If the poor get poorer why do they have more stuff than ever before? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
B0ycey wrote:I do. Wealth.

I don’t know what that means. I have had a lot more money and things than I do now, but I don’t see much difference. What level of ‘wealth’ makes you not poor. It is basically a comparison with your neighbors. I can have the exact same ‘wealth’ and be rich in one community and poor in another.
B0ycey wrote:Poor is a comparable term. And it is measured by wealth not calorie intact - which is why nobody in America is truly poor as I am sure you have plenty of possessions.

Agree, except for maybe my possessions. Most of the things I have, I never wanted. Well meaning people saw how barren my apartment is and brought me stuff. For example, I do have a table and chairs which I have never used. I now have pots, pans, dishes, George Foreman grill etc., all of which I never wanted and don’t use.
I lived in a van motor home and was quite content. One plate, one cup, one frying pan and one set of utensils is all I need and use. By American standards, I am quite the minimalist. I do use the bed my son gave me. :)
One Degree wrote:Agree, except for maybe my possessions. Most of the things I have, I never wanted. Well meaning people saw how barren my apartment is and brought me stuff. For example, I do have a table and chairs which I have never used. I now have pots, pans, dishes, George Foreman grill etc., all of which I never wanted and don’t use.
I lived in a van motor home and was quite content. One plate, one cup, one frying pan and one set of utensils is all I need and use. By American standards, I am quite the minimalist. I do use the bed my son gave me. :)

Edit: I guess most people would be surprised my living room consists of 1 chair, TV, iPad, 1 lamp, and 1 end table. I don’t normally think about how little it is to others. :)
Pants-of-dog wrote:A far better criteria would be if they had enough wealth to significantly influence their society.

I don’t understand. They are quite capable of talking to others. What do you have in mind?
Pants-of-dog wrote:Paying lobbyists.

Funding think tanks.

Owning media outlets.

Better social capital.

Buying politicians through campaign contributions.

That’s what you think the poor need to be able to do to not be poor? If the poor can afford to do that, then who are they going to hire for the things you mentioned? :)
Wellsy wrote:What is poverty?

Meh, “having no real say in your own life’ seems to define poverty as something other than poverty to match a political agenda. I get what they are trying to say and kind of agree with the idea, but it is couched in too much political innuendo to have any real meaning imo.
Sivad wrote:Isn't that what you've been doing throughout this entire thread? You've basically been claiming people aren't poor if they have a phone and a tv. :knife:

I don’t recall saying that. It is obvious to me we don’t really know what it means. We just decide people who have less than us are poor and those who have more are rich. If I have basic necessities, I have no need to worry about having less than others so I don’t consider myself poor. What does it gain me? That is just buying into the myth I need more of ‘something’ to be content. I don’t.
One Degree wrote:That’s what you think the poor need to be able to do to not be poor? If the poor can afford to do that, then who are they going to hire for the things you mentioned? :)

You seem to have misunderstood.

Now, are we clear on how wealth allows people to make significant changes to their society? So rich people have more power than poor people?
Pants-of-dog wrote:You seem to have misunderstood.

Now, are we clear on how wealth allows people to make significant changes to their society? So rich people have more power than poor people?

Sure I understand that, but don’t consider it relevant to poverty.
I did not ask about your opinion.

Anyway, back on topic: the mere acquisition of goods is not enough to get rid of poverty. Unless you have the ability to use the goods to change your situation, the goods will not alleviate you poverty. To use a ridiculously clear example, imagine a person stranded on an island with several tons of pure gold. Having all that gold is useless, since it is of no use in terms of getting off the island or improving life on the island.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I did not ask about your opinion.

Anyway, back on topic: the mere acquisition of goods is not enough to get rid of poverty. Unless you have the ability to use the goods to change your situation, the goods will not alleviate you poverty. To use a ridiculously clear example, imagine a person stranded on an island with several tons of pure gold. Having all that gold is useless, since it is of no use in terms of getting off the island or improving life on the island.

Why are you giving your opinion when no one asked for it? :)
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Canada is a criminal country (a fake country buil[…]

Anomie: in societies or individuals, a conditi[…]

@FiveofSwords " black " Genetically[…]

That is interesting why do you think that is? It[…]