Vast protest in Hong Kong against extradition law - Page 52 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

#15049508
Ter wrote:Iran is in big trouble with its own population, her best friends in the Middle East, Hezbollah, is also in dire straits and the boss of her other friends the Islamic Jihad, got his commeuppance after shooting rockets into Israeli civilian populations.
And Syria lies in ruins...


You forgot Venezuela.
#15049510
Rancid wrote:You forgot Venezuela.

Yes, thank you.
And come to think of it,Bolivia !
As of today, the news from the Middle East is not very cheerful for the people siding with the Arabs.
Oh well, life is a soup and we are the meatballs.
#15049522
Thunderhawk wrote:Suicides are (in the West) usually not covered by the news, so Im curious how its reported and recorded in HK. Is this an actual surge in suicides, a surge in reports (rather than labeling it accidents to save face.. if such a cultural thing exists), or a surge in publicity? I was under the impression (correct me if Im wrong) that HK had an elevated suicide problem akin to Japan's.

Normally I would dismiss these suicides as suicides, but seeing how insane the police gets, I am not so sure. The hysterical protesters will claim these are all murder cases, police will say otherwise, it is hard to say.
People generally rally behind the first two deaths because it seems there's more suspicion. Too much rumors and fake news floating around these days and nobody to trust.
#15049526
benpenguin wrote:Normally I would dismiss these suicides as suicides, but seeing how insane the police gets, I am not so sure. The hysterical protesters will claim these are all murder cases, police will say otherwise, it is hard to say.
People generally rally behind the first two deaths because it seems there's more suspicion. Too much rumors and fake news floating around these days and nobody to trust.


There is a history in traditional China in which people commit suicide to shame an oppressor. Self-immolation would be such a case; however, I don't think the cases discussed here fall under this category.
#15049621


benpenguin wrote:Quick answers to skinster:
The dead girl is called 陳彥霖, she is on her school swimming team, found drowned and naked in the harbour.


Surely you must know that if she was killed by HK police, this would be all over the Western media. It is not. Chances are, she was killed by someone in HK or elsewhere who've fled to another city where they can avoid extradition for their crime. Oh wait...

from the videos they are not really trying to grab police gun, one just taunting and the other attacking with a plastic rod - they deserve to be arrested perhaps but gunning them down is rather disproportionate.


Actually it's very clear from the videos I posted the protester was trying to grab a gun from a cop who was fighting with another protester. Being arrested would be nice in a perfect world, but you know in the U.S. you don't even need to attack a cop before being shot.
#15049629
skinster wrote:https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1196880826941628416?s=20



Surely you must know that if she was killed by HK police, this would be all over the Western media. It is not. Chances are, she was killed by someone in HK or elsewhere who've fled to another city where they can avoid extradition for their crime. Oh wait...



Actually it's very clear from the videos I posted the protester was trying to grab a gun from a cop who was fighting with another protester. Being arrested would be nice in a perfect world, but you know in the U.S. you don't even need to attack a cop before being shot.


Western Media is a bit tired of the protest by now. Unless there is major events ongoing then they are not going to report it. A death of a 1 protester or an old man from a brick is not major. The only media that actually cares about the whole think in HK is British media. Most European media had their interest but now its more to the point if something big happens like the PolyU siege or concessions/crackdowns. Its not that people don't care but constantly running HK on TV is not interesting viewership vise for those channels.
#15049648
JohnRawls wrote:Western Media is a bit tired of the protest by now.


It's on the front pages here.

Unless there is major events ongoing then they are not going to report it. A death of a 1 protester or an old man from a brick is not major.


Actually the media in the West cares more about the use of tear gas rather than a man set on fire.
#15049661
skinster wrote:It's on the front pages here.



Actually the media in the West cares more about the use of tear gas rather than a man set on fire.


Yeah, UK media is obsessed about Hk because it is its foreign territory. In the mainland we get only major events. Currently its on front pages everywhere because of the PolyU siege but it will die down for a bit again after. As for tear gas, i am not sure. I know HK people are obsessed with it but i didn't notice much about it in European press and even UK press. Isn't that a bit too low profile thing to report?
#15049763
Rancid wrote:I was tear gassed once. It sucks. :hmm:

It's not the worst thing though. I'm sure getting set on fire sucks worse. :hmm:

I had a full gas course in the army of not just tear gas. There was one of them that gets in to your ears which is especially annoying.
#15049876
skinster wrote:HK is more CIA/NED bullshit in what is ultimately China and y'all are losing there too, while showing how much you support kids who enjoy bricking people or setting people who disagree with them on fire. The same happened in Syria about 8 years ago. Sorry I keep being right about this shit, but I can't help paying attention to material reality in favour of my government's foreign policy reports like a retarded cuck.


The parallel with China does not stand because in Syria it was the rebels who wanted to effect change, in this case it is China who is trying to lower the human and civic rights of the people of Hong Kong, the protesters are uprising to uphold their existing rights against Chinese attempts to sap them away. In the other thread you are arguing for the police and against the people. Mama mia.
#15049879
noemon wrote:The parallel with China does not stand because in Syria it was the rebels who wanted to effect change...


Yes it does insofar as this is CIA bullshit.

in this case it is China who is trying to lower the human and civic rights of the people of Hong Kong,


You mean that country that has lifted 800 million people out of poverty?

the protesters are uprising to uphold their existing rights against Chinese attempts to sap them away.


The protesters are rising up because of outside influence (there's a clue in those Union Jack and U.S. flags they parade around in)

In the other thread you are arguing for the police and against the people. Mama mia.


No, I'm pointing out how the cops are more restrained than the protesters that are attacking the random public, setting them and their trains on fire, etc.

FTP all day every day, but fuck these savage rightwing assholes you're apologising for too.

Also, HK = China. :)
#15049896
skinster wrote:Yes it does insofar as this is CIA bullshit.
You mean that country that has lifted 800 million people out of poverty?
The protesters are rising up because of outside influence (there's a clue in those Union Jack and U.S. flags they parade around in)


The protesters are protesting new Chinese laws encroaching on their personal freedoms. Such a cause does not require CIA puppeteering to make people rise. China did not lift Hong Kong out of poverty and there is the problem.

No, I'm pointing out how the cops are more restrained than the protesters that are attacking the random public, setting them and their trains on fire, etc.

FTP all day every day, but fuck these savage rightwing assholes you're apologising for too.

Also, HK = China. :)


You 're lost in battle mode. Hello(echoes)
#15050018
skinster wrote:https://twitter.com/liamstone_19/status/1197193903272681472?s=20


I actually took picture on a similar instance myself, but that kind of act does not represent everybody. In fact, those anti-protesters often resort to violence in "stopping" the mere nuisance caused by the protesters. In addition, some urban metro lines moving people into the city centre are simply too overcrowded that they are going to be clogged up, blockage or not.

From personal experience, using another metro line, and then changing over to my usual one in the other direction were enough for commuting blockage-free -- and I sometimes find myself actually commuted faster than usual. Had the protesters been unreasonable I would have enjoyed no such freedom.

In conclusion, that post is yet another exaggeration and distortion of facts, with the sole aim to smear protesters. And this poster yet again shared such kind of "information" without any doubt, showing his true colours.
Last edited by Patrickov on 21 Nov 2019 16:28, edited 3 times in total.
#15050020
Rancid wrote:I was tear gassed once. It sucks. :hmm:

It's not the worst thing though. I'm sure getting set on fire sucks worse. :hmm:


Two problems for tear gas.

1. It does not just harm protesters. Anybody having the misfortune of living or working nearby would have to suffer the residue. And by "anybody" it means up to 80% of Hong Kong population, because at the height of it, the police indiscriminately released tear gas almost everywhere.

2. The tear gas is generally believed to be from China, a place where product quality has no guarantee. Even the police themselves admit that their tear gas may contain dioxin. That means they are intentionally making us (and unintentionally, themselves) easier to catch cancer and die horribly. If I have to invent a term for this, it would be "chronic genocide".

This reddit discussion contains a map estimating the level of dioxin around Hong Kong. The apparent clear area are mostly country parks or places without significant population.
#15050032
Patrickov wrote:1. It does not just harm protesters. Anybody having the misfortune of living or working nearby would have to suffer the residue. And by "anybody" it means up to 80% of Hong Kong population, because at the height of it, the police indiscriminately released tear gas almost everywhere.


That's exactly how I was tear gassed. Back in the early 2000s, there were massive protests/riots around Miami during the whole Elian Gonzalez thing between the US and Cuba. I was out with a friend (photography was his hobby) taking photos of what was going on. We were far away from the rioters, but the tear gas cloud the cops shot out to disperse the rioters ended up moving right over us. :hmm:
#15050072
noemon wrote:The protesters are protesting new Chinese laws encroaching on their personal freedoms.


You mean the extradition law for people indulging in things like corruption, rape, murder etc. that isn't a thing anymore?

Such a cause does not require CIA puppeteering to make people rise.


Your opinion is nice and all but there is evidence of NED/CIA involvement in the protests, which I've posted in the thread on this topic. You ignoring it doesn't stop it from being reality.

China did not lift Hong Kong out of poverty and there is the problem.


Once HK is fully under China's rule, things will be better for the people of HK, I'm sure.

You 're lost in battle mode. Hello(echoes)


Not sure what you're trying to say here but if this is your only response to me pointing out the protesters are more violent than the cops and have more blood on their hands, OK.

MistyTiger wrote:My manager is annoying when she complains about the weather. She knows I walk outside in most weather. I am an outdoorsy type, love being out in nature. I have loved it since I was a baby. She is afraid of cold and heat. Well then she should live in a temperature controlled room. Annoying bitch.


:D

quetzalcoatl wrote:Remember that most, if not all news, is fake. Trump is quite correct about this in general, although he is invariably wrong in detail (as is his wont). There was a brief interregnum in the mid-twentieth century when the various news media were run by corporations (or the occasional oddball millionaire) as a loss-leader for respectability, and a certain limited independence of journalism held sway.

That's all dead and gone. Corporate news media now function exclusively as a division of corporate communications. They are expected to rigorously adhere, in story selection and treatment, to the interests of their owners.

For Christ's sake, don't buy into the that hoary shibboleth about liberal media. Liberal/conservative is not a value that enters into the boardrooms of corporations. The political views they propagate are directly supportive of corporate income streams and maintenance of the existing oligarchy.

NYT is fake. MSNBC is fake. CNN is fake. Fox News is fake. Washington Post is fake.

So this shouldn't be shocking or even disturbing. It was standard practice since the invention of movable type for media to advocate for specific interests or political viewpoints.

You can still find good sources, but you have to have to cultivate your skepticism, particularly in regard to your own biases. What's most important is a highly refined BS filter.


You might enjoy Joe Rogan's recent chat with journalist Matt Taibbi. They talk a lot about the fucked up nature of U.S. media.
#15050081
skinster wrote:You mean the extradition law for people indulging in things like corruption, rape, murder etc. that isn't a thing anymore?


Indulging in things that bother the Chinese dictatorship.

Your opinion is nice and all but there is evidence of NED/CIA involvement in the protests, which I've posted in the thread on this topic. You ignoring it doesn't stop it from being reality. Not sure what you're trying to say here but if this is your only response to me pointing out the protesters are more violent than the cops and have more blood on their hands, OK.


What I am trying to say is that you are wrong, we both know you are wrong and that is why in your previous message you are trying to accuse me of defending "right-wing thugs" without of course me doing anything of the sort. You are incredibly wrong, you are aware of it and because you are aware of it instead of conversation you are trying to fling mud at all directions even at people that are historically positive towards you. The CIA nonsense you repeat like a broken record as if they have any effect on anyone other than yourself have not been ignored in the other thread, they have been addressed. But I guess since you have no actual argument, you will be repeating the catchphrase like there is no tomorrow. You have chosen your side which is anything that can be anti-western and that blinds you to the actual reality of the very real and very basic facts:

skinster wrote:Once HK is fully under China's rule, things will be better for the people of HK, I'm sure.


You sound like an Israeli apologist claiming that once Israel officially annexes the West Bank and Gaza things will be better for the people of these territories. When in fact what you should be saying is: "Let the people of .......... decide what they want to be".

-------

If your argument is that the CIA has bought off over a million Hong Kong protesters who have average salaries higher than the average salaries of CIA employees and that all these rich people from Hong Kong wake up every day and follow instructions of their CIA handlers who happen to be poorer than them, then you should explain why this kind of magical CIA organisation has not managed to convince a similar number of very poor Palestinians to do its bidding. That is not to say that the CIA has no involvement as I have previously said she most likely does but the CIA has been involved in every major incident in the planet since at least World War 2. Your placard is a truism akin to the fact that the sky is blue. The presence of the CIA(if any) and the US's very minimal token support does not delegitimise the protesters or their cause. Besides the Chinese "CIA" is understood to be far more reaching and powerful in that part of the world. Just because the US has decided to offer very minimal token support to the people of Hong Kong it does not mean that their cause is tainted by the American "evil" nor does it mean that wherever the Americans decide to interfere which is everywhere that automatically places the side that receives American support as the "bad guys". You have the capability to understand that this logic does not actually stand. Just like the American logic that whoever the Russians support is evil by default also does not stand. Some of us call them all(US, China, Russia) as we see fit according to the occasion instead of playing stooges for the superpower of choice. Surely you can appreciate the importance of this.
  • 1
  • 50
  • 51
  • 52
  • 53
  • 54
  • 58

And here is the proof of what I am saying. This […]

How to become an EU citizen

I'm sorry, but none of that makes any sense whats[…]

Divine decadence empowers fascists

But what about the sexual culture in the SA leade[…]

@Truth To Power You still do not understand. Y[…]