Thai king Vajiralongkorn marries bodyguard making her queen - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
Thai king Vajiralongkorn marries bodyguard making her queen

The king of Thailand has married the deputy head of his personal security detail, and given her the title of queen, a royal statement said.

The surprise announcement comes before his elaborate coronation ceremonies begin on Saturday, when his position is consecrated.

King Maha Vajiralongkorn, 66, became the constitutional monarch after the death of his much-loved father in 2016.

He has been married and divorced three times before and has seven children.
A royal statement said: King Vajiralongkorn "has decided to promote General Suthida Vajiralongkorn Na Ayudhya, his royal consort, to become Queen Suthida and she will hold royal title and status as part of the royal family".

Queen Suthida is King Vajiralongkorn's long-term partner and has been seen with him in public for many years, though their relationship has never before been officially acknowledged.
Footage from the wedding ceremony was shown on Thai TV channels late Wednesday, showing other members of the royal family and palace advisers in attendance.

The king is seen pouring sacred water on the head of Queen Suthida. The couple then sign a marriage registry.

In 2014 Vajiralongkorn appointed Suthida Tidjai, a former flight attendant for Thai Airways, as the deputy commander of his bodyguard unit. He made her a full general in the army in December 2016.

The previous king, Bhumibol Adulyadej, ruled for 70 years, making him the longest-reigning monarch in the world when he died in 2016.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48129428

I will show this to my wife and ask her if she would lie down for me like that :)
It's his fourth wife.
He is 66, and still chucking :)
Ter wrote:I will show this to my wife and ask her if she would lie down for me like that :)
It's his fourth wife.
He is 66, and still chucking :)

What a wonderful progressive, egalitarian democracy Thailand is. What Liberal wouldn't choose to live there over a reactionary Patriarchal state like say Canada. Never mind an an out and out fascist country like the US. :) Thailand and its neighbour Myanmar really put us White people to shame when it comes to human rights.
Rugoz wrote:You mean this guy? I heard he's a joke. Then again having a leader devoid of ambition might actually be a good thing.

I’m sure there is a perfectly good explanation for photo. Right?
They met while Suthida was a stewardess aboard Thai Airways, where Vajiralongkorn served as a pilot. Probably she was Vajiralongkorn's first love but he has been barred from marrying a commoner. Suthida looked like Meghan Markle around 20 years ago when the photo was taken. Thai Airways damaged my checked baggage but at least they didn't lose it, which we normally expect from low-cost airlines.

Yeah, I'm in Maine. I have met Jimjam, but haven'[…]

No, you can't make that call without seeing the ev[…]

The people in the Synagogue, at Charlottesville, […]

@Deutschmania Not if the 70% are American and[…]