Vast protest in Hong Kong against extradition law - Page 25 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

skinster is the archetypical hypocrite.

She whines about violent protesters in autocratic regimes, such as Venezuela and now even Hong Kong (which is hilarious given that China runs reeducation camps for Muslims). At the same time she whines about police violence in France. It's the dumbest "West-bashing" you will ever witness.
Rugoz wrote:skinster is the archetypical hypocrite.

She whines about violent protesters in autocratic regimes, such as Venezuela and now even Hong Kong (which is hilarious given that China runs reeducation camps for Muslims). At the same time she whines about police violence in France. It's the dumbest "West-bashing" you will ever witness.

Deutschmania wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IVFK8sVdJNg&t=81s

For Rugoz's case, I think the problem here is the person being accused (skinster) had expressed two or more ideas that apparently contradict each other, and might have to make a case to reconcile this apparent contradiction.
Stop discussing Skinsterina already. We all know who she is and what she stands for.

Better discuss why are the Chinese positioning military police in Shenzen. Is it a stunt or are they really interested in moving them in? Probably it is a stunt, they can't be that stupid... What they have? Less than 10 thousand in that Stadium? Perhaps maximum 100 thousand in the whole area?(Probably a lot less) Well, that is nowhere near enough to face millions of protesters. There is more police in Hong Kong compared to the numbers shown for the military police that is on "Stand By". If they are going to roll in with those numbers then violence is bound to escalate. May be it is what they ultimately want?
JohnRawls wrote:Stop discussing Skinsterina already. We all know who she is and what she stands for.

Better discuss why are the Chinese positioning military police in Shenzen. Is it a stunt or are they really interested in moving them in? Probably it is a stunt, they can't be that stupid... What they have? Less than 10 thousand in that Stadium? Perhaps maximum 100 thousand in the whole area?(Probably a lot less) Well, that is nowhere near enough to face millions of protesters. There is more police in Hong Kong compared to the numbers shown for the military police that is on "Stand By". If they are going to roll in with those numbers then violence is bound to escalate. May be it is what they ultimately want?

I don't see the point in this. Not that they don't want to, just that it's apparently not very effective in deterrence. In fact the "escalating violence" thing has already been happening and we are telling them that we are unfazed. If they really don't care about international opinion they are actually free to evacuate the city of foreigners and patriots, and then either blockade the place (so that we starve to death), or throw an ICBM in. This is probably the only effective way to silence (annihilate) us.
If you had political unrest at your border then it would be prudent to have a presence. Any country would do the same. Textbook. They’re great at textbook, or at least ‘attempting’ textbook. What they really understand is numbers ;)

I have a new meme! “China, the Worlds Largest Calculator”
JohnRawls wrote: If they are going to roll in with those numbers then violence is bound to escalate. May be it is what they ultimately want?

They're delibrately attempting to intimidate the protestors and also to make it look like they're "doing something about it" in their stupid propaganda outlets which keep the Mainlanders indoctrinated.

We will see what happens.
A friend of my wife got back from the mainland (near hong kong). She said the protesters were well behaved. They even opened up a path to let her and her kids walk through to get to thier check-ins. Apparently the protestors apologized saying "sorry, but we have to do this."

I'm sure some of you here will call this lie. That's ok.
Rancid wrote:I'm sure some of you here will call this lie.

I recently found that this comment has a stronger ground if the presumed attacker has made the move first. From what I encountered last night, the attacker would start to spew lies within 1 hour of any truthful information released.
Patrickov wrote:I recently found that this comment has a stronger ground if the presumed attacker has made the move first. From what I encountered last night, the attacker would start to spew lies within 1 hour of any truthful information released.

I don't entirely understand this comment. Can you rephrase, or provide an example.

Rugoz wrote:Wake up. Your wife is a CIA agent.

:lol: :lol: :lol: It wasn't my wife. It was a friend of hers. You're right though, the CIA probably got to her!
JohnRawls wrote:Better discuss why are the Chinese positioning military police in Shenzen.

I think their role is to intimidate and inoculate Hong Kong. The mainland authorities can tolerate and manage individual, single issue protests but their biggest fear is that they'll spread and grow into a movement with broader goals than closing down a polluting factory or earning higher pay. Containing this movement within Hong Kong will be a top concern for Beijing.

It's also clear that the Hong Kong police are working very hard to prevent protesters from forming a permanent presence at any location. Occupy Central established the longest Occupy camp and the Yellow Umbrellas demanding universal suffrage maintained their camp for over a month. The airport occupation was an exciting development because it was reminiscent of the yellow shirt's storming of Bangkok's airport, which brought down Thailand's gov't.
Rugoz wrote:Wake up. Your wife is a CIA agent.

You might think that it is a joke but the hardcore mainlanders probably will consider her an "Agent of foreign influence".
Rancid wrote:I don't entirely understand this comment. Can you rephrase, or provide an example.

I mean it is unnecessary to put sentences like "Deniers will claim those are lies", because deniers will do this regardless of this statement. It is more satisfying to wait for them to strike and then throw all the abuse that they actually deserve.
Patrickov wrote:I mean it is unnecessary to put sentences like "Deniers will claim those are lies", because deniers will do this regardless of this statement. It is more satisfying to wait for them to strike and then throw all the abuse that they actually deserve.

Perhaps that is true. In this case, I don't care enough. I think the deniers are pretty obvious at this point.
(Update 20 Aug)

Lily Kuo wrote:Employee at UK's consulate in Hong Kong detained in China

An employee at the UK’s consulate in Hong Kong has been detained by mainland Chinese authorities on his way back to the city, his girlfriend has said.

Simon Cheng, 28, was returning from a trip in Shenzhen to his native Hong Kong on 8 August when his girlfriend, Li, stopped receiving communications from him.

A spokesman for the UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: “We are extremely concerned by reports that a member of our team has been detained returning to Hong Kong from Shenzhen … We are providing support to his family and seeking further information from authorities in Guangdong province and Hong Kong.”

Li said Cheng had messaged her just before he went silent. “Ready to pass through the border … pray for me,” he had written.

More than 10 days later, Li and Cheng’s family have not been able to get in touch with him. Li said Hong Kong immigration authorities had told her Cheng had been placed under “administrative detention” in mainland China in an unknown location and for unknown reasons.

The detention of Cheng, who works in the British consulate as a trade and investment officer for Scottish Development International, comes amid more than two months of pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong that have threatened Beijing’s authority over the city.

In a separate development on Tuesday, two police officers were arrested after video emerged of them beating an older man on a hospital trolley, heaping further pressure on a force already facing accusations of brutality.

The footage, recorded in late June, shows two uniformed officers assaulting the man with batons and holding a cloth over his mouth. There are no other people in the room as the officers abuse the patient over several minutes. Police said the man was under arrest at the time.

Cheng’s detention was first reported by the Hong Kong news site HK01. According to Li, he regularly travels to mainland China for meetings and had gone there most recently for work.

Hong Kong immigration officials said in an emailed statement that they had contacted the city’s liaison office in Guangdong province as well as the Hong Kong government “to understand the situation” and provide further assistance to the family.

Hong Kong has been rocked by mass protests triggered by a bill that would allow the extradition of suspects to mainland China. Cheng’s case further underlines fears of a lack of transparency and fairness in the mainland Chinese judicial system and the possibility that Hongkongers may be detained for political reasons.

Under administrative detention, under which authorities can detain and interrogate people for a broad number of offences, Cheng can be held for up to 15 days without charge. Human rights advocates say torture and other forms of ill treatment are common under this type of detention.

According to Li, Cheng had not participated in the protests or expressed his position on the movement in any public forums. “As far as I know, he did not attend any of the protests, even the 1 million march. I am just worried about him,” she said.

Li, who met Cheng while he was studying in Taiwan – where she is from – has been calling and writing to British, Chinese, and Hong Kong officials for help. “He grew up to be a very caring, diligent and hardworking person,” Li said. “Now, he is missing and detained for no reason. This is deeply distressing for his family and friends.”

Li said she and Cheng had discussed marriage, and possibly moving back to Taiwan, but Cheng wanted to remain in Hong Kong. “He said he loves Hong Kong and wanted to sacrifice all he has for his motherland.”

More than a million Hong Kong residents defied a police ban and poured into the streets on Sunday in a peaceful march, calling for the withdrawal of the extradition bill and other demands.

Hong Kong’s chief executive, Carrie Lam, said on Tuesday she would set up “a platform for dialogue” to tackle complaints against the police in the government’s first attempt at conciliation in weeks.

A rally in Cheng’s name has been called for outside the British consulate on Wednesday.

In recent weeks, Beijing has taken an increasingly hard line against the protests, which it has described as an attempt to start a “colour revolution”. Twitter blocked almost 1,000 accounts associated with the Chinese government on Monday while Facebook also removed seven pages, three groups and five accounts that originated in China.

China has repeatedly warned Britain – the former colonial ruler of Hong Kong – against “interference”.

Chinese immigration officials have increased checks at the border between mainland China and Hong Kong, detaining people and checking their phones and other devices.

The Guardian

While HK01 is widely alleged as a media found by closet pro-Beijing people, one cannot deny that they try to be as neutral as possible when it comes to editing.

China clearly does this because they fully understand that Boris Johnson is the same kind as them, a.k.a. jerks who only care about their own ass; while Jeremy Corbyn, as a leftard, is already their most loyal friend.

Had Britain been run by righteous people like Chris Patten we will instead see our saviour soon (one way or another, and I do mean both possible interpretations of the word "saviour")

P.S. Sorry if what I shared have been widely disregarded as lies. I actually believe these reports when I share them.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

A good discussion here with Norman Finkelstein and[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

ISIS wants to create a division between Chechens […]

PoFo would be a strange place for them to focus o[…]

In my opinion, masculinity has declined for all o[…]