On the Insidiousness of "We have 12 Years to Save the Planet." - Page 9 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

@The trigger

Yours is the kind of moronic post that represents the best that new conservatism has to offer. It is untrue and it is aimed at the typical IQ of a Trump supporter.

How about this. Why don't we hear what she actually said? Would you like that youngster?

Speaking of community gardens she said:

“But when you really think about it — when someone says that it’s ‘too hard’ to do a green space that grows Yucca instead of, I don’t know, cauliflower or something — what you’re doing is that you’re taking a colonial approach to environmentalism, and that is why a lot of communities of color get resistant to certain environmentalist movements because they come with the colonial lens on them,” Ocasio-Cortez said.

Now you and I may not like this kind of fatuous nonsense but there is no need to deliberately make her look smart like you did. And what if she called you a liar? Would you admit it or giggle like a 10 year old caught lying?

If you were a real conservative you would understand your libertarian conservative roots. You would embrace the environmental movement like former conservatives did. How about Ronald Reagan who said:

The Montreal Protocol is a model of cooperation. It is a product of the recognition and international consensus that ozone depletion is a global problem, both in terms of its causes and its effects. The protocol is the result of an extraordinary process of scientific study, negotiations among representatives of the business and environmental communities, and international diplomacy. It is a monumental achievement.

Or Richard Nixon:

Passed the National Environmental Policy act.

Created the Environmental Protection Agency.

Passed the Clean Air act Extension of 1970 the most significant air pollution act in history.

Passed the Marine Mammal Protection Act.

Passed the Safe Drinking Water Act

Passed the Endangered Species Act.

Republican Platform of 1968. Not one bit of it applies today:

We must enable family farm enterprise to participate fully in the nation's prosperity. We must bring about quality education for all. We must assure every individual an opportunity for satisfying and rewarding employment. We must attack the root causes of poverty and eradicate racism, hatred and violence.

We must give all citizens the opportunity to influence and shape the events of our time.

We must give increasing attention to the views of the young and recognize their key role in our present as well as the future.

In many areas poverty and its attendant ills afflict large numbers of Americans. Distrust and fear plague us all. Our inner cities teem with poor, crowded in slums. Many rural areas are run down and barren of challenge or opportunity. Minorities among us—particularly the black community, the Mexican-American, the American Indian—suffer disproportionately.

Americans critically need—and are eager for—new and dynamic leadership. We offer that leadership—a leadership to eradicate bitterness and discrimination—responsible, compassionate leadership that will keep its word—leadership every citizen can count on to move this nation forward again, confident, reunited, and sure of purpose.

Crisis of the Cities

For today and tomorrow, there must be—and we pledge—a vigorous effort, nation-wide, to transform the blighted areas of cities into centers of opportunity and progress, culture and talent.

The need is critical. Millions of our people are suffering cruelly from expanding metropolitan blight—congestion, crime, polluted air and water, poor housing, inadequate educational, economic and recreational opportunities. This continuing decay of urban centers—the deepening misery and limited opportunity of citizens living there—is intolerable in America. We promise effective, sustainable action enlisting new energies by the private sector and by governments at all levels.

We pledge:

Energetic, positive leadership to enforce statutory and constitutional protections to eliminate discrimination;

Concern for the unique problems of citizens long disadvantaged in our total society by race, color, national origin, creed, or sex;

A greater involvement of vast private enterprise resources in the improvement of urban life, induced by tax and other incentives;

New technological and administrative approaches through flexible federal programs enabling and encouraging communities to solve their own problems;

A complete overhaul and restructuring of the competing and overlapping jumble of federal programs to enable state and local governments to focus on priority objectives.

There was a time when conservative America was run by smart, compassionate, educated people. Not people who post tripe like yours.
Drlee wrote:@The trigger

Yours is the kind of moronic post that represents the best that new conservatism has to offer. It is untrue and it is aimed at the typical IQ of a Trump supporter.

How about this. Why don't we hear what she actually said? Would you like that youngster?

The trigger was just paraphrasing what AOC meant. She obviously chose the cauliflower because it is white and represents western Europe "colonialism" to contrast it with the Spanish American Yucca and "communities of color" in her statement.
Yucca is native to the United States and Canada. Why in my own state of Arizona Yucca is everywhere including my property. Why are you hating on Yucca by calling it Spanish American? It was here long before the Spanish and in Canada (why you hating on Canada) before the British. It was even here before the so-called first peoples.

You are a plant racist. You hate first plants. Now I could understand if you were down on colonial plants like corn. I could understand you refusing to eat this most un-United Statesian plant because it was imposed on first peoples in the United States by invaders from the south. That would make sense. But to pick on the home-grown and dare I say patriotic yucca is just over the top.

That is what is wrong with the new so-called conservatives. They do not remember our patriotic first foods like Beans, Chia and Papaya. Squash and Sunflower seeds are American for sure. Chokecherry and Erect Knotweed I say. Down with the vile English sandwiches (unless they have 'Merican avacados in them) and the goddam European Raspberries well they are from NAZI Germany. Or what was NAZI Germany.

If you want to be a true Christian conservative Hindsite you had better stop eating olives. I know our Savior ate them and did not retch (the martyr St. Vomitus would have us know in his writings. "And then Jesus did partake of the black olive and gaggeth not but said of the green, "oh vile green olive be curse'ed among all foods as there will be a day when eaters of the green olive bloweth to bits the sacred places of the new home of my chosen people across the seas.") but today they are Muslim food, pure and simple. And yes I know they are made in Italy too but remember that the Italians killed Jesus and the mafia dominates the Italian olive market. Join with me in insisting that the Israelis, who own the Mount of Olives, change the name to "Jesus Hill" and drop the reference to Muslim fruit.

You need to get your act together Hindsite. You are sounding like a mere colonial tool. A Johnny-come-lately to God's continent. And, dare I say...a liberal food bigot.
Drlee wrote:Why are you hating on Yucca by calling it Spanish American?

Okay, Latin American and Native American Yucca. I am not hating on Yucca. I would not know Yucca if I saw it because I have never eaten any. AOC brought it up with her racist ideas about cauliflower. I was simply trying to put her ideas into simpler terms, so we could all understand how racist she is against white people from Europe.
Hindsite wrote:I am certainly for "reasonable" measures to clean up the environment. However, "extreme" measures like the Green New Deal of AOC is too wacky.

Meanwhile, Revelations 3:16 wrote:But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!

Even your own "God" would spit you out for your lukewarm commitment to NOT DESTROYING HIS CREATIONS.

And if you would read a bit more about the necessity of collective action in resisting civilizational suicide, you would realize that Revelations is just an entry-level text that acquaints the reader with the important concept of civilizational collapse.

No angel saves you. The Bible just provides a "happy ending" (for its fanbase) as a way of convincing people that Christianity will provide savior technology for its own collapse. You need to read a bit more to understand that religions are part of every collapsed civilization.
QatzelOk wrote:Even your own "God" would spit you out for your lukewarm commitment to NOT DESTROYING HIS CREATIONS.

And if you would read a bit more about the necessity of collective action in resisting civilizational suicide, you would realize that Revelations is just an entry-level text that acquaints the reader with the important concept of civilizational collapse.

No angel saves you. The Bible just provides a "happy ending" (for its fanbase) as a way of convincing people that Christianity will provide savior technology for its own collapse. You need to read a bit more to understand that religions are part of every collapsed civilization.

Maybe you read a bit too much of the wrong stuff. Or else you don't have a clue.
Err, 12 years ? AFAICS its currently about 8.5 years:

https://www.mcc-berlin.net/en/research/co2-budget.html

Once we reach 1.5 degree, at any point in time, a runaway situation might occur. Its possible though that even 1.5 degree is too optimistic, and its of course possible that even at 2 degree the runaway situation might not occur yet. We dont know for sure. We think at 1.5 however is the critical point.

In any case the climate catastrophe is accelerating and the situation looks dire.

Once we have reached that point of the runaway, the climate change that will occur will permanently change out atmosphere by a large amount, estimated to be about five to six degree celsius, will cause huge changes in the weather for the worse, will make large amounts of land uninhabitable for human beings, will thus created an estimated count of 400 million climate refugees, and it will be permanent.

Even at 1.5 degree, Bangladesh is already a goner. Netherlands too, but I would assume as an industrialized, rich country they probably can build higher dams in time. Though we'll quickly have to build dams all over the place in industrialized countries anyway to keep the sea at bay.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I sincerely doubt that there is scientific evidence to support your claims.

And that is the classic

I'm a BIRDBRAIN, I'm PARROTING, so I'm RIGHT, because I'm the BIRDBRAIN DOING THE PARROTING....

LOL!!!

One Earth polar circle, the Antarctic, has 9 times the ice of the other, is on average 50F colder than the other, and calves/puts 9 times the ice into the oceans vs the other, some 46 times the H2O the Mississippi dumps in the Gulf....

WHY?

Why does one Earth polar circle cool Earth so much more than the other??

Start the Jeopardy! music....
LMFAO!!

So, 90% of Earth ice is on LAND MASS ANTARCTICA.

7% of Earth ice is on LAND MASS GREENLAND

97% of Earth ice is one the two LAND MASSES closest to an Earth Pole....

and land MOVES....

70 million years ago, Antarctica had DINOSAURS....

because it was NOT on the SOUTH POLE....

http://mentalfloss.com/article/79769/4- ... -antarctic

Does anyone really think those dinosaurs lived at -60F on top of 2 miles of ice???

LOL!!!
Pants-of-dog wrote:What does any of this have to do with climate change?

Antarctica goes from a tropical haven of dinosaurs to an ice age, and Noemon Edit: Rule 2 Violation asks what that has to do with climate change....

For an even better example, let's check out the Arctic for the past million years. One million years ago, Greenland was ice free except for mountain tops...

https://www.livescience.com/7331-ancien ... green.html

"The DNA is proof that sometime between 450,000 and 800,000 years ago, much of Greenland was especially green and covered in a boreal forest that was home to alder, spruce and pine trees, as well as insects such as butterflies and beetles."

and what did North America look like 1 million years ago....

https://www.quora.com/Which-North-Ameri ... st-ice-age

Canada was completely covered, and glaciers were down through INDIANA....

So, in the past 1 million years, Greenland FROZE while North America THAWED, all

AT THE SAME TIME
ON THE SAME PLANET
WITH THE SAME ATMOSPHERE
WITH THE SAME AMOUNT OF Co2 IN THE ATMOSPHERE

So how did Co2 melt NA and freeze Greenland AT THE SAME TIME???

LMFAO!!!
Pants-of-dog wrote:How do you know that CO2 concentrations were the same?

Mind you, the fact that other things can cause climate change does not mean that humans cannot change the climate.

and THAT is the "warmers' answer," that Co2 vacated Greenland and "clumped" over North America....

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Co2 proven NOT to cause climate change.

Here endeth the SCIENCE LESSON....
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The Settlement program is an example of slow ethn[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Meanwhile, your opponents argue that everyone e[…]

People tend to forget that the French now have a s[…]

Neither is an option too. Neither have your inte[…]