EU-BREXIT - Page 110 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Nonsense
demima wrote:The only alternative to the Tories in the UK is Labour, simple fact. So, either you vote Tory and continue with austerity and the destruction of our public services and increased spivvery, or Labour that will invest to grow and not punish the workers for the benefit of the rich.

If what you say was the ONLY thing that Labour promised to do at the next election then people would vote for them.

Unfortunately, there political agenda on immigration,gender,ethnics, foreign aid,political correctness, failure to deliver in full manifesto policies, discrimination against the old,poor or disabled, the last two groups who suffered under the last Labour government are what is likely to prevent them getting a working majority, not impossible, but unlikely IMHO.
By Beren
Still British PM Theresa May wrote:Now, over two-and-a-half years later, it’s time for us to come together, put the national interest first - and deliver on the referendum.

The problem is that putting the national interest first and delivering on the referendum are two different - or rather opposite - things, avoiding no-deal is in the national interest indeed, though.

The Guardian wrote:MPs will stop no-deal, Hammond tells business chiefs - report

The chancellor Philip Hammond has reportedly told business leaders that the “threat” of no-deal Brexit could be taken “off the table” in a number of days.

The Telegraph reported that Hammond said this could potentially lead to article 50 being rescinded – therefore extending the period of Britain’s membership of the EU, according to a leaked recording of a conference call.

When asked for assurances from the head of Tesco that the government would not oppose such a motion, Hammond apparently suggested that ministers may even back the plan. He went on to explain how a backbench bill could stymie the prospect of no deal.

The director general of the British Chambers of Commerce has tweeted:
By skinster
snapdragon wrote:Anyway, thanks for posting the above. I don't have a twitter account and I enjoyed reading some of the comments.

Corbyn's groupalso elite and he made it clear today he supports brexit. He also made it clear he won't listen to what Lab in the country wants. He clearly thinks they will vote Labour if a donkey stood as a candidate. He's an imposter, he's not speaking for working families

Bang on, mate....except I think he might listen in the end - as long as his wealthy mates let him.

This only shows how out of touch you are, snapdragon. At least the kids are alright over here. They'll get Corbyn in or someone like him, sooner or later, as centrism becomes more and more irrelevant.

The future looks a bit bright. :D

By layman
Business prefer even brexit to Corbyn. This is a guy who thinks it’s moderate to shake them down for 10 percent of their wealth off the bat.

I still wouldn’t put money on labour winning because the country ranks him so low As a prime minister. Even below may ffs.

It’s probanly not far off 50 50 and will depend on the campaign.
By snapdragon
skinster wrote:This only shows how out of touch you are, snapdragon. At least the kids are alright over here. They'll get Corbyn in or someone like him, sooner or later, as centrism becomes more and more irrelevant.

I'm very much in touch, thanks all the same. In a kind of roundabout way I won't go into, I sort of know his mate Andrew Murray.
As I said, it's understandable that young people today have been seduced by Corbyn;s potty, looney left ideas, but he doesn't have a monkey's chance of carrying most of them out, which is quite comforting.

The future looks a bit bright.

I hope so. Another referendum is looking more possible every day.
By Nonsense
Even though MP's have voted for 'No Deal' by voting voting against 'The Deal', it changes nothing about leaving on 29 March 2019.

The 'Deal' is dead & either MP's of one kind or another submit a motion to revoke that vote, in order to re-establish that deal (MAY's) or we really do leave without any deal.

By rejecting MAY's 'Deal', MP's have effectively destroyed any chance of the E.U engaging in any further discussions, because there is now NOTHING to discuss, that is the illogical outcome of rejecting MAY's 'Deal'.

Ratifying the deal in europe is a done deal, that's unilateral, it can only become bi-lateral, by the U.K parliament reinstating MAY's 'Deal', because there is no longer any 'Deal' in which to debate & for which the E.U will not change.

When all is said & done by MP's in parliament, the government can(possibly?) ratify the Treaty(Withdrawl Agreement) by declaring it as being 'exceptional' in circumstances, meaning in effect, that, because the 'Deal' is no longer subject to parliamentary procedures, either in part, or in whole, that the PM can now ratify it herself & submitting for Royal Assent directly to the Queen.

I think that is possible, because it is government business from here on & not parliamentary business.

In fact, it was Theresa MAY's biggest 'mistake' in allowing a 'meaningful' vote, which is now done, she has delivered that, but, must now decide to ratify the Treaty without parliamentary consent, there being no strictly defined meaning of 'exceptional' to hinder that action.

What actually constitutes 'exceptional' in terms of parliamentary convention in respect of procedures on legislation is highly debateable,as it is not explicitly stated under the exact circumstances that it can be used, though a Minister must lay a memorandum before the House when so doing explaining the reasons for so doing under the 2010 CRAG rules.
Last edited by Nonsense on 17 Jan 2019 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
By JohnRawls
Question to all of the UK members.

The question is if the UKs PM right now will unilateraly decide if an extension will happen or not? Or can the parliament prevent Hard Brexit on its own without the support of the PM and ministers?

As much as i understand, Parliament should be able to vote 1st to make a vote on the decision of extension and then do the vote itself to prevent hard Brexit/extension?

Would be nice to know how many labour MPs are located/elected in pro-Brexit counties?
By Nonsense
JohnRawls wrote:Question to all of the UK members.

The question is if the UKs PM right now will unilateraly decide if an extension will happen or not? Or can the parliament prevent Hard Brexit on its own without the support of the PM and ministers?

As much as i understand, Parliament should be able to vote 1st to make a vote on the decision of extension and then do the vote itself to prevent hard Brexit/extension?

Would be nice to know how many labour MPs are located/elected in pro-Brexit counties?

Nonsense -

MP's or the government can submit a resolution to vote to undertake further talks with the E.U, however, the decision to go for an 'extension' cannot be done unilaterally, it has to be agreed by ALL 27 E.U countries, it is entirely up to them & ONLY in very exceptional circumstances would they even consider it, yet alone agree to it unanimously.

There is an internal contradiction to the vote on the 'Deal' voted down, it doesn't in any way stop leaving on the 29 March 2019, all it does, is to stop 'BREXIT', which are the post-divorce political declaration arrangements on the U.K's future relations regarding trade etc with the E.U.

Under Article 50, there are a strict 2 years to the date(29 March 2019)when, thereafter, the U.K is no longer a member of the E.U & no further parliamentary action is required for that to happen as it is already law passed by parliament.

Voting by Constituency(2016 Referendum)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu_ ... ts/local/e
Last edited by Nonsense on 17 Jan 2019 15:55, edited 2 times in total.
By Londonbiker
JohnRawls wrote:Question to all of the UK members.

The EU have already stated an A50 ext would only be considered if further concessions from May are made.

HMG can submit a request however all MS have to agree or QMV.

A Clean Brexit (hard or other terminology) going into WTO is legal default as per A50 rules and criteria however Parliament (under CBI & FTA pressure) are avoiding it.

Neither a 2nd referendum or A50 ext is likely to happen in real terms, it’ll cause significant backlash, even Hardline remain Cabinet members have threatened to resign if no deal isn’t taken off the table, IMO they’re no loss so resignations are due anyway & if it’s remainers that are being obstinate then so be it.
By skinster
snapdragon wrote:I'm very much in touch, thanks all the same. In a kind of roundabout way I won't go into, I sort of know his mate Andrew Murray.

It doesn't sound like you are. You sound like the same complainers of the last three years since Corbyn's election to leadership. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. I think we're coming up to that fourth stage now. :D

As I said, it's understandable that young people today have been seduced by Corbyn;s potty, looney left ideas, but he doesn't have a monkey's chance of carrying most of them out, which is quite comforting.

I've seen both old and young at Corbyn rallies, he has a lot of popular support. I don't know any other politician in this country that has the same, or greater membership than Labour under Corbyn. Your ilk said he'd never be leader and he won the leadership of the party, they said it wouldn't happen a second time and it did, now we're being told more shit from people like you and hopefully the response is similar to the first few times.
By Londonbiker
Excuse the following tin hat thinking.

I’m reading & hearing on the grapevine that Leo might be addressing the breakdown & mechanism of the GFA, possibly trying to resolve outstanding issues linked to Brexit.

Unsure of the credibility but will monitor closely.
By JohnRawls
@Nonsense
@Londonbiker

You misunderstand the question. Who is going to present the proposition to the EU from the HMG side? And how will it be done from the UK side? I am well aware of the EU side process and i can tell with a certain level of probability what EU will say. (EU will say Yes by the way, almost 100%. Guy Verhovstadt and others although they want to say NO but they have no choice here in a sense that there is no benefit to the EU in saying NO. It causes both damage and also negative feeling from the UK people and elites. We still consider you friends although a slightly retarded friend)

So can May unilaterally refuse to extend Brexit by other cancelling article 50 or by asking for an extension? Can the MPs overrule here? As i understand the final say is still with the MPs whether she likes it or not. It has been the point of the recent vote also. Also if that Parlaiment has final say then to understand the odds a bit more, do you know how many labour members were elected in pro-remain constituencies?
By Nonsense
JohnRawls wrote:@Nonsense
@Londonbiker

You misunderstand the question. Who is going to present the proposition to the EU from the HMG side? And how will it be done from the UK side? I am well aware of the EU side process and i can tell with a certain level of probability what EU will say. (EU will say Yes by the way, almost 100%. Guy Verhovstadt and others although they want to say NO but they have no choice here in a sense that there is no benefit to the EU in saying NO. It causes both damage and also negative feeling from the UK people and elites. We still consider you friends although a slightly retarded friend)

So can May unilaterally refuse to extend Brexit by other cancelling article 50 or by asking for an extension? Can the MPs overrule here? As i understand the final say is still with the MPs whether she likes it or not. It has been the point of the recent vote also. Also if that Parlaiment has final say then to understand the odds a bit more, do you know how many labour members were elected in pro-remain constituencies?

Nonsense -

She can ask for an extension, she cannot demand one, unless there are very significant reasons to do so, they will not entertain it, because the 'agreement' has been concluded,cancelled out by the U.K parliament vote, which, in effect, means the 'BREXIT' deal is now defunct in totality, although, like a phoenix, could possibly be resurrected in parliament,it is signed by the E.U-U.K & in the EU is being ratified.

In any case, as I said before, the U.K parliament has REJECTED that agreement, therefore the proceedings are closed, as Douglas McArthur would say.

However, were the E.U alone decide to, on request from the U.K, subject to the reason's given, could blankly refuse(probably)or consider it, subject to the EU27 agreeing unanimously.

A case in Ireland brought by QC Jolyon Maugham,the ‘Dublin Case’, asked the European Court of Justice to answer this question(revoking Article 50 unilaterally-it has not been established whether the U.K can do this with the E.U's agreement, in any case, that would inolve an 'extension' & to complete the revocation, or a 'new' deal, BEFORE 29 March), the case was discontinued.

The approach would be from Theresa MAY, NOT our negotiator for the reasons above, although a request could be done through the normal channels(E.U Minister), as technically, we are still in the E.U until 29 March this year.

I agree, even those of us who voted to derail the Brussels 'gravy-train', still are pro-european, but thoroughly dislike the E.U 'constitution'(Lisbon Treaty), uncontrolled migration(not from indiginous europeans, but not 'third country' migration) & the remoteness of it's 'democracy' along with it's not fulfilling it's pre-ambit of increasing prosperity for ALL europeans.
I myself, have absolutely no problem with indiginous europeans coming here, enjoying identical rights as europeans, providing such 'rights' are universally reciprocal.

The E.U has now got it's own constitution, that's why people are called 'citizens' of it, it is no longer what it was before Lisbon, even though from the beginning, the aim was for 'ever closer union', abolition of vetoes has reduced sovereignty or power of each country, in favour of co-decision making etc.

To me, any mention of 'Third-Country', is like a 'red flag to a bull', we have to have borders, even a bloc like the E.U & it should be secure & water tight to economic migrants or fake 'refugees' seeking 'assylum'.
By Nonsense
Insulting comments from Polly TOYNBEE(another GUARDIAN columnist of the 'Left') over 'dead-'leavers', with not a 'tongue-in-cheek' either.

She is 72 wants another referendum so that 'young' people can have their say & way.

She fails to understand that, young people (of the Left)have been the most vocal post BREXIT vote to 'Remain', YET, the LOWEST turnout for the referendum vote was by YOUNG PEOPLE.

Where was she when 'brains' were created I wonder. :hmm: :moron:
By Londonbiker
Nonsense wrote:Insulting comments from Polly TOYNBEE(another GUARDIAN columnist of the 'Left') over 'dead-'leavers', with not a 'tongue-in-cheek' either.

She is 72 wants another referendum so that 'young' people can have their say & way.

She fails to understand that, young people (of the Left)have been the most vocal post BREXIT vote to 'Remain', YET, the LOWEST turnout for the referendum vote was by YOUNG PEOPLE.

Where was she when 'brains' were created I wonder. :hmm: :moron:
I see Polly is getting well deserved backlash on Twitter.
By Nonsense
B0ycey wrote:Image

At least he gave the people the freedom to vote on the issue, THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN UNDER A 'LABOUR' or LIBERAL GOVERNMENT.

Before being elected, CAMERON Sent a letter to Czech leader Vaclav Klaus encouraging him not to sign the Lisbon Treaty(GOOD), by so doing he offended Sarkozy, Merkel and Zapatero.

The European leaders understood that the letter signalled his future policy and reacted accordingly. Cameron's presumptive strike accelerated the predicted Tory-European split from post-election to pre-election in 2009.

His letter to the Czech leader incensed Sarkozy, who was overheard telling Gordon BROWN that they were incensed & which the French saw as an attempt to scupper the Lisbon Treaty(GOOD).

The German Chancellor, Angela MERKEL was also incensed at his behaviour, well, she & they would have been wouldn't they?

Why did CAMERON do the above?

Well, the Tories under his leadership, planned to abandon the pledge to hold a REFERENDUM on the LISBON TREATY.

That was because CAMERON was wanting the Czech's to do his dirty work(thus avoiding internal Tory Party divisions), by urging them
NOT to sign the LISBON TREATY.

It was understood that Cameron would drop his pledge to hold a referendum on the treaty on the
grounds that it was impossible to open a treaty that has entered EU law-REALLY!

A Tory government would instead focus on repatriating social and employment laws, in effect restoring the British opt-out
from the social chapter

The above explains the backdrop to the internal workings of the Tory schism over europe from 2009 onwards.

Some of the above is from intercepts of intel at european meetings from that period.

It illustrates the REAL Tory attitude towards europe & the E.U culminating in the current fiasco under Theresa MAY.

It's NOT the direction of travel that's wrong, it's the way that direction was being taken that matters, IMHO.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

He was "one of the good ones". Of cours[…]

Re: Why do Americans automatically side with Ukra[…]

Gaza is not under Israeli occupation. Telling […]

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]