Trump and the G6: A photo for the ages... - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

hartmut wrote:Trump tweets at 16. June in your link:
"I have a great relationship with Angela Merkel of Germany, but the Fake News Media only shows the bad photos.."
That is of course nonsense. He insulted her at almost every occasion and now 18. June, only two days later he tweets:
"The people of Germany are turning against their leadership as migration is rocking the already tenuous Berlin coalition. Crime in Germany is way up."
And here we see what fake news is: Crime in Germany is not "way up".
It is simply a lie of Donald directed against the German Chancellor.
BS with a ferocity that brakes any diplomacy between partners.

I also doubt they are best friends, but diplomats won't skip a beat because of this.

hartmut wrote:But what you can see in all pictures of your Trump-tweet: One side Donald, other side all others.
Little wonder.

The alternative interpretation is that everybody gathers around Trump and hence he's the most important person in the room. He is also comfortably seated while the others have to stand.

At any rate, different pictures can convey different things and each country's PR team chose one that they thought was most advantageous to their leader. Not that that's a particularly profound insight, I'm just stating the obvious.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:I also doubt they are best friends, but diplomats won't skip a beat because of this.

But diplomacy skips more than one beat.
As it is the end of a rule: not to interfere in inner aspects of partner-countries.
We clearly have to see, we are not longer regarded of being such.

The alternative interpretation is that everybody gathers around Trump and hence he's the most important person in the room. He is also comfortably seated while the others have to stand.

At any rate, different pictures can convey different things and each country's PR team chose one that they thought was most advantageous to their leader. Not that that's a particularly profound insight, I'm just stating the obvious.

If so, it is remarkable what picture Germans choose, after Trump spilled mud on Trudeau, and before he attacked the German government in a way close to calling for it's overturn.
And this spiced by a kind of lie, that we were rather accustomed to by the other side of the iron curtain.
This 'skips beats' indeed..

BTW: thank you for that charming phrase.
http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/06/19/g ... -year-high

American’s satisfaction with the country just hit a 12 year high. I don’t think interpreting pictures to make Trump look bad is working. The more the media tries to crucify him, the higher his ratings.
hartmut wrote:But diplomacy skips more than one beat.
As it is the end of a rule: not to interfere in inner aspects of partner-countries.
We clearly have to see, we are not longer regarded of being such.

I don't know. Obama and Cameron thought it was fine for Obama to warn the British people that Britain "would be going to the back of the queue" before the Brexit referendum, which is quite close to interference, so the rules seem to depend on who is interfering and what it is about. On the other hand, Trump was descriptive in the statement you quoted. He's not entirely wrong either - violent crime is up in Germany compared to before the migrant crisis.

hartmut wrote:If so, it is remarkable what picture Germans choose, after Trump spilled mud on Trudeau, and before he attacked the German government in a way close to calling for it's overturn.
And this spiced by a kind of lie, that we were rather accustomed to by the other side of the iron curtain.
This 'skips beats' indeed..

Justin will be "a great guy" again soon. I wouldn't make too much of it.

hartmut wrote:BTW: thank you for that charming phrase.

You are welcome. :)
Kaiserschmarrn;
Crime in total is on a 25 years lowest level.
https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten ... seit-1997/
Violent crime rose in Germany from 2015 to 2016 from 181.386 to 193.542 and then fell to 188.946.
Ten years before (in 2007) 217.923 were counted.
https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten ... inalitaet/

What Donald wants to make us believe, and especially his own public, that immigrants are a major source of all kinds of trouble.
And of course, he cares a damn about truth, but sees a base for his power in scapegoating minorities.

If you look back in history this scheme was applied recurrently, and never by a decent man.
hartmut wrote:Kaiserschmarrn;
Crime in total is on a 25 years lowest level.
https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten ... seit-1997/
Violent crime rose in Germany from 2015 to 2016 from 181.386 to 193.542 and then fell to 188.946.
Ten years before (in 2007) 217.923 were counted.
https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten ... inalitaet/

Yes, crime including violent crime was on a continuous decline before the migrant crisis after which there was an increase in violent crime and particularly murder and it is still higher than it was before.

hartmut wrote:What Donald wants to make us believe, and especially his own public, that immigrants are a major source of all kinds of trouble.
And of course, he cares a damn about truth, but sees a base for his power in scapegoating minorities.

If you look back in history this scheme was applied recurrently, and never by a decent man.

I don't care if Trump is genuine or completely correct. He's right with respect to murder.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Yes, crime including violent crime was on a continuous decline before the migrant crisis after which there was an increase in violent crime and particularly murder and it is still higher than it was before.

That is simply not the case and cannot derived from the data I linked.
It is dishonest to claim this with reference to the quoted numbers.
That is "Pippi-longstocking" logic ("I gonna make the world apt to my own understanding").
In all three fields: crime, violent crime, murder, there was no abnormal development in Germany, and there is no at present.
And in all these fields Germany is very superior to the very State Donald ostensibly rules in some kind.

He is attacking Germany with plain lies because she (Germany) is successful, still following a way of decency he hates.
Because it brings no glory, but only peace and would dry out his bribes from the arms industry.
What an ..... .
(Kaiserschmarrn, do you know what made him great? Papas money, and a so called "reality show", for which we have in German language a much less euphemistic term.)

To come back: how was your perception formed by available statistics?
hartmut wrote:That is simply not the case and cannot derived from the data I linked. It is dishonest to claim this with reference to the quoted numbers.

It's a description of the data, so I'm not sure why you call it dishonest. On a plot it it looks like this (normalised to 2013):

hartmut wrote:That is "Pippi-longstocking" logic ("I gonna make the world apt to my own understanding").
In all three fields: crime, violent crime, murder, there was no abnormal development in Germany, and there is no at present.

Moving the goal posts and introducing a subjective assessment is more akin to the logic you describe above.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:It's a description of the data, so I'm not sure why you call it dishonest. On a plot it it looks like this (normalised to 2013):

Moving the goal posts and introducing a subjective assessment is more akin to the logic you describe above.

It would be a nice habit to link the source, to investigate it.
But I think the graphs are correct and do coincide with the links I posted.
So lets have look on them:
They are normalized to the lowest average level ever (2013) in a regarded time line of 15 years. In this way the impression of a way up is almost inevitable. Had been the graphs normalized to 2007, for instance, their appearance would quite different.
Next thing we should regard are scale and size of the database.
Scale is about 14% plus-minus.
Database registered millions in total crime per year, about 200.000 in violent crime, murders in the hundreds (thank god we do not have US-numbers).
So, in case of murder single terrorist attacks brings great change to German statistics, which in all aspects are favourable.

BTW:
Did you know that there is correlation in Sweden between counted numbers of storks and given births?
:D .. which is far from mystery, but easy to explain.
It stretches my imagination to believe you do not appreciate at least that complexity.
What I do like, is the time shift we do share equally.
No quick answers, no hot tempered beating.
Thank you for that.

To come back to the threads origin:
Donald choose international isolation for his country.
The picture shows the man on one side, and all others on the other.
This could be historic in future and mark the outcome of US-decline.
"From now on it will be America first, and only America first!"
What a folly ..
I find it amusing those who believe the US is in for some huge decline because of foreign relations. Any serious decline will only come from internal conflict. To think otherwise is to not fully consider the US advantages including huge geographic advantage. The same people are often the ones most adamant about US militarism.
What do you think a militarized US, ostracized by the rest of the world, will do if they need something you have?

Edit: Rare-earth elements might be the only problem since China supplies 97% of the world’s needs.
Edit2: Nevermind. The US has plenty, just regulations preventing mining.
I don’t really understand why anyone thinks it is necessary for Trump to be smart, politically correct, civil, or even trustworthy.
He was elected to do a couple things people want done. He has pursued his campaign promises more diligently than any President in my recall.
I don’t ask any more than that and am glad to finally get it.
One degree wrote:I don’t really understand why anyone thinks it is necessary for Trump to be smart, politically correct, civil, or even trustworthy.
He was elected to do a couple things people want done
You know these two sentences contradict each other, don't you? If you can't trust him, how can you expect him to get what you want done?

One degree wrote:He has pursued his campaign promises more diligently than any President in my recall.
Gotcha. Championing Trump, yet again. @SpecialOlympian hit the nail on the head.
Godstud wrote:You know these two sentences contradict each other, don't you? If you can't trust him, how can you expect him to get what you want done?

Gotcha. Championing Trump, yet again. @SpecialOlympian hit the nail on the head.

Reading comprehension is your friend. There is no contradiction and there is no championing Trump. You saw what you so desperately wanted to see.
Beren wrote:The problem with Trump claiming something is that one can never know how much truth there is to it because it can be anything within the range between half-truth and complete lie.

The truth must be protected with a body guard of lies. If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. Period. See? Trump can play this game too.

who want to see the world burn. No, just America[…]

The only people creating an unsafe situation on c[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 23, Tuesday New tax puts up the cost of be[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I haven't bothered to watch all of this video. The[…]