If time travel were possible would you go to the past or the future? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

If time travel were possible would you go to the past or the future?

To the past
45%
To the future
45%
Other
9%
Rugoz wrote:Why would anyone choose the past? People are depressing. I would go a million years into the future.

The poll was asking brits. The past was FUCKING AMAZING for Brits, we used to be the most advanced nation on earth and the centre of a globe spanning empire. At present the rot is palpable and doesn't particularly look like it will get better in the future. In the future we can expect teaspoons to be illegal, hot water to be illegal and consequently a nice cuppa tea to be illegal and all because a bunch of Mohammedans who really don't belong here can't resist the urge to go on kiddly fiddly sprees with the able assistance of our own bobbies on the beat. Honestly I blame those creepy fabians for our decline into madness, may they all be purged.
Godstud wrote:@Ter You'd be burned as a witch!! :lol:

On the contrary.
I would be able to stop epidemics because I know the way cholera and bubonic plague are transmitted. And malaria, and so many other diseases.
With my antibiotics, I would be able to cure some rich pricks and become incredibly rich myself.
There I will be, surrounded by young nubile and beautiful people who will obey me whilst I will be served delicious food and drink to my heart's content.
What's not to like about that ?
:excited:
Rugoz wrote:Why would anyone choose the past? People are depressing. I would go a million years into the future.

I guess it depends on whether you'd go as an observer only and whether you can come back. After all, an asteroid could have hit earth in the meantime and wiped us all out. Then you'd end up in a wasteland or possibly die on the spot when you arrive.
Ter wrote:That would be a frightening experience.
How fast can you run ?

I'm assuming I can establish the rules, so I'll be able to observe them without them noticing me and I can come back anytime.

Otherwise you are right that it seems a bit risky and I might have to reconsider my choice.
To the future

Once upon a time I may have said the past but I am starting to realise that nostalgia will not help us much except to try and recreate that past which is now gone. I would love to travel to the 2070s and see what became of Europe and the wider West in general.

If I live to see it then time travel will not be a necessity.
Political Interest wrote:To the future

Once upon a time I may have said the past but I am starting to realise that nostalgia will not help us much except to try and recreate that past which is now gone. I would love to travel to the 2070s and see what became of Europe and the wider West in general.

If I live to see it then time travel will not be a necessity.

PI, you need to be a bit more ambitious. As you say, you'll probably live to see it anyway. Make it 2150 at least.
1. 10 years back in past, just to tell past me some info regarding, betting market, share market, cryptocurrency etc.

2. Go to 10 years in future, come back and start predicting things that will come true and thus armed with this knowledge and money from point 1, start a cult, get hundreds of thousands of loyal followers.

3. Hold the world hostage, if anyone will not do as told I will fuck up their lives by going back in past.

4. Now I am Lord Protector of the World.

In my opinion, masculinity has declined for all o[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So have people given up on blaming that terrorist […]

@ingliz good to know, so why have double standar[…]

...Or maybe because there are many witnesses sayin[…]