Vast protest in Hong Kong against extradition law - Page 29 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

@skinster I can assure you I’m not racist. This is a thread about HK so I shared tidbits of my actual experiences across China thus far because I actually live in China. My fiancé is Chinese. Despite everything I mentioned about seeing for myself, I don’t think Chinese are inherently like that because I’m not a racist. It’s entirely a matter of culture and lack of education.

To be honest, I don’t see anyone else being racist about China here either. It’s perfectly valid to discuss Chinese culture, even negative aspects of it or experiences with it, in a thread relating to China and HK. I’m just as likely to discuss negative things relating to America in a thread where discussing American culture isn’t really off topic.

@colliric I've seen some bike piles but it really depends on which city and which area. In Xujiahui and Jing’an districts of Shanghai, I would have to navigate through fucking piles of unused app bikes just to go home. Here in Guangzhou there’s much less of that bullshit. I mostly noticed it in Shanghai. In HK I don’t think it’s a problem though.

@AFAIK The bigger problem is how a lot of people treat the sidewalk like a sewer. I’ve seen people use trashcans as a toilet at the train station when a bathroom wasn’t that far away. It’s sometimes beyond belief.

@ness31 Click the “like” button on my post to remove the like. I don’t want you associated with liking poop.
Oh no, I'm being demonized by a Zionist, save me! :lol:

Really wish some of you pro protesters would like report the OP topic since it's an ongoing event, instead of forever whining because I have a different opinion. I'm already bored of it, so it's likely really boring for people reading this thread, trying to learn about the issue, and seeing this repeated nonsense from crybabies upset that someone on the internet has a different viewpoint. You're not going to shame me away from my opinion and you're not going to scare me away from posting it either, so really, fuck off with that shit already, I'm so yawny zzzz. :lol:

Zionist Nationalist wrote:CIA just jumped on the opportunity but the people have raised their voice you cannot ignore millions of protesters and claim its all CIA doing

:eh:
I've never once claimed it's all CIA's doing.
Last edited by skinster on 24 Aug 2019 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
There is CIA involvement in the protests for obvious reasons, but it’s implausible to suggest it's not mostly a legitimate reaction to an extraordinary lack of respect on Beijing’s part to the agreement on integrating HK. Anyone watching, who knows anything about the proposed extradition bill, and who has any inkling of politics can’t pretend they think it’s about a murder.
skinster wrote:How is CIA involvement in the Hong Kong protests a threat to Chinese sovereignty? Is this is a real question?

As I said, the questions should be:
1. How does China deserve sovereignty when it is proven they cannot exercise it properly?
2. What's wrong when someone offers help to us when we cannot otherwise defend ourselves?

Sovereignty is not worth it if human rights has to be trampled underneath.

Updates will be provided later. AFAIK there are two today.
Bulaba Jones wrote:There is CIA involvement in the protests for obvious reasons, but it’s implausible to suggest it's not mostly a legitimate reaction to an extraordinary lack of respect on Beijing’s part to the agreement on integrating HK. Anyone watching, who knows anything about the proposed extradition bill, and who has any inkling of politics can’t pretend they think it’s about a murder.

Yeah, the CIA cares for the interests of the people of Hong Kong now and not its own/those of the U.S. Good one. :lol:
skinster wrote:Yeah, the CIA cares for the interests of the people of Hong Kong now and not its own/those of the U.S. Good one. :lol:

The CIA doesn’t care about them. How could you possibly read my post and think that?
Elson Tong wrote:British consulate staffer Simon Cheng returns to Hong Kong after China detention

British Consulate-General employee Simon Cheng has returned to Hong Kong after two weeks of "administrative detention" in mainland China.

A Facebook page run by Cheng’s family confirmed the news and thanked everyone for their support: “Simon and his family wish to have some time to rest and recover, and will not take any interview for the moment.” The UK has welcomed his release.

The 28-year-old, a trade and investment officer at the Scottish Development International section of the consulate, attended a business event in Shenzhen on August 8 via the Lo Wu control point. But he never returned to the city despite a prior plan to come back the same day on the Express Rail Link, his girlfriend said.

The family’s message on Saturday morning urged media and friends to give them time and space, adding that they will explain more later.

According to state-backed tabloid Global Times, Shenzhen police confirmed this release.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office told HKFP that they will continue to support Cheng’s family: “We welcome the release of Simon Cheng and are delighted that he can be reunited with his family. We will continue to provide support to them… Simon and his family have requested privacy and we would be grateful if this is respected.”

On Wednesday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said Cheng had been “placed in administrative detention for 15 days as punishment” by Shenzhen police for breaking a public security law.

However, Global Times claimed that his detention was due to visiting a prostitute – a claim which his family denied.

Mainland authorities have jurisdiction in parts of the West Kowloon terminal following the implementation of the co-location agreement in 2018.

Cheng is a Hong Kong permanent resident who had studied at National Taiwan University in Taiwan and London School of Economics in the UK before returning to the city. It is unclear if Cheng holds a diplomatic passport and what documents he used to enter China.

HKFP has reached out to the UK consulate for comment.

From Hong Kong Free Press

1. Because of the concealed nature of sexual activities, they are often used as fabrications of accusations against dissidents. I am sure that if the accusation is true he will be disowned by his family, but it didn't happen.
  2. There were cases that China forced their victims to sign some kind of "Letter of Remorse" before releasing them. Lee Cheuk-yan, a prominent democracy and labour movement in Hong Kong, was widely criticised by bowing in to this threat when he's arrested in China 30 years ago, for supporting the Tiananmen Square democracy movement. I worry that Mr. Cheng was coerced into similar arrangements.
  3. As we can see, only the embassy itself expressed concern, while the British higher-orders made no intervention despite Mr. Cheng officially works for them. Says a lot on how China-fearing both Johnson and Corbyn are.
Today's protest is in Kwun Tong, a traditionally industrial but currently transforming into more commercial area in eastern Kowloon.

Accounts varied on the protesters' use of force. Hong Kong Free Press suggested that the protesters only threw bamboo poles or rocks, while the more pro-Beijing China Daily said that there were protesters throwing Molotov's Cocktail. New York Times included the Molotov Cocktail claim but the Guardian and CNN didn't.

All sources agree that the police used tear gas to disperse the crowd. Meanwhile, Hong Kong Free Press reported, with photo evidence, that a person was hit by the police bullet in the left eye. Looks like another round of asking the police "for an eye" is looming.

According to the government-owned but publicly run RTHK, MTR admitted closing station before the protest while shipping police exclusively.

Tomorrow's protest will be in Tsuen Wan, my home district. The rally's route will render my home closed off to outside connection, and my family, while being ardent protesters supporters, advised me (and themselves of course) not to participate, as they believe that the police are no longer acting upon reason.
John Pilger nails the big problem with Western obsession over Hong Kong protests
Veteran journalist John Pilger has spoken out about the obsession in the mainstream press with the current protests in Hong Kong. In particular, he believes it has highlighted a narrow and biased media focus on what is a priority for Western economic and political elites. And this means that the establishment media is essentially sidelining other situations that don’t fall within that focus.

In an interview with Going Underground, Pilger said:

"The news is dominated by Hong Kong. And yet 29 miles from England is France; and this extraordinary rebellion of the ‘yellow jackets’ – which has produced the most equally extraordinary violence from the state – has been virtually ignored. The same is true of Kashmir."

He continued by arguing that:

"...many journalists have simply given up. There is a so-called mainstream… that is not a mainstream at all. It is an agency of extreme economic policies."

Why is there so much focus on Hong Kong?
The yellow vest protests in France have been going on for around 40 weeks. One activist previously told The Canary that the protests have represented a “deep critique of modern capitalist society”. And as the recent video below shows, there has been a violent response from the French authorities:

However, as Pilger suggested, these protests haven’t received as much coverage as the Hong Kong protests have in recent days.

He explained that US dominance in the world is a priority for US elites, but especially for the current Trump administration:

"...they see a challenge in China… Undoubtedly it’s an economic challenge, but it’s not a military challenge. This 19th century view of the world that permeates Washington and has returned to this country, the United Kingdom, has now created a war situation with China."

He admitted that there are legitimate reasons for popular unrest in Hong Kong, saying:

"The reason that there is a rebellion in China is complex, of course. Largely, the people in Hong Kong do have a grievance. There is an inequality."

But he also spoke of US interference, stressing that:

"The interference in Hong Kong… by the US, through the National Endowment for Democracy, through its local agents… who make regular pilgrimages to [US national security advisor] John Bolton – of course, they are part of the war on China."

Be aware
The Grayzone has reported in detail on the presence of US interference in Hong Kong, and of right-wing forces within the protests. But that doesn’t mean we should sideline what Pilger called the genuine ‘grievances’ of the population in Hong Kong. Because the Chinese government is certainly no saint, as The Canary has highlighted previously.

However, we must be completely aware of the unspoken bias in the mainstream media. Because while we’d rightly expect balanced reporting from supposedly objective media outlets, that’s just not what we get. It’s simply the case that, for the Western establishment media, not all protests are equal. It all seems to depend on what their governments’ priorities are at any given time.

And that’s something we need to be fully aware of.
https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2019/ ... -protests/

Bulaba Jones wrote:The CIA doesn’t care about them. How could you possibly read my post and think that?

Not really sure how to read it. Want to rephrase it?
skinster wrote:https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1165268077602168832?s=20

Not really sure how to read it. Want to rephrase it?

Whoever saying the mainstream media "biased" is ignorant to the fact that the Chinese authorities is the single biggest sinner of biased reporting. One should take that into account before accusing the others.

Similarly, Carl Zha is at best stupid, and probably a pro-China troll. I don't hesitate to compare the Chinese authorities to Nazis and predicts their downfall to be similar to how Nazis (or Germany in a bigger sense) lost the World War.
@skinster For once I agree with Pilger. We should definitely being supporting both the French yellow vests and the HK protesters. The Western media isn’t as professional as it could be.

However, the whole idea of both these protests is to challenge governments to be accountable for their actions. This is much more easily achieved in France than in China. Macron will go with the next election but Xi will be there until he dies of old age or gets thrown out.
Rancid wrote:This goes back to my earlier point about these type of people having no spine because they are not forthright with their true intentions/desires. If these people just came out and said "we hate the anything the US does or supports" rather than masquerade in false pretenses like "anti-imperialism" or "human rights", I would have far more respect for them.

I think they just found a nice little political niche to exploit and they get off on sticking it to the establishment. It has nothing to do with principled opposition to imperialism or a fundamental commitment to human rights. They're just posers who like playing at dissident politics.
Zionist Nationalist wrote: you cannot ignore millions of protesters and claim its all CIA doing

No, you can do that. You can be totally dishonest, you can go all obtuse, call people racists and conspiracy theorists, you can just make shit up, you can lie and distort and bullshit and disinform, and if you fully commit you can trick a lot of unsavvy people who haven't quite figured out that some people are just crazy fucking liars with no fucking scruples that'll say anything to sell whatever narrative suits their agenda.
I just had an idea in my mind. Why don't the protesters in Hong Kong start saying something like "Yeah, we are part of Taiwan now" and then go and try to negotiate a deal for full autonomy with them. Would be interesting if this is possible one way or the other. China can't say that this is illegal because for them Taiwan is part of China.
JohnRawls wrote:I just had an idea in my mind. Why don't the protesters in Hong Kong start saying something like "Yeah, we are part of Taiwan now" and then go and try to negotiate a deal for full autonomy with them. Would be interesting if this is possible one way or the other. China can't say that this is illegal because for them Taiwan is part of China.

The protesters aren't unified by a common ideology or movement which makes this kind of concentrated goal rather implausible to organize.

If some protester started out screaming that they want to be a part of Taiwan you'd get some very weird looks. This requires understanding and negotiation between the protesters so their on the same page.

@Potemkin and @ingliz have we discussed what t[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hopefully, we will all get what we deserve. Frie[…]

My take from this discussion is that @QatzelOk w[…]

Semafor. :lol: The Intercept :lol: