Trump's Dumb Economics - Page 75 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
jimjam wrote:What is your opinion of Franklin D. Roosevelt?

I was not paying attention to politics back then.
By jimjam
Hindsite wrote:I was not paying attention to politics back then.

Your knowledge of history is indeed impressive :lol: . I doubt that anybody can be as dense as you profess to be so ..... I posit that you are simply copping out and passing the buck. I will assume that you do not care for the man since he was pretty much the opposite of Obese Donald.
jimjam wrote:Your knowledge of history is indeed impressive :lol: . I doubt that anybody can be as dense as you profess to be so ..... I posit that you are simply copping out and passing the buck. I will assume that you do not care for the man since he was pretty much the opposite of Obese Donald.

I did learn in school that Franklin D. Roosevelt was a U.S. President, but I don't recall if he was considered good or bad. Was he the President that came up with the idea of Social Security and welfare?
By jimjam
Hindsite wrote:I did learn in school that Franklin D. Roosevelt was a U.S. President, but I don't recall if he was considered good or bad. Was he the President that came up with the idea of Social Security and welfare?

Interesting …… you apparently never were told about/studied F.D.R. …………… He was elected 4 times and saw America through the Great Depression and WW2. He pushed thru Social Security. Welfare is a moving target with many faces. I really do not know what role, if any, he had in this area. He was pretty much the anthesis of what the Republicans and "conservatives" of today stand for. That is why I solicited your opinion.
jimjam wrote:Interesting …… you apparently never were told about/studied F.D.R. …………… He was elected 4 times and saw America through the Great Depression and WW2. He pushed thru Social Security. Welfare is a moving target with many faces. I really do not know what role, if any, he had in this area. He was pretty much the anthesis of what the Republicans and "conservatives" of today stand for. That is why I solicited your opinion.

Yes, I remember one president was elected 4 times and that was what led to congress limiting the presidency to 2 terms. If FDR was a Republican, it was probably a Democrat congress that was for the limit. Congress never want to limit their own terms. The party out of power often talk about term limits for Congress until they are in power.
Hindsite wrote:Yes, I remember one president was elected 4 times and that was what led to congress limiting the presidency to 2 terms. If FDR was a republican, it was probably a Democrat congress that was for the limit. Congress never want to limit their own terms. The party out of power often talk about term limits for Congress until they are in power.
I think there's a rather good reason that congressmen's or senators' terms are not limited -- as individuals they wield considerably less power than the President.
Patrickov wrote:I think there's a rather good reason that congressmen's or senators' terms are not limited -- as individuals they wield considerably less power than the President.

Unless they are Speaker of the House or Senate Majority Leader.
Hindsite wrote:Unless they are Speaker of the House or Senate Majority Leader.

I disagree.

1. This person has to go through election twice, first their seat and the second as speaker / leader

2. Even the "Speaker" / "Leader" does not have enough power to override the entire House / Senate, and certainly not each other. The President can bypass both single-handedly.
Patrickov wrote:I disagree.

1. This person has to go through election twice, first their seat and the second as speaker / leader

2. Even the "Speaker" / "Leader" does not have enough power to override the entire House / Senate, and certainly not each other. The President can bypass both single-handedly.

But the Speaker of the House or Senate Majority Leader can refuse to bring any measure up to a vote.
The latest budget review from the Congressional Budget Office, projecting a fiscal 2019 deficit of almost a trillion dollars — up by more than $300 billion from the deficit Trump inherited. Trump’s domestic economic policy has been standard Republican top-down class warfare. None of that $300 billion went for social benefits or even his continually promised, never-delivered infrastructure plan. Instead, it went mainly into tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy that have done little to boost investment.
jimjam wrote:The latest budget review from the Congressional Budget Office, projecting a fiscal 2019 deficit of almost a trillion dollars — up by more than $300 billion from the deficit Trump inherited. Trump’s domestic economic policy has been standard Republican top-down class warfare. None of that $300 billion went for social benefits or even his continually promised, never-delivered infrastructure plan. Instead, it went mainly into tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy that have done little to boost investment.

It's laughable but hey some of them believe Rump is the saviour of the working class... they really do.....

:lol:

..ow my sides.

Btw, hope you are feeling better today, you sublime photographer you
By jimjam
In 2018 a company owned by Oleg Deripaska — an oligarch close to Vladimir Putin, who is supposed to be under U.S. sanctions for activities that include interference in foreign elections — received a waiver from aluminium tariffs. The waiver was withdrawn only after Democrats in Congress noticed it, with the Commerce Department claiming that it had been granted as a result of a “clerical error.” Uh-huh.
jimjam wrote:The latest budget review from the Congressional Budget Office, projecting a fiscal 2019 deficit of almost a trillion dollars — up by more than $300 billion from the deficit Trump inherited. Trump’s domestic economic policy has been standard Republican top-down class warfare. None of that $300 billion went for social benefits or even his continually promised, never-delivered infrastructure plan. Instead, it went mainly into tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy that have done little to boost investment.

Something has done a lot to boost the Stock Market, because it has continued to set many records after Trump became President. Yesterday another all-time record for the S&P 500, Dow and Nasdaq was set.

S&P 500, Dow and Nasdaq close at records on positive expectations around U.S.-China trade

Published: Nov 25, 2019 4:15 p.m. ET

Major U.S. stock-market benchmarks ended Monday’s session at records as investors remained attuned to developments in the U.S.-China trade relationship and cheered a wave of merger activity.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, +0.68% advanced 190.85 points, or 0.7%, to end at 28,066.47, while the Nasdaq Composite COMP, +1.32% climbed 112.60 points, or 1.3%, to 8,632.49. The S&P 500 index SPX, +0.75% ended 23.35 points higher at 3,133.64, a gain of 0.8%.

The Dow ended the day above its previous closing high of 28,036.22 set Nov. 18, the S&P 500 surpassed its previous closing record of 8,570.66 set on Nov. 19, while the Nasdaq finished the session above its last closing high of 3,122.03 set on Nov. 18. All three benchmarks also set new intraday highs on Monday.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/stock ... 2019-11-25

Praise the lord and the Trump of God.
By late
Hindsite wrote:
Something has done a lot to boost the Stock Market

Wall St is not the economy.

If you remember, it was doing exceedingly well a decade ago... just before the crash.

Republicans have once again undermined the safeguards against it happening again.

Despite Trumps promise of 6% growth, the economy is slowing down.
"Nearly 3 out of 4 economists surveyed by the National Association for Business Economics expect a recession by 2021, according to poll results released Monday...

The scenario, known as an inverted yield curve, has preceded every recession since 1955 and signals that investors are piling into safer assets."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... vey-finds/
By jimjam
Hindsite wrote:Something has done a lot to boost the Stock Market

Massive tax cuts for billionaires who were supposed to "trickle" it down but are, instead, trickling is into their portfolios. And, hard to overlook is the $1,000,000,000,000 per year in debt that America is accruing. Also, U.S. household debt is at an all time high due to stagnant earnings by the masses coupled with "real inflation" not the "political inflation" we hear about from The Obese Guy and his band of ass lickers and yes men.

Don simply brought his business model of partying on borrowed money until the party ends in the next bankruptcy to the White House. This time though, bankruptcy will be a massive economic crash that will slam all Americans except the billionaires.
jimjam wrote:Massive tax cuts for billionaires who were supposed to "trickle" it down but are, instead, trickling is into their portfolios. And, hard to overlook is the $1,000,000,000,000 per year in debt that America is accruing. Also, U.S. household debt is at an all time high due to stagnant earnings by the masses coupled with "real inflation" not the "political inflation" we hear about from The Obese Guy and his band of ass lickers and yes men.

Don simply brought his business model of partying on borrowed money until the party ends in the next bankruptcy to the White House. This time though, bankruptcy will be a massive economic crash that will slam all Americans except the billionaires.

late wrote:Wall St is not the economy.

If you remember, it was doing exceedingly well a decade ago... just before the crash.

Republicans have once again undermined the safeguards against it happening again.

Despite Trumps promise of 6% growth, the economy is slowing down.
"Nearly 3 out of 4 economists surveyed by the National Association for Business Economics expect a recession by 2021, according to poll results released Monday...

The scenario, known as an inverted yield curve, has preceded every recession since 1955 and signals that investors are piling into safer assets."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... vey-finds/

You Democrats love the fake news predictions. The reason they believe they must impeach is because they are afraid they can't win with the economy so good.
By jimjam
Unfortunately, Trump has deployed a totally disjointed, impulsive “America First” strategy that has ended up “America Alone” — and weaker. And Xi has been no better. So a relationship that the world needs to work, to drive growth and deal with global problems like climate change, is slowly unraveling. We will miss it when it’s gone.

Or, as Kishore Mahbubani, the Singaporean academic, former diplomat and author of the forthcoming book “Has China Won?” said: “I wonder if one day future historians will look back at this contest between Americans and Chinese and compare them to two families of apes fighting with each other while the forest around them is burning.”
jimjam wrote:Unfortunately, Trump has deployed a totally disjointed, impulsive “America First” strategy that has ended up “America Alone” — and weaker. And Xi has been no better. So a relationship that the world needs to work, to drive growth and deal with global problems like climate change, is slowly unraveling. We will miss it when it’s gone.

You Democrats prefer the well thought out "America Last" strategy so that Americans can continue to be taken advantage of by China and the rest of the world. If the rest of the world loves him, then he isn't doing his job to take up for Americans. The crazy idea that climate change is our global problem that we must deal with is nonsense. Let the rest of the world deal with it, if they think it is such a problem. I say fuck them, if they think Americans must be the ones to deal with imaginary problems.

Sounds like we need to increase tariffs on China and Mexico.

jimjam wrote:In 2018 a company owned by Oleg Deripaska — an oligarch close to Vladimir Putin, who is supposed to be under U.S. sanctions for activities that include interference in foreign elections — received a waiver from aluminium tariffs. The waiver was withdrawn only after Democrats in Congress noticed it, with the Commerce Department claiming that it had been granted as a result of a “clerical error.” Uh-huh.

That's nothing that Ukraine didn't do to Trump, or Obama during the recent Canadian elections, Brexit, or against Likud. Would it be appropriate for other countries to sanction Obama?

late wrote:If you remember, it was doing exceedingly well a decade ago... just before the crash.

It was down over 20% with an inverted yield curve and oil at $147 a barrel.

late wrote:Republicans have once again undermined the safeguards against it happening again.

What safeguards? Bailing out superrich banks?

late wrote:"Nearly 3 out of 4 economists surveyed by the National Association for Business Economics expect a recession by 2021, according to poll results released Monday...

That will be after the 2020 elections.

late wrote:The scenario, known as an inverted yield curve, has preceded every recession since 1955 and signals that investors are piling into safer assets."

It didn't persist long. The Fed has cut rates twice.

jimjam wrote:And, hard to overlook is the $1,000,000,000,000 per year in debt that America is accruing.

Yep. Definitely we need more tariffs to pay for that.

jimjam wrote:Unfortunately, Trump has deployed a totally disjointed, impulsive “America First” strategy that has ended up “America Alone” — and weaker.

Do you feel lonely?

jimjam wrote: And Xi has been no better.

What about Kim Jong Un?

I'm so ronery. How about you @Hindsite? Are you ronery too?
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Every accusation is a confession Why sexual v[…]

Deliberately ignoring evidence showing IDF air str[…]

Indeed. It is strange, but they're all over the in[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ay43E94W58 :D […]