Why Heavy Metal Music is dominated by males - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Julian658 wrote:I have never ever had a dream about rape. Most men do not long for rape. Your bad code is starting to show.

Are you like Alexa? Do you have gender? Maybe you were programmed to be an SJW. The Rpe culture theme is common among SJWs.

And so my point that the OP is a verifiable hypothesis is correct.

And since we already know that the brains of men and women are biologically different, it is also consistent with our current knowledge of neurology and sex.
Rancid wrote:Did a quick search. This is the most I could find with respect to testosterone and music

https://www.progressivemuscle.com/blog/ ... ic-tastes/

Basically it say's "Maybe, maybe not, and more study needs to happen"

So it certainly does not say hormones (testosterone) have no bearing on musical taste. This gives the OP's hypothesis some hope of potentially being true. @MistyTiger, maybe you do have more testosterone than the general population of women. ;) Then again, maybe not. :)

That said, I'm gonna guess this question will never be answered, because I'm sure the reality is so multi-factored, it will be hard to run an experiment that controls for all factors.

The world, may never know. :lol:

Haha. I knew it, I am an oddball! :lol:

Seriously though, I seem to be more in touch with the masculine side, open to interpretation though. I put in more effort to stay fit. I got into weightlifting since I was 16 and the mechanics of it still interests me. I can eat a lot like a guy, at an all you can eat buffet, I can eat several plates of food, the food not the plates, that is, 4-5 plates of food. Technology always facinated me. As a girl, I always wanted to hang out with the boys, playing house with the girls seemed boring. I still relate more to guys, but I can tolerate women if needed. Most of my friends are guys. I tend to be more straightforward than a lot of women...I do not like to play coy or play mind games. Basically wysiwyg as they say in computer science circles. Sometimes I think that I should have been born a boy.
MistyTiger wrote:Haha. I knew it, I am an oddball! :lol:

Seriously though, I seem to be more in touch with the masculine side, open to interpretation though. I put in more effort to stay fit. I got into weightlifting since I was 16 and the mechanics of it still interests me. I can eat a lot like a guy, at an all you can eat buffet, I can eat several plates of food, the food not the plates, that is, 4-5 plates of food. Technology always facinated me. As a girl, I always wanted to hang out with the boys, playing house with the girls seemed boring. I still relate more to guys, but I can tolerate women if needed. Most of my friends are guys. I tend to be more straightforward than a lot of women...I do not like to play coy or play mind games. Basically wysiwyg as they say in computer science circles. Sometimes I think that I should have been born a boy.

At the individual level women can be like you. On the average, when looking at large numbers there are more feminine trends.
IN some instances women like you were exposed to testosterone while in the utero. This creates a superwoman. Did you have a fraternal twin?
Last edited by Julian658 on 03 Oct 2019 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
Julian658 wrote:At the individual level women can be like you. On the average, when looking at large numbers there are more feminine trends.
IN some instances women like you were exposed to testosterone while in the utero. This creates a superwoman. Did you have a fraternal twin?

I did not have a fraternal twin, though my horoscope is Gemini.

My mom says I am so like my dad in temperament, interests and attitude. I joke around that I am 50% of both of them, and they are opposites in many ways. Like he likes to work outdoors and she works indoors. He is athletic and she was always the sedentary one. I tend to feel most comfortable outdoors and yet I love sitting inside to enjoy a good book. I can be good with learning technical skills and I can be very good with creative writing. I can learn sewing but I prefer learning about cars. I have to deal with the polarity and it can be a bit amusing or daunting, depends on the instance.
MistyTiger wrote:I did not have a fraternal twin, though my horoscope is Gemini.

My mom says I am so like my dad in temperament, interests and attitude. I joke around that I am 50% of both of them, and they are opposites in many ways. Like he likes to work outdoors and she works indoors. He is athletic and she was always the sedentary one. I tend to feel most comfortable outdoors and yet I love sitting inside to enjoy a good book. I can be good with learning technical skills and I can be very good with creative writing. I can learn sewing but I prefer learning about cars. I have to deal with the polarity and it can be a bit amusing or daunting, depends on the instance.

My mom liked professions that were for men. It happens some women have more masculine traits in the same manner some men have feminine traits. This has nothing to do with sex orientation. Good for you!
Godstud wrote:@annatar1914 Hey, nice find. I like her singing and her guttural tones, as well. Too bad I don't speak the lingo. :D

:D

Apparently she's the only known woman in Metal who has been recorded doing that, too. I'm still not very good at my Russian language, but the lyrics are some pre-Christian Slavic pagan stuff abut the Creator God Rod; the band is named after ''Arkona'', which was a heathen Slavic shrine of the Wends (the group of Slavic tribes i'm partly descended from) in the Baltic sea area during the Middle Ages before the Papists and their Crusades in the Northern lands.
Yeah, I know it's off-topic, but I've kind of gotten to like foreign metal, even though I don't necessarily know the words.

MONGOL METAL
Julian658 wrote:My mom liked professions that were for men. It happens some women have more masculine traits in the same manner some men have feminine traits. This has nothing to do with sex orientation. Good for you!

Thanks. I think I just inherited more of my dad's personality.

There is a study that says that there is more testosterone in the utero if the mother is overweight. My mom was overweight. I do sometimes feel like I have a lot of anger, energy and a reckless or sensation seeking tendency. There is a sensation seeking scale test that examines how much of a thrill seeker a person can be. I could either score high or score in the midrange or borderline high. I went back and forth between high thrill and low thrill in the handful of questions I went through so far, did not finish it. I found a version from Washington State University. High sensation seeking is associated with masculinity.
Some research suggests that music taste varies with age. In particular, young people like aggressive music like Metal, Hip Hop, etc. As they get older, their tastes soften a bit. That's not to say they don't enjoy what they used to as a kid, but more that their tastes expand into softer types of music.

I personally have experienced this. In my teen years, I mostly listened to Punk & hardcore. As well as classical, but classical was only because I was studying classical guitar at the same time. These days, while I still enjoy punk, hardcore and their variations, I've found I'm also liking other forms of music more too. In particular, Blues, Funk, and Jazz. Part of this is because I played bass mostly as a kid.
Agent Steel wrote:I took the time and effort to write out a thoughtful idea and post it onto a metal group on FB, and they didn't allow my opinion to be heard. I figured that was a possibility, so I saved the post on google documents so I could post it somewhere else. Since they won't allow it there I guess I'll put it here.

"I believe there is a scientific reason for why metal is such a male-dominated form of music. I think it can be explained by the way our hormones interact with the brain.

Both males and females have some amount of testosterone and estrogen in their blood cells. Males carry about half of each hormone per cell, whereas females carry about 95% estrogen along with 5% of testosterone.

Male aggression comes from having higher levels of testosterone. And the desire to release this aggression stimulates the dopamine receptors in the brain, resulting in a euphoric high. It is often the case that metal is an aggressive form of music and so it's no surprise that it resonates more with males. The joy and euphoria that a male might feel from listening to metal may not be relatable to many females because to a female aggression can only experienced as a negative emotion in the brain rather than a positive one.

If I'm upsetting anyone by saying this I'm sorry and that's not my intention. I'm only trying to come up with a rational explanation for this trend."

You see I even had the courtesy to add a statement at the end that says I don't mean to offend. And they still didn't allow it!

Anyway what are your thoughts on this statement of mine? Do you agree or disagree?

I agree. I've known women who like heavy metal but they're certainly in a minority. In my experience listening to and watching heavy metal bands is predominantly a male pastime. That's not being 'sexist' it's just my experience. In fact, I abandoned heavy metal when I met my first wife. Fuck me the writing was on the wall if only I could have seen it.
Rancid wrote:Some research suggests that music taste varies with age. In particular, young people like aggressive music like Metal, Hip Hop, etc. As they get older, their tastes soften a bit. That's not to say they don't enjoy what they used to as a kid, but more that their tastes expand into softer types of music.

I personally have experienced this. In my teen years, I mostly listened to Punk & hardcore. As well as classical, but classical was only because I was studying classical guitar at the same time. These days, while I still enjoy punk, hardcore and their variations, I've found I'm also liking other forms of music more too. In particular, Blues, Funk, and Jazz. Part of this is because I played bass mostly as a kid.

Tastes change for sure, but I'm not convinced that young = aggresive, and old = mellow. I still have Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zep and many other vinyl albums that I've had since the 1970's. I also have at least one Drifters album from that era and a few Motown albums... and others. The point being, I did like heavy metal, but it was a very male thing. If a girlfriend came round I was more likely to put a Drifters or Carpenters album on the turntable [turntable?] than Rainbow or Judas Priest. Trust me, a lack of volume and base paid dividends.

As a kid who grew up in the punk era [b1959-aged 60] I didn't particularly like punk rock. At the time it was heavy metal or nothing and punk was seen as a weak imposter, I remember at the time we all dissed punk. These days as I grow old as disgracefully as I can, my pleasure is the ballet it's the most beautiful art form imaginable, it's perfect. But if I hear a Sex Pistols track I have to stop and listen, it's nostalgia. For some reason God Save the Queen or Anarchy in the UK takes me back to those years more than heavy metal, yet I was a big heavy metal fan at the time. Is there a psychologist in the house?..

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]

Candace Owens

... Too bad it's not as powerful as it once was. […]

...Which Hamas refuses and wasn't ordered by the […]

@skinster so you confess that Hamas committed ma[…]