2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

____________Eastern Conference

1 Canadiens
8 Bruins

2 Penguins
7 Senators

3 Capitals
6 Flyers

4 Devils
5 Rangers

____________Western Conference

1 Red Wings
8 Predators

2 Sharks
7 Flames

3 Wild
6 Avalanche

4 Ducks
5 Stars

So we'll use the same format we always have here 1 point for picking a series winner and an extra point for predicting the number of games (@least IIRC).

So you can start posting your predictions once todays games are over.

Edit: Matchups updated. Hopefully people will get in.
By Gnote
Ahhh, good.

This season, the winners are incredibly hard to pick. Last season I was able to correctly pick the winner of every single series in Round 1. The Eastern Conference, especially, was quite cut and dried. This year I am much less certain, but here goes:

Eastern Conference

#1 Montreal vs. #8 Boston

As a Montreal fan and perpetual pessimist, this matchup is a recipe for disaster. The Canadiens have beaten Boston EIGHT TIMES this season (every game) and TWELVE times in a row dating back to last year. With that in mind, and on paper, Montreal is a clear favourite. However, things that seem so sure seldom ever are.

The Edges...

Offence - Montreal
Defence - Montreal
Goaltending - Montreal
Special Teams - Montreal
Coaching - Even

Montreal in 6 games.

#2 Pittsburgh vs. #7 Ottawa

The Ottawa Senators have, basically, been an embarassment to professional sports over the last ~4 months. After starting the season an unheard-of 15-2, there was talk of simply giving the Cup to the Senators at the half way point and calling it a day. Since then, they have been among the league's worst teams, and have dropped from a comfortable first place position, to a precarious 7th. The Penguins, however, have questions of their own, including their goaltender Mark-Andre Fleury, who has a history of crumbling when the game really matters. My gut tells me Ottawa has a better chance here than most people are giving them, but the injuries to Fisher and Alfredsson make it impossible for me to pick against Pittsburgh.

The Edges...

Offence - Pittsburgh (due to Ottawa's injuries)
Defence - Even
Goaltending - Pittsburgh (but it's questionable)
Special Teams - Pittsburgh
Coaching - Ottawa

Pittsburgh in 6 games.

#3 Washington vs. #6 Philadelphia

The Washington Capitals have been quite a story to finish out the season. What has been lost on many throughout their 9-1 run to finish the year is that the vast majority of those final games were played against Southeast Division (horrible) competition. This has resulted in an inflated record. Philadelphia, meanwhile, excels where the Capitals are weak - on defence. While most people are giving this one to Washington in a walk, I'm going with the upset.

The Edges...

Offence - Washington
Defence - Philadelphia
Goaltending - Washington
Special Teams - Philadelphia
Coaching - Washington

Philadelphia in 6 games.

#4 New Jersey vs. #5 New York Rangers

Bitter rivals square off in this one, and it might just be the most difficult series to predict. It will be physical and nasty, and it will be two of the East's best goaltenders matching up head to head. Whoever wins this series will have a real chance to take the Conference, but they'll have to do it without the advantage of home ice.

The Edges...

Offence - New York
Defence - New Jersey
Goaltending - New Jersey (Brodeur has the experience)
Special Teams - New York
Coaching - New Jersey

New York in 7 games.

My Round Two matchups, then, are as follows:

#1 Montreal vs. #6 Philadelphia
#2 Pittsburgh vs. #5 New York

Western Conference

#1 Detroit vs. #8 Nashville

To be honest, I'm disappointed that one of Vancouver or Edmonton didn't procure the 8th spot. Either of those teams would have given Detroit a serious run. As it stands, Nashville stands no chance. Despite Detroit's tendency to fail miserably in the Playoffs after a stellar regular season, I am behind them the whole way in this first round matchup. They should take Nashville with ease.

The Edges...

Offence - Detroit
Defence - Detroit
Goaltending - Nashville
Special Teams - Detroit
Coaching - Even

Detroit in 5 games.

#2 San Jose vs. #7 Calgary

The Sharks are on fire, and have been for the better part of the last 25 games, while the Flames are virtually backing into the Playoffs. This series is intriguing, as it gives San Jose a matchup it likely would have avoided if given the chance. It will probably be the nastiest series of the first round, given the physical disposition of these two, but I can't see the Flames pulling it out. Right now, the Sharks are my odds on favourite to win the whole show.

Offence - San Jose
Defence - Even
Goaltending - Even
Special Teams - San Jose
Coaching - Even

San Jose in 7 games.

#3 Minnesota vs. #6 Colorado

Generally speaking, I think people are giving Colorado too many props in this one. They've tried to reassemble their powerhouse from the late 90s and early 00s by acquiring Adam Foote and Peter Forsberg, but it's not the 90s anymore. I think this series will be horrifically boring and defensive, and that favours Minnesota completely. The Wild have the edge in defence, goaltending, and coaching.

The Edges...

Offence - Colorado
Defence - Minnesota
Goaltending - Minnesota
Special Teams - Minnesota
Coaching - Minnesota

Minnesota in 6 games.

#4 Anaheim vs. #5 Dallas

Prior to the trade deadline, I would have been very excited about this matchup. On the day of the deadline, Dallas made what many thought was an incredible deal when then acquired Brad Richards from Tampa Bay. As it turns out, that deal may have cost them their season, as they've sputtered pathetically to finish out the year. While there is always the chance that they could salvage, starting the Playoffs against the defending Stanley Cup Champions isn't the best of luck.

Offence - Anaheim
Defence - Anaheim
Goaltending - Dallas
Special Teams - Dallas
Coaching - Dallas

Anaheim in 7 games.

So my Round Two matchups are as follows:

#1 Detroit vs. #4 Anaheim
#2 San Jose vs. #3 Minnesota

And I'm pumped!
By Ideational Ontarian
I like your format.

#1 Montreal vs. #8 Boston

I don't really think this one is that tough. Montreal really should beat the Bruins, their offense is just way better. The only chance Boston has is to play extremely disciplined hockey because the Habs rely on their PP big time. That's way easier said than done though, especially in today's game. By the way, I don't think you can really say Price has the goaltending edge at all. Same save percentage.

The Edges...

Offence - Montreal
Defence - Even
Goaltending - Even
Special Teams - Montreal

Montreal in 6 games.

#2 Pittsburgh vs. #7 Ottawa

This has got to be the worst season in 11 straight years of Senators playoff berths. 15-2 was an NHL reccord start to the season and now the Sens are down to 7th pace - an utter disaster. Now, after that that bird cage wearing little bitch Bell's hits on Alfie and Fish, we're missing 2 of our top forwards. It's like sending a demoralized platoon into a decisive battle without its lieutenant or sargent. They don't have a chance.

The Edges...

Offence - Pittsburgh
Defence - Even
Goaltending - Pittsburgh
Special Teams - Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh in 5 games.

#3 Washington vs. #6 Philadelphia

I'm suprised Gnote picked Philly here. The Caps are totally on fire right now and that is always huge in pro sports, just look at the Giants this year in the NFL. Ovechkin is going to tear up the Playoffs. I'm feeling them for the East final this year.

The Edges...

Offence - Washington
Defence - Philadelphia
Goaltending - Washington
Special Teams - Philadelphia

Washington in 6 games.

#4 New Jersey vs. #5 New York Rangers

No idea about this one at all but I'm sure it'll go 7 games. I'm giving it to Jersey because they have home ice in game 7.

The Edges...

Offence - New York
Defence - New Jersey
Goaltending - New Jersey
Special Teams - New York

New Jersey in 7 games.

#1 Detroit vs. #8 Nashville

I would have like to have seen more Canadian teams make it in the West just out of national pride but I don't think any 8th seed will be taking down Detroit this year. Dan Ellis will win a game or two though. Where the hell did that guy come from anyway?

The Edges...

Offence - Detroit
Defence - Detroit
Goaltending - Nashville
Special Teams - Detroit

Detroit in 5 games.

#2 San Jose vs. #7 Calgary

I'm taking the big upset here. The Flames can easily match the Sharks toughness and physicality but I think Ingla is going to have the best Playoffs of his career. A 50 goal season is no joke with the defenses and goaltending so good these days.

Offence - San Jose
Defence - Even
Goaltending - Even
Special Teams - San Jose

Calgary in 7 games.

#3 Minnesota vs. #6 Colorado

I agree with Note here, the Wild are a better TEAM IMO. I really don't care about this series though. So on with it...

The Edges...

Offence - Colorado
Defence - Minnesota
Goaltending - Minnesota
Special Teams - Minnesota

Minnesota in 6 games.

#4 Anaheim vs. #5 Dallas

I hate the Ducks but I'll give them their due, they're a great team. Dallas has been dissapointing since the Deadline but I wouldn't write them off. Robiero has been great this season, they have good leadership, and Turco is still one of the best. There's more than one reason they call this the 2nd season. I'll take the slight upset out of sheer hatred.

Offence - Dallas (40 more goals for the Stars, logically cant go the other way)
Defence - Anaheim
Goaltending - Dallas
Special Teams - Dallas

Dallas in 7 games.
By Gnote
I give Montreal the edge in goaltending over Boston because Tim Thomas plays well despite his style, while Carey Price is the most technically competent goalie in the history of the world.

When a flopper like Thomas plays against a highly skilled offence, they get him moving around side to side, and he can only fluke so many saves. The Habs skate so well and move the puck around so well that he'll be way out of position all series.

Price is huge, and he is ridiculously efficient with his movements. He's almost never out of position, and he is positively unflappable, despite being just 20 years old.

My prediction for the series is that Chara will spend a whole pile of time in the penalty box. This will be a double whammy, since he's really the only thing they have that resembles a defenceman.
By Ideational Ontarian
When a flopper like Thomas plays against a highly skilled offence, they get him moving around side to side, and he can only fluke so many saves.

I think you're going a little far with that. You don't get .921 SV% over 57 games by fluking saves. We can argue styles all day but the stats don't lie. Goals against can be attributed to the D but Thomas stops the puck from going in the net, period.

My prediction for the series is that Chara will spend a whole pile of time in the penalty box. This will be a double whammy, since he's really the only thing they have that resembles a defenceman.

Boston only gave up 122 goals 5 on 5 all season, that's better than Montreal. Only a couple of teams gave up less goals during regular play.

You're right about Chara in the box though. As long as Montreal skates as well as they can, he'll take lots of penalties. Like I said before, the only problem they will have is if they cant get their PP on the ice. In fact, anyone that can be really disciplined has a decent shot at beating the Habs.
By Nets
Unfortunately I am not much of a Hockey Fan but I will be following the NJ/NY series closely.

Go Devils.
By Gnote
IO wrote:Thomas stops the puck from going in the net, period.

IO wrote:In fact, anyone that can be really disciplined has a decent shot at beating the Habs.

The problem is that they draw penalties because of how good they are. So teams get to make a choice: let the Habs skate all over them, or take penalties. When a team is more disciplined against them, the Habs are going to get more 5-5 chances, and more 5-5 goals.
By Oxymoron
I dont watch hockey but I will use the Oppie and Anthony approach:

1 Canadiens
8 Bruins

Well obviously from the get go you would say a Bear has an edge but those sneaky Canadians will use the fact that the Bruins just came out of Hybernation to launch a sneak attack and win.

2 Penguins
7 Senators

Senators wont know what hit them as take a corporate sponsered vacation the Penguins will attack the Senators while they frolick in the water.

3 Capitals
6 Flyers

Well the Capitals will make a executive order and ground all flyers.

4 Devils
5 Rangers

Obviously Walker Texas Ranger will throw the balance of power toward NY.

____________Western Conference

1 Red Wings
8 Predators

Predators will be Blitzed by Red Wings new signee Chris Hansen.

2 Sharks
7 Flames

Flames wont be no good under the sea.

3 Wild
6 Avalanche

Avalanche by sweep :D

4 Ducks
5 Stars

Ducks will be sucked into the Gravity Vortex and burned.
By Demosthenes
Well I'm not going to get all fancy and I'm not very good at predicting first round hockey (which is what makes it soooo damn good) but here goes:

Canadians vs. Bruins

Canadians in 5

Penguins vs. Senators

Pens in 6

Craps vs Fly-guys

Flyers in 5 (I'm a homie bastard and I don't care what anyone says about the craps being hot and blah, blah, blah...they come from a weak, weak, weak division, they'd be what? 8th? without the division winner automatic 3rd seed...Of course if the fly-guys win they won't beat either montreal or pittsburg, but this kinda finish ain't bad for the former worst team in the league of last year)

Devils vs. Rangers

As a Flyers fan it's extremely bad luck for me to pick against the Devils so I won't.

Devils in 7

WEST

(I'm not very good at picking the west, I just don't follow it as closely)

Dead Things vs Predators

Two things are constant in Hockey, The Dead Things will be upset somewhere before the finals and clutching and grabbing will never truly go away. But the first won't happen in this round at least.

Dead Things in 5

Sharks vs Flames

Sharks in 4

Wild vs. Avalanche

Wild in 6, that proves Colorado isn't nearly as complete as they once were, unless they also want to bring back Roy.

Duckies vs Stars

Ducks in 6

That's all I got for now except:

GO FLYERS!
By Ideational Ontarian
Sweet, thanks for coming in Demo.

Not enough hockey fans here at all which is weird cause we have a good amount of Canadians.
By Demosthenes
Yeah I know plus a few Northern Euros. But I guess we just have the uber-geeky non-sport canucks and euros and whatnot.

The fags. :p

I definately blame the Qball.
By Gnote
Series Updates:

Eastern Conference

(1) Montreal - 3
(8) Boston - 1

This series has been way too close for comfort for Canadiens fans. After utterly dominating the Bruins in a 4-1 Game 1 victory, the Habs have been pushed to the limit in the last three games. Carey Price has been predictably sensational. Tim Thomas has played well also, out-dueling Price in Game 3 to give the Bruins the win. The Canadiens offensive stars have struggled to put the puck in the net thus far, but veteran plumbers like Smolinksi and Kostopolous have stepped it up to fill in the void. The good news for Habs fans is that they're up three games to one in a series where they've yet to play even close to their best hockey. Habs can close out the series at home on Thursday.

(2) Pittsburgh - 3
(7) Ottawa - 0

Ottawa is even more pathetic than I thought they were. The Senators are playing like a bunch of spoiled rich kids waiting for summer holidays to start. The Penguins will finish them off tonight, and have a long break while they await their second round opponent.

(3) Washington - 1
(6) Philadelphia - 2

This series is the only one in the East that is playing out exactly as I thought it would. The one surprise is the shoddy goaltending in the series. If either of these teams was up against a servicable netminder, they'd likely be losing the series. As it stands, Christobal Huet has allow 11 goals in three games, while Martin Biron has been predictably weak. I expect that Philly will now close out this series in short order, and prepare for either Pittsburgh or Montreal (most likely the latter) in Round 2.

(4) New Jersey - 1
(5) New York - 2

The big surprise in this series is the poor play of Martin Brodeur who is arguably the best goaltender in NHL history. He has been positively lacklustre. The good news for Devils fans is that they're still in the series, and if Brodeur turns up his play, they have a good chance of rebounding. They can tie the series tonight at MSG.

Western Conference

(1) Detroit - 2
(8) Nashville - 1

This one has been a little closer than I thought it might be. Nashville pulled game three out of the fire, but also put up a strong performance in game two, which could have gone either way. I still think the Wings will win this one, but I think Nashville might get one more game than I originally predicted.

(2) San Jose - 2
(7) Calgary - 2

This and the Ducks/Stars series have been the surprise of the playoffs for some. While I predicted it would be very close, I thought that Calgary would be chasing San Jose, instead of the other way around. In Game 4 last night, the Flames managed just 10 shots on Nabokov - not nearly enough to compete with the Sharks. I have a feeling that Calgary may be out of gas, but I'll stick to my original prediction of Sharks in 7.

(3) Minnesota - 2
(6) Colorado - 2

This is the series in the West that has gone exactly as I'd expected. Most of the games have been tight, with the exception of Colorado's 5-1 victory in game four last night. I'm still comfortable with Minnesota's chances, but I think they'll need game 7 at home to take the series.

(4) Anaheim - 1
(5) Dallas - 2

Dallas opened the series with two shocking victories in Anaheim. I thought Dallas might up and sweep Anaheim, until last night when the Ducks woke up and soundly beat the Stars. I think Dallas has a decent chance of pulling off the upset, but a win in game 4 will be crucial. I can't see the Ducks faltering if they happen to tie the series up at 2.

So...would I change my predictions if I could?

As far as the outcome goes, the ones I would think about changing would be the Dallas/Anaheim series and the New York/New Jersey series, but both are still very much up in the air. So I'll stick with my original winners:

Montreal
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
New Jersey
Detroit
San Jose
Minnesota
Anaheim
By Kapanda
I came back to Pofo and there were hardly any football threads, so there are probably more hockey fans than football fans, so be merry!
By Ideational Ontarian
Holy shit that was an incredible game. Boston forces game 7 in Montreal.

I would be worried if I was a Habs fan. Price is looking beatable and Boston just doesn't quit.
By NYYS
The Bruins did good I take it? That's cool. What are their chances of winning it all?
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]