EU-BREXIT - Page 276 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Beren
Potemkin wrote:A Very British Coup ;)

Thanks for sharing that. :up:

Potemkin wrote:Kadar, for all his personal deficiencies, turned out to be one of the greatest leaders Hungary has ever had.

He probably was, although I don't share his cult. He probably was one of the greatest leaders in the Soviet Bloc too.
By Rugoz
Beren wrote:I don't mean it would literally happen as it happened in Chile with Allende, it's just an analogy. It would rather happen in a way fitting Britain, of course, but it still would be a coup basically.

Feel free to explain how a coup "fitting Britain" would look like.
By Beren
Rugoz wrote:Feel free to explain how a coup "fitting Britain" would look like.

I guess it would look like a somewhat extraordinary social, economic, financial and political crisis in a liberal parliamentary democracy resulting in the prime minister's dismissal that wouldn't even appear to be a coup. However, I intend to watch the miniseries recommended by Potemkin, so I can get some real clue perhaps. ;)
By Potemkin
Beren wrote:I guess it would look like a somewhat extraordinary social, economic, financial and political crisis in a liberal parliamentary democracy resulting in the prime minister's dismissal that wouldn't even appear to be a coup. However, I intend to watch the miniseries recommended by Potemkin, so I can get some real clue perhaps. ;)

Life imitates art... after a thirty year delay.... ;)
By Rugoz
Beren wrote:I guess it would look like a somewhat extraordinary social, economic, financial and political crisis in a liberal parliamentary democracy resulting in the prime minister's dismissal that wouldn't even appear to be a coup. However, I intend to watch the miniseries recommended by Potemkin, so I can get some real clue perhaps. ;)

That wouldn't be a coup, it would be a consequence of shitty economic policies. Though there's nothing crazy about Corbyn's economic policies as far as I can tell. In contrast, Allende's policies (or rather those of Pedro Vuskovic), were batshit insane and the catastrophic outcome predictable.
By Beren
Rugoz wrote:That wouldn't be a coup, it would be a consequence of shitty economic policies. Though there's nothing crazy about Corbyn's economic policies as far as I can tell. In contrast, Allende's policies (or rather those of Pedro Vuskovic), were batshit insane and the catastrophic outcome predictable.

Even more predictable than your response? ;)

It would be a coup because the crisis would be a result of a conspiracy to overthrow the Corbyn cabinet way before it could do anything substantial. In my opinion the project would practically start as soon as he took office or even before. :lol:
By Presvias
Hehe, 80s tv series seems to be all the rage right now. The mindset of 30 years ago, or even further back, 30s and 40s where some Brexiteers are concerned ;) :) whom are both Anglais and of other nations in da 'union' that Boris is a minister of.

Whilst we're going retro, let's reflect on historical Brexit and remain in pictures complete with crude 70's sexism:
By Presvias
:lol: It makes me laugh to see radical leftists, probably swappies trying to sell the weekly wanker, marching behind thatcher. I guess the same is true with lefty Brexitearers though. :D Guileless naivety taken to new heights.. delayed development indeed.
By B0ycey
Presvias wrote:Nicola Sturgeon has told the Labour Party to not "bother picking up the phone" for SNP support if it won't back another independence vote.

He'll have to phone Swinson instead. :lol:
By Rugoz
Beren wrote:Even more predictable than your response? ;)

It would be a coup because the crisis would be a result of a conspiracy to overthrow the Corbyn cabinet way before it could do anything substantial. In my opinion the project would practically start as soon as he took office or even before. :lol:

I have no idea how a post so utterly devoid of substance got you 2 likes. Pofo... :lol:
By Presvias
Rugoz wrote:I have no idea how a post so utterly devoid of substance got you 2 likes. Pofo... :lol:

Your one liners and monosyllabic ones posts have plenty of substance, a different kind though. :)
By Beren
Rugoz wrote:I have no idea how a post so utterly devoid of substance got you 2 likes. Pofo... :lol:

It's a sign of agreement rather than appreciation perhaps. ;)
By Nonsense
Presvias wrote::lol: It makes me laugh to see radical leftists, probably swappies trying to sell the weekly wanker, marching behind thatcher. I guess the same is true with lefty Brexitearers though. :D Guileless naivety taken to new heights.. delayed development indeed.

It seems that there is more 'bust' than 'europe' in one of the photo's call it 'sexist' today, but, back then, it was considered 'normal', how times change.

Thatcher was to turn against europe, even though she was previously pro-europe, she weighed in against John MAJOR for signing the Maastricht Treaty, for which she claimed he had,"put his head in the fire".

She herself had signed the 'Single European Act', for which she had believed beforehand, that the European Commission would honour it's 'Limited Majority Voting' provisions.That's the reason she condemned MAJOR, who, himself, also against Thatchers opinion, that a referendum was needed on europe over the direction it was taking, towards, being a different animal to what it had hitherto been.

Her attitude to the euro issue, between parliament vs a referendum was expressed thus," 'To say that our power comes only from the ballot box and then we ignore such a big constitutional change seems to me to be utterly wrong,' she said.
There is only one way to elevate a single issue and give it the importance which this one deserves and that is to have a specific referendum."
Understandably, she thoroughly disliked John MAJOR,maybe it was because he was a europhile, or the fact that he liked a 'bit of CURRIE' now & again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Rugoz
Beren wrote:It's a sign of agreement rather than appreciation perhaps. ;)

Agreement to what I wonder...I suppose a bunch of commies having the same illusions about the Allende government?
By Beren
Rugoz wrote:Agreement to what I wonder...

To the certainty of an immediate coup attempt to overthrow a Corbyn cabinet perhaps.
By Rugoz
Beren wrote:To the certainty of an immediate coup attempt to overthrow a Corbyn cabinet perhaps.

Nah, that's too silly. Not even you believe that.
By Beren
Rugoz wrote:Nah, that's too silly. Not even you believe that.

Sure, they would just idly stand by and wait until it collapses spontaneously as usual. :lol:
By Presvias
^ You could point out David Stirling and his eld gents group in the 70s, the army gens who threatened to usurp power under Corbyn, MI5 and 6 leaders current and ex ominously saying Corb was a sec threat, you could point out the Tories hinting that Corbyn "must be stopped by any means" directly accusing him of being an accessory to terrorism.

Etc.

Idk how people from outside Britain know more about this country than my fellow shitizens.. :lol:
By Beren
Presvias wrote:^ You could point out David Stirling and his eld gents group in the 70s, the army gens who threatened to usurp power under Corbyn, MI5 and 6 leaders current and ex ominously saying Corb was a sec threat, you could point out the Tories hinting that Corbyn "must be stopped by any means" directly accusing him of being an accessory to terrorism.

Etc.

Idk how people from outside Britain know more about this country than my fellow shitizens.. :lol:

I'm not aware of such particularities, I've been following British politics closely since the beginning of Brexshit only, but I'm aware of the big picture I guess.

@FiveofSwords Also, don't get too hung up on g[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

This post was made on the 16th April two years ag[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]