It won't work - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By late
In the 50s and 60s, the Republican party was dominated by the East Coast Establishment. They were conservative economically, but moderate socially.

It took over a generation, but the moderates got pushed out. The ones that remain, like Sue Collins, talk moderate, but vote with the crazies most of the time.

They now dominate the Democrat party, which is a topic for another day.

The Republican party is now largely controlled by a mix of wealthy Right wingnuts like the Koch brothers, racists and extremists.

Which is to say they can't be honest. Ever.

This actually started way back in the 1960s, but it has reached a peak with Trump. So basically they are almost all lies all the time.

It's also why their attempts to sabotage the impeachment will fail. They painted themselves into a corner. The usual antics (like the Climate Change insanity) are designed to prevent the formation of consensus. It's a subtle, but powerful, improvement on traditional propaganda.

But it can't usually break consensus. And that's where their woes begin. By now almost everyone knows what they are doing, and why. Which means when they pull their stunts, it's going to hurt them more than the other guy. Just look at the last couple of elections, if you don't believe me.

So Trump is going to get impeached. It's unfortunate the process isn't more like a courtroom. Trump should face the music for everything he's done. But impeachment is political. The impeachment of Andrew Johnson failed because they threw the book at him. People need a simple narrative.

I started comparing Russiagate to Watergate a couple years ago, and it was kinda lonely for a while there. But I was, of course, correct. I think the vote to convict will be close. But I am not making predictions. But I would point out that a lot of Republicans are painfully aware their careers are in jeopardy. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

My personal feeling, and it's just a feeling, is that there will be enough votes to convict, in the Senate, and not a single vote more. But if disappointment was an Olympic event, most years Republicans would get the gold.

Now the argument seems to be changing and words by[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

This doesn't make sense, though you have managed […]

You're funny. https://www.amazon.co[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The Israeli government could have simply told UNRW[…]