Japan: young not getting married, not in relationship, not having sex - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Japan to Turkmenistan to New Zealand.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/ ... mJIEkxFx9A

Japan's younger generation is increasingly not in a relationship, are not getting married, and not having sex. This has severe future implications for population decline and aging demographics in the country. But just why are Japanese so single?

There are a couple of reasons. Probably the two biggest factors are video games, and many men being stuck in lower paid part-time positions that lack job security and don't go very far in high cost of living Japan.

A survey of Japanese people aged 18 to 34 found that almost 70 percent of unmarried men and 60 percent of unmarried women are not in a relationship.
Around 42 percent of the men and 44.2 percent of the women admitted they were virgins.
There are now many more virgins than in 2010, when the last study was conducted and when only 36.2 percent of men and 38.7 percent of women said they had never had sex.

It seems that while some Japanese men feel they have inadequate salaries to get married, the ones who do have successful jobs typically have punishingly long work schedules that limit their opportunities to meet women.

http://www.dw.com/en/why-fewer-japanese ... a-19349576

The high cost of living in Japan certainly does not seem to be conducive to marriage and raising families. (It's especially high in the urbanized areas where all the job opportunity is concentrated)​

"More than half of single women want their spouses to earn at least four million yen (33,794 euros, $38,270) a year," the report said. "Meanwhile, only 15.2 percent of single men in their 20s earn four million yen or more.

Watanabe believes there are several reasons why Japanese are not marrying younger, but the most significant one is economic. "There are many people who want to get married but they simply cannot take on the financial burden of a family," he said.

"One in three young people do not have a regular job and very little job security, so they sense all this psychological pressure over an uncertain future and so they opt to avoid that pressure by not getting married."​

So, if Japanese men do not earn enough, no family.
If they are too busy working all the time, no family.
So many are sort of caught in a Catch-22.
The problem is a poverty of both time and money combined together. But in Japan, workers in corporations are expected to work long hours if they are to be taken seriously and get promotions and higher paying positions.
This is leading to some quality of life problems, because there's no way they can earn enough money to comfortably have a family with the high cost of living while having any type of work-life balance.

This Japanese guy has some interesting (kind of funny) ideas about what to do to solve the problem:

Although his ideas may sound silly, they do give some insight into the unique situation in that country's society.
The American imperialists are manipulating the Japanese economy into what it is today, to destroy Japan, since they are scared of Japan. The States wants Japan to be destroyed because they are jealous.

The States is increasing the cost of living in Japan, to force the workers to work more to pay the Americans. Japan has to produce material not only for itself, but also for the States.

American culture is also hyper sexual, thus mocking the average person of Japan. Not only is the States imposing economic imperialism on Japan, but also cultural imperialism by mocking the populace of Japan.
SSDR wrote:
The American imperialists are manipulating the Japanese economy into what it is today, to destroy Japan, since they are scared of Japan. The States wants Japan to be destroyed because they are jealous.

The States is increasing the cost of living in Japan, to force the workers to work more to pay the Americans. Japan has to produce material not only for itself, but also for the States.

American culture is also hyper sexual, thus mocking the average person of Japan. Not only is the States imposing economic imperialism on Japan, but also cultural imperialism by mocking the populace of Japan.

Actually, Japan has been hustling us for decades.

Saying bad things about themselves is how they do it. But if you go to Japan, their subways are newer and nicer than ours. They have bullet trains and we do not. The cost of living is high, but that has nothing to do with us. Land is expensive because there isn't a lot of it. Food expensive because they have the toughest food standards in the world.

You really don't understand how market economies work. Everyone wants to export their goods.
late wrote:But if you go to Japan, their subways are newer and nicer than ours. They have bullet trains and we do not.

This is due to more advanced, precise labour capabilities, and proper wealth coordination.

More intelligent populations coordinate more of their energies and wealth into labour and research, rather than partying, socializing, and excessive relationships.
The cost of living is high, but that has nothing to do with us.

The American imperialists are making the Japanese economy more expensive to motivate the populace to produce more wealth for the American population. This is one reason why the States is very wealthy.
Land is expensive because there isn't a lot of it.

It is like that everywhere.
Food expensive because they have the toughest food standards in the world.

Having more advanced standards of food has nothing to do with economics.
You really don't understand how market economies work. Everyone wants to export their goods.

Japan does not want to produce all of this wealth for the American populace. If they did then they would not be complaining about how everything is getting more expensive.
Japan's "lost generation" is people now in their mid-30s to late 40s, whose careers never had a chance to take off. Among this generation is an unusually high percentage of people who are either jobless or forced to work as temporary staff, or in other non-regular positions. When they graduated from college 10-15 years ago, barely 50% of college graduates got regular office jobs and the majority of them were left out of the workforce. When they miss the first chance to get employed as new college graduates, there is no second chance. Naturally, they don't have enough money to get married and raise children.
SSDR wrote:
This is due to more advanced, precise labour capabilities, and proper wealth coordination.

More intelligent populations coordinate more of their energies and wealth into labour and research, rather than partying, socializing, and excessive relationships.

The American imperialists are making the Japanese economy more expensive to motivate the populace to produce more wealth for the American population. This is one reason why the States is very wealthy.

It is like that everywhere.

Having more advanced standards of food has nothing to do with economics.

Japan does not want to produce all of this wealth for the American populace. If they did then they would not be complaining about how everything is getting more expensive.

Like I said, your understanding of market economies is limited.

We let them get big shares in our markets as part of maintaining hegemony. We also shouldered much of the cost of defense in Japan, and Europe. Over time, that hurts.
Japan's younger generation is increasingly not in a relationship, are not getting married, and not having sex. This has severe future implications for population decline and aging demographics in the country. But just why are Japanese so single?

What do they do if they are not having sex and not in a relationship? And not even shopping for a wedding kimono or something? Lol.

It seems this is very common all over the world. People who can't afford to date, be in a serious relationship, or pay for a formal wedding and go and have a baby. It is really bad. People need some love mi gente!!

Get some love!!
My cousins say that the economy in Taiwan is rough too. There are thousands and thousands of people applying for the same jobs. They told me not to try to find work in Asia and I am glad I heeded their advice.

The Internet has created more young perverts. It makes people so dumb that they forgot how to go outside and mingle with others offline.
South Korea is ahead of Japan on this trend and young Koreans are called as the "sampo generation," who have given up on dating, marriage and children. South Korea is among the countries with the lowest fertility in the world with the average births per woman were slightly above 1 in 2016. This article written by Yue Qian, an Assistant Professor of Sociology at the University of British Columbia, points to the rise of feminism as one of the main causes of the country's declining fertility rate. For Korean women, getting married is no longer an attractive option. Women do over 80 per cent of the housework, whereas their husbands do less than 20 per cent in Korea. With more career opportunities outside marriage, highly educated women are more likely to delay or forgo marriage.

Recent reports about a sex recession among young Americans aside, the concept of dating and mating is reasonably engrained in daily life in the West. In sharp contrast, in South Korea, 40 per cent of people in their 20s and 30s appear to have quit dating altogether.

Today, many refer to young Koreans as the "sampo generation" (literally, "giving up on three") because they have given up on these three things: dating, marriage and children.

My research shows that in 2006, 46 per cent of married Korean women between 25 and 54 were full-time housewives; Korean wives, many of whom are working outside of the home, did over 80 per cent of the housework, whereas their husbands did less than 20 per cent.

Women have gained more opportunities outside marriage, but within marriage, men have not correspondingly increased their contribution to housework and childcare. As a result, for many women, being married is no longer an attractive option. With diminishing returns to gender-specialized marriage for highly educated women, they are likely to delay or forgo marriage.

Another important reason young Koreans are giving up on dating, getting married and raising kids is the growing economic uncertainty and financial hardships. Many young Koreans work at precarious jobs, with low pay and little job and income security.

https://phys.org/news/2019-02-young-peo ... forts.html
This is the new rule all over the world. Men and women are not getting married and they are having much less sex. The number of incels is climbing and the number of women that picked a career over family that are now childless with no family is also climbing.

The only exception is Sub-Sahara Africa.

Murray has written a book about this change in demographics.
in 1960 94% of middle to upper class white collar people were married . IN 2010n the rate was 84%.

Blue collars had a marriage rate of 84% in 1960 . IN 2010 the rate was 46%. This is a shocking devastating change.

Colins wrote:I think asians treat their children as babies until adulthood, therefore they are not independent and behave like children

That is a wild statement to make. What evidence do you have to support that?

I am an Asian and I was not treated as a baby until 18. I learned to take care of my needs early on, started driving as early as 15, got my license at 16. I drove myself as soon as I had that license. Fifteen years later, I have a full time job with benefits. I worked from retail up to my current desk job. I learned to be an adult and managers treat me like an adult.

What do you mean, asians behave like children?

https://youtu.be/zKwZH8MvPj8?si=pR50awzGXEk26OHX […]

Again, this is not some sort of weird therapy w[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake […]

Ukraine already has cruise missiles (Storm Shadow)[…]