US Open: Naomi Osaka defeats Serena Williams; US Open shocked, lionizes Williams; shames Osaka - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
It seems the entire US Open shamed itself after Naomi Osaka beat Serena Williams at the US Open.

It’s shameful what US Open did to Naomi Osaka
It’s hard to recall a more unsportsmanlike event.

Here was a young girl who pulled off one of the greatest upsets ever, who fought for every point she earned, ashamed.

At the awards ceremony, Osaka covered her face with her black visor and cried. The crowd booed her. Katrina Adams, chairman and president of the USTA, opened the awards ceremony by denigrating the winner and lionizing Williams — whose ego, if anything, needs piercing.

“Perhaps it’s not the finish we were looking for today,” Adams said, “but Serena, you are a champion of all champions.” Addressing the crowd, Adams added, “This mama is a role model and respected by all.”

It's an absolute disgrace.

She turned to Williams. “I’m really grateful I was able to play with you,” Osaka said. “Thank you.” She bowed her head to Williams, and Williams just took it — no reciprocation, no emotion.

At first, Serena Williams got a coaching violation because her French coach made a hand gesture, which he later admitted. After that incident, she kept arguing with the chair umpire and called him a thief, for which she received a game penalty and lost a game in the second set. The scoreline was 4-3 but it became 5-3 in favor of Naomi Osaka, who only had to serve it out to win the title.

The chair umpire clearly overstepped his boundaries by taking a game away from Serena and making her lose the match, about which the home crowd were booing. Naomi Osaka defeated Serena Williams in a previous encounter and she should have won it fair and square. I think Carlos Ramos should be disqualified.

Ramos also has a reputation as a stickler for the rules. At last year’s French Open, he drew criticism from the eventual champion, Rafael Nafal after they argued during a fourth-round match. Ramos gave Nadal two warnings for slow play, and the Spaniard felt he was being unfairly treated.

“I say it with sadness, but he is an umpire who scrutinises me more and who fixates on me more,” Nadal said after the match. “He also pressured me about coaching. I have respect for him and all I ask is for that to be reciprocated.

“The umpires are here to analyse the match and they are not here to use the stopwatch. There are some who like to take part in the matches more and who like to put more pressure on than others. If you want to see good tennis, you have to let the players breathe a little.”

Ramos has also been accused of inconsistencies. At this year’s Wimbledon quarter-final between Novak Djokovic and Kei Nishikori both players threw their rackets to the ground in frustration. However, only Djokovic was issued a warning and directed a comment at the umpire during the game: “Double standards, my friend, double standards,” he told Ramos. After the match, Djokovic brought the subject up again with reporters. “I thought I didn’t harm the grass. I know how I threw the racket. [Nishikori] even threw the racket in the fourth set. [Ramos] said he didn’t see it it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... re-us-open

Naomi Osaka speaks only childish Japanese that she learned from her Japanese mother and she's also an American citizen currently living in Florida. The Japanese media reports her as the first Japanese Grand Slam champion and she's going to represent Japan at the Tokyo Olympics as a medal hope. As long as she keeps in touch with her Japanese roots, she can pass as a Japanese tennis player. Everything from her tennis shoes to racket is also ostensibly Japanese products, endorsed by Japanese companies.

Last edited by ThirdTerm on 11 Sep 2018 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
blackjack21 wrote:It seems a lot of people are defending Serena Williams' behavior.

Superstar status equals superstar protection it appears. At least the ITF have stood by the official.

In an age where other sports are bringing in rules to protect the official, tennis wants to look the other way it seems. The official punished Williams in accordance with the rules. Her coach shouldn't have done hand gestures and if he gets caught doing so, Williams should have told him off (off court). But she lost her cool on court instead. Poor judgement.

I'm sorry but this is just looking for blame when there is none. If her claim of officials letting men off punishments that they should have received from the matches prior to this match had much weight to it, then why has this issue only been raised now? There is only a "so called issue with sexism" now because that was the only excuse Williams could come up with after the game in heist. She didn't even make that claim on court. I doubt there is any sexism here. But perhaps Tennis does need to look at consistency or change the rules. Superstar names do seem to have more leniency given to them than lesser names - I have noticed that myself. Nadal serving times between points is a joke. So perhaps Williams was surprised her status wasn't a pass for bad behaviour this time around because of that. And because it wasn't, she went for a full meltdown. And now the world backs her for illogical reasoning.
Rancid wrote:They may not take kindly to her interracial background.

The Japanese may not like her interracial background, but they seemed to have connected with her in some way. At least in one article I read suggests that they view her favorably for having attitudes and mannerisms that are distinctly Japanese.

Interesting fact about Serena Williams; she sits at the head of the advisory board of Oath, the parent company for Huffington Post, Yahoo, Tumblr and other similar leftist media outlets.

This has to be why Yahoo, Huffington Post and other media outlets are relentless in shoving this person down the throats of the public.

Serena Williams on Why She’s Chairing Oath’s Board of Advisors

After officially announcing her role as Chair of Oath's new Board of Advisors, Serena Williams came to Oath's New York headquarters on Monday, Nov. 6, to talk about her goals and values, and why she chose to team up with Oath.
maz wrote:Interesting fact about Serena Williams; she sits at the head of the advisory board of Oath, the parent company for Huffington Post, Yahoo, Tumblr and other similar leftist media outlets.

Yea, apparently she's super business savvy or whatever.
ThirdTerm wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqgQqTgbm0g

Naomi Osaka speaks only childish Japanese that she learned from her Japanese mother and she's also an American citizen currently living in Florida. The Japanese media reports her as the first Japanese Grand Slam champion and she's going to represent Japan at the Tokyo Olympics as a medal hope. As long as she keeps in touch with her Japanese roots, she can pass as a Japanese tennis player. Everything from her tennis shoes to racket is also ostensibly Japanese products, endorsed by Japanese companies.

Me thinks there was a Ubangi in the fuel source.

W. C. Fields
I can't help but wonder if Oath, the parent company of the Huffington Post is in a full panic about Serena Williams' brand's newfound toxicity.

The Huffington Post seems to be going way overboard in defense of her..

Here is some gobbledygook on the topic from some butthurt African American Huffington Post journalist.

HuffPost - The Whitewashing Of Naomi Osaka

They don’t know what to do with Naomi Osaka.

In a cartoon he drew for Australia’s Herald Sun on Sept. 10, illustrator Mark Knight depicts Serena Williams during the finals match at the U.S. Open Tennis Championships. It’s a classic racist caricature: Williams appears as a hulk-like figure with unkempt hair and large lips reminiscent of the minstrel or the mammy.

Behind Williams is her competitor, Naomi Osaka. Her appearance has been distilled down to its lowest-common-denominator characteristics: light skin, slim frame, blonde hair. She might as well be Maria Sharapova.

Caricatures, by their nature, are meant to distort and exaggerate. But they’re also meant to be symbolic, representative; short-hand for a concept or idea.

Here, the narrative is clear: Williams has been cast as the big, ugly, angry black woman. Osaka, by contrast, has been cast as the innocent white girl, even though she’s not even white.

It goes on, but the rest is a jumbled mess from someone who doesn't seem to understand satirical cartoons and who really needs an editor.
Rancid wrote:Yea, apparently she's super business savvy or whatever.

Dafuck's your point?

Yeah, it's good business for her to play the Japanese side.

But the Japanese are happy to own her.

We all know Japan is racist as fuck (I lived there for years and years).

But they are happy to claim her there. And not all Japanese are racist; but the hardcore racists there might have issues with the claiming her.

Is that your point; to live vicariously through the hardcore racists in Japan?

I think your problem is a little too much Doraemon, quite frankly.
Crantag wrote:

Dafuck's your point?

Yeah, it's good business for her to play the Japanese side.

But the Japanese are happy to own her.

We all know Japan is racist as fuck (I lived there for years and years).

But they are happy to claim her there. And not all Japanese are racist; but the hardcore racists there might have issues with the claiming her.

Is that your point; to live vicariously through the hardcore racists in Japan?

I think your problem is a little too much Doraemon, quite frankly.

The fuck are you talking about?

I was talking about Williams. :lol:

One dude said Williams sits on the board of some companies. I was just adding the comment that yes, apparently she's business savvy. I believe she owns a few companies and what not.

This has nothing to do with Japan.
Last edited by Rancid on 11 Sep 2018 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
I've never been interested in tennis, and don't plan to do so now.

But I just noticed she's half-black.

Well, she definitely can't be accepted in Japan. If she was half white on the other hand....

That's sarcasm.

Those who take that line are racist; Japan is racist too, but ado about this is sort of a racist mentality.

The Japanese will accept her.

But, it isn't the same as if a home-grown Japanese athlete reached the heights. But, that's sort of what everyone thinks, anyway, so what's the big deal.
Rancid wrote:The fuck are you talking about?

I was talking about Williams. :lol:

One dude said Williams sits on the board of some companies. I was just adding the comment that yes, apparently she's business savvy. I believe she owns a few companies and what not.

This has nothing to do with Japan.

Yeah, likely story bro.
Spoiler: show
Nah really, I mean that.

Sorry if it sounded sarcastic.

There seems to be no counter argument to the clai[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

If Hamas were to have built that tunnel, there wou[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/1773436787622[…]

PoFo would be a strange place for them to focus o[…]