How this could end like Watergate - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
"With Trump’s numbers worsening, it will then become harder to maintain the illusion that Trump is somehow immune to normal political rules. By the time the poll numbers for removal inch up to somewhere in the range of 55 to 58 percent, it becomes clear Trump will almost certainly lose in 2020 — and worse, take the Senate down with him."

"Now his support really begins to collapse...he relies on another big chunk who don’t like him yet rely on him...Such transactional support might evaporate if Trump alienates so many independents that even his more tepid supporters conclude that come 2021, Democrats will be appointing all the judges. At that point, what’s the benefit of another year of Trump?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
late wrote:With Trump’s numbers worsening, it will then become harder to maintain the illusion that Trump is somehow immune to normal political rules.

There's no sign of Trump's numbers worsening over and beyond short term noise. Beyond the first two months of his Presidency his approval / disapproval ratings have shown remarkable stability. The persistent illusion seems to be amongst Liberals that they are just about to collapse,and his supporters will start wishing that Hilary had become President.
Rich wrote:
There's no sign of Trump's numbers worsening over and beyond short term noise. Beyond the first two months of his Presidency his approval / disapproval ratings have

Poll numbers for removal are rising:

"Currently, 48% support Trump's removal. That is two percentage points higher than last week and 11 points higher than on Sept. 25."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 069304002/
Trump is going to win. Watergate didn't happen until Nixon's second term. That's about as close to Watergate as this gets--that is, Trump gets a second term.
blackjack21 wrote:
Trump is going to win. Watergate didn't happen until Nixon's second term. That's about as close to Watergate as this gets--that is, Trump gets a second term.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
Santayana

Presidential elections are always a referendum on how things are going. Are you happy with the way things are going, or do you want a change.

The recent midterm elections suggest people badly want change.
late wrote:Are you happy with the way things are going, or do you want a change.

I'm happy. Things are good for me. I'm pretty golden right now. That may not be the same for everybody, but I've got it pretty good.

late wrote:The recent midterm elections suggest people badly want change.

They suggest Trump has coattails. He campaigned for Senators and gained seats. He didn't campaign for House vacancies, and lost the House. I don't think he cared that much, because of the betrayal on ObamaCare. However, I don't think he expected yet another bullshit impeachment inquiry. He was gullible enough to think he could work with House Democrats. Even the electorate has gotten tired of the Democrats and their bullshit. Trump has raised over $300M--more than all the other Democrats combined several times over. A lot of that is small donations, which means he can sustain that level of fundraising. His campaigning in special elections has helped turn both House and governorship races around too. So he's got a lot of work ahead of him if he wants the House back too. However, I think Republican members of Congress are quite surprised at the number of people at Trump rallies. He has coattails.
blackjack21 wrote:
I'm happy. Things are good for me. I'm pretty golden right now. That may not be the same for everybody, but I've got it pretty good.

They suggest Trump has coattails.

I was talking about the people. Poll suggest they are not happy campers.

Coattails means you bring more people in, not less. That's without counting the dozens of Republicans that have either already retired, or will soon. But I love the wacky fantasy world you live in. Reminds me of the 1960s... do you think hobbits are Republicans? That would be perfect.

By that definition, if you obtained a DNA a census[…]

Let me guess, this is going to be one of THOSE thr[…]

Yours is not history, just tinfoil-hat nonsense[…]

That was weird

I was watching the evening news, and they were cov[…]