Updates on Puerto Rico 2019: USA response to crisis emphasizes how bad the relationship is! - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
On the Puerto Rican island of Vieques, residents cite cancer, birth defects and diseases as the lasting legacy of decades of US weapons use there. But 10 years after the bombings stopped, the US refuses to acknowledge a link.

For more than 60 years, the idyllic Caribbean island was used as a practice ground for US Navy weapons, turning more than half of it into a no-go zone. The island of 10,000 struggled for decades to get its land back.

Oh well ………… we don't need them no more. :| Let's "grant" them their independence while keeping bases used by the American Empire war machine.

nothing wrong here ^ that a few rolls of paper towels cannot fix.

WOW! This guy ^ is one helluva leader.
Finfinder wrote: gut hooked

You are a fisherman ….. is that a fishing term? Do me a favor, if you would. Let me know by PM or in public if there is any serious tornado/hurricane activity in or around Cape Coma :eek: . thanks in advance ………

Day before yesterday it was 102 degrees on my deck on the coast of Maine …… hotter than Cape Coma. My pathetic little window unit almost got a heart attack. This ain't what I paid for :lol:
jimjam wrote:On the Puerto Rican island of Vieques, residents cite cancer, birth defects and diseases as the lasting legacy of decades of US weapons use there. But 10 years after the bombings stopped, the US refuses to acknowledge a link.

It wouldn't matter if they did acknowledge a link. Sovereign immunity prevents lawsuits against the state. People who want to move into a former military site out to think about they types of things the military might have dumped there first.

jimjam wrote:For more than 60 years, the idyllic Caribbean island was used as a practice ground for US Navy weapons, turning more than half of it into a no-go zone.

They can clean it up. They just want to get lots of money from the federal government.

jimjam wrote:Oh well ………… we don't need them no more. :| Let's "grant" them their independence while keeping bases used by the American Empire war machine.

We don't need bases in Puerto Rico either. The US has smart bombs. There really isn't any more need of target practice with bombs.

Maybe Trump should hug people more like Obama and Chris Christie.
blackjack21 wrote:Puerto Rico has been vacillating about its status long enough. I think it's time to give them the boot. I really don't see why America needs Puerto Rico or why Puerto Rico needs America.

It is about bankers Blackjack. It is pretty simple. Remember when Donald Trump wanted to wipe out the Puerto Rican debt to be able to have the island recover financially? He then backtracked on his 'suggestion'. Lol. You don't remember that? Trump has declared bankruptcy a few times in his life for 'relief'. The issue became when he was called on the phone and told to not say that in public! It came from the bankers Blackjack. They want to be paid their money. They don't care about your style of nationalism or BigSteve's or any patriotic ideal or preserving European culture. They only care about $$$$. And if they can take away state power completely and directly run a society for debt service? The better it is for them. That is capitalism taken to extremes.

Get used to it. It is what they want. Market greed above nationalism. $$$ Trumps Patriotism. That is the kind of mentality Wall Street has. Greed is Good. No matter how bad it gets. Puerto Rico is an example of what can happen if you allow it. Ricky Rossello didn't have much real control. Puerto Rico is relegated to possession status and has to beg for survival. The bootlickers who don't confront the nations and the banks doing the pillaging are not made of sturdy morals Blackjack. They cave in to corruption and self serving sellout behaviors. They also are not Puerto Rican patriots or nationalists. But bootlickers. I have low expectations of them. The same could be said for those Americans in the states who bootlick for Russian mafia guys for $$$ even though they are Americans. They are sellouts. They are disgusting Blackjack. But those are the kinds of politicians who are abundant all over the world in many governments.

Get a plan on how to boot them all. For me? I want the USA to boot us out of any kind of relationship and allow us to be independent. It is time for that. But you better pay a good amount of money for the transition. If you don't? You will have violence and bad ones and Puerto Ricans are trained en masse just like the American Samoans in USA military training manuals. You are not dealing with a bunch of 'soldiers' who never got trained in the military that was underfunded. Piss off enough of them? Who knows what might happen?

Best thing is to let us go. And PAY what you owe in damages and call it a lesson in imperialism. If you don't? You will go into a war situation that is internal. You have enough right wing nuts causing mayhem and death who hate the USA gov't. Don't invite the others who might find it impossible to live with being independent and not even having a minimal amount to live on after being in a military branch of the USA for years and years.

Got to pay up. For being an Empire. Suck up the stupid choices. Man up. And mature. :) :D
Tainari88 wrote:It is about bankers Blackjack. It is pretty simple. Remember when Donald Trump wanted to wipe out the Puerto Rican debt to be able to have the island recover financially? He then backtracked on his 'suggestion'. Lol. You don't remember that? Trump has declared bankruptcy a few times in his life for 'relief'. The issue became when he was called on the phone and told to not say that in public! It came from the bankers Blackjack. They want to be paid their money. They don't care about your style of nationalism or BigSteve's or any patriotic ideal or preserving European culture. They only care about $$$$. And if they can take away state power completely and directly run a society for debt service? The better it is for them. That is capitalism taken to extremes.

Agreed. I'd like to see them get fucked over. So an independent Puerto Rico could just hyperinflate the debt away. The Tea Party arose because Bush and Pelosi began TARP to bail out big banks instead of letting them fail in a more graceful manner and letting the bond holders get a much deserved haircut.

Tainari88 wrote:Puerto Rico is relegated to possession status and has to beg for survival.

That's why Puerto Ricans should be 100% for independence.

Tainari88 wrote:Best thing is to let us go. And PAY what you owe in damages and call it a lesson in imperialism.

It's the tributary that pays, not the imperialist. That's kind of how that game is played. Britain is finding that out in trying to leave the EU. It's not so fun being a tributary. I think we can agree that Britain should stop singing, "Britons never never never shall be slaves" until they are out of the EU.
The Governor has resigned after more than a week of demonstrations in the capital. GOOD RIDDANCE!

f course only a baby step in the right direction. A great deal of social planning and reconstruction will be required.
blackjack21 wrote:Agreed. I'd like to see them get fucked over. So an independent Puerto Rico could just hyperinflate the debt away. The Tea Party arose because Bush and Pelosi began TARP to bail out big banks instead of letting them fail in a more graceful manner and letting the bond holders get a much deserved haircut.

The debt is in the dollar system Blackjack and if they hyperinflate the debt away it will affect many USA regular bond holders. I say the top heavy banking types need to be spanked til they bleed and not get any profit. Take a loss and also pay for reconstruction due to greed. Right now PROMESA is in the henhouse and is the fox. That won't lead to solutions at all. Pelosi and Bush are two sides of the same rotted coin.

That's why Puerto Ricans should be 100% for independence.

Puerto Ricans have to have their time of reckoning. That is now. I made my decision of not living in Puerto Rico. I am not going to get into the whys because some of them have to do with my own personal experiences and life. I won't live in an island that continues to drag out the colonialism due to fear and lack of commitment to being 100% responsible for its own future. But I don't want to live in the USA either. It is very hard to leave the USA and to live outside of the USA if you are a USA citizen unless you have a lot of money. But? It can be done. You got to be very intelligent on how to do that. I now have a visa for Mexico and started a four year process to become a Mexican citizen. I met with the consulate and she told me the steps involved. I talked to many USA Anglo background Americans who are permanent residents and or on their way to Mexican citizenship and why it is attractive. It is interesting. In my case the Mexican consulate told me I would have a fast track advantage. I speak Spanish and have lived and worked before in Mexico for many many years and can write the citizenship essay that includes a Mexican history exam. No problem. I have always been flexible in my thinking. For me? You see a pattern to what most nations want from a new citizen--no criminal record, financial solvency, educated, hopefully fluent in the language of the nation, good moral character, stable, can contribute in taxes and has a lot to give a society that works for its livelihood. I met all that criteria. It was explained to me. Plus I have more than fifty letters of recommendation from Mexican citizens who know me well and can vouch for me. While I was waiting in line at the Mexican immigration office I learned a lot....I met some Americans from my home state who said to me, "I wish I would have taken a lot more seriously studying foreign languages. I took it not very seriously and now I am paying the price. How did you do it?" Lol. I am a translator too Blackjack. It was my opportunity to sell my services. Lol. Anyway, I think I will be in Cuba, in South America and back in my home island of Puerto Rico this year sometime. I love this part of the world. It was were I was born. Were my mother and father were born, my grandparents on both sides, my great grandparents and so on for centuries Blackjack. And that is who I am. Not American. I never identified as an English speaking American from the middle classes. That has never been who I am or was in the past. So? Independence is the goal. I firmly believe in having to take responsibility for your own nation, your own country, your own culture. You can't shed that like a banana peel. But? The USA has to take responsibility for its part in the mess. And the Puerto Ricans need to realize that if you study independence movements all over the world from a colonialistic past? It is a very violent, blood filled, and difficult thing to go for independence. The only ones that it benefits greatly are the future generations of that society--not the ones living the instability and stress of independence. That is the only way to go though....because freedom is not free without a sacrifice Blackjack. Not in 1776 for the USA and not for Puerto Rico in any present or near future date either. It all is a very heavy blood filled endeavor. You study Cuban history, Mexican history, Dominican history and other histories of all the Latin American nations? None of the independence movements were easily accomplished. Neither were the many colonies of the European powers over time. Human history teaches us a lot about war, life, sacrifice, valor, cowardice, greed, and commitment and or lack of...that is the reality.

It's the tributary that pays, not the imperialist. That's kind of how that game is played. Britain is finding that out in trying to leave the EU. It's not so fun being a tributary. I think we can agree that Britain should stop singing, "Britons never never never shall be slaves" until they are out of the EU.

Well, if you want violence? Like what happened in the fifties where Puerto Rican nationalists shot up the USA congress and nowadays have access to a lot of military grade weaponry? You can risk that mentality. I say play it safe. Don't risk human life. Pay enough for a smooth transition. Being a greedy and callous cold hearted imperialist is not good for your health in this world. Be safe. Pay the money for transition. If not? The Middle East and all that 'building the nation up' but never doing what is necessary which is invest in water treatment plants, electricity, build up destroyed roads, homes, rooftops, schools, hospitals, universities, museums, etc and just destroy and then let the 'conquered' pay the price is a recipe for violence and blood. If you don't? That is your thing Blackjack. I find death and killing not only immoral but if it can be avoided by paying for being the instigator in the problem? It is best. The Germans lost the War. Why build up the nation? Because if you don't? The cause of why the Germans were at war would be fired up again eventually. Prevention of that build up of resentment is best.
redcarpet wrote:The Governor has resigned after more than a week of demonstrations in the capital. GOOD RIDDANCE!

f course only a baby step in the right direction. A great deal of social planning and reconstruction will be required.

I agree Redcarpet. He was not the best of governors. But his father Pedro Rossello wasn't either. I loved reading a Puerto Rican anthropologist's books. His name (now deceased) was Dr. Ricardo Alegria. He became the director of the Institute for Puerto Rican culture. Here he is talking about independence and about different topics. A fine intellectual, a fine man, a friend and a person whom I will always admire. His work on Taino culture was seminal. I loved his phrasing in the original Spanish. He wrote with a great and elegant style in the Spanish language. Que Descanses en Paz Don Ricardo:

Dr. Ricardo Alegria also was a great conservationist for Old San Juan. I was born near all those buildings. Within walking distance. It is named a UNESCO world heritage site. The buildings are from the XVI Century onward. It is interesting almost all historically significant parts of Puerto Rico are run by INDEPENDENCE Puerto Ricans. The sellouts are out there promoting their own interests at the expense of doing what they should have done a long time ago. Historically speaking if you don't take responsibility for running your own territory and with its own unique land base and history? You will suffer terribly at some point in time. It is the way of history. Human beings are not that unique in behavior. It is very predictable. Independence is what should happen.

If it doesn't? Human history is filled with Ghost nations. Nations that died off and no longer exist. It could be not their own fault but it could be genocide or diseases or just change. But? Puerto Rico is small yet has all the elements for running its own nation. It is time she decide to go for it! I will be there for her. Mexico is the home base for Cuban revolutions, the refuge of Spanish civil war citizens, and every Latin American nations' issues with instability. I picked Mexico for many reasons. Lol.

Only those who know Latin American history in depth will understand what I just said about that. The ones who don't? Won't get it.

Redcarpet the update says, one must stop backing these bootlickers. They are useless. Ricky Rossello is one of those in political history.

Compare the dignity and integrity of the pro Independence Puerto Ricans and the BOOTLICKING craven hyenas who are sellouts. Look at him sweat out the problems HE CREATED imitating the behavior of the orange tan man....I hope his butt burns imitating the 45.

Ricky Rossello needs to realize that Ricky Martin is a lot more popular than he is. Lol. Idiot. Lin Manuel Miranda (pro independence). No surprise there either.

Guess who is the director of Puerto Rico Investigative Journalism? YOU BET. Pro Independence Puerto Rican.

All the corrupt people are pro statehood and politically CONSERVATIVE.

Meanwhile the problem is clear. Rotten politicians from the states and from PR:

I like this piece by VICE news:

I have always had a soft spot for Puerto Rican women. Strong, beautiful creatures and intelligent.

I am telling all who are of good minds and good hearts, people from their native land....should not have to be forced into this situation. The bankers and the imperialists. They will get what is coming to them. They leave no choice for many:

Godstud wrote:The only way to get attention to the problem is to demonstrate in places where they get seen. NYC in Grand Central, is such a place. Some Americans sure are dumb.

I spoke with a friend of mine who happened to be in Grand Central when that happened. He said commuters couldn't have cared less. He even witnessed some idiot Puerto Rican getting in the way of a guy and a woman, and the guy placed the palms of his hands on the idiot's chest and launched him.

Nobody gave a shit.

If they wanted to be seen, they should've done it in Central Park, or maybe at the front gate of Disney World.
A lot more people would've seen them.

Some Puerto Ricans sure are dumb...
Last edited by BigSteve on 05 Aug 2019 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
skinster wrote:This isn't the first protest at Grand Central, Admin Edit: Rule 2 Violation American. They happened there regularly when I lived in NYC.

How am I a racist? By thinking it's stupid of them to protest in New York City?

LOL!!

That's funny.

And I know protests have happened in Grand Central. It's pretty common, actually. But most of those tend to be more locally focused.

How may "Puerto Rico" protests have there been there in, say, the last ten years?
I like Puerto Rican protests, they bring lots of music with them, they all get together and agree to dance well as they shout the slogans and they bring noise, flags, and flair. And they shout in Spanish in the American city of Capitalism and bankers. A great thing...

The only dumb one is people who keep saying 'we don't give a shit'. Because you continue to be that indifferent when the violence comes it will be a new story. Unfortunately, American white terrorists are plentiful. They shoot innocent people in Walmarts. The Puerto Ricans protest with some style and they get pissed off? Dumb I would say.

@BigSteve you make foolish statements. NYC has some of the largest Puerto Rican population in the USA. In fact, in NYC history there was a point in which 10% of NYC was Puerto Rican approximately. It is part of the Puerto Rican diaspora. There are about 3.5 million Puerto Ricans on the island. There are about 5+ million in the states. New York has a very large group of Puerto Ricans. They chant and protest in Spanish in New York.

Puerto Rico if allowed to vote would have more representation than 21 US states and if you count the diaspora? You are looking at about 8.5 million people and that is not counting the ones in South America, Latin America, Spain, etc. For a small place, it has a lot of people in many places. It is not the Boricuas fault that you don't know much.

For those of you wanting to know what the chanting is about it is this:

Ricky resign, and take that tyrant banker panel with you!

Ooh, it looks like the Puerto Ricans don't like the bootlicker statehood corrupt asshole governor and the American appointed greedy panel of bankers....ooh, they are into ousting the ones 'in charge'. I wonder if they are gonna vote for Trump next year? I don't think so....once they are in a state of the union and register? They can vote....and they won't be voting Big Steve's way. Ha haha. ;) 8) :lol:
Lol.
I also used to like the delicious food they would bring to the protests and then dance some more, play music, sing some great slogans and then take a break, and come back the next day. I used to lead some of those slogans....and musical protests....one guy got pissed at me and tried to oust me and the Puerto Rican men threw his body over the bench and he landed on his ass...

Oh, Puerto Rican alborotos, memories, like the corners of my mind, misty water-colored memories of making dumb racist pendejo Americans upset.....lol. :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Tainari88 on 05 Aug 2019 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
Tainari88 wrote:@BigSteve you make foolish statements. NYC has some of the largest Puerto Rican population in the USA. In fact, in NYC history there was a point in which 10% of NYC was Puerto Rican approximately. It is part of the Puerto Rican diaspora. There are about 3.5 million Puerto Ricans on the island. There are about 5+ million in the states. New York has a very large group of Puerto Ricans. They chant and protest in Spanish in New York.

And, if you can show where I've ever said a word regarding the Puerto Rican population in New York, I'll buy you a house.

Shouting in Spanish and waving Puerto Rican flags at a protest about Puerto Rico in New York is stupid...

Puerto Rico if allowed to vote would have more representation than 21 US states and if you count the diaspora? You are looking at about 8.5 million people and that is not counting the ones in South America, Latin America, Spain etc. For a small place it has a lot of people in many places. It is not the Boricuas fault that you don't know much.

Lol.

I also used to like the delicious food they would bring to the protests and then dance some more, play music, sing some great slogans and then take a break, and come back the next day. I used to lead some of those slogans....and musical protests....one guy got pissed at me and tried to oust me and the Puerto Rican men threw his body over the bench and he landed on his ass...

Oh, Puerto Rican alborotos, memories, like the corners of my mind, misty water-colored memories of making dumb racist pendejo Americans upset.....lol. :D :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Jared Kushner is inspired by the real estate poten[…]

The US government does not care about the ongoing […]

I would also say that the extreme Left can be j[…]

https://media.gq.com/photos/65d4b3d8[…]