Up to one in TEN Britons 'don't know who their real father is' - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
Up to one in TEN Britons 'don't know who their real father is': Health boss reveals shocking statistic from DNA tests for hereditary illness- and doctors DON'T reveal truth to patients

Genetic tests are revealing one-in-10 people in the UK have a different father
Ian Cumming, chief executive of Health Education England, exposed the finding
Families currently are not told if a child has a different father

Genetic tests carried out by medical professionals are revealing that up to one-in-10 people in the UK don’t have the father they think, a top health boss has revealed.

Ian Cumming, Chief executive of Health Education England, said that the situation is raising a number of difficult questions for the health services.

The Chairman of the NHS Leadership Board for England also explained that people are not currently told if genetic tests within families highlight a case of paternal discrepancy as it was simply an ‘incidental finding’ of the procedure.

But, with whole genome sequencing likely to be widely available in the next 10 years, he said it was a 'moral quandry' that needed solving.

Speaking at Hay Festival in Hay-on-Wye, Wales, he said: ‘The other issue which, this is a true figure out of Manchester University, if you look at people that have had genetic tests within families for reasons other than trying to work out paternity, for one-in-10 people your dad isn’t who you think it is.

‘Now, at the moment this is an incidental finding of genetic tests, we don’t tell people because it’s an uncertain finding.

‘Are we going to tell people “that’s not your dad” or are we going to keep that information to ourselves within the health service?

‘I don’t think that would be acceptable ethically in this country.’

Research released in 2005 looked at paternal discrepancy – when a child is identified as being biologically fathered by someone other than the man who believes he is the father.

Rates varied between studies carried out from 0.8 per cent to 30 per cent.

It also found that those who conceive younger, live in deprivation, or are in long term relationships - rather than marriages, or in certain cultural groups - were at a higher risk of having a child with paternal discrepancy.

At the time the study warned that increasing paternity testing and use of DNA techniques in clinical and judicial procedures meant more cases were likely to be identified.

The issue was raised during a discussion about long-term changes the NHS must make to keep up with a changing society.

Professor Cumming said one thing that needed to be considered was the increasing demand for and ability to carry out whole genome sequencing.

While it allows the ability to warn people they have a genetically increased risk of developing certain illness, such as breast cancer, it also raises moral questions about when and whether to tell patients.

He explained: ‘Within the next 10 years we will probably be whole genome sequencing 100 per cent of the population who wish to be sequenced.

‘That will start giving us all sorts of information about probability of people developing particular conditions, particular diseases.

‘It will allow us to predict when they may happen. It may in cases allow preventative actions to be taken.

‘Certainly it will allow individuals to be kept a closer eye on.

‘But it is not without controversy, if we are able to predict someone has an increased chance of developing breast cancer when do you tell them?

‘Do you tell their parents when they’re born? Do you tell them when they’re 12, 14, 16, 18?

‘Do people want to know? There’s a whole host of complexity around the ethics of this.’

The NHS may carry out genetic tests to diagnose a condition, establish whether someone is likely to develop one or determine if they carry a genetic mutation.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nk-do.html

More men should test the DNA of their "children".
Trust but verify.
Sivad wrote:Is that true? How do they justify it?

It is true.
One justification I heard is that if a divorced father can prove the child is not biologically his, he would not be required to pay for the upbringing of the bastard. In that case, the responsibility would fall on the State. It would also deprive the unfaithful wife of that income.

France:
Private DNA paternity testing is illegal, including through laboratories in other countries, and is punishable by up to a year in prison and a €15,000 fine.[20] The French Council of State has described the law's purpose as upholding the "French regime of filiation" and preserving "the peace of families."[21]

Germany
Under the Gene Diagnostics Act of 2009, secret paternity testing is illegal. Any paternity testing must be conducted by a licensed physician or by an expert with a university degree in science and special education in parentage testing, and the laboratory carrying out genetic testing must be accredited according to ISO/IEC 17025. Full informed consent of both parents is required

United Kingdom
In the United Kingdom, there were no restrictions on paternity tests until the Human Tissue Act 2004 came into force in September 2006. Section 45 states that it is an offence to possess without appropriate consent any human bodily material with the intent of analysing its DNA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_paternity_testing
Ter wrote:It is true.
One justification I heard is that if a divorced father can prove the child is not biologically his, he would not be required to pay for the upbringing of the bastard. In that case, the responsibility would fall on the State. It would also deprive the unfaithful wife of that income.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_paternity_testing

Well that's totally outrageous. The state figures it can just conscript any guy the mother names into fatherhood :knife:
snapdragon wrote:No, it isn't true. Ter is wrong as usual.

Me? Wrong ? As usual ?
:lol:

Even if a man disputes paternity, if he has been named by the mother as the father of her child, he will have to pay child maintenance until DNA testing proves otherwise. In all these cases, a mother may refuse a paternity DNA test.

https://www.alphabiolabs.ie/learning-ce ... nity-test/

But the days of taking a paternity DNA test without consent have ended. In the UK, the 2006 Human Tissue Act means you cannot take or test a person's DNA without proper consent. The Human Tissue Act means it is illegal to: Take, store or use human tissue without consent.

https://www.ibdna.com/you-need-consent/

@snapdragon you can say it isn't true till you are blue in the face, but in many countries, as I posted, with evidence, it is not allowed without the consent of the mother and/or the family court.
I never go blue in the face, so I can repeat it as many times as necessary.

It isn't true that only the mother can agree to a DNA test.

You are wrong ( yes, as usual)

Anyone who can prove parental responsibilities can order a DNA test.

I see you've moved the goal posts from your original assertion.

The reason it sometimes needs a judge to order a DNA test is to protect the child.

In the case of a man refusing to accept responsibility for the maintenance of the child, for example, by claiming he's not the father.

Or in the case of the mother refusing to accept the man is the father of her child.
snapdragon wrote:It isn't true that only the mother can agree to a DNA test.

That is a very ambivalent statement.
Are you saying that the "father" can have his children DNA tested for paternity without agreement by the mother?

That flies in the face of what I quoted earlier"

article quoted by Ter wrote: Even if a man disputes paternity, if he has been named by the mother as the father of her child, he will have to pay child maintenance until DNA testing proves otherwise. In all these cases, a mother may refuse a paternity DNA test.
https://www.alphabiolabs.ie/learning-ce ... nity-test/

and

article quoted by Ter wrote: But the days of taking a paternity DNA test without consent have ended. In the UK, the 2006 Human Tissue Act means you cannot take or test a person's DNA without proper consent. The Human Tissue Act means it is illegal to: Take, store or use human tissue without consent.
https://www.ibdna.com/you-need-consent/

Where are your references?
Or do we just have to take your word for it ?

and let's repeat the situation in other EU countries:
France:
Private DNA paternity testing is illegal, including through laboratories in other countries, and is punishable by up to a year in prison and a €15,000 fine.[20] The French Council of State has described the law's purpose as upholding the "French regime of filiation" and preserving "the peace of families."

Germany
Under the Gene Diagnostics Act of 2009, secret paternity testing is illegal. Any paternity testing must be conducted by a licensed physician or by an expert with a university degree in science and special education in parentage testing, and the laboratory carrying out genetic testing must be accredited according to ISO/IEC 17025. Full informed consent of both parents is required

Only Trump's country is enlightened:
United States
In the United States, paternity testing is fully legal, and fathers may test their children without the consent or knowledge of the mother.
@Ter is right in as much as a man who is not a recognised parent can not force a DNA test to prove paternity. He can not force a DNA test to disprove paternity either. The only defence a man has, is that if he asks for a paternity test and the mother refuses the test, then he will not be forced to pay maintenance and the mother might face benefit sanction. However there may be various loop holes that can avoid this benefit sanction. But in this rigged Cultural Marxist men hating system, its always the man that must pay out for the test up front. He gets a refund if the test proves negative on paternity. The woman of course receives no sanction for falsely accusing the man of paternity.

There is also the issue that women can and do procure men's semen and inseminate themselves without the man's consent. Of course this is a matter that our cultural Marxist masters refuse to discuss.
Rich wrote:He can not force a DNA test to disprove paternity either. The only defence a man has, is that if he asks for a paternity test and the mother refuses the test, then he will not be forced to pay maintenance and the mother might face benefit sanction. However there may be various loop holes that can avoid this benefit sanction. But in this rigged Cultural Marxist men hating system, its always the man that must pay out for the test up front.

The United Kingdom really has become tyrannical, hasn't it?

Rich wrote:There is also the issue that women can and do procure men's semen and inseminate themselves without the man's consent. Of course this is a matter that our cultural Marxist masters refuse to discuss.

Well, they have gotten increasingly weird. If a man voluntarily has sex with a woman, then legally he is liable for the child. If he deposits sperm with a "sperm bank" and the woman procures it and inseminates herself, he is not. Yet, this sort of social change seems to take place with very little enabling legislation. Similarly, children aren't given the right to know who their actual parent is--a particularly common issue among children supposedly of homosexual couples.
I know who my father is. He is the man who raised me, and supported me, and taught me to be the man I am today.

If it turned out that my mom was a far more exciting and fun gal than she let on, and my biological dad is someone else, I would not care.

I would still call my real dad on father’s day, and thank him for raising me and supporting me, and making me the man I am today.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I know who my father is. He is the man who raised me, and supported me, and taught me to be the man I am today.

If it turned out that my mom was a far more exciting and fun gal than she let on, and my biological dad is someone else, I would not care.

I would still call my real dad on father’s day, and thank him for raising me and supporting me, and making me the man I am today.

That is very interesting and noble on your part.
I would feel sorry for my father being cuckolded and having a slut for a wife.
I would have no respect for my mother if I found out she fucked around.

The photo in the article showing tunnels supposed[…]

Warnings for civilians to evacuate, including drop[…]

What interests are those? He is an honorary US […]

The tail has been wagging the dog.. Israel is a[…]