Obese America - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By MistyTiger
Godstud wrote:Fasting for about 16 hours isn't bad for you. It's as simple as eating your last meal before 6 PM and not eating the following day til around 10 AM.

The myth about sleeping in a cool place and getting sick is a myth.

Well, my mom coughs when the air is cold. I cough too. And I used to get bad cramps when they turned up the AC. My body thrives on heat, even humidity. Now though, the cold does not bother my stomach, probably because I can regulate my internal heat due to my increased level of exercise.
By Hindsite
MistyTiger wrote:Haha. I am not surprised. I remember you talking about that busty blonde photo you have. :lol:

I am not dead yet. ;)
By Hindsite
MistyTiger wrote:I know that. You are way too chatty. ;)

You are being too nice.
By Verv
MistyTiger wrote:Well, my mom coughs when the air is cold. I cough too. And I used to get bad cramps when they turned up the AC. My body thrives on heat, even humidity. Now though, the cold does not bother my stomach, probably because I can regulate my internal heat due to my increased level of exercise.

I used to think that this sort of thing was not just possible, but also common. I am not so positive anymore because I meet enough people from the southern hemisphere who worship the AC, and the only reason that they do not run it constantly is the prohibitive cost.

I think it may be the case that some people are more highly impacted by temperature changes in general, in a very literal sense.
By Godstud
Yes, I used to think that temperature change was a thing, but after having lived with extremely hot weather and air conditioning, I pretty much believe this to be a perception... as in, "It's all in your head.".

This is more the case:
In a 2010 study, Columbia University's Jeffrey Shaman and his colleagues compared 30 years' worth of climate records to health records. They determined that flu epidemics almost always followed a drop in air humidity. Their evidence was reviewed in a 2015 Journal of Infection study, and replicated again in a 2009 analysis of the Swine flu pandemic. The research paints a pretty compelling (if not graphic) picture of how and why dry air fosters this kind of cold and flu free-for-all: When there's moisture in the air, the particles we release from our noses and mouths when we cough and sneeze stay large, but in dry air, they break into tiny pieces that can stay suspended in the environment for hours or even days, creating a super gross, virus-filled cloud for us to inhale.
https://health.howstuffworks.com/diseas ... e-sick.htm

I think this is one reason why flights tend to get people sick, as the pressurized air is often very dry.
By MistyTiger
Hindsite wrote:You are being too nice.

Noooo. I am not too nice. Being considered too nice is very bad in my book.

@Verv @Godstud I believe that temperature change affects health. People are more likely to get sick during the winter especially after fall turns to winter and the body has to acclimate to the change. Some people have a hard time adjusting to it than others.
By Verv
You know, the shape of the nose can affect whether or not one gets a sinus infection. Having smaller sinus cavities means that you are more likely to just be perpetually sniffing all winter.

I think that some people view sniffling as a sign of sickness, but I am not sure. Sometimes it's just a persistent thing that means it's December.
By Hindsite
MistyTiger wrote:Noooo. I am not too nice. Being considered too nice is very bad in my book.

Sorry, I did not mean to offend you.
Can you ever forgive me?
By Godstud
MistyTiger wrote:@Verv @Godstud I believe that temperature change affects health. People are more likely to get sick during the winter especially after fall turns to winter and the body has to acclimate to the change. Some people have a hard time adjusting to it than others.
You are free to believe that, but there is no actual evidence, aside from stories people tell, to support this. Facts don't support this "belief". :D

Yep, sniffing doesn't necessarily mean illness, @Verv. For a few weeks every year I get the sniffles, but I know that's due to a particular tree that is pollinating around that time. Other than a runny nose, at that time, I'm absolutely healthy.
Last edited by Godstud on 14 Sep 2019 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
By Hindsite
Godstud wrote:You are free to believe that, but there is no actual evidence, aside from stories people tell, to support this. Facts don't support this "belief". :D

You misquoted me. I did not write that. I am not a medical doctor either
By Godstud
My mistake. I fixed it.
By MistyTiger
Hindsite wrote:Sorry, I did not mean to offend you.
Can you ever forgive me?

I forgive you. I was not offended, just going through shit at work. My manager thinks she can pile on random tasks on me because I am nice. But really, they never consult me before giving me the tasks. That is very offensive and insulting. I hope to leave by December.
By Verv
Godstud wrote:You are free to believe that, but there is no actual evidence, aside from stories people tell, to support this. Facts don't support this "belief". :D

Yep, sniffing doesn't necessarily mean illness, @Verv. For a few weeks every year I get the sniffles, but I know that's due to a particular tree that is pollinating around that time. Other than a runny nose, at that time, I'm absolutely healthy.

The human body is pretty mysterious and amazing.

Sometimes it can survive sixteen gun shots -- sometimes it can be killed by peanut butter.
By Hindsite
MistyTiger wrote:I forgive you. I was not offended, just going through shit at work. My manager thinks she can pile on random tasks on me because I am nice. But really, they never consult me before giving me the tasks. That is very offensive and insulting. I hope to leave by December.

My wife told me about that feeling when she had the title of Administrative Assistant. Thanks for not being angry with me. My wife angrily tells me that I have a poor sense of humor. :(
By MistyTiger
Hindsite wrote:My wife told me about that feeling when she had the title of Administrative Assistant. Thanks for not being angry with me. My wife angrily tells me that I have a poor sense of humor. :(

Awww. It is ok. I know that for me, finding humor in life is difficult. I had to train myself to see it or feel it. And there are different kinds of humor.

Assistant jobs can be thankless and hectic. Awful.
By Stormsmith
Misty Tiger:

You really should try eating one or two apple peels. I like apples, but I usually give them to the horses. The magic is in the peel.
By Hindsite
Stormsmith wrote:Misty Tiger:

You really should try eating one or two apple peels. I like apples, but I usually give them to the horses. The magic is in the peel.

Now you have made me hungry for an apple. But I am not going to just eat the peel. :lol:
By MistyTiger
Stormsmith wrote:Misty Tiger:

Ah. I never heard of that. I am careful about eating acidic fruit at night. Years ago, I would eat a cold apple and then I would throw up, really upset my stomach. I think my stomach is stronger but I still try not to eat cold apples at night, needs to be lukewarm.

@FiveofSwords On e again, you fail to provide […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

…. the left puts on the gas pedal and the right […]

@QatzelOk DeSantis got rid of a book showing chi[…]