US Diplomat's Wife Hit and Run in UK - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

snapdragon wrote:She's not entitled to diplomatic immunity. Send her back here to face charges.

If her husband has diplomatic status, then so does she.
About the accident: very little is written about it but it seems to have been an unfortunate accident.
It is possible that after leaving the base where the vehicles probably drive on the right side of the road, she forgot to switch to the left side of the road following British rules.
Drlee wrote:Mark this day with a stone. I agree with BS. As bad as this looks, the only remedy is to either stand by diplomatic immunity or do away with it entirely.

Diplomatic immunity simply means the home country gets to decide what happens with the accused. In this case the countries involved are the US and the UK. Hit and run is a crime in both countries and she will get a fair trial in the UK. There's no reason not to waive her immunity.
So you think that an American diplomat's wife should be subject to whippings or stonings in Saudi Arabia if she violates some tenet of Sharia?

I don't. I don't think we ought to have diplomatic relations with any nation which has laws such as these at all.
Drlee wrote:Diplomatic immunity is designed to protect real diplomats from arrest on trumped up charges or in time of war. It serves a real purpose. Every few decades something like this happens and we all get upset.

This Honourable Gentleman made the point quite clearly and I understand the rationale. However, I think asking the Country of Origin (the United States in this case) to review the suspect's diplomatic immunity (including whether a wrong or false claim has been made) is NOT a breach of this principle. Both this case and the Georgia-diplomat-killing-American-girl case during the Clinton Administration emphasised that the Country of Origin holds the final decision, which, IMHO, is the most important.

Another important thing to look into is that "hit and run" is a crime in most nations. Some other Honourable Persons used Sharia as practiced in Saudi Arabia as argument. IMHO if the event involves a discrepancy between laws and regulations (i.e. it is a crime here but not there), then I will support diplomatic immunity prevailance.
Ter wrote:If her husband has diplomatic status, then so does she.

He wasn't on the list.

About the accident: very little is written about it but it seems to have been an unfortunate accident.
It is possible that after leaving the base where the vehicles probably drive on the right side of the road, she forgot to switch to the left side of the road following British rules.

For 400 yards, the silly bitch.

Her name is Mrs Anne Sacoolas. She initially cooperated with the police, but when it became apparent she could face criminal charges she was hustled out of the country with her husband.
snapdragon wrote:... but when it became apparent she could face criminal charges she was hustled out of the country with her husband.

Does this mean that she did not leave the country on her own will, but was persuaded to come home by the United States?
Patrickov wrote:Does this mean that she did not leave the country on her own will, but was persuaded to come home by the United States?

I shouldn't think it took much, if any, persuasion, but I don't know.

There's nothing stopping her coming back to face possible charges.
snapdragon wrote:Her name is Mrs Anne Sacoolas. She initially cooperated with the police, but when it became apparent she could face criminal charges she was hustled out of the country with her husband.

Her name and her husband's name have been quickly and royally splashed all over the media including the BBC. That is surely a career spoiler for that couple.

From what I read in the news she would not have received a custodial sentence, only a probation. Flying back home and her husband losing his overseas assignments is probably a bigger sentence that staying behind and facing the music.
Ter wrote:From what I read in the news she would not have received a custodial sentence, only a probation.

I find it fascinating that they can determine that without having conducted a thorough investigation yet.

It makes sense that they would say that, though. If that's what gets reported, she's more likely to return and say she's ready to "face the music". Then, given her willingness to subject herself to the British justice system, they shift gears and charge her with murder...

Flying back home and her husband losing his overseas assignments is probably a bigger sentence that staying behind and facing the music.

Well, then... no reason for her to go back then, is there?
BigSteve wrote:It makes sense that they would say that, though. If that's what gets reported, she's more likely to return and say she's ready to "face the music". Then, given her willingness to subject herself to the British justice system, they shift gears and charge her with murder...

Nobody claimed that she was drunk or under the influence of drugs so reckless driving would probably be the harshest she would have had to face in court. I think the offence of vehicular manslaughter does not exist in the UK and might not apply to her anyway. Accusing her of murder is neither logical nor warranted.

People die in road accidents every day. It is sad but unavoidable.
Ter wrote:Nobody claimed that she was drunk or under the influence of drugs so reckless driving would probably be the harshest she would have had to face in court. I think the offence of vehicular manslaughter does not exist in the UK and might not apply to her anyway. Accusing her of murder is neither logical nor warranted.

People die in road accidents every day. It is sad but unavoidable.

Which is why I stated, in my first post, that had she stopped there probably wouldn't have been any criminality whatsoever.

If she were to return now, the the locals would demand that she face far harsher penalties simply because she availed herself of her diplomatic immunity; something the UK accepts and agrees with...
@snapdragon wrote: He wasn't on the list.

If this is the case it is a game changer. If he was not covered by diplomatic immunity and they fled the country this changes everything.
She could face up to 14 years in jail. if she were to be found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving, though she's more likely to face a charge of careless driving which carries a sentence of up to five years in jail

Not much, is it, for the life of a 19 year old?
snapdragon wrote:She could face up to 14 years in jail. if she were to be found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving, though she's more likely to face a charge of careless driving which carries a sentence of up to five years in jail

Not much, is it, for the life of a 19 year old?

If you accidentally killed someone with your car, and you lawfully availed yourself of diplomatic immunity, would you go back and give yourself for up to five years in prison if the United States didn't waive your immunity?

I don't think you would. I don't think anyone would...
Drlee wrote:If this is the case it is a game changer. If he was not covered by diplomatic immunity and they fled the country this changes everything.

From the OP:

Police applied for a waiver of the immunity to pursue the case, but their request was rejected and they were told she had left the country, the broadcaster reported, quoting Superintendent Sarah Johnson from Northamptonshire Police.

If she wasn't covered by diplomatic immunity there would've been no reason for the police to apply for a waiver.

Furthermore, if she broke the law in Great Britain and then returned to the United States, I don't believe she can be compelled to return to Great Britain to face charges. The United States justice system has no jurisdiction over crimes committed by US citizens in foreign countries...
If she wasn't covered by diplomatic immunity there would've been no reason for the police to apply for a waiver.

Quite true. Good point.
Some woman at work was talking about how the killer-woman had a string of driving offences in the U.S. already, but I can't confirm this because I haven't bothered to look it up and anyway am ok with her body offered to the family of the child she killed and ran away from, dead or alive. :)
skinster wrote:Some woman at work was talking about how the killer-woman had a string of driving offences in the U.S. already, but I can't confirm this because I haven't bothered to look it up and anyway am ok with her body offered to the family of the child she killed and ran away from, dead or alive. :)

"Some woman"... well, if that's not a reliable source, nothin' is...

@Rugoz You are a fuckin' moralist, Russia could[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

A new film has been released destroying the offici[…]

You are a supporter of the genocide against the P[…]

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]