EU-BREXIT - Page 288 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
User avatar
By Nonsense
#15043635
foxdemon wrote:So basically, the UK is a member of the EU until one of the other EU states decides to veto an extension. Will Spain threaten to veto a future extension request if they don’t get Gibraltar? Will Ireland threaten to veto a future extension request if they don’t get N Ireland?

This weakness on the behalf of the British political establishment can only serve to further infuriate the public.


Yes Ireland can do so, because the question depends on a unanimous decision.

Considering BOycey's assertion that we are still subject, whilst under A50 notification,to E.U laws,then, if that were the case, we would then be entitled to decide on that extension, which, in effect, we have, 'unilaterally', by not wanting one, unless you believe that the extension letter by parliament is bona fide, in which case, that would violate the Geneva Convention on international treaties.


That is so, because such treaties, as I have previously stated, are made by government-government, not by parliament-parliament, the latter, of which is necessary for any treaty to pass & be ratified.

Put it this way, if we had full rights during the notification period, then BoJo could veto that extension request when it is considered in the E.U as a participating member, that we cannot, is because we are under A50 notification, which puts restrictions on the U.K for obvious reasons.

So, if 27 members voted to extend, the U.K government minister could use the veto to block the extension & we would then leave without a deal.
By SolarCross
#15043637
B0ycey wrote:Parlament pass acts that become laws. Today you have learnt something new I guess.


It is spelled "parliament", so I guess we are both learning. They aren't real laws they are only statutes, acts of law. The UK is not a Napoleonic dictatorship, though I know fuhrer cults are your preference.
Last edited by SolarCross on 20 Oct 2019 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
#15043644
B0ycey wrote:
You best quote this as I have never said that.

I have said the second letter breaks the law because it undermines the first letter and it is Johnson himself that is obliged to seek an extention.


I did quote it previously.

B0ycey wrote:The second letter clearly isn't seeking an extention which he is legally obliged to do and something I am repeating in every post I have written and something you haven't addressed as you just mention the first letter.
By foxdemon
#15043646
B0ycey wrote:I have learnt something new. Best inform the government then. Their website is spelt wrong.

https://www.parliament.uk



In Australia, we use spelled or spelt depending on whom we wish to annoy. So it is spelled for the English and spelt for the Americans. The Australian Labor Party uses that spelling of labour for the same reason.

As to whether or not we will start using pronunciations remains to be decided. I still just can’t get used to pronouncing human as ‘ooman or herb as ‘erb.
#15043648
BeesKnee5 wrote:I did quote it previously.


So Johnson needs to seek an extention. Gotcha. Funny as isn't that what I have been saying? Although perhaps I should have wrote it better and said that the second letter is actively not seeking an extention which Johnson himself is legally obliged to do to stop your confusion that it isn't the contents of the letter that isn't legal but Johnsons obligations that he is actively discouraging the extention within the letter that is.
Last edited by B0ycey on 20 Oct 2019 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
By B0ycey
#15043649
foxdemon wrote:In Australia, we use spelled or spelt depending on whom we wish to annoy. So it is spelled for the English and spelt for the Americans. The Australian Labor Party uses that spelling of labour for the same reason.

As to whether or not we will start using pronunciations remains to be decided. I still just can’t get used to pronouncing human as ‘ooman or herb as ‘erb.


Thanks. Potemkin will be proud of you. I am more concerned with clarity than spelling or grammar in a forum where posts are written in haste. Although I do find it amusing that SolarCross picked up on a spelling error and then spells the same word wrong. :lol:
#15043657
B0ycey wrote:
So Johnson needs to seek an extention. Gotcha. Funny as isn't that what I have been saying? Although perhaps I should have wrote it better and said that the second letter is actively not seeking an extention which Johnson himself is legallery obliged to do to stop your confusion that it isn't the contents of the letter that isn't legal but Johnsons obligations that he is actively discouraging within the letter that is.


I understand your argument and I am not confused. Still remains the case that the prime minister has sought an extension using the words the legislation demands. The second letter is an opinion piece with no legal weight as the request has been accepted.

Your opinion of this is exactly what 10 Downing Street are after and what they leaked to their journalistic mouthpieces last night ( Peston and Shippers) to get the story out that BoJo is defying the extension request. All part of the people v parliament game he's been playing for weeks.

A couple of law experts view of this
By foxdemon
#15043661
B0ycey wrote:Thanks. Potemkin will be proud of you. I am more concerned with clarity than spelling or grammar in a forum where posts are written in haste. Although I do find it amusing that SolarCross picked up on a spelling error and then spells the same word wrong. :lol:



Well, there is a strong Scottish influence in Australian culture. I think we should pause for a moment’s silence to show our respect for the non-English speakers and their struggles to learn the language.

“The soaring eagle saw that the man now had a sore on his hand after slipping while sawing the wood.”

No doubt there are many amongst them that suspect the English language was deliberately concocted as a crime against ‘oomanity.
By snapdragon
#15043662
I marched yesterday. The mood was very different this time, but it was very heartening to see the number of elderly people who made the effort, despite their infirmities.

What was also different, were the very few placards boosting Corbyn. I didn't see any, in fact; although one person's suggested Labour get a proper leader, though not so politely.

I've read Nonsense's post twice and I just don't know what to say to him. How can anyone be so wrong? Now maybe some of you understand why I have doubts he's British.

All we want is a vote, for ffs. What could be more democratic than that?
User avatar
By ingliz
#15043669
foxdemon wrote:So it is spelled for the English and spelt for the Americans

Wrong.

You can use "spelt" or "spelled" in UK English.

Both are correct.

BTW In American English "spelt" is always "spelled", so you're wrong on that as well ( Unless, of course, you're Canadian. Canadians, like the English, use both spellings too, interchangeably).


:)
User avatar
By Beren
#15043673
So Johnson duped and dumped the DUP, bent over to he Irish and the EU and even sent that goddamn letter, that's what makes an ultimate Brexit hero I guess, while Nigel Farage is being marginalised. On the other hand, while all his lieutenants are attending a huge People's Vote rally in Westminster, as man of real issues Corbyn must be busy quietly solving the homelessness problem somewhere. :excited:
Last edited by Beren on 20 Oct 2019 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
By foxdemon
#15043675
ingliz wrote:Wrong.

You can use "spelt" or "spelled" in UK English.

Both are correct.

BTW In American English "spelt" is always "spelled", so you're wrong on that as well ( Unless, of course, you're Canadian. Canadians, like the English, use both spellings too, interchangeably.).


:)



To allow ‘spelled’ is to concede to American cultural dominance, regardless of historical precedents prior to the start of the 20th century. Therefore the British must insist that ‘spelt’ is in fact the correct version of the Queen’s own English.

However, a good argument could be made that ‘spelled or spelt’ can be used, provided it is pronounced ‘spelt’, given that such a convention will serve to further the suffering of non-English speakers trying to learn the language.
By late
#15043677
snapdragon wrote:
I've read Nonsense's post twice and I just don't know what to say to him. How can anyone be so wrong? Now maybe some of you understand why I have doubts he's British.

All we want is a vote, for ffs. What could be more democratic than that?



"You're only as good as your sources" and he isn't telling us where he gets his goofy.

Another vote should be the way out. But the politicians seem too spooked, by what's happened due to the last vote, to try it again.
By Rich
#15043691
SolarCross wrote:It is not a real law because technically all acts of parliament are just corporate policy "acting" like law. Statutes of parliament are law substitutes, like saccharin is fake sugar.

Real laws are things like "thou shalt not kill",

What? :?: What state has ever had that as a law? I know states have had some dumb laws in their time, but none has had a leadership as stupid as that. Who was the retard that originally made that translation from the Hebrew?
User avatar
By Nonsense
#15043713
B0ycey wrote:Thanks. Potemkin will be proud of you. I am more concerned with clarity than spelling or grammar in a forum where posts are written in haste. Although I do find it amusing that SolarCross picked up on a spelling error and then spells the same word wrong. :lol:


:lol: :lol: :lol: That's funny,because in post: #15043648 , you spelt , or 'spelled' incorrectly, the word extension, as "extention", just saying, as I thought I might as well mention it,after all, learning adds to the sum total of knowledge & all that nonsense. :lol: :lol: :lol:
By B0ycey
#15043719
Nonsense wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: That's funny,because in post: #15043648 , you spelt , or 'spelled' incorrectly, the word extension, as "extention", just saying, as I thought I might as well mention it,after all, learning adds to the sum total of knowledge & all that nonsense. :lol: :lol: :lol:


Don't worry Nonsense. I never proof read and I always use my phone. It has a habit of changing spellings or words plus I might spell words incorrectly too. I don't care because I am not the one who picks up on peoples spelling errors or grammar mistakes and make a song and dance about it as I will do it myself. Which is why when SolarCross pointed out I spelt parliament wrong he should have triple checked he spelt it right. :lol:
User avatar
By Nonsense
#15043720
snapdragon wrote:I marched yesterday. The mood was very different this time, but it was very heartening to see the number of elderly people who made the effort, despite their infirmities.

What was also different, were the very few placards boosting Corbyn. I didn't see any, in fact; although one person's suggested Labour get a proper leader, though not so politely.

I've read Nonsense's post twice and I just don't know what to say to him. How can anyone be so wrong? Now maybe some of you understand why I have doubts he's British.

All we want is a vote, for ffs. What could be more democratic than that?



Don't wory about it SD, you can't help your own inadequacies, which is why all 'remainers' think that they are 'right' & everyone else is 'wrong'.

I think that, considering your attendance at the march, you have more important things to consider, such as your 'sanity'. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will let you into a little 'secret' though, I am not 'British', I am English. 8)
User avatar
By Nonsense
#15043728
B0ycey wrote:Don't worry Nonsense. I never proof read and I always use my phone. It has a habit of changing spellings or words plus I might spell words incorrectly too. I don't care because I am not the one who picks up on peoples spelling errors or grammar mistakes and make a song and dance about it as I will do it myself. Which is why when SolarCross pointed out I spelt parliament wrong he should have triple checked he spelt it right. :lol:


That's okay BOycey, at least you haven't taken my post the 'wrong' way. :peace:
User avatar
By Nonsense
#15043729
BeesKnee5 wrote:Johnson hasn't broken the law, Tusk has accepted the extension request and therefore it's done.

Labour have just announced they are tabling three amendments. Referendum on the deal, clause to enter customs Union and one to close loophole of no deal at end of transition.

All sounds sensible to me


:hmm: Well, no, it's not 'sensible' at all.

The 'backstop' was a device,meant to keep the U.K in the Customs Union, now that the new deal has eliminated that possibility, along comes Labour(again)with their irrational desire to wind back the clock, they have completely lost the plot & are totally disorientated by those deceitful 'plots'.

We had a referendum in 2016, that was democratic, it was final,that was, as the in-fashionista's of Labour might assert, 'confirmatory'(final..fineto), with no desire or necessity to rewind the clock at all.

The idea to 'close any 'loophole' at the end of the transition period' is pie-in-the-sky, because Labour will have lost a general election by a wide margin & BoJo may,just may, have a 'landslide' victory,not quite 'Thatcherite', but significant nonetheless by that time.

As with rewinding the clock,the last example is to attempt to shackle a future government with an outdated piece of fractious legislation that will simply be dismissed by a new Tory government with a decent working majority.

That scenario is down to CORBYN's Liberal tactic, of sitting on the fence, then, when under pressure by the 'BLAIRITE's' within his 'remain' party, he scrapes himself off the fence, only to fall flat on his face into the 'remain' camp,then, into political oblivion for himself & the party that he 'leads'.
  • 1
  • 286
  • 287
  • 288
  • 289
  • 290
  • 304
AOC is a rock star...

AOC and Mark Zuckerberg: https://youtu.be/kitfFt[…]

Good I missed your updates. I've been following A[…]

Undocumented Aliens and Crime

@Pants-of-dog one of the highest crime cities in[…]

The solutions were presented above. No. Y[…]