EU-BREXIT - Page 213 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Nonsense
Rich wrote:That's a sick libel of our politicians, Wilson campaigned to stay in, I don't doubt for one moment that the Parliament would have fulfilled the pledge to stay in, if Remain had won like Wilson did.

I fail to see how 'libel' enters into it,however, WILSON's government recommended remaining in the community as I stated.

Given the above,of course they did 'fulfill' the 'pledge' on the result back then, the difference is, now that Labour are in opposition, they have no intention of fulfilling the election pledge to leave the E.U.

They seem unable to recognise the political damage to their party or the country, by way of their antics at frustrating Brexit, for which they are contributors, if not wholly responsible for the current situation.
By Kaiserschmarrn
Atlantis wrote:You should apply for a position as spin doctor with Cummings. Too bad they don't take foreigners, not even wannabe Anglos.

You are wrong that they don't employ "foreigners", but why on earth would you call me a wannabe Anglo? Is this the famed tolerance and openness of EU citizens I'm seeing here?

Cummings seems to be the new boogeyman, a bit like Steve Bannon used to be.
By JohnRawls
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:You are wrong that they don't employ "foreigners", but why on earth would you call me a wannabe Anglo? Is this the famed tolerance and openness of EU citizens I'm seeing here?

Cummings seems to be the new boogeyman, a bit like Steve Bannon used to be.

There are similarities between Bannon and Cummings. At least they understand that Boris Johnson and Donald Trump can be successful archytypes of sorts if steered in the right direction with a specific outlook. I am not saying this as a bad or good thing. The whole point of being an analyst/strategist/adviser to politicians is to help them be successful, no?
By Sivad
I am so stoked about hard brexit, it's gonna be awesome. None of the dire consequences predicted by the very serious babbitt dinks are gonna happen and I'm gonna be all over that, rubbing it in their stupid faces how they're totally wrong and full of shit about everything and how their whole worldview is fucking retarded. :lol:
By JohnRawls
Sivad wrote:I am so stoked about hard brexit, it's gonna be awesome. None of the dire consequences predicted by the very serious babbitt dinks are gonna happen and I'm gonna be all over that, rubbing it in their stupid faces how they're totally wrong and full of shit about everything and how their whole worldview is fucking retarded. :lol:

If that was true, Boris wouldn't need to panic about EU just not noticing him though. Also there is a question of the looming small to medium recession somewhere on the horizon.

If the no deal and the recession hit at the same time then it will be like getting Mike Tyson sucker punched out of nowhere. Because that is totally outside the no deal calculations or preparations. Can the UK keep its integrity in this situation?
By Kaiserschmarrn
JohnRawls wrote:There are similarities between Bannon and Cummings. At least they understand that Boris Johnson and Donald Trump can be successful archytypes of sorts if steered in the right direction with a specific outlook. I am not saying this as a bad or good thing. The whole point of being an analyst/strategist/adviser to politicians is to help them be successful, no?

Yes, they have/had some influence and there's nothing wrong with this, but they are often portrayed as some sinister force in the background pulling all the strings.

Ironically, Cummings himself wrote at length about how difficult and frustrating he found it to bring about change in policy. You could say it's one of his major themes.

Sivad wrote:I am so stoked about hard brexit, it's gonna be awesome. None of the dire consequences predicted by the very serious babbitt dinks are gonna happen and I'm gonna be all over that, rubbing it in their stupid faces how they're totally wrong and full of shit about everything and how their whole worldview is fucking retarded. :lol:

Don't jinx it. It's still possible that one side chickens out.

If there is a recession, it will have at least as much to do with the world economy and the EU/Eurozone being weak as well. I'm actually less worried about Britain than the Eurozone when it comes to that.
By Rich
i have to say its really great to see Jeremy Corbyn and the financial times coming together on this one.
By snapdragon
Corbyn just wants to be PM.

He doesn't have a hope in hell and neither does his version of a GNU. Not even all of his own party will vote for him to lead it, let alone any of the opposition.
By Atlantis
If you can't control events, you must at least try to control the narrative.

Get ready for the deluge of short video messages pouring out from spin-master Cummings:

:lol:
By Rich
Just to note that Boris Johnson seems to be settling into number 10 nicely. He came into the all time Brit greatest charts at number 55. He's got to last another 93 days to over take George Caning. Even if doesn't last that far, its still a great personal achievement. Boris has played the politcal game masterfully, always putting self first, party second and country third.

I will tolerate no complaining towards Boris. Address your complaints to the British electorate, because they are 100% responsible for the elevation of Boris to the supreme position of British politics. Boris has played the game according to the rules accepted by the British electorate. If the electorate are unhappy about their leaders they need to demand changes to the rules of the game.

I myself would like to see 3 changes.

1 MPs, not to have to take the oath of allegiance to the monarch.
2 one Annual election for everything, the West Minister Parliament, local and regional government and, if we remain or rejoin, the EU parliament.
3 Proportional Representation.

Now these are my preferences, you are free to ignore or reject them. However unless you are willing to demand these as a priority, then I'm not willing to tolerate whining about the British Parliament responding poorly to the will of the British people. If you have 5 year parliaments, deeply unproportional representation that hinders the emergence of new parties and force Republican MPs into a humiliating lie as their first act, then of course you will not get democracy that is honest or responds timely or accurately to the will of the electorate.

So far, six and a half years on, David Cameron's brilliant decision to promise an EU referendum in 2013 is still working out well for the Tories. some people have said that May should have followed Boris's strategy and she could have stayed in power, but Boris's strategy is only viable for him, because of the May years. Its only May's premiership and the disastrous Tory EU elections result, that has allowed Boris to follow this strategy. There has been a suggestion that Boris deliberately didn't win the 2016 Tory leadership election. May's premiership is a wonderful act to follow, as Carter's presidency was wonderful act for Ronald Reagan to follow.
By SolarCross
@Rich

If they don't swear allegience to the monarch then they have no right to pass laws on her land. It is that they serve her majesty is the only reason anyone respects them. You want to demote parliament to an institution with all the power and relevance of a random golf club. :lol:
By Beren
snapdragon wrote:Corbyn just wants to be PM.

And he will, especially if no-deal Brexit happens. He should actually support it. :lol:
By JohnRawls
Boris visiting Merkel and then Macron.

By snapdragon
Beren wrote:And he will, especially if no-deal Brexit happens. He should actually support it. :lol:

I haven't the faintest idea what he supports. He's all over the place.

He doesn't have any chance of becoming PM.

Corbynism has sadly become a cult and he's about useful as Izal toilet paper ( which will doubtless be making a comeback after a no deal Brexit)
By Tainari88
SolarCross wrote:@Rich

If they don't swear allegience to the monarch then they have no right to pass laws on her land. It is that they serve her majesty is the only reason anyone respects them. You want to demote parliament to an institution with all the power and relevance of a random golf club. :lol:

Give up the monarchy SolarCross it is over. God Save the Queen is really about God save us from greed and lies in politics in the UK...

You sin verguenza. :lol:
By Beren
snapdragon wrote:I haven't the faintest idea what he supports.

He supports a soft Brexit deal (you'd leave the political union only) and a referendum about it, which has been the most reasonable idea so far. It's not so spectacular and "charismatic" though as being a hard Leaver or Remainer is.
By snapdragon
Beren wrote:He supports a soft Brexit deal (you'd leave the political union only) and a referendum about it, which has been the most reasonable idea so far. It's not so spectacular and "charismatic" though as being a hard Leaver or Remainer is.

Not exactly. He wants to negotiate a new deal of his own and let us vote on that.

To do that he has to win an election and then manage to negotiate a new deal.

(Edit: that's this month, anyway)

Great german commentary: https://www.nachdenkseite[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

is it you , Moscow Marjorie ? https://exte[…]

This year, Canada spent more paying interest on it[…]

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachment[…]