Canadian Federal Election - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15043773
foxdemon wrote:Just out of curiosity, do Chileans care about Argentine elections?


I honestly have no clue.

For what it is worth, the topic does not come up often in my family.
#15043980
Election time. (It was only 50 days from the start to the end - Thank the gods)
I voted. :D

I predict a Liberal Minority. The PCs will be the official opposition. I hoped better for NDP and Green, but it's not their time, yet.

@foxdemon Few countries are inundated with American politics, like Canada is. A lot of our policies actual come about as a result of this close relationship with the USA. Most media, in the USA, and there is lots of it, is very political. It's everywhere.

eg. Legalization of marijuana only became a possibility after several US states started legalizing it. It's simply not a reasonable issue before that, with the USA so heavily anti-drug.
#15044005
This is unfolding much as I thought it might. Elizabeth May (green) won strongly here. I expect she'll vote along with Trudeau's party. Handsome Justin is on track to win with a v mini majority. The NDP, I thought would have done better. But the good news is, the Tories lost. Praise the Lord.
#15044059
I voted NDP but their time hasn't come, just yet. They did relatively well, though and maybe Singh and Trudeau will form a coalition. All in all, I am very happy with the results of the election.
#15044084
So according to the Canadian never Trumpers, Canada reelected a racist. If you voted for Trudeau you are in fact a racist. Stay consistent ay.

There are many Canadian who, if they were American, would be "never Trumpers".. but that term by itself is an Americanism that is not politically relevant within Canadian politics. Generic SJW, maybe bleeding heart liberal (small 'L') would be more apt. Trudeau's black face may have had more impact internationally, especially to those expecting Canada to be equivalent to America, than nationally.


---


Haven't we seen this before? Liberals minority governs with help from the NDP over the Cons.

More interesting, IMO,
1) Is that the Cons got the highest share of voters but fewer seats than the Liberals.. but the rest of the parties had even fewer gains given the amount of votes they got. As much as the Conservatives will be annoyed over First Past the Post versus the Liberals, I suspect they will keep their calls for reform quiet as proportional would make them much weaker and (given historical Con. turn out) end the possibility of them ever forming government again.

2) A commentator on CBC/Global (I used both) mentioned that this is actually a pretty bad showing for Trudeau - Conservatives had a new face (with some unlikable traits for centrists like me) and Singh is new too. I wouldnt call this a bad showing for him, but perhaps it could be called a reflection of general opinion: supported, but toned down.
#15044087
Thunderhawk wrote:There are many Canadian who, if they were American, would be "never Trumpers".. but that term by itself is an Americanism that is not politically relevant within Canadian politics. Generic SJW, maybe bleeding heart liberal (small 'L') would be more apt. Trudeau's black face may have had more impact internationally, especially to those expecting Canada to be equivalent to America, than nationally.


They seem to have a big opinion about it on POFO. My post is more tongue and cheek and is about how they can dish it put but not take it. all in fun

Over all it shows that hypocrisy and liberals is not just an American thing.
#15044089
Finfinder wrote:So according to the Canadian never Trumpers, Canada reelected a racist.
:lol: Most Canadians recognize that Trudeau being stupid 18 years ago, when he was in college, isn't relevant to what he is now. Most Canadians saw thru this smear campaign, as well.

Finfinder wrote:If you voted for Trudeau you are in fact a racist.
:roll: That's a simply stupid statement, not based in fact. Emotional melodrama.

Thunderhawk is correct. Americanisms don't work in Canada. Most Canadians would be "Never Trumpers", as even our most right-wing politics are left wing by American standards.

I voted NDP, but I recognize that Trudeau would likely win a minority government.

Finfinder wrote:My post is more tongue and cheek and is about how they can dish it put but not take it.
Yes, we know your post is just trolling crap. :O

Finfinder wrote:Over all it shows that hypocrisy and liberals is not just an American thing.
No, that's a very silly conclusion to draw.
#15044092
Godstud wrote::lol: Most Canadians recognize that Trudeau being stupid 18 years ago, when he was in college, isn't relevant to what he is now. Most Canadians saw thru this smear campaign, as well.

:roll: That's a simply stupid statement, not based in fact. Emotional melodrama.

Thunderhawk is correct. Americanisms don't work in Canada. Most Canadians would be "Never Trumpers", as even our most right-wing politics are left wing by American standards.

I voted NDP, but I recognize that Trudeau would likely win a minority government.

Yes, we know your post is just trolling crap. :O

No, that's a very silly conclusion to draw.


Yea so what why are you getting so upset because I'm right?


Do you think Americans would ever elected a president who wore blackface?
#15044094
Upset? You're not right, and you are somehow thinking I am upset because of that? :roll:

I don't care what Americans would do, as they elected a criminal narcissistic tv-show host.

A man is more than what he did in college, no matter how much in bad taste it was, 18 years ago. What he did was dumb, but not criminal, and his policies have proven that he is not, in fact, a racist.

The smear campaign failed, as Canadians saw thru it.
#15044104
Godstud wrote:Upset? You're not right, and you are somehow thinking I am upset because of that? :roll:

I don't care what Americans would do, as they elected a criminal narcissistic tv-show host.

A man is more than what he did in college, no matter how much in bad taste it was, 18 years ago. What he did was dumb, but not criminal, and his policies have proven that he is not, in fact, a racist.

The smear campaign failed, as Canadians saw thru it.




Im just here pointing out the hypocrisy. The same is true for the smear campaign on Bret Kavanaugh what part did your ilk participate in? Rhetorical :lol
#15044108
Thunderhawk wrote:There are many Canadian who, if they were American, would be "never Trumpers".. but that term by itself is an Americanism that is not politically relevant within Canadian politics. Generic SJW, maybe bleeding heart liberal (small 'L') would be more apt. Trudeau's black face may have had more impact internationally, especially to those expecting Canada to be equivalent to America, than nationally.


I think that progressives who actually think Trudeau was or is racist have far better things to criticise Trudeau about than his blackface routine.

Like the whole MMIW thing.

Haven't we seen this before? Liberals minority governs with help from the NDP over the Cons.


It is one of the reasons that third parties stay relevant in Canadian politics, in my opinion.

More interesting, IMO,
1) Is that the Cons got the highest share of voters but fewer seats than the Liberals.. but the rest of the parties had even fewer gains given the amount of votes they got. As much as the Conservatives will be annoyed over First Past the Post versus the Liberals, I suspect they will keep their calls for reform quiet as proportional would make them much weaker and (given historical Con. turn out) end the possibility of them ever forming government again.


The pollsters nailed that one. It also shows how regional politics and the FPTP system have helped those parties that have focused on regional issues. Bloc got far less votes than the Greens and far more seats, while more people across the country voted Conservative, while Liberals focused on Quebec and Ontario, again.

2) A commentator on CBC/Global (I used both) mentioned that this is actually a pretty bad showing for Trudeau - Conservatives had a new face (with some unlikable traits for centrists like me) and Singh is new too. I wouldnt call this a bad showing for him, but perhaps it could be called a reflection of general opinion: supported, but toned down.


I think Trudeau actually got lucky this time, because of Scheer’s and Singh’s relative newness. He has not had a good time in the media in the last few months, and a seasoned opponent should have been able to defeat him.

If Scheer had just reached out to women, giving Raitt more camera time for example, he may have won.
#15044123
Finfinder wrote:So according to the Canadian never Trumpers, Canada reelected a racist. If you voted for Trudeau you are in fact a racist. Stay consistent ay.


As I wrote before, this was just damned daft but you must understand Canada is where browbeaten American Blacks came for freedom, land and a chance to run for office. It doesn't have quite the same impact up here. Damned daft? Yes. A mortal sin? No.
#15044141
Stormsmith wrote:As I wrote before, this was just damned daft but you must understand Canada is where browbeaten American Blacks came for freedom, land and a chance to run for office. It doesn't have quite the same impact up here. Damned daft? Yes. A mortal sin? No.



At least you are consistent in that there are a different set of rules for liberals in North America. I don't recall you using the term daft with Bret Kavanaugh (then again that was all a fabrication). Example:The liberals here are going absolutely insane today because Trump used the term, a modern day lynching.

daft made me think of Daft Punk :D
#15044150
Rancid wrote:Is Trudeau cabinet still 50/50 men/women?


We won't know for a while, Rancid. It usually takes a little time to figure out who can do what expertly



Finfinder wrote:

At least you are consistent in that there are a different set of rules for liberals in North America. I don't recall you using the term daft with Bret Kavanaugh (then again that was all a fabrication). Example:The liberals here are going absolutely insane today because Trump used the term, a modern day lynching.

daft made me think of Daft Punk :D


:lol:
Well, to be fair, both sides have a number of these borderline nuts. They're okay, I suppose, but they can make the Nightly News a tad dull. As for Kavanaugh, if you're referring to the sex thingee, I don't think I said much because any way you slice it, we can't know for certain. On the other hand, Kavanaugh tried v hard to deny a 17 year old, pregnant-by-rape, girl her right to an abortion. If I wrote on that, it would have been lengthy.
#15044158
Usually cabinet is made up of sitting House MPs. Trudeau lost at least two of these last night, both of them men. If he keeps as many as possible and continues his policy of appointing women (which would be easy as there are a lot of female Liberal MPs), then there is no reason to think the Cabinet will be 50% women.
#15044174
Godstud wrote:I voted NDP but their time hasn't come, just yet. They did relatively well, though and maybe Singh and Trudeau will form a coalition. All in all, I am very happy with the results of the election.

The NDP lost almost half of their seats, so Singh should offer his resignation or something, I guess, although they can be kingmakers this time.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Usually cabinet is made up of sitting House MPs. Trudeau lost at least two of these last night, both of them men. If he keeps as many as possible and continues his policy of appointing women (which would be easy as there are a lot of female Liberal MPs), then there is no reason to think the Cabinet will be 50% women.

More than half of his voters are women anyway, I suppose.

And... @Hong Wu :lol:
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
Another school shooting

[...] You ever heard of this thing we have in the[…]

The idea that we can get more gas and oil from th[…]

I agree! However, the killing methods are vastly[…]

The assumption of Chinese ill-intention, in the f[…]