Evo Morales Gets Bounced; Seeks Asylum in Mexico - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Potemkin wrote:I can imagine....

Your opinion is incorrect.

Can't have a popular left-winger winning too often, now can we...?

She is not retiring because she feels there should be term limits in Germany, but simply because she personally has had enough. Governing a country is an incredibly difficult and tiring job.

Ignoring the result of the referendum and getting the Bolivian equivalent of the Supreme Court to overturn the law on term limits was a political error. If you're simply going to ignore the result, then why hold the referendum in the first place? But I repeat: Morales' election as President of Bolivia was legal, and the military coup d'etat which overthrew him was illegal. And given the composition of both chambers, in which Morales has a 2/3 majority, the coup leaders will have no choice but to govern as a dictatorship.

Not really. I am against any leader from left and right being in power for too long. I am critysizing Merkel here who is a right wing christian democrat. I am also have no problem with left parties being in power. You often time see me praising social democrats from Northern Europe as you know. As i mentioned before they can be an example for SA. Social democrats in Sweden have been in power since 1917 with some mishaps here and there. But they peacefully surrendered power and went to opposition. Then won again and ruled either with majorities or minority governments along with the communists or some other parties. (Farmer party? Something like that) I think they even won the majority of the vote in EVERY election since 1917.

As for Bolivias future. I think a new elections need to be held for all offices so that Moraleses party can win just under another leader or several leadership candidate. That is basically it. Will they win an outright majority in every office? May be after all of these events. But that will at least calm down the country one way or the other. If they don't get an overall majority everywhere then compromise with other parties.
Potemkin wrote:Ignoring the result of the referendum and getting the Bolivian equivalent of the Supreme Court to overturn the law on term limits was a political error. If you're simply going to ignore the result, then why hold the referendum in the first place?

Because the Bolivian constitution demands a referendum. A constitutional amendment has to be approved by 2/3 of the Pluri-National Legislative Assembly, then by the people in a referendum.

Potemkin wrote:But I repeat: Morales' election as President of Bolivia was legal

To the extent electoral fraud is legal I suppose :roll:

Potemkin wrote:Yes, you are.

:roll:
JohnRawls wrote:As for Bolivias future. I think a new elections need to be held for all offices so that Moraleses party can win just under another leader or several leadership candidate. That is basically it. Will they win an outright majority in every office? May be after all of these events. But that will at least calm down the country one way or the other. If they don't get an overall majority everywhere then compromise with other parties.

The current regime in Bolivia will not hold free and fair elections any time soon, if ever. They would have to be crazy to do that. What if Morales wins a thumping majority in those elections (as he well might)? What do you think he would do next? He would round the fuckers up and arrest them all, before they stage another coup against him again, as they surely would. They can't even take the risk. They're not that crazy. No, the coup leaders have no choice but to govern Bolivia as a dictatorship. What else can they do?
Potemkin wrote:The current regime in Bolivia will not hold free and fair elections any time soon, if ever. They would have to be crazy to do that. What if Morales wins a thumping majority in those elections (as he well might)? What do you think he would do next? He would round the fuckers up and arrest them all, before they stage another coup against him again, as they surely would. They can't even take the risk. They're not that crazy. No, the coup leaders have no choice but to govern Bolivia as a dictatorship. What else can they do?

Both sides need to start building trust between each other because this will only continue if they dont. For there to be stability both need to accept shifts from left right or centre. If Moraleses party wins an outright majority so be it. The left forces should demand an election while the right/Christian forses should accept any result that follows as long as Morales is not the leader. This also includes no purges from left or right.
JohnRawls wrote:Both sides need to start building trust between each other because this will only continue if they dont. For there to be stability both need to accept shifts from left right or centre. If Moraleses party wins an outright majority so be it. The left forces should demand an election while the right/Christian forses should accept any result that follows as long as Morales is not the leader. This also includes no purges from left or right.

None of the scenarios you describe will happen, and nor can they happen. Not unless either Morales or the coup leaders, or both, are terminally stupid. The coup leaders have committed a serious crime, and they have no choice but to press on and impose their will on the country by force. They can't back down now by promising free and fair elections. That would be suicidal.
Potemkin wrote:None of the scenarios you describe will happen, and nor can they happen. Not unless either Morales or the coup leaders, or both, are terminally stupid. The coup leaders have committed a serious crime, and they have no choice but to press on and impose their will on the country by force. They can't back down now by promising free and fair elections. That would be suicidal.

If there is a will then it is possible to overcome this situation. People have gone back from worse. I am not 100 percent sure if there is a will from both sides. What I know is that if nothing changes then this situation will continue to happen again and again. People got amnesties for civil war killings, ousting Morales in a coup when he de facto but not de juro violated term can be also excused. Same thing for the Moraleses party, they can be also excused for going along with it.
skinster wrote:You might as well have shared the U.S. State Dept's statement on Bolivia.

Here's a funny fact.

In 2015 the president of Honduras, Juan Jose Orlando Hernández, a right-winger, decided he wanted a second term. That was not allowed by the constitution of Honduras, but the Supreme Court changed it for him (now we know where Morales got the inspiration from).

In 2017 he won the election by a narrow margin. The Organization of American States (OAS) found widespread irregularities and doubted the validity of the official results. It called for fresh elections. Pretty much the same as it did in Bolivia in 2019. Luis Almagro (former foreign minister of Uruguay) was the Secretary General of the OAS back in 2015 and still is now.

No doubt every left-wing news site on this planet cited the OAS' report as evidence of electoral fraud. But now, when it concerns Morales, a left-winger, suddenly the OAS is supposed to be biased and controlled by Washington.

Just goes to show how pathetic certain left-wingers are.
Just goes to show how pathetic certain left-wingers are.

Or, it shows how pathetic the former colonial nations are and all of their organizations and NGOs and other fig-leaf astro-turf shit. OAS = CIA

Why not just quote the CIA (or Mossad, or Jeffrey Epstein's lawyers) about "what's really happening in Bolivia." They for sure will tell you the truth because they are Triple-Platinum Jesuit priests who would rather cut out their own tongues than lie. :lol:

I notice that the German government just recognized that coup woman. Noted for the next time the Russians need to kick some German ass. "Bolivia recognizes the new Shah of Germanistan, Sergei Vasalprov."
Last edited by QatzelOk on 19 Nov 2019 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
From 2016:

Culture Foundation wrote:The US Is Preparing to Oust President Evo Morales
Nil Nikandrov June 9, 2016

US intelligence agencies have ramped up their operations intended to remove Bolivian President Evo Morales from office. All options are on the table, including assassination. Barack Obama, who sees the weakening of Latin America’s “hostile bloc of populist states” as one of his administration’s foreign-policy victories, intends to buoy this success before stepping down.

Washington also feels under the gun in Bolivia because of China’s successful expansion in the country. ... Evo Morales sees his country’s development as his top priority, and the Chinese, unlike the Americans, have always viewed Bolivia as an ally and partner in a relationship that eschews double standards.

W = Obama =Trump
Different avatars for the same empire
Atlantis wrote:Unless you check with RT before posting, how can you know which protest movement to support and which to oppose ...

I have a pretty simple rule: the "protest movements" that are spearheaded by violent fascists and aspiring military dictators are the bad kind.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Are people on this thread actually trying to argu[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]