The Folly of Class Warfare, Courtesy of World Bank - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Saeko wrote:What point was that? :lol:

In every single generation, no matter how far back in geological time you look, everyone is born with unequal abilities and advantages in life. One does not choose his parents or his genes, and it would be ridiculous to claim that the advantages you were born with were somehow earned.

I agree, it is a huge advantage to be born in a great family. That is luck! See below.

Palmyrene wrote:Therefore redistributing wealth shouldn't be an issue for you then.

Those that are low the lower socio economic class could climb out as my grandparents did. However, others cannot do it because they truly have crappy patents. Socil programs for subsistence should be available to the poor. Otherwise, we end up with a revolution.

What happens when a poor person receives a lot of cash? Does he or she stop being poor?
Julian658 wrote:Those that are low the lower socio economic class could climb out as my grandparents did.

The situation for your grandparents are not the same for everyone else. This is 2019. Deal with it. Social mobility doesn't exist in the US.

However, others cannot do it because they truly have crappy patents. Socil programs for subsistence should be available to the poor. Otherwise, we end up with a revolution.

Giving the poor the bare minimum will still lead to revolution.

What happens when a poor person receives a lot of cash? Does he or she stop being poor?

Do I seriously need to answer that question?
Julian658 wrote:I agree, it is a huge advantage to be born in a great family.

There is a difference between advantage and privilege. It is an advantage to be born intelligent, attractive, healthy, emotionally stable, conscientious, financially secure, etc., and these advantages will help you to succeed in competition with others. But they help you by making your contribution and thus the rewards for it greater, not by taking anything away from anyone else. So while it may be unequal and undeserved, advantage doesn’t harm anyone else.

Privilege – legal entitlements to benefit from the abrogation of others’ rights without making just compensation – is a far more important cause of extreme inequality than advantage; and unlike advantage, it does harm others. What is called “privilege” in woke culture – white privilege, male privilege, heterosexual privilege, blah, blah, blah – is not privilege at all but merely a kind of distraction to prevent people from thinking about the real privileges -- land titles, bank licenses, IP monopolies, etc. -- that cause unjust inequalities.
Truth To Power wrote:There is a difference between advantage and privilege. It is an advantage to be born intelligent, attractive, healthy, emotionally stable, conscientious, financially secure, etc., and these advantages will help you to succeed in competition with others. But they help you by making your contribution and thus the rewards for it greater, not by taking anything away from anyone else. So while it may be unequal and undeserved, advantage doesn’t harm anyone else.

Privilege – legal entitlements to benefit from the abrogation of others’ rights without making just compensation – is a far more important cause of extreme inequality than advantage; and unlike advantage, it does harm others. What is called “privilege” in woke culture – white privilege, male privilege, heterosexual privilege, blah, blah, blah – is not privilege at all but merely a kind of distraction to prevent people from thinking about the real privileges -- land titles, bank licenses, IP monopolies, etc. -- that cause unjust inequalities.

I agree with your points.

I also believe the term white privilege was invented to invoke a pseudoracism where there is none. As the levels of racism go down there is frustration among some in that they don't see a great deal of positive results. The assumption is that there must be a white privilege in the atmosphere that causes white people to succeed ahead of others. Obviously there must also be an Asian invisible privilege in the atmosphere that is even harder to detect.

Seriously there is something called in group privilege where members of your tribe are very nice to you or go out of their way to help you. But, that is common in all groups.

If Hamas were to have built that tunnel, there wo[…]

There seems to be no counter argument to the clai[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/1773436787622[…]

PoFo would be a strange place for them to focus o[…]