Election 2020 - Page 25 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By jimjam
What’s most disturbing about “Sharpiegate” isn’t Trump’s clumsy effort to doctor a National Weather Service map or even his brazen move to get the same agency to lie on his behalf.

It’s how utterly petty his motive was. We’ve had presidents trying to cover up a sexual liaison with an intern and a botched burglary, but never have we had one who went to such lengths to cover up an inaccurate weather forecast. Alabama being hit by a hurricane? Friends, this is not rational behavior.
By BigSteve
jimjam wrote:Alabama being hit by a hurricane? Friends, this is not rational behavior.

If we know one thing about hurricanes, it's that they don't always do what we think they will.

And it's not like Alabama's never been hit by a hurricane...
By JohnRawls
jimjam wrote:What’s most disturbing about “Sharpiegate” isn’t Trump’s clumsy effort to doctor a National Weather Service map or even his brazen move to get the same agency to lie on his behalf.

It’s how utterly petty his motive was. We’ve had presidents trying to cover up a sexual liaison with an intern and a botched burglary, but never have we had one who went to such lengths to cover up an inaccurate weather forecast. Alabama being hit by a hurricane? Friends, this is not rational behavior.

This is micro stuff that very few actually care about. Calling everything a "Gate" was started by Republicans but you continuing this absurdity is not gonna help.
By Hindsite
blackjack21 wrote:We are pretty late in the business cycle, so a recession is quite possible.

You mean a recession is quite possible when Trump is out of office? :lol:
By jimjam
JohnRawls wrote:This is micro stuff that very few actually care about. Calling everything a "Gate" was started by Republicans but you continuing this absurdity is not gonna help.

how many people "care" about something is not something I consider when I see something that I think is meaningful. "small" things people do frequently are indicators of big problems. "gate" I agree is absurd. I enjoy pointing out the absurdity of the masses. Trump is absurd and yet the masses have foisted this monstrosity upon us. additionally, use of "gate" is so stupid that I consider it more to be humorous. our senses of humor obviously differ. "help"? are you under the illusion that your postings on pofo will "help" anything? good lick with that...…….I suspect that we would have greater success if we tried to catch the wind.
By JohnRawls
jimjam wrote:how many people "care" about something is not something I consider when I see something that I think is meaningful. "small" things people do frequently are indicators of big problems. "gate" I agree is absurd. I enjoy pointing out the absurdity of the masses. Trump is absurd and yet the masses have foisted this monstrosity upon us. additionally, use of "gate" is so stupid that I consider it more to be humorous. our senses of humor obviously differ. "help"? are you under the illusion that your postings on pofo will "help" anything? good lick with that...…….I suspect that we would have greater success if we tried to catch the wind.

You get the point. The concept of bashing Obama or Trump for being stupid or muslim does not work and in general uninteresting.
By jimjam
JohnRawls wrote:You get the point. The concept of bashing Obama or Trump for being stupid or muslim does not work and in general uninteresting.

I have read your stuff and I respect your mind. we simply have vastly different styles. you study situations, analyze them and present your views by wordy and somewhat uninteresting tomes :) . I am a cheap shot artist who is also rather analytical but have neither the time nor interest to engage in pseudo intellectual discourses. I come here mostly for fun and cyber companionship. Hence, the cheap shots. BUT …… I suspect we are like minded. step back, look beyond one cheap shot and, maybe, you will see a pattern from wence my observations come. in the meantime, as I said to BJ#21 ……..
lighten up jack:

https://youtu.be/n0IKwdfiL24?list=RDDVrTf5yOW5s
By BigSteve
Pants-of-dog wrote:Bashing one’s opponents seems to be working for Trump.

That's amusing coming from someone who seemingly spends every waking hour bashing Trump...
By Pants-of-dog
BigSteve wrote:That's amusing coming from someone who seemingly spends every waking hour bashing Trump...

Please quote where I have done so. Thanks.
By Hindsite
Pants-of-dog wrote:Please quote where I have done so. Thanks.

It may be possible that he is confusing you with jimjam.
By BigSteve
Pants-of-dog wrote:Please quote where I have done so. Thanks.

How about the post I responded to? That was rather critical of Trump, no?
By Pants-of-dog
BigSteve wrote:How about the post I responded to? That was rather critical of Trump, no?

Not at all. It was a recognition that Trump is successfully able to use divisive politics and mudslinging to accomplish his political goals.

He is a master salesperson. He can sell anything.
By Drlee
He is a master salesperson. He can sell anything.

No. He is a ham handed salesperson. He is only able to sell his dumber followers. I include in this group the racists and xenophobes as well as the anti abortion crowd and the fundamentalist Christians bent on spurring the second coming.

Now I will certainly admit that there are some very smart people who support Trump. None of them do it because they are fooled. They are about evenly divided between those who got a lot of money from his election and those who simply want to break things.

I met a very smart guy the other day who is a total outlier. His opinion is that we are about to face the end of labor as we know it. He believes that the deficits are irrelevant in the face of that. Simply put, there is no one who will be required to foot the bill. He made a very convincing argument.
By Julian658
Drlee wrote:No. He is a ham handed salesperson. He is only able to sell his dumber followers. I include in this group the racists and xenophobes as well as the anti abortion crowd and the fundamentalist Christians bent on spurring the second coming.

Now I will certainly admit that there are some very smart people who support Trump. None of them do it because they are fooled. They are about evenly divided between those who got a lot of money from his election and those who simply want to break things.

I met a very smart guy the other day who is a total outlier. His opinion is that we are about to face the end of labor as we know it. He believes that the deficits are irrelevant in the face of that. Simply put, there is no one who will be required to foot the bill. He made a very convincing argument.

Most Republicans I know think Trump is a jerk and a narcissist. However, the Dem party is so bad that they rather vote for Trump. Despite the massive personality issues Trump is enjoying a prosperous economy and has cut redtape. That is good enough for many conservatives. The lunacy of a Kamala, Warren, or Bernie is much worse than Trump. This will be an interesting 2020 show.

I wish we had someone like Reagan, but that is in the past,
By BigSteve
Julian658 wrote:Despite the massive personality issues Trump is enjoying a prosperous economy and has cut redtape. That is good enough for many conservatives.

Of course, a good economy and cutting red tape are two things that liberals loathe...

The lunacy of a Kamala, Warren, or Bernie is much worse than Trump. This will be an interesting 2020 show.

What's going to be interesting is watching the democrats eat their young...
By Drlee
Of course, a good economy and cutting red tape are two things that liberals loathe...

Come on. We are both conservatives. We have good points to make. Let's not squander our chops with cheap shots like this. Neither is true by the way. Just for the record, Trump has cut no "red tape". What he has done is roll back environmental protections. We need to own that. Or oppose it. Since I remember that a good republican started the Environmental Protection Agency, I have no problem disagreeing with the president on this one.
By Hindsite
Drlee wrote:Come on. We are both conservatives. We have good points to make. Let's not squander our chops with cheap shots like this. Neither is true by the way. Just for the record, Trump has cut no "red tape". What he has done is roll back environmental protections. We need to own that. Or oppose it. Since I remember that a good republican started the Environmental Protection Agency, I have no problem disagreeing with the president on this one.

You are wrong on this one. Trump has not rolled back environmental protections. The environment is as well protected as it was before he was elected president. President Trump has made us a wealthier nation by ending unnecessary job killing regulations. That could be considered as cutting red tape.
HalleluYah
By Hindsite
Pants-of-dog wrote:Can you cite any one regulation that was cut that was not beneficial and was just red tape?

No. I believe they were all beneficial. However, I just said that it could also be considered cutting red tape if you consider the following definition for red tape:

"excessive bureaucracy or adherence to rules and formalities, especially in public business"

or from Wikipedia
Red tape is an idiom that refers to excessive regulation or rigid conformity to formal rules that is considered redundant or bureaucratic and hinders or prevents action or decision-making.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tape

The link and quote has been posted. As well as l[…]

Nobody is trying to distract from the humanitarian[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Again: nope. Putin in Feb 2022 only decided ... […]

Helping Ukraine to defeat the Russian invasion an[…]