What matters in life - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
Rancid wrote:There's this anti-depressant ad going around on youtube now. Where it basically say's something about a symptom of depression is not wanting to do your laundry. Which, I'm sure it is, but come on....

Hmm...I thought not wanting to do laundry was a symptom of being a lazy bum. :hmm:
MistyTiger wrote:Hmm...I thought not wanting to do laundry was a symptom of being a lazy bum. :hmm:

Nowadays, you're not just a lazy bum, you're suffering from a "clinical depressive illness with schizoid tendencies", for which you require medication. Very, very expensive medication.... Lol. ;)
Rancid wrote:I need to get into the pharmaceuticals game.
Word! It's like Breaking Bad, but legal. Lol!
Hong Wu wrote:Image

Sounds pretty gay.
misterjakelee wrote:Yeah but heroins not performance enhancing like amph.

It's mood enhancing, it puts you in the best mood ever.

Might be able to get some when I'm dying from disease though.

Why wait till your dying of disease? That would just fuck up the high.
Sivad wrote:
It's mood enhancing, it puts you in the best mood ever.

Why wait till your dying of disease? That would just fuck up the high.
You make me want to do it now. Problem is you can't rely on opiates to make you feel good in the long run, but having diseases like cancer is a good excuse to use every day.
Saeko wrote:Your life was given to you so you could share it with others. :)

Yeah, in exactly the same way that a turkey shares its life with us at Thanksgiving. :)
misterjakelee wrote:You make me want to do it now. Problem is you can't rely on opiates to make you feel good in the long run, but having diseases like cancer is a good excuse to use every day.

If you're dying the long run isn't much of an issue but if you're looking for something more than a chemical euphoria you might want to try meditation or doing something decent like making amends for a past wrong or just doing a good turn for someone who really needs it.
By Sivad
It's not an either/or, you can get high and do something meaningful that you can really hold onto that will help sustain you when you enter that final chamber.
By Hong Wu
Potemkin wrote:Yeah, in exactly the same way that a turkey shares its life with us at Thanksgiving. :)

At least we say thank you. Some people are more concerned with whether they're polite about it ;)
By Potemkin
Hong Wu wrote:At least we say thank you. Some people are more concerned with whether they're polite about it ;)

You can get away with a lot just by being polite about it. Just look at the British - we ravaged the world for centuries with our Empire, slaughtering millions and destroying entire civilisations, and everyone now thinks we're harmless, decent chaps whose worst sin is drinking cups of tea and eating buttered crumpet. Lol!
By Wellsy
At present I sympthize with attempts to reform the Ancient Greek position within conditions of modernity which is tied to virtue ethics which asks what sort of person should I be rather than what should I do.

https://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/us/brenkert.htm
In this sense, Marx’s approach to morality is akin to that of the Greeks for whom the nature of virtue or human excellence was the central question of morality. In contrast to the more restricted notion of moral excellence as the fulfilment of moral duty, the Greeks wanted to know what kind of life is best suited for a human being. What kinds and range of activities are required for a person to lead a flourishing life? To lead such a life would be to lead the moral life par excellence.

This in itself doesn’t give an answer but a direction founded on ideas of what it means to be human and not just as we exist but to better ourselves and be our bests. Where virtue seems to get tied to internal goods of practices/projects which in themselves end up changing through the ages with challenges within and out.
SolarCross wrote:You have renounced the prog theory of history then?

There is no plan to history, just as there is no plan to evolution. Teleology, the explanation of phenomena in terms of the purpose they serve rather than of the cause by which they arise, is not part of Marxist historical analysis. I'm not defending Marxism with this statement, I'm merely stating historical materialism is explicitly non-teleological.
By Rich
Potemkin wrote:You can get away with a lot just by being polite about it. Just look at the British - we ravaged the world for centuries with our Empire, slaughtering millions and destroying entire civilisations, and everyone now thinks we're harmless, decent chaps whose worst sin is drinking cups of tea and eating buttered crumpet. Lol!

Not @Atlantis Potemkin. Not Atantis. He's very much sensitive to the ethical weak points of the British. Too sensitive some might say. ;)
By Atlantis
Rich wrote:Not @Atlantis Potemkin. Not Atantis. He's very much sensitive to the ethical weak points of the British. Too sensitive some might say. ;)

That's just my lot in life. Everybody misunderstands me. ;)

I can be as polite as a Brit, but I think the Brits have this secret masochistic bent. They like being spanked. :lol:

You should put the full quote I am of the o[…]

Muscovite’s Slaughter of Indigenous People in Alas[…]

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's prom[…]

No, it doesn't. The US also wants to see Hamas top[…]