Should Memes and Trolling be Considered Election Interference and/or Voter Suppression? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Should Memes and Trolling be Considered Election Interference or Voter Suppression?

Yes, memes and trolling can be election interference or voter suppression.
5%
No, they should never be considered these things.
76%
Depends.
14%
Other.
5%
@SolarCross :roll: See, like I said- we must draw a distinction between politics and entertainment. We've blurred the two, hence the absurdity. and like BJ said sardonically- No, but basement-dwellers/alt-right virgins should be euthanized for the greater good. And the peepee/green frog boys as well. The political arena shouldn't become a partisan comic book because it bolsters authoritarian sycophants.

You can expect a tyrant to exploit our misguided delusions.

Oxymandias wrote:Who even gives a shit? Why should it matter to you whether memes and trolling be thought of voting suppression?
Exactly, especially when larger issues loom. Like the question of cognitive liberty.
Last edited by RhetoricThug on 22 Oct 2018 17:10, edited 2 times in total.
RhetoricThug wrote:@SolarCross :roll: See, like I said- we must draw a distinction between politics and entertainment. We've blurred the two, hence the absurdity. and like BJ said sardonically No, but basement-dwellers/alt-right virgins should be euthanized for the greater good. And the peepee/green frog boys as well. The political arena shouldn't become a partisan comic book because it bolsters authoritarian sycophants.

Satire has been a thing since ancient times. If you can't laugh at your enemies then who can you laugh at? :?:
yourself. The best humor is those making fun of themselves. It is not funny for a white man to make fun of a black man, but it is funny as hell when either makes fun of themselves.
One Degree wrote:yourself. The best humor is those making fun of themselves. It is not funny for a white man to make fun of a black man, but it is funny as hell when they make fun of themselves.

Fair enough but self-humiliation is a social acceptance gambit, it is a way to display a lack of threatening ambition.
SolarCross wrote:Satire has been a thing since ancient times. If you can't laugh at your enemies then who can you laugh at? :?:
Here we go with the psychological splitting. I never said satire is a bad thing. It's the absurd level of satire and partisan rhetoric that is troublesome. Turn on CNN, you get partisan rhetoric. Turn on Fox news, partisan rhetoric. Turn on Youtube, you get armchair politics and a half-baked political analysis. And the underbelly of the internet is comprised of nihilistic post-modern masturbation circles. Is this not the balkanization of perception; when everyone is an alarmist and everything is exaggerated, inside of an echo chamber? Look here, even my critique is somewhat alarming. It's a vicious cycle my friend. What goes around comes around in the noosphere.
SolarCross wrote:Fair enough but self-humiliation is a social acceptance gambit, it is a way to display a lack of threatening ambition.

I have no idea what either of those phrases are suppose to mean. Apparently a generation gap, where I have not been conditioned to understand the vocabulary.
RhetoricThug wrote:Here we go with the psychological splitting. I never said satire is a bad thing. It's the absurd level of satire and partisan rhetoric that is troublesome. Turn on CNN, you get partisan rhetoric. Turn on Fox news, partisan rhetoric. Turn on Youtube, you get armchair politics and a half-baked political analysis. And the underbelly of the internet is comprised of nihilistic post-modern masturbation circles. Is this not the balkanization of perception; when everyone is an alarmist and everything is exaggerated, inside of an echo chamber? Look here, even my critique is somewhat alarming. It's a vicious cycle my friend. What goes around comes around in the noosphere.

It takes two to tango but it only takes one to start a war. Once a war starts all must engage. Wars are fun anyway, so it's all good.
Forum image SolarCross posted an insincere sentence
SolarCross wrote:Wars are fun anyway, so it's all good.
IS this a trigger mechanism, should RT get worked up now? :roll:
RhetoricThug wrote:Forum image SolarCross posted an insincere sentenceIS this a trigger mechanism, should RT get worked up now? :roll:

I meant that sincerely. There is literally nothing people love better than conflict, peace is nice for a rest in between wars but too much of it gets boring. Being bored is worse than death.
I find that people who glorify violence are usually the ones who have never been in a fight.

On topic, memes should definitely not be suppressed. It lets us know who is incapable of nuanced political discussion because they post funny little pictures instead.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I find that people who glorify violence are usually the ones who have never been in a fight.

Your petulent passive-aggressive pouting only proves my point. The term SJW has become a pejorative because of self-identifying Social Justice Warriors tend to be truly contemptible and ridiculous people but it is worth remembering that originally those people wore the term as a badge of honour so to speak. It's a misnomer of course because they are anti-social people and because they actively oppose the basics of justice but while they are landwhales and wimps and thus physically incapable of physical warring the "warrior" part is still sort of appropriate because they actively seek out conflict albiet only of a verbal kind. The SJW thrives on conflict and agitates for it incessantly.
SolarCross wrote:Your petulent passive-aggressive pouting only proves my point. The term SJW has become a pejorative because of self-identifying Social Justice Warriors tend to be truly contemptible and ridiculous people but it is worth remembering that originally those people wore the term as a badge of honour so to speak. It's a misnomer of course because they are anti-social people and because they actively oppose the basics of justice but while they are landwhales and wimps and thus physically incapable of physical warring the "warrior" part is still sort of appropriate because they actively seek out conflict albiet only of a verbal kind. The SJW thrives on conflict and agitates for it incessantly.

What does this have to do with me or with my observation about people who glorify violence?
@SolarCross

The first link comes from an article written in 2011 which is far beyond the time in which SJW has entered regular usage.

The second link describes an emerging type of peoples on the internet and both fails to understand it's origins and connotations as well as basic history.

Both are written by people who are disconnected from internet culture and write from an outsider perspective. This isn't proof at all.
Pants-of-dog wrote:What does this have to do with me or with my observation about people who glorify violence?

No one is glorifying violence in this thread, but you accuse anyway because you want a verbal conflict, this again proves my point, peace is boring. Even physical cowards can't abide too much peace so they initiate verbal conflicts if not physical ones.
SolarCross wrote:No one is glorifying violence in this thread, but you accuse anyway because you want a verbal conflict, this again proves my point, peace is boring. Even physical cowards can't abide too much peace so they initiate verbal conflicts if not physical ones.

Oh, I see.

You took it personally and now feel offended, which is why you are making these random comments.

Mexico, LoL, why would anyone nuke Mexico. Drlee[…]

Major General Harri Ohra-Aho on Russia's decision […]

Uh...there isn't an 'England gene'...if that is w[…]

Back on topic , here are my results . Care-85 […]