Canadian Federal Election - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
The Canadian federal elections are soon approaching (advance voting is already done).

Personally, I have 2 issues Im hoping some party will address.

1) Debt. We dont have a huge debt, 31% of GDP. It ballooned during the recession of 2008 and has since declined as a %, largely because our economy has been growing faster than our budget deficits. In recent years that decline has slowed under Trudeau. We are now in a % position similar to that before the recession. A good argument can be made that the current level is fine and nothing special needs to be done - in a vacuum yes. My thought is that in a down turn+stimulus, that % will spike, and Left leaning governments tend to stimulate more and are less concerned about paying back the debt, resulting in a large % that future governments (and us tax payers in subsequent years) will have to carry. So, Id like a more fiscally attentive policy - doesnt have to be conservative (mine is to maintain/increase taxes, maintain services as-is which is an effective reduction over time, and use the positive to pay down the deficit). Liberals can do it (Paul Martin), Conservative can do it (Post recession Harper), Trudeau government has shown less ability. If a downturn/slow down happens (and I have a worry it is happening now) at what level would stimulus help or be wasted? and who would do it better?

2) Corruption/parasitism. So long as the pie grows everyone can get better off, but I worry the parasites (those who siphon gains and given little/nothing in return) have grown more so. Rent controls/subsidies and estate taxes seem like symptom treatments rather than addressing the cause, asset taxes hit wealthy producers/creators (those more likely to employ and grow the economy) and retirees only a little less than wealthy (passive income) parasites, and it seems (I have no evidence but anecdotal) that no one is addressing greed by and within labour unions - including the unions.

Trudeau's track record isnt great and Im tired of his publicity stunts getting more attention that his policy. Scheer is a fake: he doesnt seem to have the background, has not demonstrated insights (nor intellect) and Im doubtful he would get and listen to advisors smarter than himself.. he is a Smarmy Ford. May/Green sound reasonable in debates, but when I go to their platforms I see magical economics and SJW appeasement. I have issues with the NDP and PCC (and the nutjobs that flock to and reside under their banners) and they seem like worse version of the Libs and Cons of the past.. but in the current running they seem to have leaders and policies that are coherent and better than their opponents. :knife:

I'm hoping my analysis is full of shit, and some one can highlight the flaws and point out some truths.
Scheer is a fucking AMERICAN, and shouldn't even be running for the office. He's a corrupt and terrible liar.

I really like Jagmeet Singh. I already cast my early vote for the NDP, this election(Liberal does ridiculously bad historically, in my riding, and I didn't want to toss away my vote).

NDP did a superb job on the provincial level in AB.
Godstud wrote:Scheer is a fucking AMERICAN, and shouldn't even be running for the office.

Wasn't he born in Ottawa?

Just because his father's an American doesn't mean he's not Canadian. He's got dual citizenship. Many people do...
Last edited by BigSteve on 15 Oct 2019 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
Scheer has dual US/Canadian citizenship and hasn't picked one yet(he SAYS he's doing so, but it's not a drawn out process like he makes it out to be). I call that a conflict of interest with any dealings with the US. FFS, he can be drafted into the US military... :knife:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/andrew ... -1.5309002
Ted Cruz USED to be Canadian, but his citizenship is American. That's the difference. Scheer is still an American...

We couldn't stand Cruz. I very much doubt that Cruz will ever be a President. Cruz is hated by ALL.
Godstud wrote:Scheer has dual US/Canadian citizenship...

Okay, so he's Canadian.

Got it...
BigSteve wrote:Okay, so he's Canadian.
No. Wrong.

He's not a full Canadian and can be called up for service in America(drafted). There's a conflict of interest in any situation involving the USA, until time as he gives up his American citizenship.

He even lied about having an American Passport.

Scheer won't explain U.S. travel as a citizen without a valid U.S. passport
https://election.ctvnews.ca/scheer-won- ... -1.4640297

Can you imagine an American with dual citizenship running for President? No, I highly doubt it. You'd be saying the same thing we are about it, but I should realize that you're simply trolling... as usual. :roll:
Godstud wrote:No. Wrong.

He's not a full Canadian and can be called up for service in America(drafted). There's a conflict of interest in any situation involving the USA, until time as he gives up his American citizenship.

Can you imagine an American with dual citizenship running for President? No, I highly doubt it. You'd be saying the same thing we are about it, but I should realize that you're simply trolling... as usual. :roll:

I won't argue that there wouldn't be a conflict of interest.

But he's Canadian...
Godstud wrote:Can you imagine an American with dual citizenship running for President? No, I highly doubt it. You'd be saying the same thing we are about it, but I should realize that you're simply trolling... as usual. :roll:

I'm hardly trolling. As usual, you're getting emotional when someone disagrees with you.

You harbor a profound inability to comprehend that he CAN run for office in Canada. Why? BECAUSE HE'S A FUCKING CANUCK!

In fact, according to the piece you linked to, he's relinquishing is US citizenship.

Problem solved...
Godstud wrote:No. Wrong.

Godstud, I was hanging around the Mexican immigration office. The word on the expats from Canada is that the Canadian consulate in Mexico is getting flooded with requests to live in Canada and work in Canada from USA citizens. They think they need to get out of Trump presidency bad governance situation quickly.

Most Mexicans looking to work in North America here are looking to work in Canadian cities. Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa, Ontario, etc. they can make money for a few years and come back to Mexico with enough to fund small businesses buy homes outright and so on. It is interesting the immigration patterns worldwide.
Tainari88 wrote:Godstud, I was hanging around the Mexican immigration office.

Located where?
If someone's LOYALTY is in question, then their citizenship is most certainly important, @BigSteve. I am amazed that you cannot comprehend such a simple and obvious thing.
BigSteve wrote:Located where?

Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores. That is the agency that processes foreign visas for non Mexicans.

Canada has a consulate in Mexico and many cities all over Mexico. Canadians are everywhere in Mexico. As tourists, businesspeople, etc. They love leaving the cold behind for months every year.

This is what I found on the web:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... exico.html

https://globalnews.ca/news/4822460/amer ... nada-poll/

Americans under 30 years of age also hit a record high, with 30 per cent saying they want to leave the country. Young women were notably more likely to have this sentiment at 40 per cent, compared to their male counterparts at 20 per cent.

READ MORE: Canadian jobs attracting more interest from India amid U.S. immigration tension, report says

Low-income earners also wanted to leave America at record levels, with 30 per cent saying they would migrate if they could — that number was 13 per cent under Obama.

I highlighted the last part of the article.

It is not surprising Big Steve that the ones most attracted to Canada are young people, Democrats and also low income people. You don't get enough good safety net services in the USA.

Also, if you have to work you can earn more on average in Canada over time. There are less restrictions. The entire process is more attractive for people who need good paying jobs, and less red tape than what the USA is providing.

People don't really move to a nation because they love it with all their heart, or because American culture is the best in the world. No one says that Steve. People move for the purse. Because their wages go up and they can buy a home easier or save money to go back to their country, or they can get an education, or a job easier...some very real economic advantage. It is the reality of most nations.

A country having more resources for jobs and being able to pay bills with less stress involved is the main reason for immigrating for people between the ages of 18-50. After that? People immigrate to retire.

High unemployment places with war and unstable governments and high crime rates, chaos and lack of any economic opportunities are abandoned quickly. Not because people love the adventure. It is because the idea of staying and fighting means either death, injury, and poverty and persecution or absolute destitution in the future. People don't like being exploited, paid shit wages, not being able to buy a house ever, being worried about crime all day, and having corrupt governments with incompetent politicians, ineffective laws, oppressive social lives, and lack of progress.

The world is that way. Again, the solution is for people to stop being asshole nationalists who don't even understand that capitalism is internationalist, and the workers are too...they will move from country to country til they find a job they can live off of. They will move and find a way in...if that was not true humanity would have died off in the ice ages Steve. That is the reality. It has been that way for millenia. Got to stop the bullshit thinking one can keep stem to need to survive in the homo sapien species and start being smart in foreign policy. And realize that you got to make sure that ALL nations have stability and jobs and well educated citizens because if you don't? They will be knocking on the door of the nations who still function.
Last edited by Tainari88 on 17 Oct 2019 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Godstud wrote:If someone's LOYALTY is in question, then their citizenship is most certainly important, @BigSteve. I am amazed that you cannot comprehend such a simple and obvious thing.

I absolutely agree.

In the piece YOU linked to, it's stated that he is relinquishing his US citizenship, which should pretty much answer any question regarding where his loyalties lie.

I am amazed that you cannot comprehend such a simple and obvious thing...
Tainari88 wrote:Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores. That is the agency that processes foreign visas for non Mexicans.

Canada has a consulate in Mexico and many cities all over Mexico. Canadians are everywhere in Mexico. As tourists, businesspeople, etc. They love leaving the cold behind for months every year.

I just find it somewhat interesting that Canadian expats are in Mexico City discussing with Mexicans what Americans are allegedly doing in Canada...
Tainari88 wrote:[highlight=yellow]It is not surprising Big Steve that the ones most attracted to Canada are young people, Democrats and also low income people. You don't get enough good safety net services in the USA.

No, it's not. Historically, young people and Democrats are the ones who want to expend as little effort as possible. It's sad, really, that America has raised an entire generation of lazy little fucks who are afraid to go to work and earn what they want.

And I'm not certain what you mean by "safety net" services. That sounds like something millennials need when they don't get everything they want...
BigSteve wrote:I just find it somewhat interesting that Canadian expats are in Mexico City discussing with Mexicans what Americans are allegedly doing in Canada...

Steve the world doesn't think exactly like you do at all. Most people living in other countries are not nationalists like you are.

I hate nationalism in general. I associate it with limited mentalities.

No such thing as only my nation has human beings I care about and everyone else can go to hell.

That shit is for WWII types of the third way. Look what happened to them? Not good.

Whenever people start thinking only Italy is good and the world is bad, Germany is the only decent country and the rest suck, only fill in the blank country and the rest are no good? Fools.

Good nationalists are those who know their nation is being attacked and are defending their homes from aggression and afterwards, help all other countries and other people with generous spirits and good attitudes and are humble about who they are....

They are people of good character by being inclusive of many others. That is what is healthy nationalism. Unhealthy nationalism? Throwing people in ovens and putting them in concentration camps and shooting them because they are from a different religion, color of skin, speak a different language, are people who don't agree with your style of living. Period.

Those are the ones who spout a lot of stupid rhetoric about being superior and knowing their country is the best because? They make up shit about how this or that is equivalent to greatness Steve.

They fail to realize that in almost all of humanity's history, the vast majority of great accomplishments are the achievements of the huge variation of groups. All working without any thought of only one nation can do it all alone or produce all the answers.

The ones who think that way are not thinkers at all. They just swallow propaganda day and night and believe myths about humanity that doesn't exist.
Tainari88 wrote:Steve the world doesn't think exactly like you do at all. Most people living in other countries are not nationalists like you are.

I hate nationalism in general. I associate it with limited mentalities.

No such thing as only my nation has human beings I care about and everyone else can go to hell.

That shit is for WWII types of the third way. Look what happened to them? Not good.

Whenever people start thinking only Italy is good and the world is bad, Germany is the only decent country and the rest suck, only fill in the blank country and the rest are no good? Fools.

Good nationalists are those who know their nation is being attacked and are defending their homes from aggression and afterwards, help all other countries and other people with generous spirits and good attitudes and are humble about who they are....

They are people of good character by being inclusive of many others. That is what is healthy nationalism. Unhealthy nationalism? Throwing people in ovens and putting them in concentration camps and shooting them because they are from a different religion, color of skin, speak a different language, are people who don't agree with your style of living. Period.

Those are the ones who spout a lot of stupid rhetoric about being superior and knowing their country is the best because? They make up shit about how this or that is equivalent to greatness Steve.

They fail to realize that in almost all of humanity's history, the vast majority of great accomplishments are the achievements of the huge variation of groups. All working without any thought of only one nation can do it all alone or produce all the answers.

The ones who think that way are not thinkers at all. They just swallow propaganda day and night and believe myths about humanity that doesn't exist.

Wow, you're really the queen of over-analyzation, aren't you?

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]