What should parents teach their kids. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
interesting thread. I never would have thought of it. I am a grandparent and recently spent time with my 13 year old grand daughter. Sweetest example of sweet innocence you could imagine. She has no idea of the tests and challenges this insane asylum called earth has in store for her. I thought, "What can I do to prepare/protect her?" I tried to give her advice/advance warning. We covered 3 areas: I advised her to be very careful who she choose to marry (if at all). I said that this is a good place to make a bad mistake. Moving along to debt, I advised a debt free life. Finally, be very careful who you associate with. My friends cover a very wide spectrum: from ex cons to Baptist preachers. The common thread is …. a good heart.

Marijuana? I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. Let her parents tackle that one. There is entirely too much hysterical nonsense surrounding the subject. I have known hundreds of pot heads and never heard of any of them beating their wives (or husbands), tossing babies out of 5th floor windows of crashing cars into store fronts. I think that type of behavior is more dependent on who you hang with than what they smoke or don't smoke.

I sit under the stars every evening with one beer, a bowel of weed and a Parodi. I watch the stars and have recently taken to photographing what I see. ^ I don't think you will be reading about me in the media. I have smoked for half a century and dashed, run and jogged enough to circle the globe 2 1/2 times at the equator and worked for decades to reach a comfortable retirement.

The pharmacy industry took note in the1930's of the medical effects of marijuana of which we are only now learning …. calming, pain reduction, sleep enhancement and more. They don't like competition and, accordingly, launched into a campaign to fix in the public mind that marijuana was a killer drug from hell. The U.S. government to this day has marijuana in the same category as heroin. :eek:

jimjam wrote:interesting thread. I never would have thought of it. I am a grandparent and recently spent time with my 13 year old grand daughter. Sweetest example of sweet innocence you could imagine. She has no idea of the tests and challenges this insane asylum called earth has in store for her. I thought, "What can I do to prepare/protect her?" I tried to give her advice/advance warning. We covered 3 areas: I advised her to be very careful who she choose to marry (if at all). I said that this is a good place to make a bad mistake. Moving along to debt, I advised a debt free life. Finally, be very careful who you associate with. My friends cover a very wide spectrum: from ex cons to Baptist preachers. The common thread is …. a good heart.

Marijuana? I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. Let her parents tackle that one. There is entirely too much hysterical nonsense surrounding the subject. I have known hundreds of pot heads and never heard of any of them beating their wives (or husbands), tossing babies out of 5th floor windows of crashing cars into store fronts. I think that type of behavior is more dependent on who you hang with than what they smoke or don't smoke.

I sit under the stars every evening with one beer, a bowel of weed and a Parodi. I watch the stars and have recently taken to photographing what I see. ^ I don't think you will be reading about me in the media. I have smoked for half a century and dashed, run and jogged enough to circle the globe 2 1/2 times at the equator and worked for decades to reach a comfortable retirement.

The pharmacy industry took note in the1930's of the medical effects of marijuana of which we are only now learning …. calming, pain reduction, sleep enhancement and more. They don't like competition and, accordingly, launched into a campaign to fix in the public mind that marijuana was a killer drug from hell. The U.S. government to this day has marijuana in the same category as heroin. :eek:

I voted to legalize it because I think it is useless to ban its use when the majority of the consumers are not crazy individuals who act crazy. But personally? Never had it not even once.

I associate it with my older Aunt. Whom I hated as a child. She was an abusive, mean woman and violent and cruel. Hated her. And she loved reefer.

So in my mind? Smell of weed? Mean spiteful woman who loved to abuse little kids and cower them. That is my personal experience of that smell. I told my mother once what she did and she never left me in her older sister's care ever again. I can't stand her to this very day.

Whoever is mean for no good reason to little kids because they have power over them? I hate. And she was that way. She had a bad personality.

I don't think the weed was the reason Jimjam. But she used it regularly. And acted worse afterwards.
This thread is intensely heated.

I never liked smoking or alcohol. The smell always irritated my nose and lungs so I would cough. I think vaping is a horrible trend too. The e-cigs look interesting and the smoke can smell pleasant enough, but I knew that it was still smoking. Seeing people blow smoke out of their nose and mouth is a big turnoff for me. It just looks wrong.

I would never judge people for their vices, I have mine, but I would tell my future kids about the consequences. I would even show them visuals of the damage that the bad habits can do on a human body.
Tainari88 wrote:I

This is a tad off topic but I hope the mods give it a pass.
Ms. T88 …………….. you love to dance …….. This seems quite danceable although a bit different. It even got my feet moving... here is the best musical talent I have discovered this year...…….

https://youtu.be/n0IKwdfiL24?list=RDDVrTf5yOW5s
jimjam wrote:This is a tad off topic but I hope the mods give it a pass.
Ms. T88 …………….. you love to dance …….. This seems quite danceable although a bit different. It even got my feet moving... here is the best musical talent I have discovered this year...…….

https://youtu.be/n0IKwdfiL24?list=RDDVrTf5yOW5s

I tell you jimjam that was highly enjoyable. i love that sound of the banjo and that fiddler with the bass player was masterful. Great music. Thank you darling jimjam.

My little boy snuck into my room last night and fell asleep next to me and now he is lounging around sleeping on a Sunday til his heart's content and not even promises of scrambled eggs in butter and waffles makes him want to get up to face the day.

I love children so much Jimjam. They are humanity's hope. But they depend on us the adults for a secure future. Let us live a good life so we can protect them long enough for them to get their chance in the sun and to change the world for the better eh?

Big kiss jimjam. You got beautiful grandkids.
Tainari88 wrote:Big kiss jimjam

Big kiss accepted …….. :eek: . I apologize for my knee jerk response in defense of Mary Jane.
When I was a kid I got high. After spending 20 years in the Navy, though, it lost any allure it may have once had.

After 35 years, I quit smoking in 2012. My daughter grew up watching my ex and I smoke, so I guess it was no great surprise that she ended up a smoker, too. She just recently quit using Chantix. She says she feels better and her wallet stays a little fatter. The price of cigarettes is stupid. In 1981, when my ship would go to sea, I could buy a carton of Marlboro of $4. You can't even get a pack for that now.

Smoking anything is bad. Cigarettes, weed, even vaping; none of them are healthy for you. I'm not saying there aren't medicinal aspects of marijuana, but recreational use is harmful...
Rancid wrote:How much is a carton these days? $4 is 1981 is $11.29 today.

I neglected to mention that the cigarettes I bought aboard ship were called "sea store" cigarettes. We couldn't buy them until we were in international waters. There were no taxes on them whatsoever.

I see packs of cigarettes in the gas stations here for anywhere between $6 and $7. If you buy them in a bar they can be as high as $10 a pack.

Ten packs to a carton...
Children must be taught to be nice to others while also standing up for their personal honour. Compassion, empathy and love for others are very important. At the same time there must be defence of family name and personal integrity. It's very important. Children must be taught to love their religion and their homeland but not to extremist levels. Love other peoples and nations and wish the best for them, fight for them and treat them as brothers, but never discount one's own.

There has to be a sense of maintaining the honour of one's ancestors and the family. This is exceedingly important. This does not mean prowess in career or aquisition of money but rather bravery, chivalry, moral integrity etc.

Selfishness should be discouraged and sense of duty should be encouraged.

But love from parents to children must be abundant and completely unconditional.
Parents should teach their children to respect others, no matter how different they might be. They should teach their children to respect their elders.

They should teach their children responsibility, and that work comes before play. Organization is something that is very important to teach children, as some of the most successful people might not be the brightest or most ingenious, but they are often the most organized. These things are easy to instill in children, if you start at an early age.

I am teaching my son the values I consider important, such as being generous, polite, and helpful to others. He is learning, from a young age, to always ask for things, respect other people, and to try to be a good person.

My mother taught me that a well disciplined child is a well loved child. Children who are helpful with adults are treated much differently than those who are not. That self-discipline also helps the children later in life, and since parents are teaching children how to one day be successful and happy adults, these things are important.

If you can teach your children a few languages, I think that also gives them a leg-up.

Also, teaching your children emotional maturity is important. Teaching them that it's OK to cry when you have your feelings hurt, but not when you didn't get something you wanted, is important. I taught my step-son that, and he now stops and thinks about why he's crying and I've actually seen him suddenly stop himself, as he realizes the reason. Self-awareness isn't a bad thing to learn at a young age, either. :)

Teaching your kids about drugs and the dangers, along with responsible use when they are old enough, is important. Education is always important.

I think SSDR had a bad childhood, if I remember properly. That can change, drastically, how a person views things. :hmm:

@Sivad You're just trolling... :lol:
My daughter is a happy, successful 34 year old woman, and I like to think my ex and I raised her right.

Jessy (my daughter) was taught to treat people with respect until such time as that person showed they were no longer deserving of respect. She was taught that skin color is pretty much unimportant in whether or not someone is a good person. She was taught that everyone's got something to offer, and that those who think they don't just need help finding what it is.

She was taught that the New York Mets were the world's greatest baseball team, and she believed that until she realized, sometime around when she graduated from high school, that the last time the Mets won the World Series she was five months old.

As she got older she was taught how to cook by us giving her free reign in the kitchen one night a week to make the family dinner. Sometimes it was God-awful, which is when we taught her the value of being appreciative when others do for you.

In her late teens she was taught what she should expect from a gentleman wishing to date her. She was also taught how to fight with a knife, where to punch someone to unquestionably drop them, and that knees only bend one way. She was taught how to change a tire and build a fire. She was taught that humor is appropriate in almost any situation and that laughing at a funeral is perfectly fine. She was taught how to balance a checkbook and the importance of an active savings account. She was taught that the decisions she made in her life would come with either reward or consequence, and that she would bear the sole responsibility for either.

My ex-wife, for all her faults, was a wonderful mother and tough as nails, and I can't imagine having had a daughter with anyone else. I spent a good deal of time on some overseas assignments during my career and I'm lucky to have been married to someone who was so devoted to teaching our daughter many of the things she would need to know as an adult.

If I had a son, I'd have taught him how to shine his shoes and tie a necktie. I would teach him how to shave with a straight-razor and how to comb his hair. I would teach him why the man always walks closest to the curb. I would teach him that there are two things a woman never touches on a date: the door and the check.

All in all, though, I'm glad my child-raising days are behind me.
Oh amazing this makes sense. Thanks so much! Today, I’ll have to write dissertation all night, because I put off writing all year. I am trying to write an dissertation essay on the topic of behavioral economics, which is now very well-known and it seems to me more and more discussed. I read the books of Kahneman and others, but I can’t structure my thoughts properly. Therefore, I want to buy dissertation online at best dissertation writing service for me. I heard a lot of good reviews about this service, about the professionalism of employees and quality work. What do you think about this?
My thought isn't first what one should be taught but how should such things be taught in the first place? How do we raise virtuous people in a world which operates on utilitarianism in actuality.
https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/pdfs/flourishing.pdf
When Economics builds its science on the assumption of an independent, individual economic agent who makes decisions to maximise their own utility they take as given a society in which the norms of Utilitarianism are universal. In the event that the subjects of a community do not act as individuals maximising their own utility, then the science fails. But perhaps more importantly, governments and firms which make policy on the basis of economic science, and therefore Utilitarian ethics, are acting so as to foster this ethos in the community, with all the consequences in terms of inequality and social disintegration.

My suspicion is to have some kind of community which fosters certain values as an inherent good to pursue within it which they then take as not just a property of the practice but as part of pursuing a decent life.
The values aren't mere moral maxims said to a child but are an integral part of one's day to day life.
https://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1926/educational-psychology/ch12.htm

And what they must be helped in doing is resisting bad behaviour and seeing the appeal in the good. Because to be honest or generous isn't merely saying something that is true or giving something to another person, it is based in a predicament of your own desires to do the wrong thing or the right thing but pursuing excellently that which is right.
https://epochemagazine.org/a-problem-based-reading-of-nussbaums-virtue-ethics-4cacfa3e74d6
There is no claim here that individual virtues are positive, determinate phenomena (admitting of clean conceptual definition), instead it is the problems that are real (as the ‘grounding experiences’), and the virtue merely denotes the ‘ideal solution’ in a case by case basis. Thus, there are as many kinds of generosity as there are problematic situations calling for ‘generous’ conduct. Such an ‘ideal solution’, or set of proximate solutions, is implied by the very presence and apprehension of problems qua problems. It’s not that ‘generosity’ precedes there being problems requiring ‘generous’ conduct, it’s that there is a particular class of problems that inhere in life that, being problems, call us to action. The name for acting excellently towards this particular class of problems is ‘generosity’.

A number of conditions need to hold for this (encountering a problem calling for ‘generosity’) to arise: firstly, this problem is related to the division of property with others (as this is why the term ‘generosity’ makes an appearance, and not ‘magnanimity’, or ‘courage’), secondly, this division strikes us as problematic, engendering a choice between competing motivations, or outcomes.

When I make a gift to my little brother of suits that no longer fit me, knowing that they’ll fit him and that he’d appreciate the gift, I have not really overcome a ‘problem’. I had no use nor desire for them. There was no problem at all, and thus no generosity strictly speaking. Generosity is only needful when I feel my desire for this thing of mine conflict with my recognition that it would be appreciated or needed more by others (or some other recognition that basically turns my possession and distribution of the thing, vis-à-vis others, into a problem for me). We first need to have this recognition in order to experience the conflict that underlies the problem, the ‘excellent’ solution of which is termed ‘generosity’ (because this particular problem involves the distribution of our possessions among others, it is ‘native’ to that sphere of human ‘drama’).

It is not enough for me, when this problem arises, to remind myself of the maxim ‘be generous’, which I then interpret to universally mean ‘give away the thing that I want’, because excellence of conduct vis-à-vis this problem in this situation may not call for ‘generosity’ to be interpreted in this way (for example, in the distribution of attention and time between multiple people). In fact, from this perspective, this style of rational deliberation is entirely back to front. ‘Generosity’ is not a form of conduct I consult to match with my action when I encounter a problem, the form of conduct to be called ‘generosity’ is engendered by my overcoming of this problem excellently (and only I and those involved here in this predicament ultimately know what this consists in exactly). I don’t need the name of the virtue, or what others or I believe it entails (though this may provide assistance), merely intuit, when greeted with a problem, that there is some maximally ideal solution (notice, not necessarily “perfect”), given the situation, and things and actors within it. And, such an intuition is cooked into the very idea of encountering a problem as problem in the first place.

But why would someone wish to do the right thing, how do they come to desire honesty, generosity, courage and so on against pressures to be a liar, to be a miser, to be a coward?
This entails an issue of the freedom of the self determined will, how we educated our desires such that our desire to do good is greater than our desire to do wrong.
That somehow in a conflict between motives we can train ourselves to choose a better motive. This is a long process to innuculate into ourselves and our children.
https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/works/determinism.htm
A second important distinction Vygotsky makes is that between motives and stimuli.

(1) A stimulus triggers a conditioned reflex which has been trained and is part of (2) an elaborate system of interconnected stimuli and reflexes which constitute the internal form of a motive. Every form of action is directed and organized by some motive, and when conflicting motives arise, these apparatuses can be combined in complex ways to resolve the conflict.

When a subject is faced with a conflict of motives (e.g., needing to get out of bed but still wanting to rest), the subject will voluntarily introduce an artificial stimulus which they use to resolve the conflict (an alarm clock or telling themselves “I will get up on the count of 3, ...”).

These artificial stimuli which the subject uses to train and control their response to stimuli are provided by their social and cultural surroundings. Adults purposely direct the actions of infants in their care and in doing so introduce these stimuli. Later, children appropriate these same stimuli to “command” themselves. By school age, a child is able to exercise what must be recognized as free will and a significant level of control of their own behavior, while remaining culturally and socially dependent on the conditions of their existence, beyond their control.

“Freedom of will is not freedom from motives.” Yes, though the ability to educate one’s own motives is crucial to the attainment of a genuinely free will, something which may or may not be attained to some degree in the course of an adult life.

The nervous system is an elaborate system of stimulus-response reactions, a system which to a certain degree is ‘self-constructed’ under conditions not of the subject’s choosing. The human organism taken as a whole cannot be described as a stimulus-response object because through personal development people have constructed an elaborate system of stimulus-response apparatuses which mediates between the stimulus acting on the person and the person’s response. This elaborate system is the material basis of consciousness and identity. Thus, when a person responds either with conscious awareness or with an immediate, conditioned response, the laws of biology are not violated.

The psychological process which has something mediate ones decision to act on a virtuous end isn't clear to me. But this helps somewhat in what the contours of such a process might be like and it is to be somewhat understood if there is to be somewhat of a conscious/aware means of properly cultivate virtuous character in our children. As they're not trained for a specific action as in rules of duty, but to cultivate the wisdom to know how to act properly as there can never be pre-given answers to the many problems of day to day life, we have to think and live through them as best we can.

Life is short, be yourself, everybody fucks up, and listen to your kids (they might teach you something).
Last edited by ingliz on 12 Apr 2020 22:06, edited 2 times in total.

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we […]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] Are you[…]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] The[…]

I (still) have a dream

Because the child's cattle-like parents "fol[…]