULMATION against apple pie next week. :eek: Wow! What a guy. He's not taking any shit from anyone.
jimjam wrote:Image

A two-year-old Honduran asylum seeker cries...……..

Here is one of Trump's hostages. While there is extreme censorship being exercised with photographs banned, this one from the British paper The Guardian slipped through

Father says little Honduran girl on Time cover was not taken from mother

The Honduran toddler pictured sobbing in a pink jacket before U.S. President Donald Trump on an upcoming cover of Time magazine was not separated from her mother at the U.S. border, according to a man who says he is the girl's father.

The powerful original photograph, taken at the scene of a border detention by Getty Images photographer John Moore, became one of the iconic images in the flurry of media coverage about the separation of families by the Trump administration.

Dozens of newspapers and magazines around the globe published the picture, swelling the tide of outrage that pushed Trump to back down Wednesday and say families would no longer be separated.

"My daughter has become a symbol of the ... separation of children at the U.S. border. She may have even touched President Trump's heart," Denis Valera told Reuters in a telephone interview.

Valera said the little girl and her mother, Sandra Sanchez, have been detained together in the Texas border town of McAllen, where Sanchez has applied for asylum, and they were not separated after being detained near the border.

Honduran deputy foreign minister Nelly Jerez confirmed Valera's version of events.

How many more of these stupid hoaxes are we going to have to tolerate?

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]