Another Explanation for Why the Left Can't Meme - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

When someone makes a joke, especially if it's at your expense, you have two choices: you can either find the comedy in it and laugh or you can get offended. We also know that the more we do something, the better we get at it. As such, if you are looking for the comedy in things you will get better at looking for the comedy in things and by extension you might also get better at making jokes. Similarly, if you are looking for reasons to get offended, particularly when it comes to a complex and occasionally contradictory ideology, you will actually get better at being offended.

That's right: being offended is a skill. A skill that some people go to great lengths to develop. And since most memes are also jokes, this explains why the left can't meme. The art of being offended has grown to such a degree of specialization that those who are masters in it often seem to have no room in their brains for contradictory skillsets; you can't normally see the comedy in something, laugh at it and be offended at the same time because they are polar opposite emotional and social responses. The more you laugh, the less serious you being offended appears to be and therefore no one really does that. It's one or the other.

We all know which kinds of people have been gravitating towards which ends of the political spectrum. It's true that teams of writers with a lot of time on their hands can still make the late night clowns seem funny even though they are leftists but the average western liberal today is about as humorous as a medieval nun, with none of the good qualities. Sad!
Hong Wu wrote:When someone makes a joke, especially if it's at your expense, you have two choices: you can either find the comedy in it and laugh or you can get offended.

There's not only two options, you can bust back on them, you can just ignore them, you can blast them in the face, you can even kill their parents turn them into chili and serve it to them at a chili cook-off you staged as part your elaborate revenge scheme.
Sivad wrote: you can even kill their parents turn them into chili and serve it to them at a chili cook-off you staged as part your elaborate revenge scheme.

WTF? :lol: :eh:

This sounds like the discussion between Robin Williams and Peter O Toole in Club Paradise.

Start it at about 50 seconds in if you wish to cut to the convo, but the whole scene is golden.

Victoribus Spolia wrote:WTF? :lol: :eh:

This sounds like the discussion between Robin Williams and Peter O Toole in Club Paradise.

Start it at about 50 seconds in if you wish to cut to the convo, but the whole scene is golden.

I think it's a reference to a South Park episode.

@Sivad I guess there are more than two options but you know what I mean :)

One of the points I would like to get across here is that being offended is a practicable mental skill for leftists at this point, which I think says something about them since being offended is normally closer to an involuntary response.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I would like to know why so few people on the right can make verifiable claims and then support them with logic and evidence.

Please provide statistical evidence to support this claim.

Thanks.

:lol: 8)
Pants-of-dog wrote:Feel free to dismiss it.

Will do.

Which is appropriate for anecdotal arguments.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Please note that you have yet to provide a verifiable claim and support it.

So no evidence then?

I guess there is no reason to believe your claim that:
Pants-of-dog wrote:few people on the right can make verifiable claims and then support them with logic and evidence.

This claim requires proof. You have given NONE.

Also note that I am using logic right now and you are not; which contradicts your anecdotal claims anyway. :lol:
Pants-of-dog wrote:Then please provide support for the argument that the keft cannot meme. Thanks.

Did I defend that claim in the this thread?

If not, then why would I defend an argument I did not make?

I am only asking you to provide evidence for your claim that:

Pants-of-dog wrote:few people on the right can make verifiable claims and then support them with logic and evidence.

Do you have evidence for this? Or are you going to keep trying to switch the burden of proof?

After all, you made claims, I made none.

The burden of proof is on you to support your claims.

@Puffer Fish The Mayor of Brussels did them a […]

a good point here, i am sure we all agree on thi[…]

Sure, the advocates of fascism (or wholism as I p[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Saw an article about this story earlier in the mo[…]