Tiananmen Square Massacre.... 30 Years - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Japan to Turkmenistan to New Zealand.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Next Month's anniversary is a big one.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/04/28/l ... re-safety/

CCP are still bastards and always will be.

Renting Protestors in HK, the only place the anniversary can and will be commemorated in China.

I was there last year myself. Beautiful place, terrible history.

Actual Full Tank Man Photo:

Makes his "fuck you" stand look even more epic.
colliric wrote:Next Month's anniversary is a big one.

Renting Protestors in HK, the only place the anniversary can and will be commemorated in China.

Actual Full Tank Man Photo:

Makes his "fuck you" stand look even more epic.

Is it a warning against protesting?
Leica, probably without intending to, ignited a shit storm in Chinese social media by using the "tank man" image from the Tienanmen massacre in one of its promotional videos. There were immediate calls for banning Leica products in China. The problem for China is that if Leica can be banned for political reasons, so can Huawei, which also uses Leica products. That wouldn't sit well with Chinese industrial strategy.

The Tienanmen massacre will haunt future generations of Chinese until they decide to openly face what happened 30 years ago.

Karma is a bitch.
Could there ever be another Tiananmen Square ‘incident’? Or is that just what life is like every day in modern China?
The father of Alysa Liu, the 13-year-old who became the youngest figure skater ever to win the U.S. Women's Figure Skating championship, was a student activist during the Tiananmen massacre and he emigrated to the United States as a refugee from Hong Kong. Arthur also appears in the latter half of the video, being a proud father.

In May 1989, 3,000 Beijing University students staged a hunger strike and sit-in at Tiananmen Square, the symbolic center of China, demanding freedom for dissidents and an end to corruption. Arthur organized parallel demonstrations in Guangzhou, with plans spreading by word of mouth across several campuses. Around midnight on June 3 he tuned his radio to a Hong Kong station, the only one he could trust for uncensored news. What he heard that night alarmed him. The government had instituted martial law and the military had attacked the protesters. When the bloodbath was over, witnesses reported more than 700 dead.

Arthur was incensed. “How could you open fire at your own students?” Many of his classmates felt just as strongly, and they mobilized in protest to barricade all five of Guangzhou’s crucial bridges. Arthur and at least a thousand other students blocked traffic at the Haizhu Bridge for two days.

Shortly thereafter, he learned from the news that he was one of the government’s most-wanted students. Friends helped smuggle him by boat to Hong Kong, where he stayed for about five months awaiting a relocation assignment from the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. Originally he was destined for France. Then the U.S. opened its doors to student refugees from China.

He arrived in Oakland at age 25 and found work as a busboy at King Tsin restaurant in Berkeley, saving up money to continue his education. Because of his background in political activism, a friend recommended he attend law school. Arthur took his advice; he still wanted to return to China to spread democracy. In 1998 he earned a law degree from Hastings College of Law, at the University of California, and he has operated a general practice in Oakland ever since.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-42465516

The UK secretly believed from their intelligence that the death toll was massive, actually numbering nearly 10,000 people.

The square can hold a million or more people. I would say having been there myself maybe a million and a half. The 3000 was only the figures at the start of the protest. It swelled to alot more than that.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-03/ ... fmredir=sm

I don't believe the original estimates. The espionage community knows the death toll was much higher. I think they were concerned about the diplomatic situation so did not report what the actual figures were.

1995 Documentary "The Gate Of Heavenly Peace". English version. A comprehensive 3-hour doco.
Such incidents give iron-concrete proof that non-interventionism is utter bullshit. If the West continues to refrain from intervention (preferrably military), sooner or later it's their own asses which will be owned by power-hungry Chinese.
colliric wrote:https://youtu.be/6-zn_yNGdQo

I remember watching this speech on television back in the day.

Unfortunately there's not enough action.

The question I have been asking for more than a decade is: Why the Chinese (government) haven't got their just desserts yet?
@colliric
@Zionist Nationalist

corlliric wrote:Next Month's anniversary is a big one.

I was alive when Tiananmen Square happened. Watched it on TV. Yup! The communists are real bastards or any dictatorship for that matter. The people that committed this massacre is the kind of people Trump admires and wants to be. The only way the communists in China stay in power is ultimately through force, lies, squashing freedom and providing some level of economic prosperity to their people so they don't rebel. Thank you for sharing colliric. CNN wrote an excellent article on Tiananmen Square:

Ben Westcott of CNN wrote:Then a 29-year-old factory worker, Dong was given a suspended death sentence on arson charges and spent 17 years in prison. It changed his family forever -- his father died and his wife divorced him while he was in jail. Dong's son was just three years old when his father went away.

But despite the impact it had on their lives, Dong has never discussed what happened in Tiananmen Square on June 4, 1989, with his son, now aged 33.
The brutal massacre of hundreds, if not thousands, of protesting citizens, workers and students in Beijing shocked the world. For China, it marked a turning point away from the prospect of greater freedom and towards authoritarian oppression.

But Dong would prefer to have his son think he is just a regular criminal, at least in the current political climate in China, than be potentially put in danger by learning of his father's political past.

"It is for his safety," Dong said. "I worry that I might influence his thoughts if I started chatting to him about those things."
Other former political prisoners have expressed concerns about talking to their children about the massacre, for fear of putting them at risk.

Fellow Tienanmen survivor Fang Zheng, 53, said he doesn't blame Dong, and other former activists, who want to shield their children from politics. Fang, who lost both his legs in the massacre, blames the ruling Communist Party.
"That's the fear and horror that the regime has brought to everybody," he said.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/02/asia ... index.html

Imagine that colliric, having to lie to your own children about how brave you were at Tiannemen Square and tell them you were just a common criminal and never tell them the truth of the bravery and principles you were fighting for at Tiannemen Square. To be forced to make your children live a lie and your children don't even know it and it's not your fault that they have to live a lie and yet you know the truth. Imagine that. Crazy man!
Enough shit talk. You can bash Trump if you like, or maybe he really deserves whatever you think, but why it's him of all people who's making CCP getting what they deserve, not you?

Similarly, why it had to be Stalin who effectively made sure that the Nazis were brought to justice?

Sometimes I can't help but think being good and just is a facade of incompetence.

No, ethnicity is cultural. Race is biological. A […]

Again, this is not some sort of weird therapy w[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake […]

Ukraine already has cruise missiles (Storm Shadow)[…]