Amazon's retreat from New York represents a turning point - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
noemon wrote:Actually mate, this reality we live in is the Matrix, yes. There are no shops, no Amazon, no Netflix, no Google, no Apple and no Microsoft, in fact there is nothing at all, this is all just a Matrix created by unicorns who harvest our nails and use them to file their horns.

Yeah and none of those companies are actual monopolies.
SolarCross wrote:Yeah and none of those companies are actual monopolies.

US Supreme Court:

US Supreme Court wrote:Market power and monopoly power are related but not the same. The Supreme Court has defined market power as "the ability to raise prices above those that would be charged in a competitive market,"(8) and monopoly power as "the power to control prices or exclude competition."(9)
SolarCross wrote:I am more of a libertarian than a nationalist. I generally do favour decentralisation when it comes to government, exactly because it discourages monopolistic crud and fosters competition which ultimately means choice.

In the past couple of days you have disavowed both Trump and nationalism. This coming from the same person who starts calling people traitors as soon as they mention Scottish and or Northern Irish independence. :lol: Thanks for the laugh, SC.

Keep up the libertard phase!
noemon wrote:In the past couple of days you have disavowed both Trump and nationalism. This coming from the same person who starts calling people traitors as soon as they mention Scottish and or Northern Irish independence. :lol: Thanks for the laugh, SC.

Keep up the libertard phase!

1. When did I ever come out as a trump supporter outside of your imagination?
2. When did I ever disavow trump outside of your imagination?
3. When did I ever claim to be a nationalist outside your imagination?
4. When did I ever disavow nationalism outside of your imagination?
5. Some people actually are traitors. Fabians for example.
Next SC question:

"Am I really here? Do you have any proof of my existence?"

SolarCross:

"If anti-trust laws are to be enabled in the UK, then clearly we should break up the UK too, just to be fair."

"Where was I nationalist, calling people traitors and agent provocateurs for the Scottish requesting a referendum?"

"Where did I disavow Trump?" :lol:

Libertardism I see is causing you massive system errors, so keep it up. It's golden.
noemon wrote:Next SC question:

"Am I really here? Do you have any proof of my existence?"

SolarCross:

"If anti-trust laws are to be enabled in the UK, then clearly we should break up the UK too, just to be fair."

"Where was I nationalist, calling people traitors and agent provocateurs for the Scottish requesting a referendum?"

"Where did I disavow Trump?" :lol:

Libertardism I see is causing you massive system errors, so keep it up. It's golden.

Same old noemon throwing out a bunch of ad hominem to distract from you having been shown to be wrong about everything. Not a gracious loser are you?
Last edited by SolarCross on 19 Feb 2019 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
SolarCross wrote:Same old noemon throwing out a a bunch of ad hominem to distract from you having been shown to be wrong about everything. Not a gracious loser are you?

Projecting I see, while denying all your own words. Hilarious system error once again. So you are the same person that calls people traitors for calling for a Scottish referendum(as per the democratic wishes of Scotland in Brexit) while in this thread you are claiming that the UK should be broken up if anti-trust legislation is to be enacted. So which one is it? Do you want to break up the UK as per your libertard ideology? Are you -by your own logic-, a traitor? Do you want policies that favour monopolies and oligopolies or policies that favour competition? Because among all these nonsense you have said, it is quite hard to discern anything consistent, especially when you are in Trump mode of denial, denying the very thing you wrote a minute ago.
noemon wrote:Projecting I see, while denying all your own words. Hilarious system error once again. So you are the same person that calls people traitors for calling for a Scottish referendum(as per the democratic wishes of Scotland in Brexit) while in this thread you are claiming that the UK should be broken up if anti-trust legislation is to be enacted. So which one is it?

We had nice little debate on everything from the low tide in the high street to whether or not big companies are monopolies and then you realised you were literally wrong on every single point but rather than man up you had to start slandering, actually misrepresenting me and go off-topic. Did you really think I wouldn't notice?
SolarCross wrote:We had nice little debate on everything from the low tide in the high street to whether or not big companies are monopolies and then you realised you were literally wrong on every single point but rather than man up you had to start slandering and actual misrepresenting me and go off-topic. Did you really think I wouldn't notice?

Did you really think I would not catch you on your hypocritical strawman when just a while ago you had called all those calling for a Scottish referendum "traitors", while in this thread you are pretending that you are all for a broken up United Kingdom? You claim that the US is also a monopoly implying that you are also for the dismantling of the USA as well. Of course that is unless someone else except for you says such a thing in which case they immediately become "traitors". :lol: If you are scared of your own words, perhaps you should be more careful of the non-sense you post. Despite getting caught, instead of manning up and correcting your positions, you think you are going to get away by trying to insult me instead with silly projections. You have not shown anything to be wrong, other than your own total ignorance on monopolies, oligopolies and competitive markets. You thought this is about internet versus high street, or about small vs large betraying your simplistic layman credentials.

I am asking you again:

Do you want policies that favour monopolies and oligopolies or policies that favour competition? Because among all these nonsense you have said, it is quite hard to discern anything consistent, especially when you are in Trump mode of denial, denying the very thing you wrote a minute ago.
Clearly, you are either too ignorant to answer the question and as such scared you will get caught being hypocritical again or you are frightened to answer the question because it will cause you various system errors in regards to your ideology.

You have not replied to this question at all before, the only thing you have said is: "if we have anti-trust legislation we should also apply it to our national government". This statement aside from being evidently hypocritical since you do not favour the breakup of the UK as we clearly saw from your earlier statement, it is also meaningless. Clearly you do not support anti-trust legislation and you are more than happy to promote(or permit) the formation of oligopolies and monopolies regardless of all that comes with them, saturation, lack of innovation, premium prices, lower quality, lack of customer service and effectively just another type of soviet communism but instead of the state running the monopolies, it is a handful of corporations in its stead.
Aside from celebrating your total ignorance of what a monopoly actually is(see definition already provided above), why would I reply to a strawman question that I have not claimed?

Regardless, I will try to explain a couple of things to you in the hope that you might actually get something out of this conversation. Microsoft and Apple can indeed both be monopolies by exercising monopolistic power in various products they offer, software, devices, servers, etcetera. Economists disagree on at what level of market share companies may start exercising monopolistic power with some saying that as soon as a company reaches 25% market share in any given territory it can then exercise such monopolistic power, others say 40%, others 50% others even more and others even less. But even before companies reach that level of monopolistic power, there is the issue of oligopolies, of very few companies controlling the market and them collectively pushing for monopolistic power in the market, the triad of Sainsburys, Asda and Tescos is in fact such a thing.
Monopoly

1530s, "exclusive control of a commodity or trade," from Latin monopolium, from Greek monopōlion "right of exclusive sale," from monos "single, alone" (from PIE root *men- (4) "small, isolated") + pōlein "to sell," from PIE root *pel- (4) "to sell."

Alternative form monopole (1540s, from the Old French form of the word) was common in 16c. Meaning "possession of anything to the exclusion of others" is by 1640s; sense of "a company or corporation which enjoys a monopoly" is by 1871. The popular board game, developed in its final version by Charles Darrow (1889-1967) and marketed by Parker Brothers, is from 1935, the year it was a craze. Monopoly money "unreal currency" is attested by 1959, in reference to the paper used in the game.

----

Just being big does not make you a monopoly.
I think it is quite evident that you are incapable of discerning the nuances between, monopoly, oligopoly, market power, monopolistic power, price discrimination, perfect competition, etcetera.

US Supreme Court wrote:Market power and monopoly power are related but not the same. The Supreme Court has defined market power as "the ability to raise prices above those that would be charged in a competitive market,"(8) and monopoly power as "the power to control prices or exclude competition."(9)

So0larCross wrote:Just being big does not make you a monopoly.

Indeed, it does not, nor was it claimed that it does.

You should read this again:

Economists disagree on at what level of market share companies may start exercising monopolistic power with some saying that as soon as a company reaches 25% market share in any given territory it can then exercise such monopolistic power, others say 40%, others 50% others even more and others even less. But even before companies reach that level of monopolistic power, there is the issue of oligopolies, of very few companies controlling the market and them collectively pushing for monopolistic power in the market, the triad of Sainsburys, Asda and Tescos is in fact such a thing.

The most important thing that you should take away is that Adam Smith's Invisible Hand can only function in a competitive market and not in either an oligopolistic or a monopolistic market.
Yeah by "monopoly" you don't mean single seller by legal right you just mean big. So why stop with apple or microsoft? How about Toyota, VW, Aldi, IBM, JPMorgan Chase, ExxonMobil, BP, Verizon Communications, Chevon, Walmat, Daimler, BMW Group, Comcast, Pfizer, Nestle, Intel, Seimens, Boeing, Honda Motor, Prudential, Walt Disney, Facebook, Deutsche Telecom, Alibaba, Ebay, Sony, British American Tobacco, AIA Group, Nissan Oil, United Technologies, PepsiCo, AIRBUS, Unilever, ANZ, Oracle, Rio Tinto, Zurich Insurance Group, EDF, Mitsubishi, Sanofi, American Express, Saudi Basic Industries, Home Depot, Kraft Heinz Company, Fiat Chrysler, Renault, Johnson & Johnson, Hitachi, Hyundai Motor, United Parcel Service, Fed Ex, Time Warner, Visa, Aviva, Union Pacific, Orange, Vodaphone, Nokia, Samsung, LG, Broadcom, Lockheed Martin, 3M, GlaxoSmithKline, E.on, Volvo Group, Target, McDonalds, HP, EXOR, Canon, Peugeot..... etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

My bet in your book a "monopoly" is only a "monopoly" if it is a big company vaguely associated with anglos. Not saying you are a bigot (because there are rules against that sort of thing) but I don't see you crying about any non-anglo companies.
SolarCross wrote:Yeah by "monopoly" you don't mean single seller by legal right you just mean big.

I mean exactly what I 've written several times:

A company having the market power to grant her "the ability to raise prices above those that would be charged in a competitive market,"(8) and/or the monopoly power to " to control prices or exclude competition."

You can put any anglo and non-anglo company that fits under these criteria and make up policies that would prevent them from disrupting the competitive environment of the market.

Your ad-hom about me being somehow bigoted against Anglos is cute enough to show me how frustrated you must be. :lol: Golden once again.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Friedrich Engels once said, “All that exists dese[…]

This is too verbose to excuse thinking teaching ho[…]

Let me guess, those were Hamas fighters like the o[…]

@FiveofSwords What a professor of biological […]