The Trump Shut Down - Page 26 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Drlee
Are you being deliberately dense? Many federal workers are required to work without pay. There is no reason Congress should not be required to do the same.

Do you really think this matters? Oh well. You don't understand who is not working. The entire federal government is not shut down. Read about it.

@Drlee , I was not aware they passed it. Source? I haven’t seen it on what I view.

Let me give you an update on the news since you have been holding forth on this stuff without knowing the important stuff.

Read this article. It is not fake news. It is from The Hill:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/425414-mcconnell-blocks-house-bill-to-reopen-government-for-second-time

Then come back here and tell everyone that it really is McConnell and Trump who are blocking the reopening of the government. This is a fact.

Now my opinion. I do not believe that McConnell has the votes. The wall is unpopular with Americans. Now pay attention....

I am the Senate Majority leader and here is my calculus:

I want the government reopened. It is hurting me more than it is hurting the dems. Why? Because it is Trumps wall. That is how it is billed. And many of my Republican senators have doubled down on it because of local pressure. But here is the deal for me. The wall is an issue that some of my folks can run on UNTIL it is funded. Once that happens I know that Trump will declare victory at 5 billion and drop the issue. Bye bye campaign issue with their peeps. The wall is more valuable not built than it is being built. I have another problem too. I have quite a few senators who are looking at Orange County California dumping ALL of its republican congressmen and going democrat in a big way. They are scared shitless about supporting a wall which will just become a hammer with which their democrat opponents beat them. Unfinished. In court. People going around the little pieces of wall $5 billion buys. Cost overruns. In short. I don't have the votes to pass this thing. So what do I do? I let Trump take the heat? But at the end of the day, any way I play it, I don't have the votes to pass the bill. And even if I do pass it and make Trump veto it, then there is absolutely NO doubt which party is shutting down the government. None. No cover.

I feel sorry for McConnell. He has no way to win in this. He needs a distraction to make Trump drop this shit and let the pressure off. But that is not going to happen anytime soon. It sure looks like the end game is to pass the bill and hope he can get enough votes to override a presidential veto.

I live in a red state. If I was a republican senator I would sure rather face the music for overriding Trump's veto than for a prolonged shutdown. A shutdown that is, at least for the moment, the fault of the republican senate.
By XogGyux
Drlee wrote:She is absolutely right in this. Forcing workers to work without pay just so Trump can have his publicity event is unfair to them and the nation. The State of the Union speech is a monumental waste of money anyway. I imagine Trump is tired of staying in the White House. No doubt he is feeling the need for a golf fix.

Besides. Why not make it from the oval office? What is the harm?

And yes. She is far more courageous and politically savvy that he will ever be. And vastly smarter.

Agreed. I think this is a stroke of genius from her. She is playing mind games with this guy who has a brain the size of a nematode. I think the news are going in a wild goose chase after the "she lied the government cannot keep security around the capitol" and missing the bigger point which is Pelosi is sending the message that she sees this going for another 2 more weeks at least the same day the WH is admitting this shutdown is mighty expensive. Between this and a terrorist attack from ISIS basically refuting all the BS he has been talking up to this point, I can only imagine what must be going through his tiny brain. Even if this blows in her face, she does not have anything to lose, she has plenty of political capital at her disposition, she already agreed she will only serve 1 term as speaker so it's not like it is likely she needs more leverage and I don't think she is going to attempt going for president anyway at any point given she suffers from the same disease that Hillary Clinton suffered, being a competent accomplished politician with ovaries.

I am starting to think Democrats will end up passing a DACA + Wall in the house soon even though Trump has said no such deal would work but in that way they can call Trump's bluff by putting "the wall" on the table and pretending to cave. This is an awful situation for trump, because doing DACA is not going to be popular for his base or Fox news people :lol: so he cannot do that trade. At the end of the day, DACA for 5bill for wall, even 10bill for wall is not a bad deal. All that money won't be but a drop in the bucket, after repairing/renovating what already exists they will be lucky if they can do an additional 100-200miles lol :lol: . Last time the latest estimate for the wall was closer to 20bil and everyone knows you are supposed to multiply that number by at least 5x, case in point the F-35 raptor money pit hehe.
By Rancid
If this shutdown goes for a long time, could it flip voters away from Trump in the election? :?:

If yes, would it be a significant number of people to have him lose?

I think yes to the first, but no to the second. I just feel like this guy is make of teflon.
By Beren
Rancid wrote:If this shutdown goes for a long time, could it flip voters away from Trump in the election? :?:

I think yes to the first, but no to the second. I just feel like this guy is make of teflon.

As a matter of fact not that many voters should flip away from him to have him lose, in my opinion he's on a losing path right now.
By Hindsite
Rancid wrote:If this shutdown goes for a long time, could it flip voters away from Trump in the election? :?:

I believe the partial government shutdown will continue until at least Trump gives the State of the Union address.

He is. This is psychological warfare at it's best, and the Liberals still don't get it. They might after a while, but it'll be too late for them politically speaking.
Drlee wrote:I live in a red state.

... that just elected a bi-sexual Democrat that isn't exactly patriotic in the traditional sense. The Californians are coming. Say good bye to sanity.

Drlee wrote:If I was a republican senator I would sure rather face the music for overriding Trump's veto than for a prolonged shutdown. A shutdown that is, at least for the moment, the fault of the republican senate.

McConnell just gained a few seats in the Senate in spite of all the cheating. He doesn't face re-election for another 4 years. He's golden.

XogGyux wrote:She is playing mind games with this guy who has a brain the size of a nematode.

Aren't you billing yourself as some sort of a medical genius? The nervous system of a nematode isn't a centralized nervous system. It consists of four nerves that run the length of the nematode's body. You might want to revisit biology again.

That really depends on where voters would flip. If Trump lost every single Republican voter in California and New York, it would change the popular vote but it would not do a thing to the electoral college.

Rancid wrote:I think yes to the first, but no to the second. I just feel like this guy is make of teflon.

Well, it's not that. It's where he wins and loses that matters. Electorally, Trump's victory was something of an inside straight. To win, he'd still need to win a state like Michigan or Wisconsin. I think with a shutdown, he can essentially write off Virginia again, because Alexandria lives off of the taxpayer like a bunch of vampires. He'd lose Maryland anyway, so that doesn't matter. Again, he could lose every Republican voter in Maryland and it wouldn't make a nickel's worth of difference in the electoral college.

One Degree wrote:She is making the same mistake of not understanding ‘flyover America’.

Yes, but it will be awhile before she realizes her mistake. I think this one is just a function of time.
By XogGyux
blackjack21 wrote:
Aren't you billing yourself as some sort of a medical genius? The nervous system of a nematode isn't a centralized nervous system. It consists of four nerves that run the length of the nematode's body. You might want to revisit biology again.

You are right, sorry I was being too generous. He is closer to lettuce when it comes to intelligence. :lol:
By Stormsmith
@XogGyux

Re Even if this blows in her face, she does not have anything to lose, she has plenty of political capital at her disposition, she already agreed she will only serve 1 term as speaker so it's not like it is likely she needs more leverage and I don't think she is going to attempt going for president anyway at any point given she suffers from the same disease that Hillary Clinton suffered, being a competent accomplished politician with ovaries.

I've said this myself a couple of times: she's a brilliant whip and a great fund raiser. This is why the GOP maligned her, they're scared of her. What an excellent example of her warning to President Trump to not underestimate her. And his response, (Trump Is Reportedly Unhappy Over TV Coverage of the Shutdown: 'We Are Getting Crushed!' - nytimes.com/2019/01/16/us/politics/trump-shutdown-west-wing-shake-up.html) indicates he's starting to understand it. It must drive him nuts that a woman is mopping the floor with him :lol:

XogGyux wrote:You are right, sorry I was being too generous. He is closer to lettuce when it comes to intelligence. :lol:

Trump's brain has as many neurons as anyone's. It's just that in his case, the first is inhibitory.
By XogGyux
One Degree wrote:https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-denies-pelosi-aircraft-for-foreign-trip-in-response-to-call-for-state-of-the-union-delay

Trump responds to Pelosi’s pettiness by canceling the military aircraft for her overseas junket. He gave the same reason she gave.

I call your pettiness and I raise you 100 billion pettiness more. :lol:
We are in the end game now and it looks Pelosi is leading :lol: .
Her powers of manipulation and strategy are truly impressive. She continues to manage to expel further and further childish behavior from this bully. Guess what, her not going to that trip is not losing, it might actually be beneficial to her. Publicly losing a fight such as this, is exactly what people like her need in order to appear like a victim and gain sympathy from a frustrated public. The public is infuriated and they are blaming both sides, but guess what, when they see a bully like trump beating the crap out of the perceived "less powerful" Pelosi, they might have sympathy for her and see who the real petty bully is.
This is an awful miscalculation as well, letting her go and then halfway through her trip starting to make a big deal about leaving the goverment closed and doing a tour half the way away might have been far more political advantageous for him anyway (ultimately hypocrital, since he also did trips with the goverment shut down, but politically advantageous nonetheless) not to mention that rebuking these claims would have been far more difficult for Pelosi to do if she is all the way across the world.
So technically I think this is a win for Pelosi. She is able to expose the pettiness of Trump who would rather bring the government to a halt (e.g. the delegation was technically doing the trip as part of their job, which Trump is now preventing). Having the government shut down is not enough for him, he also wants our lawmakers to be unaware of intelligence information from our troops and allies (this guy really has a war against intellect xD).
So really, I think if Pelosi simply rides this one out she might ultimately come on top.
Now she could call his bluff and try to do the trip, or most of the trip on commercial. That would certainly show trump that Pelosi has bigger cojones. But the more I think it, I think being a victim here has its advantages and doing the trip anyways via commercial would give trumpster a reasonable opportunity to cry "look at them, having a vacation instead of working while the government is shut down". Which of course it is complete BS but his supporters will buy into that non-sense anyways.
We seem to have arrived at the end-game.
By One Degree
XogGyux wrote:I call your pettiness and I raise you 100 billion pettiness more. :lol:
We are in the end game now and it looks Pelosi is leading :lol: .
Her powers of manipulation and strategy are truly impressive. She continues to manage to expel further and further childish behavior from this bully. Guess what, her not going to that trip is not losing, it might actually be beneficial to her. Publicly losing a fight such as this, is exactly what people like her need in order to appear like a victim and gain sympathy from a frustrated public. The public is infuriated and they are blaming both sides, but guess what, when they see a bully like trump beating the crap out of the perceived "less powerful" Pelosi, they might have sympathy for her and see who the real petty bully is.
This is an awful miscalculation as well, letting her go and then halfway through her trip starting to make a big deal about leaving the goverment closed and doing a tour half the way away might have been far more political advantageous for him anyway (ultimately hypocrital, since he also did trips with the goverment shut down, but politically advantageous nonetheless) not to mention that rebuking these claims would have been far more difficult for Pelosi to do if she is all the way across the world.
So technically I think this is a win for Pelosi. She is able to expose the pettiness of Trump who would rather bring the government to a halt (e.g. the delegation was technically doing the trip as part of their job, which Trump is now preventing). Having the government shut down is not enough for him, he also wants our lawmakers to be unaware of intelligence information from our troops and allies (this guy really has a war against intellect xD).
So really, I think if Pelosi simply rides this one out she might ultimately come on top.
Now she could call his bluff and try to do the trip, or most of the trip on commercial. That would certainly show trump that Pelosi has bigger cojones. But the more I think it, I think being a victim here has its advantages and doing the trip anyways via commercial would give trumpster a reasonable opportunity to cry "look at them, having a vacation instead of working while the government is shut down". Which of course it is complete BS but his supporters will buy into that non-sense anyways.
We seem to have arrived at the end-game.

I think her (actually their) best option would be going commercial. Anything else doesn’t help them. The timing of cancelling the flight while they were on the bus on the tarmac is just too funny for most Americans. I can just see all those self important reps outraged and helpless to do anything about it. It was funny only because of her trying to postpone the state of the union. It was just payback, even though it is pathetic that is what our reps have become.
By XogGyux
One Degree wrote:I think her (actually their) best option would be going commercial. Anything else doesn’t help them. The timing of cancelling the flight while they were on the bus on the tarmac is just too funny for most Americans. I can just see all those self important reps outraged and helpless to do anything about it. It was funny only because of her trying to postpone the state of the union. It was just payback, even though it is pathetic that is what our reps have become.

I thought so at first as well. Maybe if she flies commercial she could flex her muscles and letting him know that "you cannot stop me". But the more I think it the worse it ends up being for her in terms of perception. I think pretending to lick her wounds is the winning strategy here. Appearing defeated, as a victim here and now works to her advantage and she really has not lost anything, its not like this trip was some kind of vacation that she was looking forward or anything, kind of sounds like a chore more than fun to be honest.

Ultimately I don't think Pelosi is playing Trump. I think she is playing Mitch McConnell.
By One Degree
XogGyux wrote:I thought so at first as well. Maybe if she flies commercial she could flex her muscles and letting him know that "you cannot stop me". But the more I think it the worse it ends up being for her in terms of perception. I think pretending to lick her wounds is the winning strategy here. Appearing defeated, as a victim here and now works to her advantage and she really has not lost anything, its not like this trip was some kind of vacation that she was looking forward or anything, kind of sounds like a chore more than fun to be honest.

Ultimately I don't think Pelosi is playing Trump. I think she is playing Mitch McConnell.

We will see. I am sure this won’t be the end of our daily comedy show. :)
By XogGyux
One Degree wrote:We will see. I am sure this won’t be the end of our daily comedy show. :)

I am certainly enjoying it. If for nothing else, at least Trump presidency has been entertaining. I never watched so much news before :lol: . To bad for the cost to our country and reputation but hey, who cares.
By One Degree
XogGyux wrote:I am certainly enjoying it. If for nothing else, at least Trump presidency has been entertaining. I never watched so much news before :lol: . To bad for the cost to our country and reputation but hey, who cares.

I am concerned about the direction of the country and the world, but I have seen too much to think any of this is of great significance. The reputation of our country isn’t really dependent upon any of this, and our economy can easily handle some ups and downs. We have survived much worse bad publicity and decisions.
By Hindsite
Trump makes sense to me. The pettiness seems to be with Pelosi and her attempt to prevent Trump from giving the State of the Union while refusing to negotiate with Trump to end the shutdown.

Trump Tells Pelosi Her Overseas Trip Postponed Due To Shutdown

In a letter to Pelosi on Thursday, Trump said the shutdown would have to delay her trip, which was to begin Thursday. "In light of the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay, I'm sure you would agree that postponing this public relations event is totally appropriate," he said.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Trump wanted Pelosi to stay in Washington to negotiate.

Trump's move to ground the speaker came after Pelosi threatened Trump's planned Jan. 29 State of the Union address, saying the shutdown raised concerns about whether the forum could have adequate security. Republicans said she was merely trying to deny the president the stage.
By One Degree
Hindsite wrote:Trump makes sense to me. The pettiness seems to be with Pelosi and her attempt to prevent Trump from giving the State of the Union while refusing to negotiate with Trump to end the shutdown.

Trump Tells Pelosi Her Overseas Trip Postponed Due To Shutdown

In a letter to Pelosi on Thursday, Trump said the shutdown would have to delay her trip, which was to begin Thursday. "In light of the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay, I'm sure you would agree that postponing this public relations event is totally appropriate," he said.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Trump wanted Pelosi to stay in Washington to negotiate.

Trump's move to ground the speaker came after Pelosi threatened Trump's planned Jan. 29 State of the Union address, saying the shutdown raised concerns about whether the forum could have adequate security. Republicans said she was merely trying to deny the president the stage.

The fact she lied about the security issue is confirmation of pettiness. She has no legitimate reason for postponing it.
By Godstud
Hindsite wrote:Trump Tells Pelosi Her Overseas Trip Postponed Due To Shutdown

Noemon Edit: Rule 2

Typical act of a traitor.
By One Degree
Drlee wrote:Do you really think this matters? Oh well. You don't understand who is not working. The entire federal government is not shut down. Read about it.

Let me give you an update on the news since you have been holding forth on this stuff without knowing the important stuff.

Read this article. It is not fake news. It is from The Hill:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/425414-mcconnell-blocks-house-bill-to-reopen-government-for-second-time

Then come back here and tell everyone that it really is McConnell and Trump who are blocking the reopening of the government. This is a fact.

Now my opinion. I do not believe that McConnell has the votes. The wall is unpopular with Americans. Now pay attention....

I am the Senate Majority leader and here is my calculus:

I want the government reopened. It is hurting me more than it is hurting the dems. Why? Because it is Trumps wall. That is how it is billed. And many of my Republican senators have doubled down on it because of local pressure. But here is the deal for me. The wall is an issue that some of my folks can run on UNTIL it is funded. Once that happens I know that Trump will declare victory at 5 billion and drop the issue. Bye bye campaign issue with their peeps. The wall is more valuable not built than it is being built. I have another problem too. I have quite a few senators who are looking at Orange County California dumping ALL of its republican congressmen and going democrat in a big way. They are scared shitless about supporting a wall which will just become a hammer with which their democrat opponents beat them. Unfinished. In court. People going around the little pieces of wall $5 billion buys. Cost overruns. In short. I don't have the votes to pass this thing. So what do I do? I let Trump take the heat? But at the end of the day, any way I play it, I don't have the votes to pass the bill. And even if I do pass it and make Trump veto it, then there is absolutely NO doubt which party is shutting down the government. None. No cover.

I feel sorry for McConnell. He has no way to win in this. He needs a distraction to make Trump drop this shit and let the pressure off. But that is not going to happen anytime soon. It sure looks like the end game is to pass the bill and hope he can get enough votes to override a presidential veto.

I live in a red state. If I was a republican senator I would sure rather face the music for overriding Trump's veto than for a prolonged shutdown. A shutdown that is, at least for the moment, the fault of the republican senate.

Ah, your tactic of never tagging me worked. I just accidentally saw this you posted yesterday. Lol
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would […]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]