Now reading - Page 172 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Wellsy
Been reading a few chapters into Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer from my mother in-laws book collection.

So far I don't feel all that impressed or intrigued especially because of the high praise from others at the front of the book. It makes it sound like one is meant to be struck by the divine from the holy bible itself or something. So far what I've gotten is crudeness with flowery language that doesn't give me much mental/emotional stimulation.
Just makes me think of a urbanite bohemeian wanker so far.

Thinking might instead read For Whom The Bell Tolls instead.
By Sivad
Wellsy wrote:
Thinking might instead read For Whom The Bell Tolls instead.

Can't go wrong with Hemingway. I've read all his stuff, Islands in the Stream is probably my favorite.
By Tigerlily
Any good recommendations for French books? (No classics, please)

My French reading comprehension is probably that of a teenager but I don't necessarily want to read any teen lit, unless it's super good. I can read French written for college educated adults but it takes me a while. That's why I'm saying no classics; too many words and concepts that are outdated and hard to find proper translations for. Classics tend to be very dry as well.

In English, I like reading lighthearted romance mystery novels, historical novels (especially about the Chinese Cultural Revolution, new immigrants coming to America, World War II, Korean War, etc). I also like more serious crime dramas/crime mysteries. I like female main characters and overall themes of coming of age, mother/daughter relationships, finding yourself.
By Pants-of-dog
Tigerlily wrote:Any good recommendations for French books? (No classics, please)

My French reading comprehension is probably that of a teenager but I don't necessarily want to read any teen lit, unless it's super good. I can read French written for college educated adults but it takes me a while. That's why I'm saying no classics; too many words and concepts that are outdated and hard to find proper translations for. Classics tend to be very dry as well.

In English, I like reading lighthearted romance mystery novels, historical novels (especially about the Chinese Cultural Revolution, new immigrants coming to America, World War II, Korean War, etc). I also like more serious crime dramas/crime mysteries. I like female main characters and overall themes of coming of age, mother/daughter relationships, finding yourself.

Volkswagon Blues.
By Wellsy
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel García Márquez
By Heisenberg
Just finished The Cretan Runner by George Psychoundakis, which I heartily recommend to everyone here.

Now, I'm reading The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. :)
By skinster
Last book I read was The Plot to Attack Iran by Dan Kavolik - very good explanation of everything you need to know about Iran, the lawyer who wrote it is a really good teacher. I got another book of his about U.S. policy/control around the world.

Just finishing up on Akala's first book, Natives. It's great, about Akala's experiences with race/class growing up in the U.K. It made me realize how little I knew about discrimination towards black people in the U.K., despite reading a lot on the same in the U.S.

Was going to start the other Kavolik book but I have to go back to working on a friend's book again, which is OK because he writes good content but it means I have to put off reading my own choice for a few weeks.
By Wellsy
Finished reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
By Potemkin
Wellsy wrote:Finished reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

So it goes....
By Sivad
I'm thinking about starting the audiobook of Blood Meridian but it's supposed to be pretty twisted and I don't know if I'm up for all that right now. I tried to do The Brothers Karamazov but the narrator has the most ridiculous English accent for a Rusian novel. It's ridiculous regardless but I can't imagine why they would give that guy Dostoevsky.

:knife:
By Potemkin
Sivad wrote:I'm thinking about starting the audiobook of Blood Meridian but it's supposed to be pretty twisted and I don't know if I'm up for all that right now. I tried to do The Brothers Karamazov but the narrator has the most ridiculous English accent for a Rusian novel. It's ridiculous regardless but I can't imagine why they would give that guy Dostoevsky.

:knife:

"I say, Ivan Fyodorovich, this borschch soup is simply spiffing! You simply must give me your cook's recipe!" :excited:
By Wellsy
Potemkin wrote:So it goes....

I haven’t a third example in mind to make it much of a trend for myself, but the repetition of that line seems to have made itself quite enjoyable to see.
Makes me wonder the significance of repetition in such works.
By Potemkin
Wellsy wrote:I haven’t a third example in mind to make it much of a trend for myself, but the repetition of that line seems to have made itself quite enjoyable to see.
Makes me wonder the significance of repetition in such works.

Repetition (with variations) is the basis of music and of poetry. Slaughterhouse Five is a deeply poetic work.
By skinster
Sivad wrote:Blood Meridian

I want to read this, I heard it's one of his best. I also heard a while ago that a film of it might be made, haven't heard anything since though.
By Sivad
Potemkin wrote:Slaughterhouse Five is a deeply poetic work.

I read that and most of Vonnegut's novels in 7th and 8th grade and I remember really enjoying his humorous absurdist resignation about the world but I don't really remember much about the plots or the characters.
By Sivad
skinster wrote:I want to read this, I heard it's one of his best. I also heard a while ago that a film of it might be made, haven't heard anything since though.

They say they can't translate it to film without ruining the work because it's too fucked up. :lol:

Helping Ukraine to defeat the Russian invasion an[…]

https://twitter.com/huwaidaarraf/status/1773389663[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

What wat0n is trying to distract from: https://tw[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/1773436787622[…]