Vast protest in Hong Kong against extradition law - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Oh boo-hoo.... You did this to yourself woman!

Turned you political brand into a toxic one. Goodbye!

I feel sorry for Mainlanders currently living overseas, the Cantonese & Taiwanese will make them even more feel who still runs the Diaspora communities.
Rancid wrote:This is truth. In due time, Hong Kong will become another Mandarin speaking city.

@Patrickov, Will Cantonese survive as a language and culture when Hong Kong is lost?

I have a feeling that I would be killed in this process so I don't know.

Besides it's in fact less different from Cantonese than most of us are willing to believe.

One more small note: In Hong Kong, a group who are extremely pro-Beijing are from Fujian, whose language is allegedly even more different from Mandarin than Cantonese.
The CCP keeps claiming that we are influenced by "foreign forces". An example is given below:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... QXdb4gzZhE

This reminds you guys of two things:
  1. They do not see their errors. If the foreign forces are so easy to penetrate, it's more related to their own problem rather than anybody else's.
  2. They still stick to the backward thinking that they are so bullied and should regain the glory hundreds of years ago.

With a mindset like this, they OUGHT TO BE defeated, so that lesson are taught over and over, until they accepts how backwards they are, otherwise I fail to see justice existing in this world.
ness31 wrote:The legislation appears to have been suspended :)

Suspension seems not enough now.

There are three problems for now:
  1. As long as there's no total withdrawal, it can get going any time again.
  2. Carrie Lam and anybody supporting the bill and in power are not removed.
  3. China still thinks they need to fend off this "foreign attack", refusing to admit they are the one at fault all this time.

Right now another million-rally is amassing. Some of my closer relatives are already in, and my parents are considering joining again, although I admit that I am growing tired of this, and wish that someone takes action to make at least the first two happen. (I admit that the last is a cancerous positive feedback loop between the CCP and ordinary Chinese people, and it's a bit hard to remove by anything short of a loss of wars)

We are witnessing Hong Kong's biggest ever political protest.

Looks like nearly 2 million people have showed up today.

Carrie Lam needs to retire.... Now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/16/worl ... tests.html

Millions have turned up.

Cops have let it happen (a strike? Hopefully). Minimal police presence has been noted.
Let me put myself in shame this time. As I said, I am growing tired so I didn't join.

Yet the mass was larger than even last week, and the initial estimation of the is a whooping 1.9 million 2.13 million. That is, one in three people were on the street.

The mass has not been totally dispersed yet.

Consider what would happen if other Chinese see this and are not brainwashed.

If the Liason office still believes we are brainwashed by Westerners, I'd say they should be beaten up by Westerners.
Patrickov wrote:Let me put myself in shame this time. As I said, I am growing tired so I didn't join.

Yet the mass was larger than even last week, and the initial estimation of the is a whooping 1.9 million 2.13 million. That is, one in three people were on the street.

The mass has not been totally dispersed yet.

Consider what would happen if other Chinese see this and are not brainwashed.

If the Liason office still believes we are brainwashed by Westerners, I'd say they should be beaten up by Westerners.

HK is showing a great example. Remember that massive change is brought by long term protest. This has to last months if not years honestly. I understand it is tiring but the French revolution, October revolution, American rebellion, Gandhis resistance etc all lasted years.
JohnRawls wrote:HK is showing a great example. Remember that massive change is brought by long term protest. This has to last months if not years honestly. I understand it is tiring but the French revolution, October revolution, American rebellion, Gandhis resistance etc all lasted years.

There's an old Chinese teaching said, "the first is a bang, the second becomes decayed, while it's gone by the third". I have succumbed to this but others not.

And I must say that the October Revolution ended up in total failure. In fact I might as well blame both WW2 and the current situation on this event.
Patrickov wrote:There's an old Chinese teaching said, "the first is a bang, the second becomes decayed, while it's gone by the third". I have succumbed to this but others not.

And I must say that the October Revolution ended up in total failure. In fact I might as well blame both WW2 and the current situation on this event.

Well the example was how to achieve your goals through protest/revolution instead of whatever it was succesful long term or not. That is a whole different beast all together.

As i said before, short term protest will not achieve anything. HK needs to go on the offensive to show the CCP that they are not happy with their rule in many regards and that they are violating to what they signed up too. This will bring change one way or the other. The world also can't ignore this for long. If this continues for months then the UK, EU and US will inevitably respond.
JohnRawls wrote:As i said before, short term protest will not achieve anything. HK needs to go on the offensive to show the CCP that they are not happy with their rule in many regards and that they are violating to what they signed up too. This will bring change one way or the other. The world also can't ignore this for long. If this continues for months then the UK, EU and US will inevitably respond.

I am not that optimistic, although if the Chinese still uses the mindset that we are influenced by foreigners, there can be new drama...
Patrickov wrote:I am not that optimistic, although if the Chinese still uses the mindset that we are influenced by foreigners, there can be new drama...

What can the CCP say? We are trying to slowly erode HK autonomy and people don't like it? Blaming foreign influence is the oldest trick in the book and its a message aimed at whole of China and not HK.

Instead of complaining about it try to find a way to send the message to the rest of China " We are like you but we love our democracy because it makes our live better. You just never experienced it. " That is perhaps the biggest fuck you that you can do to the CCP. Will make their balls sweat i guarantee it.
JohnRawls wrote:Instead of complaining about it try to find a way to send the message to the rest of China " We are like you but we love our democracy because it makes our live better. You just never experienced it. " That is perhaps the biggest fuck you that you can do to the CCP. Will make their balls sweat i guarantee it.

How do you even send the message?

I'd imagine Chinese state media is not reporting on the protests at all or downplaying it as a minor disturbance.
Rancid wrote:How do you even send the message?

I'd imagine Chinese state media is not reporting on the protests at all or downplaying it as a minor disturbance.

True. I bet the number of inland Chinese people who want to have us or Taiwanese annihilated is several times the population of both places combined. That is not to say that every person there is either brainwashed or evil, but consider if even only 1 in 20 of the people up there think so, and are able to do so...
Rancid wrote:How do you even send the message?

Isn't that the question of the year. It is definitely not easy but there surely must be a way. I wonder if anybody from HK is brave enough to hijack some official CCP broadcast to send out their message or if that is even doable. I understand there are other ways but using some underground forums and encrypted messaging apps is not the same as broadcasting it live via the CCP media. In modern days it will spread fast and even Chinese censorship will unlikely be able to suppress it.

@Patrickov The only reason they want you annihilated is because they hear 1 side of the story.
JohnRawls wrote:Isn't that the question of the year. It is definitely not easy but there surely must be a way. I wonder if anybody from HK is brave enough to hijack some official CCP broadcast to send out their message or if that is even doable. I understand there are other ways but using some underground forums and encrypted messaging apps is not the same as broadcasting it live via the CCP media. In modern days it will spread fast and even Chinese censorship will unlikely be able to suppress it.

I think it has to happen the other way. Regular Chinese citizens needs to get into the habit of bypassing the great firewall and taking a look at media outside of China.
JohnRawls wrote:The only reason they want you annihilated is because they hear 1 side of the story.

Not really.

There are people who are in Hong Kong and have access to all kinds of media, but keep sending me messages that the US CIA is behind all the protests, or how we should avenge our ancestors who had suffered under the age of Western intervention.

I heard my Dad occasionally harassed (well, just with propaganda messages, no threats at all) by some of his old friends, who are staunch patriots.

And I still remember the propaganda of one of my employment agents a few years back, during "occupy central" movement. Good thing that the agency has since made contact to me with another person.
An excellent example indeed!

How is this sustainable over years though?

Are there not other ways a Hong Kong could express their protest? Could Hong Kong sue the CCP for breach of contract? :hmm: It sounds silly I know...
Maybe boycott Chinese companies? Send a blimp out over the mainland telling Chinese citizens they are are not alone...omg omg, I have it! Sky Writing Messages!!
I suspect the average Chinese person is not particularly sympathetic to the argument that Hong Kong should have special status and would probably gravitate to the view that what's good for people in Mainland China is good for people in Hong Kong.

I might be wrong but that would be a very natural and human response.

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over main[…]

The rapes by Hamas, real or imagained are irreleva[…]

@Rugoz You are a fuckin' moralist, Russia coul[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]