Vast protest in Hong Kong against extradition law - Page 8 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

colliric wrote:A lot of the older generation remembers how Queen Elizabeth II stopped that from happening and also spared it's inhabitants from undergoing the goddamn Cultural Revolution.

Sir, mentioning the British monarch having credit on this, means that you don't actually know how British monarchy works... this lack of knowledge is a bit alarming.
Atlantis wrote:The video footings from Hong Kong will convince the CCP leaders in Beijing (if any convincing is needed) that the Chinese must never be allowed to have freedom of expression. They must keep the lid on the pressure cooker even if it takes a massacre of Gargantuan proportions. Once the Chinese humanity is let loose, there will be no holding them and the old men in their forbidden palaces will be swept away.

I am afraid it's this very thought that makes the Chinese the "locusts" as they are now seen.

Oppression is never a good way to make the people better. Often it ends with you going down with them, violently. And worst of all, the situation only turns even worse after that.
Patrickov wrote:I am afraid it's this very thought that makes the Chinese the "locusts" as they are now seen.

Oppression is never a good way to make the people better. Often it ends with you going down with them, violently. And worst of all, the situation only turns even worse after that.

That's the theory, yet oppression worked just fine for the Chinese leadership at Tiananmen, while Gorbachev, who didn't have the stamina for more oppression, let the Soviet Union collapse. The lesson quite clearly is that oppression does work.
Patrickov wrote:Sir, mentioning the British monarch having credit on this, means that you don't actually know how British monarchy works... this lack of knowledge is a bit alarming.

I have first hand knowledge concerning HK.

Wink.
Atlantis wrote:That's the theory, yet oppression worked just fine for the Chinese leadership at Tiananmen, while Gorbachev, who didn't have the stamina for more oppression, let the Soviet Union collapse. The lesson quite clearly is that oppression does work.

Let's wait and see China's end before getting to this conclusion.
colliric wrote:I have first hand knowledge concerning HK.

Wink.

You say this as if I don't.

Meanwhile, that QEII statement of you was more about Britain itself. I doubt whoever said it to you explicitly mentioned the Queen.
Atlantis wrote:History doesn't actually "end".

Anyways, China will outlast most countries in existence today. After more then 3.500 years of continuous Han culture, that is a fairly safe bet.
Out of those 3500 years China hasn't been a fully unified entity for most of that time and slips in to warlordism more often than not. They have been unified on paper but in reality they weren't unified even for a 1000 years out of all that. Most European countries have a longer history of unity.
The extradition bill was necessary , in order to prevent Hong Kong from fast becoming a safe haven for criminals . https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/hong-kong-media-say-controversial-extradition-bill-may-be-suspended/article27947534.ece But , under pressure from the unruly mob , the Hong Kong administration has suspended the proposed piece of legislation . https://kxlh.com/cnn-asia-pacific/2019/06/15/hong-kong-may-pause-controversial-extradition-bill-after-mass-protests/ I myself am not always supportive of Beijing , but if their were Russian funded mobs in the United States taking to the streets to disrupt the lawful order of things , can there be any doubt that the powers that be would take forceful , decisive action to suppress such subversion , and foreign collusion ?
Deutschmania wrote:The extradition bill was necessary , in order to prevent Hong Kong from fast becoming a safe haven for criminals . https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/hong-kong-media-say-controversial-extradition-bill-may-be-suspended/article27947534.ece But , under pressure from the unruly mob , the Hong Kong administration has suspended the proposed piece of legislation . https://kxlh.com/cnn-asia-pacific/2019/06/15/hong-kong-may-pause-controversial-extradition-bill-after-mass-protests/ I myself am not always supportive of Beijing , but if their were Russian funded mobs in the United States taking to the streets to disrupt the lawful order of things , can there be any doubt that the powers that be would take forceful , decisive action to suppress such subversion , and foreign collusion ?

What a load of BS.
HK protesters stepped it up a notch today it seems. That is more like it. Taking over the legislative building should be just the start. The local sell outs are scared as they should be to oppress their own people. You guys should add the head of policy to the resignation list. He is the one trying to oppress you also now. Instead of following orders from Beijing a real Hong Konger should join the protest also. (What is the point of your post if you are here to oppress your own people?)
skinster wrote:https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1145708395690749959

Just imagine how shit China needs to be that Hong Kong supports becoming a colony again. :lol:

I know this triggers you a lot but Hong Kong colonialism was a really good thing. It saved a lot of people from death, gave them prosperity and freedom. Which is currently being taken away by China.
skinster wrote:US/UK can't keep their filthy paws out of anything...

I think you have the Alex Jones disease. UK is busy with Brexit atm. It's not the time for this nor is there any political goodwill from any politicians or people to care much less to hate or support this.
skinster wrote:Always with the ad-homs in-between stating basically what every newspaper in the West reports, as though you're thinking for yourself, ever. :D

Everything is a CIA/West plot to you. Can't something be just shit in some country and people are legitimately protesting against it? (Like me and you in our respective countries at times)
JohnRawls wrote:Everything is a CIA/West plot to you. Can't something be just shit in some country and people are legitimately protesting against it? (Like me and you in our respective countries at times)

The US does spend quite a lot on pro-democracy and related causes in other countries and as long as it does, the door is obviously open for these types of accusations. The west has also made a big deal on much less money being spent on Facebook ads and posts. It's essentially a propaganda war more than anything else and some people are being fully consumed by it.

With that out of the way, people in Hong Kong have good and perfectly rational reasons to oppose more influence of the CCP. Those who think that the protests are down to manipulation and payment by the west need to explain why the people of Hong Kong would support an erosion of its special status.
From a news report last night I heard that the age of the average protester was 18-20. That youthful vigour knows how to keep the protest ball rolling don’t it?

May they succeed where others have failed. I can’t believe it’s still going on tbh :eek:

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's promo[…]

Moving the goalposts won't change the facts on th[…]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 28, Thursday No separate peace deal with G[…]